FFVII Advent Children

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

FFVII Advent Children

Post by Tivia »

Released in Japan Sept 14,

It was suppossed to be released here on the same day, however it obviously was not. As a result I immeditally contacted a friend of mine in japan and made him burn me an image of his DVD and sent it my way, since I have to wait indefinitally to purchase it. ( For the first time in a long time I am sincerely pissed at SE and I am laying into their Customer service about this currently ).

In the nutshell the movie is incredible. It was everything I expected it to be and more, it was well worth the wait. The level of detail is simply unbelievable, the implementation is executed flawlessly. I simply cannot say enough about this movie. Even if you never played FFVII its Still a superb Standalone movie.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Any idea as to why we suddenly didn't get it? I'll admit I haven't kept up with it, but that makes me kinda curious seeing as we were supposed to get it at the same time for home release. Cuz this is really gonna be a bad blow to SE's credibility if it's something incredibly stupid. ><
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Kotomo
Tomcat

Post by Kotomo »

Heh well that sucks about SE :( I had heard it came out and then someone said it was being delayed in the U.S. heh then I searched for it on Boxtorrents since I'm such an evil bastard that way. Got about 43% of it and of course my Hard drive keeps crashing if I download for excesively long periods of time. So now the torrent won't work. Quite a few people downloading and seeding it too. Oh well guess I'll just have to try again later. Heh so of course if SE said they were going to release it 2 days ago and then didn't I'm not going to wait around for them :P
[img]http://kotomo.is-a-geek.org/pics/kotomo_signature2.jpg[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/jackrabbit62][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/2/jackrabbit62.png[/img][/url]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Right now they are giving me poor excuses at best, I have been going round with CS about it on why they did not bother to tell us. Only response I have gotten was, "We are shooting for a holiday release around the end of November" To which I replied basically, I did not ask When you were releasing, I asked Why you did not mention the delay, why it was not posted anywhere, why we were not informed so those of us who took days off work were not screwed.

Again response I get, "It was mentioned in the recent EGM" I of course fairly tartly responded, EGM is hardly the defacto source of gaming information for alot of people. It perhaps is honestly read by a very small percentage of the people who might be interested in this. Why would we subscribe to a magazine that gives me the same information I can otherwise get for free and infinitally more current off of numerous gaming website's and not to mention the Us SE FFVII website. It was also specifically mentioned that Sept 14th is the release date in a trailer on the main site, yet you claim the delay was know, however no update on the primary website? A logical person would suspect that information this important would be obviously on the official website first.

I am still awaiting response.
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

I watched it myself just yesterday and it was really almost everything I'd hoped for (ahhh, Aeris :love:). On the other hand it's clearly made for fans and anyone who hasn't finished FF7, is going to be like 'wtf?' most of the time.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I have several friends who watched it who never even played the game that enjoyed it throughly and said it made perfect sense to them.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

They said at first it was being delay because they wanted to double check the english dub and match the lips with the english words, Id rather it be late then screwed up -.- I dont see why some of you are getting sopssed at SE...god chilll :p
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Because honestly I am not interested in the english dub, I am perfectly fine with watching it subtitled, especially since most of the problem with Dubs is not the animation but the voice acting.

But again, the primary reason I am upset is because they promised a simultanious release, and not only did they not deliver but they did not bother to mention it.

for the record, the version that came out in japan is subtitled in both Swedish and English, I honestly see no valid reason to delay its release over here. If they wanted to delay an english Dub that is fine..Delay that but release the subbed version.
Talis Kitsue
Kitten

Post by Talis Kitsue »

It woulda been a wiser idea to just keep the voice overs in jp instead of trying to match up in en, though for alot of lazy ppl who dont wanna read while watching a movie could just wait for an en dub release i suppose.

I think they delayed it so that they can get more hype on the movie (fully not needed since we all have been waiting since it was announced) and they probbly want to wait so that i can make a holiday gift of sorts with something added or whatnot. Just another way to delay and make more $ of something we all waited patiently so long for..... as for me bitorrent here i come!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/TalisKitsue/tal.jpg[/img]
Talis : Bismark: 50 rng / 20 nin Rank 5
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?122046
Talis: Valefor: 40 rng / 20 nin Rank 4
Kitsue: Kujata: 18 thf/ - Rank 1
~~~~~~~~
ZM 1-1 | PM 3-5 | WM 5-2
~~~~~~~~
Why do mithras get all the fun?? Dont forget about us manthras XD!!!! orz~
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I view this as any major movie I want.

I will purchase the first release plain DVD when it hits shelves.

I will purchase the director's cut if released usually a month or so later.

I will also purchase the Box set if available.

Sure I end up with alot of copies but It is what I enjoy. I know that I am definitally not alone in this attitude. Point of the above example? Simple SE was stupid to not release it now make the money now then release a Special edition with perhaps behind the scene's such and other extra goodies. Because Final Fantasy Fans are as Rabid as any out there and We are definitally going to repurchase something with new goodies. So they get initial wave of sales, then they get holiday wave of sales, as well as Resales of the special stuff for all the people who own the plain dvd repurchasing the one with all the goodies.

Instead they are going to end up with a plain holiday release..one lump of sales have a nice day. Poor marketing strategy at best.
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

o.o i got a magazine that talk about that..
[img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/catgirls.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/riaa-kittens.jpg[/img]
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Saw it last night after a friend got it subbed off the net. I'm a geek, beat ff7, and I love AC. However, got to say a few things.

Too much: Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie(Any Yuffie is too much.) and Angst.
Not enough: Cid, Barret, Reno, Rude, Cid, Rufus, and Cid.

I guess it makes sense if you don't know FF7's plot and such, but there are alot of little comments, jokes, and plot points you just have to have played the game first.

Fight scenes are really nice, but once again, too much Cloud. I want more Spear-y Cid Goodness.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

Dumb, dumb, dumb. How many people will pass on the official DVD because they downloaded it a month ago?
WHM 75 - SMN 75 - BLM 63 - Midgardsormr
Windurst Rank 10 - RoZ and CoP completed
Alchemy 60 - Cooking 54 - Goldsmithing 24
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Ziada wrote:Dumb, dumb, dumb. How many people will pass on the official DVD because they downloaded it a month ago?
I'm a cheap bastard and will be doing this. :P
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

know what? it said there are new characters in it too..and theres gonna be a game for cell phones and stuff. :?
[img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/catgirls.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/riaa-kittens.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

What they shouda done:

Released here in the Theaters subtitled at the promised date.

Released a Holiday boxed set with a dubed track for Thanksgiving.

Released a Dubed Director's cut for next summer. Say the week that most High Schools let out.

Mid summer or Early fall Release the delux DC boxed set. This one would include a 1/2 to 1 hour making of documentary. Maybe a Thanksgiving '06 Release.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

well square enix its probably really busy with all these projects their doing.
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

I'm likely to buy it when I have half a chance...

I liked the Tifa fight scene. The only thing that bugged me was how she was arbitrarily whooped with a cheap shot. In a fair fight, Tifa wins. When caught by surprise, Tifa loses.

Not enough Reno and Rude, though. Those guys are class-acts.
Fear not: for no-one can obstruct
Our passage: it is decreed so on high.
Await me here. Comfort your weary soul
And feed it with high hopes till I return;
For I will not forsake you here in Hell.
- [i]The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri[/i]
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I converted the DVD Rip I have to MP4 and its the first movie on my new 128mb.....memory stick.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:I converted the DVD Rip I have to MP4 and its the first movie on my new 128mb.....memory stick.
computer talk confuses me :(
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Yugi wrote:
KarouKaniyashia wrote:I converted the DVD Rip I have to MP4 and its the first movie on my new 128mb.....memory stick.
It's... not that complicated.

She got a DVD Rip of the movie, converted it to the PSP's video format (either MP4 or AVC), and put it on the PSP's memory stick.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

JediKitsune wrote:
Yugi wrote:
It's... not that complicated.

She got a DVD Rip of the movie, converted it to the PSP's video format (either MP4 or AVC), and put it on the PSP's memory stick.

AVC!? WTF IS THAT!?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

Ziada wrote:Dumb, dumb, dumb. How many people will pass on the official DVD because they downloaded it a month ago?
I will pass on the DVD, not because my roomate d/led it, but because I don't have the money. I can spare $7 to see something in the theatre, but not $30 to buy the DVD. My disposable income, isn't.
Yugi wrote:
She converted the movie into a highly compressed form and fit it on a stick that's about the size of two credit cards cut in half longways and the pieces stacked on top of each other.

Kinky. I'm turned on.

My thoughts on the movie itself: too much Reno and Rude, way too much Cloud, not enough magic (they have materia, why the hell is only one used, and by a bad guy no less?), Tifa fight rocks ass, Cloud's limit breaks rock ass. Why was this not released in theatres? Spirits Within was, and it wasn't as good (though better animated IMHO).
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

My perspective, based heavily on how I recall the game.

Honestly I enjoyed the more limelight the Turks got. I think they fit into this setting quite well and I fully agreed with their portrayal. I think it was a nice addition.

I agree with the summation of the Tifa fight, that was pretty much her character in game. Kicked a serious amount of ass, then would get dropped for random seemingly unapparent reason's, usually a cheap shot. I must admit how they implemented the fight music and the battle complete music I nearly died. I could not believe how they managed to squeeze it in without it seeming corny. I was laughing so hard, I had to pause it before I passed out.

Materia, what little they showed it I thought it was completely facinating what they did with it. My primary gripe was they showed so little of it, I was fairly disappointed. I mean seriously, all their materia..not even in their house but the dilapidated church that was near Aerith's house..Sorry that made no sense for something that valuable to be left like that.

Advent children was all about SE's new hair skills. I mean they could not have made it more obvious they were showing off new tricks with hair. Did you see the detail in cloud's hair? That was insane by animated standards.

Honestly the game revolved around cloud, so it is less then suprising that the movie did as well. I honestly am not disappointed by this. I wish they would have focused on some of the other characters a bit more as well but I think their focus on cloud was fine. The one character I am miffed at was how little we got to see Aerith..( yes I know she is technically dead..when has that ever stopped them though?.)
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

A bit off topic, but it's the best thread in the boards for it. Dirge of Cerberus is going to be a -first person shooter-....ok, everyone can start crying now. Squeenix? Why oh why did you shoot yourself in the foot on this one? Yes, i know, Vincent is all about the guns. So it kinda makes sense about their choice of how to bring the game around. But come on, FPS's aren't known for their in-depth plot.

We're (almost) all Vincent fans. And yes, while some of us will fall in love with it just because it's FF7 related, what most of us really want to see is the thigns about his character not fully explained in FF7. Bad move, Squeenix. What's next, a Cait Sith based Puzzle game?

"B-4."
"Oh no, you sunk my Stuffed Moogle!"
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

Eviticus wrote:A bit off topic, but it's the best thread in the boards for it. Dirge of Cerberus is going to be a -first person shooter-....ok, everyone can start crying now. Squeenix? Why oh why did you shoot yourself in the foot on this one? Yes, i know, Vincent is all about the guns. So it kinda makes sense about their choice of how to bring the game around. But come on, FPS's aren't known for their in-depth plot.

We're (almost) all Vincent fans. And yes, while some of us will fall in love with it just because it's FF7 related, what most of us really want to see is the thigns about his character not fully explained in FF7. Bad move, Squeenix. What's next, a Cait Sith based Puzzle game?

"B-4."
"Oh no, you sunk my Stuffed Moogle!"
i knew that alreadt :P
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

Tivia wrote:My perspective, based heavily on how I recall the game.

Honestly I enjoyed the more limelight the Turks got. I think they fit into this setting quite well and I fully agreed with their portrayal. I think it was a nice addition.

I agree with the summation of the Tifa fight, that was pretty much her character in game. Kicked a serious amount of ass, then would get dropped for random seemingly unapparent reason's, usually a cheap shot. I must admit how they implemented the fight music and the battle complete music I nearly died. I could not believe how they managed to squeeze it in without it seeming corny. I was laughing so hard, I had to pause it before I passed out.

Materia, what little they showed it I thought it was completely facinating what they did with it. My primary gripe was they showed so little of it, I was fairly disappointed. I mean seriously, all their materia..not even in their house but the dilapidated church that was near Aerith's house..Sorry that made no sense for something that valuable to be left like that.

Advent children was all about SE's new hair skills. I mean they could not have made it more obvious they were showing off new tricks with hair. Did you see the detail in cloud's hair? That was insane by animated standards.

Honestly the game revolved around cloud, so it is less then suprising that the movie did as well. I honestly am not disappointed by this. I wish they would have focused on some of the other characters a bit more as well but I think their focus on cloud was fine. The one character I am miffed at was how little we got to see Aerith..( yes I know she is technically dead..when has that ever stopped them though?.)
I disagree on your last point. I thought the game revolved around Aerith and the Ancients, the WEAPONS, and Shinra's exploitation of the lifestream and of Jenova.

I was honestly hoping that the other characters would get more time. Tifa and Vincent are the only two that got enough screentime IMO. Oh, and Aerith too but that's extenuating circumstances. I mean how much screentime can the dead have w/o it seeming too much of a stretch? I am glad Zach was included. That surprised me actually.
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

Eviticus wrote:. What's next, a Cait Sith based Puzzle game?
Well, probably.
Fear not: for no-one can obstruct
Our passage: it is decreed so on high.
Await me here. Comfort your weary soul
And feed it with high hopes till I return;
For I will not forsake you here in Hell.
- [i]The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri[/i]
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

dont give them ideas! >.< :lol:
Talis Kitsue
Kitten

Post by Talis Kitsue »

hah if they did make a puzzle game like that id probly be on psp as an add on to the movie release, as for the movie itself it was better than i expected, tifa fight was way past awsome, cloud vs Bahamut, was kick ass , gotta love when everyone was helping him up... well pritty much all the fights were kick ass , all in all i think they balanced the movie out well even though they gave cloud most light in it, it fit for the most part, as for each other char, at least we got to see them instead of having them be left out all in all ..... awsome movie
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/TalisKitsue/tal.jpg[/img]
Talis : Bismark: 50 rng / 20 nin Rank 5
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?122046
Talis: Valefor: 40 rng / 20 nin Rank 4
Kitsue: Kujata: 18 thf/ - Rank 1
~~~~~~~~
ZM 1-1 | PM 3-5 | WM 5-2
~~~~~~~~
Why do mithras get all the fun?? Dont forget about us manthras XD!!!! orz~