Gamestop Stupidity

A place to talk about... anything!
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Gamestop Stupidity

Post by Cyndari »

Check this comic first: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/11/11

Now this is kinda off key but I had to laugh at this comic cause it reminded of a similar problem I had with them back in October. I wanted a copy of Taito Legends for my PS2 and I figured since it would probably be low demand item I wouldnt reserve it. So the Wednesday after it comes out I call my Gamestop and said we got copies of the game in. So after work I go there ask for a copy of it and the clerk says "Sorrry we're sold out of this". I give him a :shock: /WTF look and said "When I called earlier you said you had gotten your copies in, and you now your telling me you have sold out of them all?!?!". So then the clerk says to me "Well we only ordered 2 copies and we sold em both." Again I give the look of :shock: :? "Wait you mean to tell me you only ordered 2 copies!! How the hell do you only order 2 copies of a game? I understand that it wouldnt be a top selling game, but only TWO COPIES!!!! Are you at least getting more copies in?" "Not unless they send it to us.." "Wait Im still at a loss here.....how do you only order 2 copies of a game?? Im number 3 so that means I'm shitouttaluck?" "Well Sir I guess you should have preordered it then..." I wanted to explode but I became so heated that I flash fried myself out. So I just walked away

I saw this comic and it made me laugh cause of the grief Gamestop gives
:lol:
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

"Hello GameStop? Yes, My Name is (not revealing it here) and I laid down a pre order for Final Fantasy XI Chains Of Promathia for PlayStation 2 and was wondering if its in yet seeing as release date was yesterday." "Oh uhm ya we dont have them or know when we'll be getting them. Distribution is in florida and some hurricane thingy musta destroyed it or something. I can't tell you when we'll get any if we get any at all this year." "So.... what are we supposed to do with the credit cards we spent on preorder. You can't possible charge my card for a game you dont have in stock can you?" "Well you've been billed there's nothing I can do about it." "BILLED FOR WHAT!? YOU CANT CHARGE ME FOR WHAT I HAVNT GOTTEN YET!" "Not my problem miss." that was last year. here's this year

"Hello GameStop? I'm calling about a copy of SmackDown VS Raw 2006 and Soul Caliber 3 Pre Order's under (again not posting my real name.)." "Ya I'm sorry we didnt get enough copies in and im afraid we're doing a random lottery (i hate my store.)." "Yeah look, My Friend Mick did my preorders for them 2 months ago and said i was the 3rd one to hit smackdown and 4th to hit Soul caliber 3. And you're going to f*** me over to RAFFLE THEM OFF!?" "Meh, it doesnt really matter does it?" "Depends, did my card get billed for a game I may not get?" "We did charge your card ma'am." "MOTHER F*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!?" "Again?" "Yes last year i had this problem with FFXI Chains of Promathia, no copies and I got billed." "Oh yes I remember you now."

I hung up then. WHY DID THE SAME MORON NOT GET FIREd O.O
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

I thought I had it bad.....awww /comfort Karou
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Damn, makes me glad we don't have one of those around here. o.O;
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
sakono
Housecat

Post by sakono »

if that happened to me i'd go down to the store and demand my money back cause they have no right to charge you for somthing you didn't get
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I got the stupid game raffle numbers so i avoided suing them. But i did finally get bubba joe fired for idiocy.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I am not sure which shocks me more..Karou's debicle with GS..or the fact that not only did those two games have pre orders..but were actually limited supply.. :shock:
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

>.>;
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe {/comfort}
Trusty GAME never lets me down :) failing that Gameplay. Both quality stores over here :)

Friend tells me that Virgin have spares of the 360 :O shame they overcharge and I have no money ^^;
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:I got the stupid game raffle numbers so i avoided suing them. But i did finally get bubba joe fired for idiocy.
/cheer

Way to go girrrl.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

heh, i would get that person fired as well... hell i have a very few stores i shop for games from, both are in atlanta though ><; its rare i pick up a brand spankin new game (i think the last time i did that was DoD: Source, and before that was FFXI >.>;)

i just find the places that dont rip you off and preorder there, the ones that, actually have half a brain.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:I got the stupid game raffle numbers so i avoided suing them. But i did finally get bubba joe fired for idiocy.
What happened if you didn't get the raffle? Did they just take your money and that was that?
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:I am not sure which shocks me more..Karou's debicle with GS..or the fact that not only did those two games have pre orders..but were actually limited supply.. :shock:
uh tivia, our gamestop pretty much lied to everyone claiming they had multiple preorders...... shows what i get for listening to them. but even so, limited or not they took more preorders then they were getting, thats fugging WRONG!

as for jedi's question, I'd have sued them becuase i heard a few ppl were not refunded instead given a store credit. trust me store credit!? HELLS NAW~ I wont do business with them again.
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Sugami wrote:Hehe {/comfort}
Trusty GAME never lets me down :) failing that Gameplay. Both quality stores over here :)
I know GAME well - I got my copy of FFXI with both expansions from there for £15 (:D), but never heard of Gameplay.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:
Tivia wrote:I am not sure which shocks me more..Karou's debicle with GS..or the fact that not only did those two games have pre orders..but were actually limited supply.. :shock:
uh tivia, our gamestop pretty much lied to everyone claiming they had multiple preorders...... shows what i get for listening to them. but even so, limited or not they took more preorders then they were getting, thats fugging WRONG!

as for jedi's question, I'd have sued them becuase i heard a few ppl were not refunded instead given a store credit. trust me store credit!? HELLS NAW~ I wont do business with them again.
I was poking fun at the game..

Sucks about your experience though...gamestop here in Mall of Ga area is good enough I quit going to EB.
Holydragoon
Big Cat

Post by Holydragoon »

I have problems with EB all the time. I have 3 of them in my city, and its the place where games are most likely to get on the shelves first.

However. Any have issues with gran turismo 4? Well my friend and I did. Preorder was put down on the game long before it came out, then it delayed 3 times. Now having paid for the game over a year ago and having nothing to show for it we wanted our preorder money back. Not a chance they said, but you can have store credit.

Store credit?? Why can't we just get our money back considering the game wasn't even out yet, we gave you money over a year ago... The game is still not out yet, its not like we took it home, copied and are bringing it back to them. It wasn't even released and all they offer is store credit. There was nothing that we wanted at all. And that's how Mario Tennis ended up on our shelf, I bought GT 4 months later for $15 less than it was on sale for at EB. At least there was some justice.

EB just always seems rude whenever dealing with games coming out. I remember FF-X2, they didn't get a copy for a week and a half after release date. In that time I ordered one from Blockbuster (mine never gets RPG, EVER). They even shipped it from another blockbuster in town right to my local blockuster for me. I was nice and happy.

moral of the story, I dislike 2/3 EB store in my city.

edited for content
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

I uh... very rarely have these problems myself. I tend to buy games used. If I get them new, it's usually from somewhere like Fry's, where it's cheaper most of the time.

There's a used game store in town that I like in particular. Most of the time, they'll get a few fairly new games in shortly after their release. I think I got FFX-2 for 30 bucks there maybe a month or so after release...

The games I've purchased there are usually in pretty good condition too.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:.... I'd have sued them becuase i heard a few ppl were not refunded instead given a store credit....
In such a case the lawsuit you want is called a Specific preformance lawsuit. It says "We had a contract, you WILL fulfill your side of the contract. No or else. you win, you get the game. period.

Believe me, that will cause them more problems than just a refund suit.

(Edit) And if you do not sue in Small Claims Court, you can ask for punitive damages too.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Losfuin wrote:
Sugami wrote:Hehe {/comfort}
I know GAME well - I got my copy of FFXI with both expansions from there for £15 (:D), but never heard of Gameplay.
Gameplay is online onry, at least I think so. www.gameplay.co.uk, tend to do stuff a tiny bit cheaper than GAME but I generally like to pickup my games from store and I have a GAME card :)

GAME is owned by Electroniques Boutique, or merged with. Bit back every EB store turned into GAME over here and I suddenly got 2 GAME cards :D

Missed this page ^^; when we preorder stuff here (or at least at GAME) we don't pay for the game. Just write down name, address and phone number, come in on release and say you preordered it. Get the game and double reward points :) Think only time you pay is preordering a console, then it's a small deposit.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Ok look.....I worked for Gamestop for a bit and I can give a reason for every problem here, Game Stop is a specalty store, not Walmart, so they dont buy 1000 of every game, they judge how populare it will be and get that number of copies. Second them not haveing enuff copies of a reserved item, is not their fault, the game company could not make enuff and did not send all the reserved copies to the store....and third if your card had been charged, and you had not recived the game, then you would get one when the next shipemtn came in or you could simply ask for the money to be placed back -.- The store is not bad most of the time, some of you just get too anle -.-
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

Sugami wrote: GAME is owned by Electroniques Boutique, or merged with. Bit back every EB store turned into GAME over here.
I dont think alot of people know it but Gamestop has bought out EB and all of its affiliates. Those will keep their names but they will be parented by Gamestop.
Kailea wrote:Ok look.....I worked for Gamestop for a bit and I can give a reason for every problem here, Game Stop is a specalty store, not Walmart, so they dont buy 1000 of every game, they judge how populare it will be and get that number of copies. Second them not haveing enuff copies of a reserved item, is not their fault, the game company could not make enuff and did not send all the reserved copies to the store....and third if your card had been charged, and you had not recived the game, then you would get one when the next shipemtn came in or you could simply ask for the money to be placed back -.- The store is not bad most of the time, some of you just get too anle -.-
I dont particularly have a beef with Gamestop its more with the corporate idiots who make the decisions. Good example the town I live has a mall which is the process of a massive expansion, new shopping centers, theatres, the works. So inside this mall you have Gamestop, EBGames, and an EBX. Outisde the mall on the north side you have a Gamestop in the one shopping center, then on the southwest side you have another Gamestop in another shopping center. 2 miles away from the mall you have yet another Gamestop. So in 2 mile radius you have 6 Gamestop owned stores. Now I will give Gamestop the benefit of saying that inside this radius the stores are in 3 different towns, but you already have 1 Gamestop and 2 affiliates in the mall do you really need 2 more stores on the sides of the mall? Have we as people become so lazy and stupid that we cant realize one or two is enough? Yeah 3 can be conveinent, but 5 stores in 1/2 mile radius is kinda rediculous :? *takes a deep breath* Which leads me to the point of why cant you order 5-10 copies of a game for each store? So what if the game is a low seller? What about me and the other 5 ppl that wanna buy it? What? If I want it I should reserve it?! But its a low seller which would mean I shouldnt have to reserve it because there isnt agreat demand for it. What? You'll lose money if you order those copies and they dont sell? Youre a &@#^ing HUGE corporation!! Lets say you buy 1000 copies nationwide and only 600 copies sell? Are you gonna go bankrupt due to those 400 copies? No, that money is probably a drop in the bucket for you guys. Jeez at least keep a bare minimum of 5 copies of a game.

*steps off soapbox*

*cough*AHEM*cough* Sorry! :D

Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Cyndari wrote:Yeah 3 can be conveinent, but 5 stores in 1/2 mile radius is kinda rediculous
Sheffield, England has a big (for us English-types) shopping centre called Meadowhall. Inside Meadowhall are two Game stores, about 50 metres away from each other. It's retarded.
What's even sillier is that one is always uber-neat and tidy and orderly... whereas the other is *always* full of 8 year-olds and angry parents, leaving the place is in a total mess. I don't get it.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

There's two malls I know of with two game stores here in Portland. In Clackamas Town Center, we've got a Software Etc. on one end of the mall and an EBGames on the other. The mall is pretty big, so I guess it isn't TOO rediculous.

At Lloyd Center, we have an EBGames on the first floor and just up the escalator is the GameStop. Eh... I don't really go there anymore anyway...

EBGames seems to always have the Joe Average kind of people in it, kids and jocks and parents and such. Software Etc. (not GameStop) seems to usually have gamers like myself, it's weird...
Holydragoon
Big Cat

Post by Holydragoon »

Myself I avoid the evil EBs in my city now, I found a local gamestore that is pretty good at getting things in when I want them, and on time. They usually order what I'm looking for and I actually get it when at the time they tell me it will be there. They don't BS me on dates for games not released either, which is very nice indeed
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Losfuin wrote:
Cyndari wrote:Yeah 3 can be conveinent, but 5 stores in 1/2 mile radius is kinda rediculous
Sheffield, England has a big (for us English-types) shopping centre called Meadowhall. Inside Meadowhall are two Game stores, about 50 metres away from each other. It's retarded.
What's even sillier is that one is always uber-neat and tidy and orderly... whereas the other is *always* full of 8 year-olds and angry parents, leaving the place is in a total mess. I don't get it.
Same is true for my hometown BUT a while back one store used to be EB, so after the takeover or whatever it turned into a GAME. This may be true for Sheffield too. We also have another games store I can't remember the name of.

Also had no idea Gamestop bought out EB, so now I feel kinda dirty for shopping in GAME but nothing has changed, they're still a quality store ^^;
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Sugami wrote:Same is true for my hometown BUT a while back one store used to be EB, so after the takeover or whatever it turned into a GAME. This may be true for Sheffield too.
Ah, I didn't think of that. Engage brain, Losfuin, engage brain.
Kateevia
Housecat

Post by Kateevia »

Lol, my Gamestop is ok....but the Bestbuy on the other hand....thats a whole nother story. I never have a problem at teh good ole Walmart tho, lol.

~smiles as she thinks of Walmart~
WHM60/BLM30/WAR30/RNG26/DRK22/RDM20
MNK20/NIN15/THF10/BRD4/SMN1/SAM1/BST1
Cooking 30, Clothcraft 9, Fishing 4
Here I am in all my Mithran glory....
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103736
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Thanks to a MAJOR F*** up on GameStop's end of the deal I now have $780 of store credit there.

It was for a pre-ordered Xbox 360 bundle but I'm gonna use it to get a Nintendo DS and a ton of PS1, PS2, and DS games.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Kateevia wrote:Lol, my Gamestop is ok....but the Bestbuy on the other hand....thats a whole nother story. I never have a problem at teh good ole Walmart tho, lol.

~smiles as she thinks of Walmart~
And the Chinese slave laborers rejoice! :wink:
Kateevia
Housecat

Post by Kateevia »

:roll:
WHM60/BLM30/WAR30/RNG26/DRK22/RDM20
MNK20/NIN15/THF10/BRD4/SMN1/SAM1/BST1
Cooking 30, Clothcraft 9, Fishing 4
Here I am in all my Mithran glory....
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103736