Current State of FFXI

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

As I have sat here, I have thought about the annoying things I am going to have to do over.. :o

Subjob quest
Kahzam Key
Choco license
Adv Job quest depending on what job combo I decide on.
Gobbie bags...

:shock:

Meh.... :roll:
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Something I am giving serious debate to is in fact doing something completely different.

Blm to 15 for Subjob
Whm to 30 for Adv job
That strikes me as the quickest way to 30 to get adv jobs.

Unlocking...dun dun dun...

Dragoon/Sam

Because lets just Face it..Dragoon AF + Mithra = Hot
Sam because I think...could be wrong here its abilities as a sub enhances Drg damage output.

Toss me some feedback if you could, everyone here knows how I feel about innane job combo's. If I have picked one because I am out of date on job abilities and such let me know.

The other combo I am toying with the idea of is Pld/Rdm
Taking advantage of Stoneskin, Phalanx and such..
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Tivia wrote:Blm to 15 for Subjob
Whm to 30 for Adv job
That strikes me as the quickest way to 30 to get adv jobs.
IMHO the fastest way to 30 is slightly different. RDM to 18 and the subjob quest, WHM/RDM to 30. RDM/- can solo for decent EXP/hour well beyond L 18 Flag up all the while. You have the advantage of being a healer both trips, all the way.

If you are good as BLM though, soloing BLM to 20 is said to take a day or two. I assume that is with a subjob.
Tivia wrote:Dragoon/Sam

Because lets just Face it..Dragoon AF + Mithra = Hot
Sam because I think...could be wrong here its abilities as a sub enhances Drg damage output.
Oh my yes. Both counts. /SAM is mostly past 60. Have /WAR till then at least.
Tivia wrote:The other combo I am toying with the idea of is Pld/Rdm
Taking advantage of Stoneskin, Phalanx and such..
A hot soloing combo as is PLD/WHM. For tanking in EXP parties it is still PLD/WAR onry. For merit parties the DDing PLD/NIN is popular. There has been talk by Squenix of giving PLD a Provoke like JA.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Ok,

So the curing just does not generate enough hate for PLD then I take it? Until or IF SE gives PLD a provoke.
I imagine it would be /war then due to my general ditest for solo.

Ok so then if both are /war...hmm the Debate Drg or Pld...both have interesting promise. :?:
Igihstehr
Tomcat

Post by Igihstehr »

:o I was shocked when I went to recharge my whistle... I used it quite a bit and hate to pay that much for it.

If I toss it can I redo the Quest/Game with the next chocobo I raise? If so, it's gone...
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/891925608_d883ad1e18_o.jpg[/img]
[size=75].:|DRG 58|WHM 42|THF 32|BLM 30|SAM 30|BLU 29|WAR 28|BRD 26|NIN 20|SMN 18|RNG 18|MNK 16|DRK 13|PLD 10|RDM 7|:.
San D'Oria Rank 7 || Cooking 22 | Woodworking 47 | Fishing 20 | Alchemy 10[/size]
Igihstehr
Tomcat

Post by Igihstehr »

:o I was shocked when I went to recharge my whistle... I used it quite a bit and hate to pay that much for it.

If I toss it can I redo the Quest/Game with the next chocobo I raise? If so, it's gone...
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/891925608_d883ad1e18_o.jpg[/img]
[size=75].:|DRG 58|WHM 42|THF 32|BLM 30|SAM 30|BLU 29|WAR 28|BRD 26|NIN 20|SMN 18|RNG 18|MNK 16|DRK 13|PLD 10|RDM 7|:.
San D'Oria Rank 7 || Cooking 22 | Woodworking 47 | Fishing 20 | Alchemy 10[/size]
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

New whistles will cost the same price as it does to recharge them if not more.

I think you only get the mini-quest event (the whole, chicobo won't sleep, carry around new hanky for awhile, blah blah) with the first chocobo you raise, its not repeated with any more chocobos.

Could be wrong though- I've had the same whistle since it became available.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Tivia wrote:So the curing just does not generate enough hate for PLD then I take it?

Ok so then if both are /war...hmm the Debate Drg or Pld...both have interesting promise. :?:
A PLD has superior hate holding abilities from the many little tricks it has. Provoke, Warcry, and even a quick Berserk INSTANTLY shut off are among them. Defender is more than just nice. Without /WAR a PLDs hate holding abilities would be as poor as the average NIN, if not worse.

It is said that a good Taru PLD/WHM can tank and main heal. I would like to see that in action sometime.

And why not PLD and DRG? They both /WAR after all....
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Well, Initially I do not plan on leveling two jobs to 75. That may eventually occur but for the time being I am just looking for the primary.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

I've heard of some PLDs managing hate pretty well with /rdm as well- light enfeebling, Phalanx, enspells and Curing seem to hold a surprising amount of hate as well.

/war is stil lthe preferred sub though- until TP burns anyway.
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:Sam because I think...could be wrong here its abilities as a sub enhances Drg damage output.
You're wrong, though it's not far off /WAR and still a widely used and acceptable sub.
Blm to 15 for Subjob
Might as well push it up a few more levels for Warp :)
ScarlettPheonix wrote:/war is still the preferred sub though- until TP burns anyway.
I still prefer the PLD's to do /WAR in TP burns. /NIN just seems like a wasted space, not DDing well and you're not tanking either :oops: MP just used for Flash and the emergency heal. Provoke, Warcry and Flash seem to keep hate fine or at least long enough.

Think I heard something about PLD/DRK but that might just be for gods and stuff.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

A well equipped PLD/nin can actually do very well in a TP Burn set up and are surprisingly self-sufficient. In TP Burns, PLDs need very little babysitting, which makes for a refreshing change :roll:

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

ScarlettPheonix wrote:....which makes for a refreshing change :roll:
:rofl:

Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:A well equipped PLD/nin can actually do very well in a TP Burn set up and are surprisingly self-sufficient. In TP Burns, PLDs need very little babysitting, which makes for a refreshing change :roll:
{/grin}

Actually, I can put out near the same numbers as most of your DDs. Am I throwing out 1200+ Rampages? Nah, not /NIN. I might be able to do that as /WAR tho. (Cleared 1100+ on Vorpal Blade before, and my gear has gotten better since)

But Phe's right there, as a PLD/NIN in a burn pt, when I wasn't the main tank, I've ended up tanking before. I hit for near as much as a WAR/NIN per hit, and my Double Attack in my off-hand thanks to Joyeuse is just about as consistent, so my TP gain isn't far behind. Plus Flash does get a good bit of hate. =^.^=
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I've had PLD/NINs that have tanked for all of 10 seconds, even with a THF there to TA them :oops:
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

That's 10 seconds where an actual tank it sucking up some of the mobs attention though. ^.^
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Ok so If I go PLD /war is the way to go. Confirmed on that no problem.

I still fail to understand Drg with /war. Drg strikes me as a dps type class with limited tanking ability. Is this information just out of date? I was thinking it would be better suited to a class that would boost its ability to dish damage.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Well, /WAR isn't just for tanking, you have to look at it's damage dealing side too. Berserk ups your Attack by 25%, but drops your defense the same. That extra 25% attack can seriously boost damage. Plus /WAR also gives (tho I can't remember what level at) an Attack Bonus, helping kick the damage a teensy bit higher. So /WAR isn't just about the Provoke. ^^
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

War's Attack Bonus never gets kicked in on Drg I believe. The initial level of 99% of Job Traits never stack. (Like Clear Mind I never stacks, but the levels after it will.)

Drg already gets Atk Bonus I and Acc Bonus I as job traits.

/War has Berserk, Double Attack, and Warcry. Warcry is very short lived, but stacks with Berserk to essentially cap your attack on a WS or something.

A very close second, so close some say it beats it at times, is /Sam. Third Eye is always spiffy. Hasso gives a Str, Acc, and Haste bonus(All small, but still appreciated) to anyone using a 2-handed weapon, so it does apply to Lances. Zanshin is also quite spiffy(small chance to swing a second time if the first time misses.) And who can forget Meditate(60tp granted over a short time to /Sam). Not counting Store TP, as I think that Job Trait is too weak to even consider in.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

WAR sub provides you with;
Berserk - Attack+25% for 60% of the time (3min duration 5min timer)
Double Attack - 10% proc rate when subbed
Warcry - about Attack+10% but more of a hate tool than anything else.
Defense Bonus I - meh
Attack Bonus I - Yup doesn't stack with DRG's Attack Bonus I (from lv15 methinks).

SAM sub provides you with;
Hasso - Acc+10 Haste+10% STR+5 (at 75)
Meditate - 60% TP every... 3mins?
Seigan + Third Eye - Not of much use when you have hate shedding Jumps.
Zanshin - the JT that gets better as you get worse!

Really comes down to Berserk + Double Attack vs Hasso + Meditate and the former comes out on top.
If Hasso had an Attack boost over STR it might put it on top, if anything the extra Accuracy allows you to use more Attack/STR gear than usual.

I use WAR/SAM in Besieged for the extra accuracy bonus and Meditate and Zanshin rarely procs but it's kinda hard to tell if it's Zanshin or Double Attack kicking in.

Edit: I think /WAR has an extra STR+2 over /SAM naturally so really Hasso is giving you a net of STR+3 (practically nothing).

Edit again: I believe you get an extra 1 TP/hit with /SAM's Store TP :P
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

So if I go Drg, /War or /Sam are really a tossup as to which is most effective?

Now here is an interesting question, how would drg stack with another dps class such as Cor? Is that just getting too far spread out as far as pairing up abilities or does that potentially yield interesting yet still viable skills?

I am having to actually start to consider this much more seriously, due to Vg simply continuing to do things that I find grevious. My class which is the class everyone recognizes as broken and already hardly anyone wants in the group due to uselessness just got nerfed for no apparent reason. :cry:

I am at the point now where if there is not some serious change by the time Live Update #2 comes out, or I am level 50 whichever happens to come first, I am just going to have to revist the game in 6 months or so. I used to be patient enough to ride this development curve out, that was when I was paying $9.99/mo for Original EQ when it launched. Forking out $15/mo and investing a Ton of my free time into a game, I just no longer have the patience to deal with a client that imo is still a Phase 2 beta client. I make that judgement from over 10 years of Beta testing the vast majority of the MMO's out from the very earliest stages of beta.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Tivia wrote:So if I go Drg, /War or /Sam are really a tossup as to which is most effective?
Its situational. Sometimes the raw power of /WAR is needed, sometimes the Acc and damage avoidance of /SAM.

I had a party, NOT in the mire. Me RDM/WHM, 3 melee/NIN, a BRD/NIN, a DRG/SAM. The DRG/SAM took 60% of the Cures but was neither a MP sponge nor a problem. As /WAR he would have been both.
Tivia wrote:Now here is an interesting question, how would drg stack with another dps class such as Cor? Is that just getting too far spread out as far as pairing up abilities or does that potentially yield interesting yet still viable skills?
COR does decent DPS, but is a support class. With DRG you need to look at what kind of Wivern you get as well, I believe that /COR would get you a balanced Wivern but don't know.

Other than one active roll, I have no idea what /COR brings to a job. Sorrry.

Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Yeah, the ToAU jobs were one of each. Pup=Offensive Wyvern, Cor=Balenced Wyvern, Blu=Mage Wyvern. I assume like /Brd, /Cor will only allow one roll....hmm....that's only one roll a minute, pretty crappy for a healing breath. Maybe I'm wrong and it's an offensive Wyvern?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Interesting, so subjob determines Wyvern type...

Is there a list anywhere that shows what type of Wyvern you get with each job?
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Dragoon's Wyvern
Your support job choice affects the behavior of your wyvern. There are three types of behavior; Offensive, Defensive, Multipurpose. As of the March 7,2007 wyverns now do actions with the following emotes: /blush/bow/cheer/clap/dance/goodbye/hurray/joy/panic/point/salute/surprised/wave

Offensive Wyvern
If you have any of the following support jobs, your Wyvern will be an offensive Wyvern. This means it will use an Elemental Breath attack against the enemy. The Elemental Breath is triggered by the use of a Weaponskill.

No Subjob
Beastmaster
Monk
Puppetmaster
Ranger
Samurai
Summoner
Thief
Warrior
Corsair

Defensive Wyvern
If you have any of the following support jobs, your Wyvern will be a defensive Wyvern. It will use Healing Breath after the Dragoon casts any spell while any party member (including the Dragoon) is at 1/3 HP or lower. The amount cured is based on the Wyvern's max HPs. It will remove status effects upon the use of a Weaponskill.

White Mage
Black Mage
Blue Mage
Red Mage

Multipurpose Wyvern
If you have any of the following support jobs, your Wyvern will be a multipurpose Wyvern. The Wyvern will use both Elemental Breath attacks and Healing Breath effects. Unlike a defensive wyvern, the multipurpose wyvern cannot heal party members or remove status effects.

Paladin
Dark Knight
Ninja
Bard

FFXIclopedia ftw^^

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

COR is a poor choice of sub, explained it before and won't bother again.

Phantom Roll is a Job Ability not a Spell, hence /COR gives offensive Wyvern type.
I had a party, NOT in the mire. Me RDM/WHM, 3 melee/NIN, a BRD/NIN, a DRG/SAM. The DRG/SAM took 60% of the Cures but was neither a MP sponge nor a problem. As /WAR he would have been both.
Sounds like that DRG wasn't using his/her Jumps properly. I've always gone /WAR and I rarely take any beatings.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:
Sounds like that DRG wasn't using his/her Jumps properly. I've always gone /WAR and I rarely take any beatings.
No, remember all the rest were /NIN with Ni available. They take little damage. Also remember that when a mob wipes a shadow, hate is lost. When Sawhatever and 3rd eye kicks in just right, you counter. End result, DRG was usually hate leader with less damage avoidance than the /NINs.

Like I said, he was not a problem at all, I didn't even Convert as often as once in 1/2 hour.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Bah, hate loss from Utsusemi is minimal at best. He wasn't watching his hate but with 2 forms of hate and damage mitigation he didn't really need to.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Ok thanks all,

That answered my questions.

Tossing the /Cor idea.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Question,

If I buy the 360 Version of FFXI, since I can't get a copy that looks as good for the PS3. Can the username/password I create for the console, work on a PC as well? I like the idea of the ease of the console, but at the same time I want the flexibility of being able to log in on the PC just the same. Could anyone confirm for me if this is possible?