Paragon of White Mage Excellence...almost...

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Paragon of White Mage Excellence...almost...

Post by Keavy »

Well, here's how the story starts: Its Friday, I have no work or classes, and I am still exhausted from my Crawler's nest Coffer Key and Chest hunt that resulted in me getting my Pantaloons so I decide to head off to Al Zaibi and look for a party.

I start chatting with people (I was bored and was looking for something, ANYTHING to do) and came across a WHM/NIN who assured me she could solo the Coffer Key mobs in Garlaige Citadel so off we went.

We get there, take out about a dozen Fallen Major's and Mage's all the while she's giving me incredible advice on how to make my enfeebles more effective when she pulls and says "Last one. I gotta go. Sorry." I told her I was just happy to have gotten to do SOMETHING when the key drops off that mob. We joke around about how she should say "Last mob, gotta go" before every pull next time and she leaves. I asked my LS if they could assist me in a Gate Breach after Besieged and they agreed so I went off to Valkurm Dunes to offer Raises to people.

Naturally no one needed a raise. So Besieged was a total failure and the LS decided to take a break and I decided "I'm gonna go to Jeuno and shout for a Gate Breach party." So I did and apparently there was some confusion because I had to tell at least five people that all I wanted was to get to the Coffer spawn points.

After a couple hours a few more people in need of Coffer keys and other AF-related activities popped. We discussed making an alliance, hit up as many level 75 friends as we all could (I couldn't find anyone) and off we went.

First to Garlaige Citadel to pop my Coffer, farm two keys, then pop those two Coffers. It was funny, too. I pop my Coffer (Behind Banishing Gate #3) then a key drops. RDM won the lot so he joins the Gate Breach team and 30 minutes later pops his Coffer then two keys drop so we pop the last Coffer and head off to The Eldieme Necropolis for another Coffer and two Bells (I already had mine. It was a gift from a friend that left the game.) Took us about 90 minutes to do that thanks to a Thief we picked up with TH3.

The WAR, who needed the Coffer for his AF hands, gets the rest of the quest and we grab a couple more level 75's (WHM and BLM) then head off to the Northlands for WHM AF3 and Dark Spark.

Once we assemble at Fei'Yin we go over the plan: PLD is main tank, WAR is backup and SATA partner, the BLM nukes, and the three WHM's heal. First two fights were textbook. No joke, we could have recorded them and put them on YouTube as an example of how to win WHM AF3. Then it was my turn. That's when the NM decided to go all out! The consensus was that my NM had Wheaties for breakfast. Spamming AM and Dimensional Death and to make matters worse, the Thief D/C's in the middle of all this! With him gone damage goes down big time, but the NM calmed down after that. At 1/4 health he catches his second wind and we're freaking out. PLD and WAR pop 2 hour's and before the PLD dies the NM's at a sliver of health so the BLM does an Elemental Seal + Burst II then me and the other 2 WHM's Holy and the f***er's STILL ALIVE!!! He has no discernible HP BUT HE LIVES!!!

After that massive spike in hate he slaughters us mage's leaving only the WAR alive with Utsu shadows falling fast so he starts screaming at me to Reraise so he can kill the NM and not get the drop, I'm screaming at him to get that thing away from me and I will then the Thief reappears, gets behind the mob and activates SATA so the WAR invites him, he does a Shark Bite (Even he was puzzled as to why he popped with 300% TP) and FINALLY the S.O.B. makes his little speech and I Reraise, lot on the mask, and heal.

After everyone has been revived and weakness has worn we decide to kill Dark Spark and hope he had a Lumberjack Breakfast :lol:

So Dark Spark...Only issue we had was his Bio spamming could not keep up with four people using Erase (Dark Spark uses Bio, WHM Erase, DS uses Bio, etc) so with that WAR got his flame, we all said our goodbye's and us WHM's head off to claim our AF Body pieces.

So yeah, I came real close to not getting mine, but I did so its all cool. Now I just need to gain 2 levels to wear it then go to Beadeaux, get the Coffer, then find some nice person to kill Dark Spark for me and I will be done with my WHM AF.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I never saw what was so difficult with AF. The first one was easy, found the storage hole in seconds after getting the Orcish food. The gloves were somewhat difficult getting someone to kil Darkspark for me, but after a day of looking I got one. Then I easily got the other coffer keys and chests (Played some music and camped just one spot 4 hours for the legs, 6 hours for the body peice.) And then finally I had a couple of buddys kill the NM's for my hat wich was a real breeze since one of them was a lvl 75 red mage. Then again I guess I just got lucky with all the help. Good luck with your AF Keavy, and train hard because theres a stinky old man who's just a waiting to fight you.. hehehe. And another thing, sucks that a Whm just has to stand there and absorb damage from Maat to win. I actually have to kill the old Bastard and he's got all my spells.. Suddenly Im not to happy for being one of the best soloing classes in the game, because that makes Maat the best soloing and he knows how to use it. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Yeah, that old S.O.B. must have a soft spot for us healers.

Who I feel bad for is the WHM's that busted their rumps to get their Club skill capped so they could Hexa Strike Maat to death.

Sure, with Hexa Strike and a Kracken's a WHM can produce some amazing numbers but honestly, I would rather take a beating for five minutes than have to Melee him as a WHM.

As for RDM Maat, best advice I hear is to solo your testimony. It gives you a chance to see what you're up against in the fight.

Now if only I could do that. Ya know, have a Goblin beat on me for five minutes then hand over a WHM Testimony :lol:

Then again, the player community sees my chosen profession as a lazy leech class currently...

Oh, and on my AF, the problem I had is the damn NM's and their love of Dimensional Death spamming. My next AF set is RDM and I hope that with a 75WHM and a few merits I'll have an easier time with it.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Keavy wrote: Sure, with Hexa Strike and a Kracken's a WHM can produce some amazing numbers but honestly, I would rather take a beating for five minutes than have to Melee him as a WHM.
You don't want to use a K-club against Maat :P
The club is very low damage and has an insanely fast attack rate which gives Maat more TP then you are actualy hurting him.
This means that before you have 100 TP he will probably have Asuran fisted you down.

Hexa strike is nice to have but it's only good if you have str gear and a club that does good damage like Darksteel maul (+1)

Also if you want to try the idea of subbing Nin for dual wield against Maat will be a no go.
in that fight your sub job will be disabled.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Maat does NOT need to build TP to use Asuran Fists.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Maat will use a random WS when he gets TP, he has been known to use Asurian Fists spamga without TP and for no apparently reason because SE are evil f**ks like that.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I F***ING HATE THAT OLD BASTARD!!!!! He cast bind on me, and SPAMMED THE CRAP out of Asuran Fist. My friend is a lvl 68 red mage, he lives in my barracks. He said he couldnt beat maat so I gave it a shot. Well needless to say I got pwned. I was gonnat try to take him at lvl 67 with my char but now that I saw how tough he is, im just gonna wait until I hit lvl 70. Still Agentblack will Kill Maat on the first try. That old bastard has it coming....
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Pheonixhawk wrote:I F***ING HATE THAT OLD BASTARD!!!!! He cast bind on me, and SPAMMED THE CRAP out of Asuran Fist. My friend is a lvl 68 red mage, he lives in my barracks. He said he couldnt beat maat so I gave it a shot. Well needless to say I got pwned. I was gonnat try to take him at lvl 67 with my char but now that I saw how tough he is, im just gonna wait until I hit lvl 70. Still Agentblack will Kill Maat on the first try. That old bastard has it coming....
From what I have heard RDM should not fight Maat until at least level 69 so they can use Aero III.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Yeah you'll want Aero III and if you can Fencer's Earring can save your butt at 70.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

RDMs have taken Maat at 66. I am not one of those RDMs.

The one thing you must have to beat his butt is luck. If he resists your sleeps you are dead. If he opens with Blink before you get in range, you are probably dead.

When I won everything went right. For once.

My best friend was lent ALL the hot gear for the fight. Think of L 70 RDM dream gear non Rare/Ex. She had it all. She practiced on Weapons till she could run her macros in her sleep. 18 attempts before she won..

In general, cap your Enfeebeling, Elemental, and Dark skills. Have a macro set for the fight and know it. Don't use silence. Don't take it personally.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

For WHM Maat I just plan on going the "Live for five minutes" route. I could spend months training and farming to get my skills up high enough to have a chance to melee him to death and the gear would support that, but healing is so much easier. Its an almost guaranteed win, and best of all I just do what I know best.

So yeah, while I do feel bad for Pheonix and the rest of you who actually have to fight him I won't join the club.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Dark Magic isn't needed, you won't have Drain or Aspir and you won't use Bio :P Enfeebling and Elemental is a must pretty much.

It's all down to luck pretty much, just hope he doesn't Asurian Fistga. Silence won't stick and if it does will last all of 5 seconds. Bind I think it pointless as it doesn't last long enough. Don't bother wasting time on recasting Blink and Stoneskin either, time is very much an issue.
Save Chainspell for 50% when he casts it and hope you have enough MP to finish him off.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

If im not going to bind him then whats to stop him from running to my face and pwning me? Gravity and Sleep perhaps?
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Dark is said to help sleep, IDK, can't hurt.

Bind is far from useless. I cast it every time right before nuking. At 70 I went Bind, Aero III, Water III, Sleep II. The time it worked he never got through my Blink shadows. When he resisted Sleep is when it didn't work mostly.

If Bind holds till one second after your nuke, it is worthwhile.

Blink and Stoneskin saved my butt, more by letting me keep casting than the lack of damage, but the latter was nice.

Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

From what I hear of Maat Rdm, it may be easier, faster, and cheaper to level up another job and face Maat as that. J/k. ^.^ But no, it only toom me 3 tries to beat Drg Maat, only cause I screwed up the first two and didn't pay attention to the Drg Maat guides...
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Common response to hey is it hard to kill maat:

what job are you?

me: Red Mage.

... sucks to be you.

me: Thanks -.-
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Well Sleep -> Bind -> Nuke didn't work since Bind wore after I nuked him, I've been told to Bind after Nuking, that might work. When I did it he'd usually start casting after I Nuked him anyways. There's also a rumour flying around that Bind makes him Asurian Fistga.

Gravity won't stick, and if it does it'll last all of 3 seconds. Want to put some distance between him and you and Sleep his ass after a nuke.

I'm 99.9% positive Dark Magic does nothing for Sleep. As it gives skillups to Enfeebling Magic.

I was lucky to have DRG around the same level as RDM. Got it to 69 and bam victory :D
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Some have indeed leveled another job to takr on old man Maat.

My Maat fight:

viewtopic.php?t=4605

Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

This is lengthy because I'm bored at work and since we're talking Maat and the RDM fight came up I thought I'd share my horror stories.

When I did my RDM Maat fight on my other character a whiles back, it took me 4 tries and I won in pretty much the way Tsybil describes. My character is Elvaan, so I'm obviously mp deficient. I wore a couple pieces of my RSE, Electrum rings and other Convert gear, and ate Maron Glace to make up for it. Pretty much a good idea for any race since the general idea for the fight is to stay in control and be able to throw several nukes before converting. If you've been doing your job, your Enfeebling will be capped or just a couple levels under if you just leveled recently. Dark magic skill does not effect Sleep at all. Sleep is Enfeebling magic. Don't rush either, take your time and give him a good boot to the head.

And now the horror stories, since these are the best way to learn:

I had just gotten my first testimony at about 3am thanks to the help of a friend. And an hour later I decided to jump right to the fight and ran right in...I died about 10 seconds later. I learned a couple of things from that "fight" (read as arse whooping): First, people don't think very clearly when its 4am in the morning. Second, Gravity is worthless on Maat even when using a Wind staff. Third, Bind isn't so hot either.

I solo'd Ruby Quadav for my second testimony which dropped on the first kill. I made macros specificly for the fight this time including equipment swaps and macros for hi-potions and hi-ethers that I bought this time. The fight went fairly well until I used a hi-ether and then couldn't cast anything for about 10 seconds afterwards. I honestly didn't know they would have that effect. Maat woke up and owned me while I was defenseless. This fight was when I started noticing something odd with Sleep vs. Sleep II.

For my third testimony, the same friend from before helped me out again killing Hover Tanks in the Uggly Temple. I was really prepared this time. Food, wearing convert gear, macros, yagudo drinks, lots of hi-potions, and still some hi-ethers just in case. I'd just be careful about using them. Entering the BC, I rushed right up and slept him and dispelled (only needed 2, learned from the last fight, honestly, just consider how long it takes to cast buffs vs. how long it takes to run from the entrance to the arena). Buffed myself with Stoneskin+Blink only, tossed a yagudo drink, and immediately Chainspell'd, Aero III, Water III, Sleep, move, Aero III, Water III, Sleep, move. Threw Convert in there when needed after he's successfully asleep and spammed my hi-potion macro. Then repeated until chainspell was gone, which I think was about two nukes later. I wasted time recasting Sleep a couple of times when it didn't stick. I kept going using the Sleep+Nuke tactic and recasting SS+Blink as needed to the point where I think it would have just been one nuke to finish the fight. For some reason I decided to try Silence since the Bio III he managed to hit me with a couple of times this fight and before sucked. Silence stuck, I was surprised. Now, ever wonder why no one mentions silencing Maat as a tactic to win? He woke up and I immediately started casting sleep. He covered the distance from across the arena and hit me with two Asuran Fists before I hit 53% on my cast...I would have casted at 55%. To me it looked like Asuran Fists Double Attack. Looking at the log, there was a critical hit also tucked in between, so it went Asuran, Crit, Asuran, death. I actually took 0 damage from the first Asuran, but looking at the log, the crit killed SS right after that. This fight I learned that Silence was a bad thing and for some reason Sleep worked a lot better than Sleep II which I kept having resists and low sleep times on. When my friends asked how I lost this time, they all said, "Wow, that sucks, so that's why the rdm guide didn't say anything about silencing him." Apparantly, no one knew of the horror...or just didn't speak of it... :stare:

My fourth testimony I got once again soloing Ruby Quadav. This time I had all of the things I had before. I only used Sleep I this time and I didn't touch Silence at all. If Maat is casting at you then you're not getting an Asuran Fists to the face. Other than that, I went about the fight just like before. What was different this time was that Maat started casting Cure IV on himself after almost every nuke. Needless to say I ran out of mp, yagudo drinks only do so much to help. I slept him and used a hi-ether and then started resting. Lucky me he stayed asleep the whole time. I recovered enough to keep going and finished him off in a couple nukes.

Turns out that I really was almost one nuke away on my third fight before I used Silence. So instead of 4 tries to win, it could have been three. :( But like I said, that was a whiles back before anyone would say it was a bad idea. Now everyone just says, "don't use Silence", but they still don't bother saying why. The coveted RDM secret is: Because you'll die if you do. But four tries to win is still a good number. :)
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I plan on using yagudo drinks and all, but woulnd't a refresh be better from the start. Maat doesn't attack until you do. So Ill probably cast all my buffs, Refresh myself wait till full mana. Refresh again, heal up, then charge at him. Then again I have not tried this so I have no clue. Can't really compare fights to others simply because its all about luck and skill. Luck being the major factor. The last buffer I think I could do, is possibly fight him on Winds day, that Way Aero III can do more dmg with the Wind staff. Not much , but some extra damage cant hurt.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Maat will sit there buffing himself until you attack him. I found this out the hard way. I don't think people mention Silence as it rarely sticks, sounds like you triggered his Asurian Spamga with it :?

When I did it I found Sleep I got resisted more than Sleep II :? must have just been coincidence or something I dunno. If Sleep I sticks then use it, I'd say have both macro'd at least, likely he'll resist one and the delay is kinda long on Sleep so can follow up with the next one and hopefully have it stick. Sleep I if sticks will save you from being nuked if he starts casting after waking up.

One time when I lost he woke up, unbound, used Chainspell and resisted both sleeps then whilst running towards me and slapping all manners of enfeebles on me and nuking me at least twice finally finished me off with Asurian Fists... :oops:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Pheonixhawk wrote:I plan on using yagudo drinks and all, but woulnd't a refresh be better from the start. Maat doesn't attack until you do.
No, what he does is stand there and buff. Yag Drinks = 0 MPs and less casting time.
Pheonixhawk wrote:So Ill probably cast all my buffs, Refresh myself wait till full mana. Refresh again, heal up, then charge at him.
This is not a good idea. See the stand there and buff part above.
Pheonixhawk wrote:Then again I have not tried this so I have no clue. Can't really compare fights to others simply because its all about luck and skill.
It has been compaired to the Ruby Quad fight and also to a certain ENM who is a copy of yourself. You can also practice on EP weapons.
Pheonixhawk wrote:The last buffer I think I could do, is possibly fight him on Windday, that Way Aero III can do more dmg with the Wind staff. Not much, but some extra damage cant hurt.
Most try Darkday for the Sleep. Only problem is both Sleep and Maat are Dark based. Still most go on Darkday and most of the rest go on Windday for the lower chance of partial resists. The extra damage from the day is SUPPOSED to hurt silly, just not you. :P

And did I mention that walking in on Maat when he has Stoneskin, Blink, Phalanx, Protect, Shell, and perhaps Baraero on is a BAD IDEA?

Some don't buff, just Sleep, Juice, Chainspell, Areo III - Sleep, repeat.

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Okay, I can see now what the problem is: Maat hates Red Mage's.

Pheonixhawk, I recommend leveling another job. How about Bard? You could easily have that to 66 in a week (If you're lazy) :lol:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Especially certain Mithra Red Mages /sigh

Don't forget the your fight with Maat is limited to 10mins and anything that can save you some MP and time is well worth it. Like using Yags and some meds instead of Refresh :P

I don't recommend trying to land Silence on Maat- it wears >very< quickly and if he is silenced he'll just beat you down. Learned that one the hard way :roll:

I don't think Sleep I ever landed for me when I was fighting him, but I had both macro'd in anyway just in case.

One thing that suprised me the first time I went up against him was how damned fast the old man moves

I went both on Winds and Darksday and won on Darks.

Just keep at it, you'll get him sooner or later (hopefully sooner :))

Good luck next time^^
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Keavy wrote:Okay, I can see now what the problem is: Maat hates Red Mage's.

Pheonixhawk, I recommend leveling another job. How about Bard? You could easily have that to 66 in a week (If you're lazy) :lol:
I WILL strut around saying I hit lvl 75 with my RDM. Not grabbing another job and beating it and then going oh look im a lvl 75 rdm. :lol:
Rdm is more than likely going to be my only lvl 75 job. I really don't seen another reason to take any other job to 75 unless I just really really like it.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Pheonixhawk wrote:I plan on using yagudo drinks and all, but woulnd't a refresh be better from the start. Maat doesn't attack until you do. So Ill probably cast all my buffs, Refresh myself wait till full mana. Refresh again, heal up, then charge at him. Then again I have not tried this so I have no clue. Can't really compare fights to others simply because its all about luck and skill. Luck being the major factor. The last buffer I think I could do, is possibly fight him on Winds day, that Way Aero III can do more dmg with the Wind staff. Not much , but some extra damage cant hurt.
You see, the problem with the Maat fight is that its a lot like fighting Ruby Quadav, except you have less time to do it in and Maat moves faster since you can't land Gravity, which, on top of the adreneline rush, makes you feel rushed. :? Actually though, you have plenty of time to lounge once you get over the fact that you're fighting Maat. And if you Chainspell early, then you'll have time to just waltz through the fight. Just remember that he's not going to stay asleep nearly as long as Ruby does and be ready for it.

Its the type of fight where you learn from your mistakes. There isn't really any luck or skill involved, it's more about technique. Unless you're talking about what if I had landed sleep before he could Asuran Fistsga me in my third fight. That would have been luck, since then I could have just tossed the final nuke while he slept and ended it. Then again, I shouldn't have even casted Silence in the first place.

Go practice on some strong weapons and on Ruby using only the spells you would use on Maat. Meaning no buffs for yourself except maybe SS+Blink and a yagudo drink instead of Refresh. Give yourself a time limit too so you're not taking 20 minutes to kill something. Like I said, its technique. Its something you can and have to learn as a RDM.
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

*Repost*

Might help ya when you do it
Try #2

ImageImage
ImageImage
Equipment:
2 Bat earrings (Evasion +15 each when blinded, total evasion +30)
Electrum ring (MP +20 HP -20)
Medicine Ring (Latent effect Cure potency +10% this kicks in when my HP is in yellow or lower this really helped) (See strategy why)
Emperor hairpin (+15 extra evasion really helped, he missed me a lot)(Borrowed from a friend, Thanks Hrywnak!)
Earth Staff (Borrowed from a friend, Thanks Terrocan!)
AF Body Hands Legs Feet
Ajari Necklace
Druid's Rope (Spell interuption rate down is sweet)

Food:
Tavnazian Taco
( * HP +20
* MP +20
* Dexterity +4
* Vitality +6
* Agility +4
* Charisma +4
* HP Regeneration While Healing +1
* MP Regeneration While Healing +1
* Defense +25% (Cap: 150@600 Base Defense) )
Yagudo drinks/Melon Juice.

Meds:
Hi Ether
Blinding potions. (Combo with the bat earrings)
Echo drops (Negate Silence)

Strategy:
I went in naked, (I don't know if the rumors are true but they say he get's the same stats as you the way you enter the BC)
I geared up, buffed up (Protect + Shell), Rested full, stoneskin + Blink + Aquaveil and pop my Yagudo drink.
Ate the Tavnazian taco. (eating PLD food on whm feels weird but it really helps)
I wait a bit for the drink to refresh me to almost full, run to him pop a Blinding potion and pull him with Slow. (Didn't stick tho)
I just stood there and let him hit me and cast on me, I waited till my HP was about half way and only used Cure IV to cure myself. (every 3/5 hits)
When your HP goes yellow or lower the medicine ring acts as a light staff. (In exp it adds up to your light staff, very sweet)
When the yagudo drink wore I popped a Melon Juice.
I kept standing and timing cures.
He silenced me once near the end but that's where the echo drops kick in. (Don't leave home without them casters)

I never used my Hi Ether, Never had to use Benediction and he gave up while I had 133 MP left.
He never hit me for more then 90 points or 130 at a crit.
He missed about 30% of the hits.
He never WSed and I think I have cured myself for about 2/2.5k HP.
Actual gil spent on the fight 12k

I agree with most people to try at 68/70 ish.
My first try was at 67 and I lost horribly, he got off a lot of critical hits and finally Howling Fisted me to death.
This was my second try, now at 70, I skilled up a bit on evasion and enhancing magic in the mean time and that made this fight a lot easier.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Ill keep that in mind. And Keavy where did yo uget that avatar?
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I think if Maat is about to do Asuran Fists Spamga he'll become immune to everything :oops: and more likely you'll die before the 10min mark, probably no longer than 6 minutes.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:I think if Maat is about to do Asuran Fists Spamga he'll become immune to everything :oops:
People have reported sleeping him when he pops Asuran Fists. In my experiences with him, he only used it when he was close enough to actually hit me, and then I had spell interuptionga.