Worst job combos

A place to talk about... anything!
Kandora
Kitten

Worst job combos

Post by Kandora »

Baketsu and I were debating as to which job combos are the most worthless.

I feel that it is partially dependent on what you are doing at the time for certain quests XXX/BLM might be useful for warp.

Here is my opinion, please weigh in on this matter.

Worst combos in a party:

1) PLD/BST (Really anything but WAR is bad)
2) WAR/BLM
3) WHM/THF

Most useless combos for anything:
1) WHM/RNG
2) WAR/SMN (actually almost any non mage class with SMN
3) SAM/BRD ( Do we really need a singing Samurai?)

Once again these are only my opinions and I am probably wrong. :D
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

I would say NIN/BRD would be bad for Stealth operations, would wouldn't notice a singing ninja!
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Ill will base mine off combinations I have actually had the misfortune of grouping with at any point.

War/Whm ...you have no hps, no mp and your not a ghetto pld, and the actual whm is sick of healing your low hp, no defence ass..sub monk or at least some melee job until you become an actual PLD please.

War/Blm ....Please no..God make it stop..

War/Smn ...What...the...f***.. ( this was my exact comment upon joining the group ) ...What on gods green earth do you think you are accomplishing? You do realize you just set the record for the most useless fucking job combo on the entire planet right? No..just no..there is no way in hell I am healing or grouping with you..ever, I would feel better grouped with a chimpanzee. The future of your bloodline is apparently dim.

Thf/Blm ...What? you did not get enough hate on your own? Comon your making the whm real sad here.

Drk/whm ...umm..yea..ok..fine heal yourself, cause im not gonna.

thf/whm ...*sigh*

And my all time favorite...

mnk/Smn ...One would think, honestly considering he had all the summones that a player would have half a clue at that point. Not this guy..he thought he was honestly doing the group a favor. My thoughts...I talked the leader into giving it to me..found another player and punted the idiot..the whining ceased when he became only the 4th person ever to land on my black list. Yes I have a personal hate for morons.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

War/Whm = Useful for Soloing, but when it ocmes to EXP Parties, take my word, Its not exactly easy. so Basically Useful but not :P

and NIN/SAM is overated
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

ooh, we once had a war/smn who was using h2h...

A rdm/mnk who would only melee

A monk sub level 3 whm, and using a staff....

Gotta love the dunes >.>

[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Tivia wrote:War/Whm ...you have no hps, no mp and your not a ghetto pld, and the actual whm is sick of healing your low hp, no defence ass..sub monk or at least some melee job until you become an actual PLD please.
While not spectacular by any stretch, there are far worse things you can be. This does actually work, to an extent, up to the early 30s anyway.
Yes, I'd agree. Unless you have a main job with similar spellcasting skills as a black mage (the exception being a level 60+ ninja), using a black mage subjob is utterly pointless. If a level 15 black mage can't fight mandragoras in Yhoator Jungle with black magic, you can't either.
War/Smn ...What...the...f***..
Again... can a level 15 summoner fight mandragoras in Yhoator Jungle? No? Then why even bother with this?

You can cast ineffective summons that you can't sustain because you don't have the mp to, anyway. And a summoner's stats don't boost the strength, hp, or vitality a warrior needs. It's just all around bad. :|
Thf/Blm ...What? you did not get enough hate on your own? Comon your making the whm real sad here.
I don't think anyone with this job combination will ever be able to do a single thing right. The only hate they'll get is from the party.
I think this dark knight would be happier with a red mage subjob. At least it's more relevant ability-wise and he or she could still heal.
thf/whm ...*sigh*
I've actually used this combination :oops:

Seriously... Valkrum Dunes is so anti-thief and so desperate for healers... it was the only way to get an invite :D Don't worry, I switched to a ninja sub-job after that ;)
mnk/Smn ...One would think, honestly considering he had all the summones that a player would have half a clue at that point. Not this guy..he thought he was honestly doing the group a favor. My thoughts...I talked the leader into giving it to me..found another player and punted the idiot..the whining ceased when he became only the 4th person ever to land on my black list. Yes I have a personal hate for morons.

Even if you use a mage main job, and you sub summoner, the only time your summons should ever come out is if you're level 50+ and you're only using Aerial Armor. Otherwise, don't waste everyone's time. :P
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Worst combo possible:

Galka SMN/DRG

Yes, I've seen one. I assumed it was a joke.
Batsu
Feral Cat

Post by Batsu »

Actually PLD/BST is extremely good once you get Koenig armor. . . you can solo quite well.
[Active]
Chi - Level 60 Undead Rogue - Member of Unison - [Rank 9] Centurion ~ 12,695 Honorable Kills - 3 Dishonorable Kills

[Retired]
Batsu - Level 60 Elvaan Paladin - Level 56 Samurai
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

It all depends on the situation. Example: for Ninja AF3 NIN/SMN is the only way to go. :wink:
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
kittykitty
Kitten

Post by kittykitty »

I actually had a DRK/WHM in garlaige the other day. He really helped out because he could keep his Mp up with aspir in desperate situations and actually saved our party tank a few times. No this was not a bad party either, we were getting about 4500 exp an hour.
Master Thief in training: level 57
Goldsmithing = 28 a beautiful work in progress
I can fly!
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

kittykitty wrote:I actually had a DRK/WHM in garlaige the other day. He really helped out because he could keep his Mp up with aspir in desperate situations and actually saved our party tank a few times. No this was not a bad party either, we were getting about 4500 exp an hour.
I see a DRK/WHM as kinda a Red Mage on roids, he can cast some serious Elemental spells, can heal himself, can enfeeble, has a buttload more MP than if he had subbed WAR, and can carry around a big freeking sword!!!

Sorta like a Redmage who can carry Great Sword!!!
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

Tivia wrote:Ill will base mine off combinations I have actually had the misfortune of grouping with at any point.

War/Whm ...you have no hps, no mp and your not a ghetto pld, and the actual whm is sick of healing your low hp, no defence ass..sub monk or at least some melee job until you become an actual PLD please.

War/Smn ...What...the...f***.. ( this was my exact comment upon joining the group ) ...What on gods green earth do you think you are accomplishing? You do realize you just set the record for the most useless fucking job combo on the entire planet right? No..just no..there is no way in hell I am healing or grouping with you..ever, I would feel better grouped with a chimpanzee. The future of your bloodline is apparently dim.

thf/whm ...*sigh*

And my all time favorite...

Agreed, in a party these all suck, but soloing some of these aren't too bad.
Waef
Tomcat

Post by Waef »

Anything that isn't "cookie-cutter" isn't good :P with a few exceptions.
PLD67, WAR66, NIN60
Genkai5 [O]
ZM14
PM8-1 (Yay sea! =D)
Currently leveling: Bard
kashell
Tomcat

Re: Worst job combos

Post by kashell »

Kandora wrote:1) PLD/BST (Really anything but WAR is bad)
Actually a while ago there was a post about a nin/bst on Allahkazham using Charm to "provoke" mobs which actually can work better then provoke since you get 2 charm before you can use provoke. Of course there is the chance of charming the mob (assuming it can be charmed), which would be bad. But having /war is much better with defender, and warcry.
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

Since NMs can't be charmed, we have had a BST/NIN charm tank HNMs for us a couple times. Really good at holding hate. He'd spam charm like it was provoke and get the HNMs all angry. :lol:

I'd say anything/drg is useless, and then there's the thf/rdm, sam/rdm, rng/rdm that you see in the dunes... I mean, wtf people how does your 10 mp help me?
[img]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cdove/beachsig.jpg[/img]

Pyrexia : Mithran Fishercat : Federation of Windurst : Midgardsormr and Hades
---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Lixue
Kitten

Post by Lixue »

sometimes the combos I ponder of being are just for my own indulgance and are literally a joke.

like when I wanted to be nothing more than....NIN/SMN
Katsuki<3

Lixue: Midgardsormr
Leader of MithrasGoneWild
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

Understandable...

NIN/SMN :?

NIN/BLM on the other hand... there's some serious elemental wheel going on there, seems like a fun combo if I could stand NIN for another level.

No offense, but the only job that's been more of a torture to level than NIN is RDM...

---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Mielu
Kitten

>.> Thf/drg

Post by Mielu »

I have to admit that I have partied with a not so great combination. But I made it work!

I have used DRG to sub for my THF(26) cause it is the only two melee classes that I have leveled. Hear me out. THF main we all know, but combining Sneak Attack and Jump has got to be my most favorite thing to do. Guarunteed critical hit on a /ja that has a tendancy to miss very often is a nice way to counter act that downfall. Let the flames begin!
Mielu - San d'Orian Mithra Rank 5
57 WHM - 34 BLM - 20 SMN (Shiva only) - 35 DRG - 26 THF - 15 RDM - 15 BST - 7 RNG
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?22806
Cooking: 41 Clothcraft: 4
Current Project: WHM AF Body and Gloves, {Erase} {Can I have it?}, Blm to 40
Ephi
Housecat

Re: >.> Thf/drg

Post by Ephi »

Mielu wrote:I have to admit that I have partied with a not so great combination. But I made it work!

I have used DRG to sub for my THF(26) cause it is the only two melee classes that I have leveled. Hear me out. THF main we all know, but combining Sneak Attack and Jump has got to be my most favorite thing to do. Guarunteed critical hit on a /ja that has a tendancy to miss very often is a nice way to counter act that downfall. Let the flames begin!
i did that on my 1st trip to Garliage... the guy who invited me turned into an ass when he noticed i subbed DRG... seriously he said SATA Jump was sh*t... but the rest of the pt was sympathetic and they gave me 140k to lvl a good sub (unfortunately for that i wasnt and still rnt at the point where NIN costs anything... i bought a really decent set of various equip for my THF :) )... i was happy :D
I like jellyfish
Gimme a jellyfish
mmmm mercury :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/Ephisig2.png[/img]
<(^-^<) <(^-^)> (>^-^)>
KIRBY DANCE!!!
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Pyrexia wrote: NIN/BLM on the other hand... there's some serious elemental wheel going on there, seems like a fun combo if I could stand NIN for another level.
It's true,
nin/blm is a very good combination,
If you don't need to tank with your nin job you might as well sub blm on it.
Due to the int bonus you get from the blm sub your elemental Ninjutsu will do a reasonable amount of damage.
Making you the equivelant of a meleeing blm. :)

A nin/whm can also be a very effective solo job after lvl 42.
Utsusemi Ichi, Ni and Regen at your service.
Add some slow & Blind ninjutsu and add stoneskin at lvl 56 you're off soloing of T's and VT's :)
Since NMs can't be charmed, we have had a BST/NIN charm tank HNMs for us a couple times. Really good at holding hate. He'd spam charm like it was provoke and get the HNMs all angry.
Yup, Charm on uncharmable mobs indeed gives a whole lot of love of and next to that, Charm has a very short recast time so can be cast very often to keep the love on him. :)
About nin sub, at lvl74 even a whm can tank with nin sub because of Utsu Ichi and Ni.
Tho some Beastmasters I know have sworn by a nin sub starting at lvl 30 because of the evasion bonus, Dual wield for faster TP gain and Utsusemi.
According to them this works better then the whm sub most beastmasters use.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Punkerdood
Tomcat

Post by Punkerdood »

THF/SMN
SATA off your avatar!!!
75SAM
Rank7 sandoria
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Punkerdood wrote:THF/SMN
SATA off your avatar!!!
I asked a summoner friend if that could be done. He said no. But i wanna try anyway.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

Oh Oh, just thought of one....

BRD/DRG = Totally useless!!!!
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

Before a recent update, you could SATA off your avatars, no longer though :(

---
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Ugh really if you don't have a decent sub then you should go back and level one.

I've heard of RDM/NIN that only melees (dumbass) quite well known one on my server apparently.

DRK/RDM that use enspells that do 1-3 damage if that, just a waste of time when a WAR sub will add that much if not more to your damage anyway plus you'll be healing more and wasting all that TP which some DRKs just don't get.

WAR/WHM == wannabe PLD quite frankly I agree with Tivia and just don't bother as it's not really benefical to the party in the slightest.

NIN/BLM won't get you any party invites and unless your post-40 your elemental ninjutsu does jack anyway. NIN/RNG probably be a better DD if you've got your throwing up to scratch.

DRK/NIN - I've seen one. Why? Arguably she did a fair amount of dam but with a WAR sub could have done more.

Who said NIN and RDM is a pain to level? They've been my favourites so far! I love them both <3
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

^ I agree with you, RDM is fun!!!
Lixue
Kitten

Post by Lixue »

Sugami, do you care about nothing but the party? haha

I guess when reading through your post...I dunno.

I myself don't care too much for parties, or how much damage I'm doing. I'm doing things for fun. If people won't want to party with me for that, their loss. They lose out on getting to know me. It's a shame, but I guess that's how it goes. People get caught up in their stats, equipment, how to do the most damage and fail to notice the intricate details and history of Vanadiel.

I guess I try to search every corner for something new. I level and whatnot, but it's not my top priority. (as long as I get atleast a level a day I'm cool.) Exploring is way too fun.
Katsuki<3

Lixue: Midgardsormr
Leader of MithrasGoneWild
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

When it comes to job combos in an XP PT the worse ones are the ones with under leveled subs. That's my pet peeve. If a person feels strongly about being a WAR/RDM or THF/SMN, fine. IMHO if that's your thing go for it; you pay your money to play, play the way you want. (Somebody might give you a chance to prove yourself) But if you are going to "think outside the box" and are going to fight your position the least you can do is keep your sub capped. WAR32/WHM11 doesn't cut it in my book. All too often do I see these "free thinkers" looking for an XP PT with an under leveled sub. :roll:
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Lixue wrote:Sugami, do you care about nothing but the party? haha

I guess when reading through your post...I dunno.
Of course not. If I did then I wouldn't bother leveling so many jobs ^^
When in an EXP party if your subjob slows down or even puts the party in danger you should stop and think. If you want to do some weird job combo then fine do it in your own time but when it screws up the party that's where I draw the line. (using the proverbial "you" :P)

Seeing someone that is Rank 1 past level 20 really annoys me. How hard is it to get Rank 2? It's the whole point of the game is to follow the plot/story not just to get to lvl 75.

I agree with underleveled sub. I will not invite people with underleveled subs or suggest inviting them as they're no doubt noobs that will get the party killed. They often come coupled with low rank too, doesn't fill you with much confidence.

Additional:
Oh, I recently partied with a RDM 36/BLM 17 (sub is only one level underleveled but wait there's more!) with 2 astral rings and load of +1 equpiment. Oh Rank 2 aswell. Most likely RDM is their highest but how the hell can they afford that? *cough*gilbuyer*cough* ... just makes me angry (-_-)
Aesha Clan-Clan
Big Cat

Re: Worst job combos

Post by Aesha Clan-Clan »

1) PLD/BST (Really anything but WAR is bad)

no, not really. me and Tygari were talking about this a little while ago, and RDM would actually be a good PLD subjob, they get all those weapon enchantments, as well as blaze spikes, more mana, stoneskin..... there are a few others i forgot, but thats besides the point. yes, i do understand your missing out on voke, but you can be a tank without it, i believe this can be quite successful.
A catgirl is a woman or girl with cat ears and a cat tail, but an otherwise human body; they are found semi-commonly in anime and manga either as a form of cosplay or actual body parts, as well as in a few videogames. Catgirls wishing to look especially cute will wear over-sized mittens and shoes that look like paws. Fans unfamilar with the Japanese obsession with kawaii sometimes point out catgirls act more like kittens than grown cats, who can be aloof and surly.