82%
NO
18%

Total votes: 22

Baketsu
Feral Cat

Baketsu's crazy Idea of the Day.

Post by Baketsu »

I recently got an idea from playing my Gameboy advance SP. I usually play it in bed while trying to fall asleep as the little LCD screen seems to induce sleepyness in my and am Playing FF: Dawn of Souls on it.... Anyways, I was thinging about building a machine for my bedroom that would be capable of playing FFXI, I would like to build a machine they would need no fan (the noise would drive me crazy), and have a small 15" LCD monitor on my night stand and i could use my PS2+Keyboard controller to play the game with, I have a net drop in the bedroom, anyways....The only stubling block would be finding ne system between 2.5 and 1.8 GHZ that wouldn't need a fan and a power supply that wouldn't need a fan, The Hard drive would make noise, but I could insulate it it guess...... I don't need a monster video card, somethign in middle Radeon or Nivida range without a fan would work just fine.... Am i crazy or just plain insane for thinking about building a system like this? I wonder if I could be laying in bed playing FFXI subconciously....I have found myself doing this on the SP..... So rather than sleep walking, I may be sleep playing, as long as I don't sell all my gear!!!!!!
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

One word. Shuttle.

I probably spelled it wrong.

Think about a 19" or 21" though.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
sakono
Housecat

Post by sakono »

it is possible.... you'd have to find a way to keep it all cool if you don't want any fans.. i think liohs or some one in irc showed pics a system in a tank full of oil that was saposed to work and keep it cool. talk to liohs on irc he might now a way...
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

I have seen liquid coolant systems for PCs on sale at a local shop.. but the were rather.. um.. expensive.

You can always take pointers from Largo at Megatokyo...

http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=403
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Even liquid cooled systems require a fan or two for cooling off the radiators. Or at least the water-cooled system on my comp does.
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

yes I do have internal fans, but my external EXO-2 Koolance Watercooling system has 2 top fans that it expells the heat with XD

oh and SHUTTLEC*CK.... btw i play badmitten, I jsut wanted to turn that into a really bad joke :lol: :mrgreen: :rofl: :angel:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

The shuttle relies on heat pipe tech to cool the CPU. You will still have some fans, power supply and Vid card, but one big one will be gone.

When the liquid cooling sets first came out, I thought it would be quieter, but they use it to move the fan, not elimanite it. A passive radatior would work, but it would have to be larger and perhaps more exposed. How many BTUs/hour, or Kilocalories if you prefer, does a modern CPU put out anyway?

Hmmmm... Calculis.... Theromodynamics.... Mass and heat transfer equations.... its been a while.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

o_0 a beer cooled system... that could actually work and would be really funny!

(plus it would get you to go to sleep fast. tired = alcohol = nap time)
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

Not much faith in my sanity on this board is there!! :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Tailfeather
Housecat

Post by Tailfeather »

bakubakubaku kaboom! :oops: :lol:
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

Well I've gotten a new PC from a friend not long ago to replace the slow @$$ one that I had and a really noticiable difference is the loudness of the fan (old one really loud, new one hardly notice it).

With the old computer the only fan was right at the edge where the opening is for the vent. Now with the new one the fan is on the motherboard over the processor chip to cool it and has and extention to add a direct path from the vent opening to the fan.

Also if you build a computer and want it quiet get an aluminum case if I remember right. I'll double check it and edit this post with the answer.

Edit: Opps got the metals wrong, if you want light and styleish go with aluminum. If you want less portible and more noise reduction from Hard Drive and other internal components then get Steel.
"Mithras make every job look sexy"

Name:Narufugihara
Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Crafts: GS-3, FISH-12, COOK-7, CC-1, WW-3
Swimsuit: Top +1 [X] Bottom +1 [X]

Mules: Narunarusagawa (all my mules are gonna start with Naru >^_^<)

NPC Friend: Yoli Kohlpaka

Jobs I plan to take to AF lvl: WHM, DRG
Jaela
Tomcat

Post by Jaela »

Well Baketsu, you could always move to alaska...
Back to FFXI, Hades! Level 55 Thief! Glee!
[img]http://img293.echo.cx/img293/3043/jaela3ez.jpg[/img]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Baketsu's crazy Idea of the Day.

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Baketsu's crazy Idea of the Day.

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт