"We've gone from Summer to Winter in an hour!"

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

"We've gone from Summer to Winter in an hour!"

Post by Keavy »

That pretty much sums up Sacramento. Last week we had highs in the 90's, it was bright and sunshine-y, and today we've got highs in the low 70's and rain is forecasted for Wednesday.

It'll keep getting colder and we'll get more rain until low-lying areas start to flood (Near the end of December to the beginning of January) and the DWR will whine about how the flood planes are near capacity and how disaster is imminent and "Why didn't Gray Davis and Schwarzenegger give us more money???"

Then around the end of March to mid-April we'll suddenly go from the 60's and rain to the 90's and sun again.

Then by June we'll be in triple-digits and CAL-ISO will tell us that we are stressing out the power grid so stores will cut down to "Mood lighting" and then the rolling blackouts and news stories about the elderly and poor dying from the heat and the coroner's office will complain about running out of room.

Then we'll go back to now: Suddenly going from heat and sunshine to cold and gloom.

"It's the circle of life"
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

60-70's is winter for you? :lol:
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

:lol:

I moved over a year ago from Georgia to New Hampshire and I'm still not reconciled to the temperatures up here. It very rarely gets above 85 degrees all year where I am so I've been freezing my butt off for the past year.

I got the strangest looks this past lolsummer when everyone else would be in T-Shirts and shorts while I was wearing jeans and sweaters. :roll:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

ScarlettPheonix, don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I have a friend who moved from FL to Seattle, a far more clement climate than NH. In the same climate zone as most of GA for that matter. It has been over eight years now and he STILL hasn't adjusted.

/comfort

Yes Keavy, Sacto is like that. One day inland valley weather, the next costal weather. And then there are the days it sweeps down from the mountains. Be happy those last days are rare.

Is Little Joe's Steakhouse still in busness? Had the cheapest steaks I had seen for years. It was on the east side IIRC.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

I like SF weather -- 50 and foggy is shirt-sleeve to me. Anyway, here's a funny winter story. My brother joined Peace Corp and went off to Africa -- Niger. The Sohel (sub-sarhara) winter is about 80 degrees. It gets up to around 120 in summer. I went out to visit him one Christmas.

One morning we're out in the bush kinda semi-camping. I wake up a bit late and exit the hut. It's HOT -- like 75 or so -- so I'm wearing almost nothing. I walk outside and see him and all his peace-corp friends in their sleeping bags huddled around the fire drinking hot tea and such to stay warm. They couldn't understand why I wasn't shivering and covered in goose-bumps. They actually felt it was freezing cold outside.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Well, winter in Sacramento means daytime highs in the low 60's if we're lucky and into the low 30's at night with lots of rain and fog.

I used to live in Seattle (for ten years to be exact) and I hate it when it gets like this in Sacramento because I get homesick. On a day like this I wanna head down to Pike Place Market and get some fresh Clam Chowder. Then I remember Pike Place is 1,000 miles north of me and well :(
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

I like SF weather
I have heard it is warmer in the winter, and colder in the summer, there.
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Ive always wanted to visit another state other than Cali. I went to North Carolina once though. It was hot in the morning, hotter in the evening, hotter and humid when it rained, and just annoyingly hot when we slept. This of course was doing the summer time. As for California weather, its generally warm all year round, occasional rain of course. During winter it's a bit chilly if the sun isnt out. Still usually always warm, just the way I like it. :lol: Then again I live in Southern California, dunno how it is in Northern.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Bay area where I am it's pretty much 60'ish winter, 70'ish summer. I rarely have to turn the heat on. I own a jacket, but don't know where it is -- probably in the box with my ski gear. It never gets cold enough to put a sweater on. Sometimes it's cold enough to wear shoes instead of sandals, though.
Rinni
Tomcat

Post by Rinni »

I live in Scotland.

Nuff said.

:D

Rinni
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I live in England, nuff said x2 :lol:
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I still live in Japan, more to be said, but im not going to say it. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

For those of us who are not familiar with the climate of Scotland and England could you please elaborate?
Gabryel
Tomcat

Post by Gabryel »

I also live in NH (for 27 years) and 3 words pretty much sum it up: It's freakin' cold!
Rhydia of Caitsith is back! 75WAR, WHM, SMN

"Death is not the end but a gateway to a new beginning."
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Last week, Portland, OR had highs in the upper 80s. Today, the high was 69 or so.

We also have the most sporadic rain ever.
Rinni
Tomcat

Post by Rinni »

well put it this way, my ex used to say that here in scotland we have two seasons. winter and july.

out warmest days during the summer get to about 28oC which is about 80oF

in the winter, your talking about temperatures as low as -5oc (or 28oF)

it gets very cold here. in feburary of this year, we had about 4 foot of snow.

i was in florida 2 -3 weeks ago, i was struggling to wear shorts and t-shirt i felt it that warm, and i found it bizare that people were walking about in jumpers and jeans.

oh and on another note. it rains almost all the time here.

england is a little better than scotland, not much, but a little better, the summers down there get to about 34oC.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

At least in Scotland the weather is predictable, it's completely random in England :lol:

Americans always complain when they come over here... pussies :lol:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Hmm...28 Degree winters? Four feeet of snow? 8)

I would so kill to have that type of weather. In NH 28 degrees is warm in the middle of the winter. Its not unusual for it to drop to -20 degrees farenheit (or worse) before adding in the wind speed which usually drops it another 10 or so degrees. When that happens the schools are usually closed because its too cold for the buses to start up.

Last year's snow fall wasn't too bad, I don't think we had more then four feet of snow on the ground at any one time but we've often had up to 6 or more feet of snow on the ground after a week of repeated Nor'easters.
I actually grew up in NH and ME before joining the service~ but 10 years spent south of the Mason-Dixon and in Korea thinned my blood out :lol:

My aunt lives in Upper NY right by the Great Lakes and she typically gets 10 feet of snow each winter due to lake effect weather.

Can't blame people for not liking random weather Sugami, who wants to walk out of their house expecting it to be clear only to be caught in a downpour
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Rinni
Tomcat

Post by Rinni »

wow, that's pretty insane. i remember it snowed here last april. i remember cause we had just got my puppies. and i remember then diving and dashing about in the snow and them trying to eat it. it was funny to watch. i remember making a snow ball for them to catch. i'd throw it and they chase it, but it would disapear into the snow. they'd stand there for a couple of minutes wondering where it had gone.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

The climate in England and Scotland is much like the Pacific Northwest. Mild summers, mild but wet winters. The sun is infrequent 9 months of the year.

I believe they have more humidity then we do, its usually 60 - 80% here even when it is raining. People often ask "how can that happen?" I just point at the sky and say "Well, up there somewhere its 100%." :lol:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: "We've gone from Summer to Winter in an hour!"

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: "We've gone from Summer to Winter in an hour!"

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting