PC Overhaul help

A place to talk about... anything!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

PC Overhaul help

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I need to find some core componants that will be compatible with the ATX Aero-Cool Jet Master JR case (I picked it up cheap) that will be up to date, but not expensive, the AMD Processer is a must I will not use Intel, and the video card can be ati or nvidia im not picky.

EDIT: this is being built for gaming purposes btw
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

If you are building your computer for gaming then I can agree that no other graphics cards will do other than Nvidia. Here is a link for their website.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/desktop.html 8)

Browse around and take a look and see which card suits your needs. Then after you find the one you like, I would recommend checking the nearby stores (such as Best Buy ect) to see if they have what you want. If the stores dont have what you want, you may have to order it online, just make sure the website is safe and secure when ordering such products. :D

As for processors, I can't begin to agree with you more, AMD is the way to go, especially when your building your comp for gaming. Here is their home page as well, they even show how much their processors run, price wise. Since there are different series of AMD's, look at each one and see what fits your needs as well. Then begin to shop around.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Pro ... 18,00.html 8)

Now, you didn't mention anything about your motherboard but I will toss my two gil in anyway. ASUS, best motherboards I have ever seen. My sister and her hubby built her comp from the ground up, her new motherboards is awesome, she's running a 64 bit system as well.

http://usa.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3 8)

Hope this helps in building your new comp. If it doesn't im sorry but these are only my suggestions but it should provide you with some choices in putting together your new PC. Good luck. :D
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

i'm a total moron apparently, I dont know what the hell I'm looking at. I doesn't make sense to me anymore, maybe a half year ago, but its all not understandable, I can't pick what I need honestly, i dont know what to look for and what works.

I dont even have a power supply for the case, let alone what memory to use and what card... god this sucks. Whyd I stop trying to keep up with computer building. I've lost my skills --;
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Hm... just look around on newegg.com or something. You'll find stuff to build a good machine for as expensive or cheap as you like..

I suggest getting about 1GB of ram to start off with if you're wanting high-end gaming. Patriot or Kingston make pretty good ram. My best suggestion is to get the fastest stuff you can.

Video card... hm... I suggest ATI out personal preference. A Radeon 9800 or so will run most newer games pretty well.

Power supply, uh... get one that will fit in your case that's over 300 watts. Most newer video cards and such are power hogs.

Sound card, well... if you're really sound-conscious, get an Audigy of some sort. Otherwise, onboard is totally fine.

I'm really more knowledgable about software than I am hardware... My computer is basically a mishmash of whatever I can get my hands on that won't cause the thing to explode.
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

My suggestion to every technical question: ask liohs :?
Camu
Big Cat

Post by Camu »

In my opinion karou, the best bet would be to find some PC related webpages and find some info on whats good gaming wise and whats not. You can learn tons and tons of info on good PC parts and what to stay away from. If that fails, do what Neoshinobi does, ask liohs. Also, be sure to find a price range you are willing to pay total for the whole PC and then figure out what you are willing to pay for each part.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I've done the needed case modifications, I.E. transfered my window, and the sound matting etc, led lights changed (2.50 total) but part wise, I'm not sure what price range is worth it. I need something that can play XI without it being top of the line pay through you're nose heh.
Camu
Big Cat

Post by Camu »

My system played FFXI pretty damn well. My specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Mother Board: MSI KT3 Ultra 2
Ram: 1gb DDR
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128mb

The CPU shouldnt be that much, about 75-100. Mother board depends on you really. The Video card i got about a year or two back for around 180 so im sure its much less now. Ram is pretty cheap now so im sure you can find a good deal.
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Id like to add in the reason why I recommend Nvidia for graphics cards is because most games now are built around using Nvidia. What would be better to use with your new games than the platform most game companies work around? I am not saying ATI is bad or anything, I have tried both and imo Nvidia seems to work the best and outperform the rest. :)
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

World of warcraft was "built to use nvidia" even thoue some of its newest cards had known issues when running World of warcraft that where unfixable for a long time when it came out, Most games arent built around nvidia its just nvidia pays companies to post their name on like every game they put out.
[img]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5814/mithrafishing2pc.jpg[/img]
Camu
Big Cat

Post by Camu »

Ive used nvidia since ive had my GeForce 2 MX and ive stuck with them since. I stick with what I know and it hasn't let me down since.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

ati works best for multi media jobs rather then gaming HOWEVER, I got to play Doom 3 ot full 3d on the new ATI Raedon x1800 with top of the line pc componants at micro center *drools and floats away from it* F---ING SICK! Damn good gaming cards, x1+++ series from ATI are being built for gaming now, prolly utilizing the same technology concepts nVidia has done so well on.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou,

Give me the amount of money you have to spend on parts only and I will suggest you a list. I build gaming machines for a living and can tell you what hardware is going to give you the best bang for your money.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

KarouKaniyashia wrote: I need something that can play XI without it being top of the line pay through you're nose heh.
Some suprisingly obsolite machines will play this game well. The Video card in this one is an ATI Radeon 8500 All in Wonder....
Ambrey wrote:...the reason why I recommend Nvidia for graphics cards is because most games now are built around using Nvidia....
Gee, I thought Nvida paid most companies to advertise their cards. That is how they get their logo on the games you buy after all. "Built for gaming"... sounds like an add campagin. Oh silly cynical me....

But whatever card you get, use Omega drivers. These are free and are basicly stripped down and hot rodded stock drivers modded by a dedicated group of German gamers. You see the drivers are NOT built for gaming, but to pass benchmarks. The Gremans strip the Bull***t out and tweak the rest. Rather like taking the polution gear ooff a '70s - '80s V8 and hopping it up. If you have ANY video problems these drivers will cure them. My 8500 had some Ummm... unintentional Fx before I started using them.
Last edited by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Karou, if you want detailed help, hop on irc.esper.net to channel #PCCats and well give you walk though help if ya need it ;p.

as for new computer. thats cheap. ill give a few recomendations.

as for video, your gonna want Nvidia. ati just cant compete. the two cards that i swear by are these. (that would be good for you)

BFG 6600GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814143026

or the XFX 6600GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150098

Both of these are PCI-E, and definatly what you should get on a motherboard. they are listed in order. by far, BFG Tech makes the best gaming video cards on the market. XFX is a rather new company, but has gotten some good reviews for thier products. And is a very good second choice. the difference between the cards is roughly 80$, so you can pick and choose whitch one you want.

as for Motherboard... ive been a stickler for ASUS, they simply produce extremly high quality motherboards.
for you id go with the ASUS A8N-E motherboard, N-Force4 Ultra board, PCI -Express x16, and fairly inexpensive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131530

that leaves the proc and ram. ill get to processor last. for the ram, your gonna need 1GB PC3200 (DDR 400). i really really recommend Corsair RAM, they simply make the best RAM on the market. i would recommend this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145440

Now there is the processor, for you id recommend the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 processor which can be found here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103535

Lastly (almost forgot) is the Power Supply i really would recommend at least a 400w ATX 2.0 power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817159023
seems decent

As a final note, the price on this system from newegg comes out to about 500$ (thats with the XFX video card) or 590$ (with the BFG Card) both fairly inexpensive for the components. also, this board has alot of room for improvement on it, its compatable with both the Athlon 64 X2, and the Athlon 64 FX. its also compatable with all the new video cards that you might upgrade to in the future. i would say it to be a very good starter system. and an impressive buget gaming machine.
Whoohoo
Kitten

Post by Whoohoo »

http://www.tigerdirect.com is also a good site for PC components. Decent prices and real good deals at times (especially if you don't mind rebates)
Maxi - Midgardsormr - RDM 20, BLM 9
Whoohoo - Ragnarok - RDM 45, DRG 25, WHM 31, SAM 20, NIN 25, BRD 20, THF 20, PLD 20, WAR 21, DRK 20, BST 21, RNG 21, SMN 30, MNK 21, BLM 20, PUP 30 (with all upgrades), BLU 31, COR 1
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

well SH!T Micro Center goofed, and I didnt check and I installed the wrong LED Lites for my case and fired the entire circuit line and plug. so much for a test. Now I am officially broke til christmas xD
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

what happened? micro center sent you the wrong led or something *cries* what happened :(
[img]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5814/mithrafishing2pc.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

:(
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

>.>;

/sulks in corner...
Jae
Tomcat

Post by Jae »

Was skipping through >.>
b4 you buy anything.. make sure buy the right PSU
having PSU that does not match you motherboard/ati will mess up computer good...
even though you think its running good.. if installed not correctly.. it will bring unknown errors.

Ive built 1 myself.. many research... >.> overall im very happy with it.
AMD processor is mainly overclocker's choice. If you not plan to overclocking it i'd stick with intel.. though AMD is better =x

I'm not sure about nvidia but.. not huge fan of it..
I have ATI x800(i believe) its running really good.

some stuff are I heard.. some are not.. but AMD Processor can be overclocked highly if you have cooler or what not.. could save you a lot of money(if you installed cooler)

... p.s. >.> did i even made right comment;; was skipping through
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

God I wish some people would actually research instead of being prone to fandom,

Geforce 4 series vs ATI 8x series = Nvidia > Ati

Geforce FX series vs ATI 9x series = ATI > Nvidia

Geforce 6 series vs ATI R series = Nvidia > Ati

Geforce 7x series vs Ati X1 series = Nvidia > Ati until #1 Ati actually get's product on the shelf that compete's, and #2 they start producing better gameplay reviews then currently. At this point they are failing to match the standard of the Nvidia card in both Image Quality and FPS at resolution. I fully believe Ati is capable of it, they have done it in the past. However if you are looking for a current generation card there is zero reason to buy an ati currently. I would wait until at least december however before making a decision as ATI is prone to pull out a darn nice card by then. If you need it now, the 7800GT is hands down the best card for the money.

For the record the advise on the PSU is very sound, I lost track of how many computers I have seen go up in smoke over the years because people bought top end hardware, then a generic psu. There should be 4 names in your vocabularly for power supplies; Enermax, Antec, OCZ, and Thermaltake. I would stick with enermax personally simply based on they are the most reliable and cheaper then Antec.

Ram, Do not buy generic..ever. there is no longer a reason too. If you want to save money buy Corsair value select, It has the undisputed best warranty and is pretty much the hands down best value memory on the market bar none. Lifetime warranty, and they do not give you hassle about replacing it if it goes bad. There is simply no other brand of Value ram on the market that can match it. If you are like me however and want Overclockers memory then; Corsair, and OCZ are your best choices for AMD cpu's. As I think of it, as a note on the corsair value there is about a $4 price difference on 1gb of it vs its nearest competitor.

Motherboard, Ever wonder why people buy the Prefab computer's with the latest cpu and it still runs like crap? Motherboard is a large part of it. Asus, Abit, MSI. That really is all, Currently I have yet to see any motherboard from any other company for the Athlon line that is worth a moments consideration. I have two computers in my house, one with the Asus AI series and one with the MSI Neo Platinum series. Honestly I cannot find fault with either board. both overclock wonderfully, the thermal protection works perfectly on the MSI...I know because my blasted bracket broke because the Thermaltake Venus is just too blasted heavy.

Outside of that, it is all personal preference. Stay away from places like Micro center and tiger direct, honest to god their prices are horrible. If you are ordering off the web, Newegg simply because their return policy is excellent in the event of DOA stuff, and their shipping even ground has always arrived for everyone I know 2 days. After newegg go to pricewatch and hunt for prices there. They will link you directly to the website and you can get some excellent deal's. Downside of pricewatch is you have to know specificially what you are looking for.

If you insist on brick and morter stores, If it is a large retail store just do not bother walking in. They are great for mice, keyboards and little things. Real hardware you are not going to get a good price on. Find the local shop's, they want your business and most will negotiate. If you happen to live in the atlanta area, Go down to jimmy carter across from the Varsity, there are a ton of shops in there with great prices. Cable Plus PC and Ginstar are pretty much the best.
Jae
Tomcat

Post by Jae »

+_+ our savior Tivia is here
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

i gave up on it. I'm so lost now. Micro Center has their own BYOC section. But I had bad luck. That asshole employee I filed a complaint on did nothing but insist on fandom sh*t. My mind is so F***ing Lost right now. I've been slammed with too much info. I think this topic should be locked before my brain splodies. I mean I still dont know what to do, between Nivez and Tivia, I'm lsot. Also Tivia, Easy for you to say, If I order anything from newegg, I still have to pay for mass shipping and handeling that I can't affoard. So Now do you see why I'm screwed? I dont order sh*t online much becuase I've had my credit card number hacked and stolen before.

I have nothing left now. /sigh
Last edited by Karou Ariyen on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

My computer is a rice-burning piece of ****

But its survived 2 lightning strikes to the roof of my house, so I'm not complaining :D
3 jobs for the Tanks, brave shield for the men
5 jobs for the mages, wise and powerful
7 jobs for the Mortal melees, doom to eternal seek
2 jobs for the supports, in their ivory tower
1 job to rule them all, in the land of Ifrits Cauldron where the shadows lie,
One to solo them all and in the dirt let them die.
1 job to rule them all: Beastmaster.

Bst75, Rdm51, Nin37, War37, Blm37,
Hades Server - Proud Member of MithranPride and LordoftheBeasts
Rank 6 Windy
Beastmaster - Can you handle MY lizard?
AF v1 = Complete!
AF v2 = Head and Feet - O
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Murto wrote:My computer is a rice-burning piece of ****

But its survived 2 lightning strikes to the roof of my house, so I'm not complaining :D
at least you have a working one. EDIT: Okay I'm going to give Nivez's setup a shot. I cross checked micro center instore and it comes out the same at newegg.com, so I'll do that when I can. I have the ethernet card saved from the last one, and I salvaged a brand new never been opened 38.8k modem (hell I wont ever need to use it, but its better safe then sorry) drives, I've got that covered already. Case tempeture panel, I found a drive bay for storage slide out drive. CD/DVD Combo burners, ZIP drive, and a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive. dual hard drives (you all know me by now, i stock up on music and movies and um *cough cough*). I jsut need a silencer for the hard drives and the video card and I'm good to go.

By The Way, Tivia, Great work on the video card research hehe~ I won like 50 bucks at work thanks to it~ oh ya, I forgot, keyboard mouse, monitor printer and additional serial I/O port (think 6 pin? Crap not sure the size, but the size plug of the Dex Drive), I'm having trouble finding those on Newegg, any one else know where to look?
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:
Murto wrote:My computer is a rice-burning piece of ****

at least you have a working one. EDIT: Okay I'm going to give Nivez's setup a shot. I cross checked micro center instore and it comes out the same at newegg.com, so I'll do that when I can. I have the ethernet card saved from the last one, and I salvaged a brand new never been opened 38.8k modem (hell I wont ever need to use it, but its better safe then sorry) drives, I've got that covered already. Case tempeture panel, I found a drive bay for storage slide out drive. CD/DVD Combo burners, ZIP drive, and a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive. dual hard drives (you all know me by now, i stock up on music and movies and um *cough cough*). I jsut need a silencer for the hard drives and the video card and I'm good to go.

By The Way, Tivia, Great work on the video card research hehe~ I won like 50 bucks at work thanks to it~ oh ya, I forgot, keyboard mouse, monitor printer and additional serial I/O port (think 6 pin? Crap not sure the size, but the size plug of the Dex Drive), I'm having trouble finding those on Newegg, any one else know where to look?
No confusion dear, I spoke in general term's Nivez gave specific products in the same groups I mentioned. I spoke generally because I was unsure of your budget. My only disagreeance would be on the PSU, I am not impressed with coolmax at all. Outside of that for the money it is a great setup.

And congrats on the $50.

Btw what do you need a serial port for? keyboard/mouse are Ps2 or usb, printer should be parallel or Usb? Serial ports basically became useless years ago..
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I meant a parralel port for Monitor and one for my dex drive, The PS/2 i use for keyboard mouse and then my pringer, I found a plug for. I did some digging and I found what I was looking for ^^; dig and yee shall find~

hrm okay this has been a debate at work for a long time and I'm going to ask for advice. normally my hdd's have been SATA. But I've been told to do ATA setups and ATA HDD Controller cards.... um :?:
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

either works, i gave a decent setup though i agree the power supply could be (and should be) better >.>; besides that, id recommend SATA. its just plain faster now. plus requres less power to run. i dont know about your case, but i would suggest leaving a 3.25" floppy drive in it, very useful for troubleshooting.

As of right now im still using an ATA HDD because i needed one when my last HDD burned 2 years ago. however my next is going to be a SATA due to the fact that right now thier just better than the old ATA's.

just make sure to get one large enough to hold your "Private Stash".
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: PC Overhaul help

Post by xaresity »