Massive Congestion

A place to talk about... anything!
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Massive Congestion

Post by Kintrra »

Apparently SE wasn't quite as prepared for this update as one would think. They took an extra 2 hours to complete the updates on the servers, and now I logged out of POL for a moment, and can't get logged back in to POL, let alone FFXI to get it to start updating. :(
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

I tried to get the upgrade this morning, no luck. I could get as far as the very first screen to start the update and that's it. I get the feeling I won't be playing tonight either :roll:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

They really need to allow mirroring for the update files. It would decrease this congestion by so much
[img]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cdove/beachsig.jpg[/img]

Pyrexia : Mithran Fishercat : Federation of Windurst : Midgardsormr and Hades
---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Yeah, I know what you mean Crisp, I've gotten to the update screen twice, but no further yet. :(

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

I got POL updated, when I get home from work I am gonna try to get the rest updated..... Ah, the waiting game...
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Hehehehehe, the way I see it is that the players are not quite as prepared for this update as one would think. So far, every update that I've been around to download (over a year's worth) has had "massive congestion" issues. Not only that but it seems to me that every update has gone over the time that they predicted and shortly after the update is ready there is "massive congestion" and thousands of people seem to flip out with every update (As if this is something different, com'on kids.)

So, to recap (please save this as reference for the next update, because it will more then likely happen again and everybody will forget the troubles of the last update). Every update will almost always have the following difficulties:
(1) The maintenance will go over the estimated time given by SE.
(2) Everybody and their mom are going to be trying to get the update downloaded soon after it is completed leading to "massive congestion."
(3) Most people will receive copious amounts of download errors when trying to download the update.
(4) Some people will get through making those who have not gotten through only angrier and more determined that SE has done this on purpose to mock them and their pets.
(5) SE releases a statement regarding the "massive congestion" about 1-3 hours after the download is ready. Everybody will take this as if "massive congestion" has never been known to FFXI before (ever been to the sleepy fishing village of Jeuno? Never seen any “massive congestion” there)
(6) Everybody will forget the above difficulties and freak out as if nothing like this has ever happened before. Three to four hundred people will make pointless new topics in the main forums of places like Allakhazam stating, “WTF Connection!” or “WOOHOO KICKED AGAIN >.>" or “4am... Error!... Retry Retry... ERROR!” (Real posts btw)
(7) Many updates are quickly followed up in a day or two by another update to fix some minor problems discovered in the update of two-some days ago.
(8) People will freak out over difficulty number 7 and shall swear in their wroth that they are going to riot.

Please plan accordingly.

As for me, I haven’t even tried to download it yet. I’ll wait until this afternoon or evening.

Edit: Fixed a few spelling errors.
Last edited by Dukuji on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Shanpu
Tomcat

Post by Shanpu »

Yeah i agree totally, even a temporary mirroring setup to be implemented during times like these would help somewhat. Then again, they could implement alot of these updates during the maintenance and make a 3rd party installer for the POL website, that way people could still update even when the servers were down; i think this would speed things up alot further.
THF75 NIN75 RNG75 BRD75 BST75 MNK75 BLU75
RDM75 SAM50 WAR75 WHM42 SMN37 COR23 BLM66

BastokRank 10
Sky: O
Moon: O
Sea: O
Alchemy: Artisan(74)
Cooking: 18
Goldsmithing: 28
Smithing: 22
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Dukuji wrote: Not only that but it seems to me that every update has gone over the time that they predicted and shortly after the update is ready there is "massive congestion" and thousands of people seem to flip out with every update (As if this is something different, com'on kids.)
I expected that it would be bad today, but I held out some small hope that the pre-update update they did a few days ago might help. Of course, it didn't :roll:

Hopefully, I'll see you sometime Wednesday night then :D
Rise of Zilart Completed
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

^ Yup, updates remind me of Ballista
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I was talking to a friend who plays WoW yesterday.

WoW does updates on a Peer 2 Peer bassis. The first people to start downloading act as servers, and new people downloading download from them. The more people downlowding, the FASTER the download goes, at least untill you have caught up to the leadres and start downloading from the Download Server itself.

What Squneix CAN do easily is rent a server farm for 48 hours so that there are MASSIVE mirror sites available.

(I have the POL update, STILL trying to get in and download what has to be a MONSTER FFXI update.)

YAY!!! in and downloading. Now let's see If I can finish before a glitch boots me off.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

POL-0006 i think my HDD failed, becuase this is automatic now, anyone else got it? :?:

EDIT: okay so it wasnt that reason, but i found a corrupt game save on the HDD that was slowing the dang thing down, its gone and wiped, but this congestion is total bull, *pulls out a pistol and knife* Ill show them what Big Boss taught me~ ;)
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Tsybil wrote:I was talking to a friend who plays WoW yesterday.
I played World of Warcraft for a couple of months. I agree that downloading and installing updates was quick and easy, however...

Actually logging into a game after an update took place... was virtually impossible :P I spent more time not being able to log in for the two months I played World of Warcraft than the entire (almost) two years of playing Final Fantasy.

Sure it's a day or two of not being able to log in, but it's still far smoother than World of Warcraft.
Rise of Zilart Completed
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

i can agree with that also, they wernt bad on WoW but too many other reasons keep me from playing
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Traitors >.>
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Neo, you goofball, I said I liked WoW for updatingfiles, thats it, i was on beta neo it was the worst steaming pile of chocobo chips ever ;)
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:Neo, you goofball, I said I liked WoW for updatingfiles, thats it, i was on beta neo it was the worst steaming pile of chocobo chips ever ;)
Guards take her away! :P

(under an hour left on updating :) )
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

im at 37 percent now
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:im at 37 percent now
25% :cry:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

awwww poor neo *huggles* :)
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

12% and 3 hours to go >.<

sakono
Housecat

Post by sakono »

the reason there is mass congesttion other then every one and there mom trying to download the damn patch is a mass ddos attack again.

some one needs to find these fucking hackers nad take them out
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:Neo, you goofball, I said I liked WoW for updatingfiles, thats it, i was on beta neo it was the worst steaming pile of chocobo chips ever ;)

I do agree with ya there, the Bittorrent powered download makes it nice'n fast, however, people can mirror the patch... a patch that contains all sorts of nasty @#$^$ in it.

P.S. 3 hrs left (T1 connection)
[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

Mine was going good (44% ~3hrs to go), but then it just stopped on one file for an hour no longer downloading.

I'd say that status of 44% and about 3hrs to go is good for your basic line.

It just ticked me off when it stopped downloading at 82.DAT :evil: and it stayed like that for about half an hour then I had to cancle it. I'm gonna try again later today and see if it works.
"Mithras make every job look sexy"

Name:Narufugihara
Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Crafts: GS-3, FISH-12, COOK-7, CC-1, WW-3
Swimsuit: Top +1 [X] Bottom +1 [X]

Mules: Narunarusagawa (all my mules are gonna start with Naru >^_^<)

NPC Friend: Yoli Kohlpaka

Jobs I plan to take to AF lvl: WHM, DRG
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

You think the wait for the update is bad.......Try the wait in Eldimere Necropolis or Ghelshba outpost :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: !!!!

Seems like everyone has NPC buddy fever!!!
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

hehe ya, you can say that again. lots of people trying to cut in line too
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Massive Congestion

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо