Curious Little Kitten Looking for a Mithra Ninja Mentor

Dukuji
Mad Cat

Curious Little Kitten Looking for a Mithra Ninja Mentor

Post by Dukuji »

I am in love; love at first cast as I call it. The very first time I tossed a little shihei powder into the air I realized what I, as a mithra, was born to do; to walk the silent path of the ninja. For me it will always be the path of stealth and illusions. A paladin may tank by the light of day, but it is the ninja who tanks in the darkness of night. And look around you, see how the darkness grows. (My opinion; keep away from flames. :P )

Well, I want to be the best little ninja I can. I have read an immense amount of information on what it takes to be a ninja, but I have noticed that as a mithra (since we pretty much dominate most jobs :wink: ) the road for ninja is a little different then, say, for an Elvaan ninja. My humble request is this: Is there a highly experienced mithra ninja that has walked this job path that would be willing to advise me on my career path? Someone I could go to when I have questions on such things as gear and tactics? I am currently away from FFXI but will be playing again in a few more weeks.

Thanks for looking!
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Seek and ye shall find the nin-do, the Way of the Ninja.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=12
If anyone on Mithra Pride can help you, that is awesome. But if not, read a bit on allakhazam.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Anti-alla forever!
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

I'm in desperate ned of sleep so this will be short.

1.) always use katanas... all other weapons are at MOST class B. Katanas are A+ and they occur in different places than other similar skills in the skillchain chart... it'll add flexability to your life.

2.) Your two hour is an area effect. Use as last resort, but NEVER use in crowded area. our Ninja nuked himself in the middle of the ball room in Crawler's nest once. i immediately fired perfect dodge. and fled free of the room... i got clear of the nest, but the rest of the party got wasted.

3.) ShiHei get expensive. Learn woodworking to make your own.

4.) before going to valkurm dunes. have utsusemi. it will make it 9x harder, if you do not have it, to get a party. Also advertize that you DO have it if you have it in your search comments.
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

The very first time I tossed a little shihei powder into the air I realized what I, as a mithra, was born to do; to walk the silent path of the ninja. For me it will always be the path of stealth and illusions.
No offense, but I still snicker at the idea of a NIN tank. Somehow, using provoke seems counter to what a Ninja is. I keep imagining a Ninja in all black leaping about shouting "Yoo-hoo! Look at me! Wee! Hey! How about some HYOTON?! WOOOO!!! You can't hit me!"

Ahem...

On a serious note: I have used the Alla NIN guide. I took NIN to 37, and that's where it will stay. I will only use it as a sub-job for WAR and THF.

Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to layer your Utsu (as it says in the guide), even pre-37. Cast one Utsu BEFORE the puller goes out (so your Utsu timer will be up in time), evade a few hits, take a couple of hits, and before it knocks out your last shadow, recast Utsu. Far too many stupid NINs and WAR/NINs don't even do this, and it seriously ticks me off.

Always have a back-up voker. ALWAYS. A WAR, SAM, or MNK works well here. Another NIN would make a ping-pong Dream Team. DRK is iffy, as they go down quickly. DRG is also iffy unless it's the Dunes or maybe Qufim. If a party does not have a back-up voker, LEAVE. You will most likely die in a party without back-up.

The guide suggests spamming debuff powders. In my experience, the elemental powders suck. They are good for creating elemental weaknesses to delight your BLM, but the damage sucks and they don't seem to garner much hate. Later, the blind/slow powders are crucial, as they can mean that you lose fewer shadows.

The guide also suggests spamming shurikens. If you can afford this, go for it. This should do decent damage and snatch some hate.

+EVA and +AGI gear rocks for you. Too often I see NINs wearing Chain Mail and whatnot for the defense boosts. Your defense sucks, and you shouldn't take direct hits anyway. It's far better to focus on warding off hits entirely in order to spare those shadows.

1. The Beetle +1 gear at 21 adds plenty of evasion. I used it up to 37, with the exception of the body piece and legs. I used the Windurstian Gi and the San d'Orian Trousers instead when I reached the appropriate levels.

2. Packing on AGI helps a lot too. You will parry like crazy, especially after 35 when you don a set of Drone Earrings (you can use Dodge Earrings instead for even more evasion...it's a bit of a trade-off, I think). After 35, I parried left and right and evaded like crazy.

3. Emperor's Hairpin is another item you should look into. You don't need HP anyway. A cheaper option is the Dodge Headband (which is what I used).

4. Traveler's/Nomad's Mantle is an awesome investment as well.

I hope this helps. I can't offer you any advice on NIN post-37 though.
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Well, first let me say thank you to all of your thoughful replies. :) I'm surpirsed that we have (or so it seems) very few career ninjas in the pride. I'll have to change that. :D I think the main reason why there are so few high level ninjas is due to the high cost of job after 50 or so. (Or so I've been told)

Eviticus, thanks for the link. I have been reading that forum (and others like it) for many months now and they certinaly can be a great source of information. But, I think Kopopo was hinting on this, some of those sites are full of people people who tend to hurt more then help *cough cough gamefaqs cough*

Gwynn, thanks for tips, I had forgotten that Mijin Gakure is an area effect.
Sivara wrote:"Yoo-hoo! Look at me! Wee! Hey! How about some HYOTON?! WOOOO!!! You can't hit me!"
:lol: Oh Sivara, this made me laugh because when I play ninja this is exactly what I'm saying to myself. :lol: I find it addicting, "Ah, ha! Missed me again I see! Are you trying to hit me? Oh, I couldn't tell." :D Thanks for your response as well. I found the part about always having a back up tank pre-37 very interesting.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

Glad I made you laugh, and I'm glad I helped. :D
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Point: Ninja's vitality sux. There i said it. However, a Ninja's skills rank parrying, evasion, and dodging very very high. Just as paladins enhance thier good point, vitality, with gear, you have to pump your good points with gear.

While doing that, as you level you should be casting your ninjitsu as fast as you can before you get to level 12. Every time you cast ninja-invisibility you'rer going to be pumping your ninjitsu majic skill. Going into Valk at level 12 with 0 in ninjitsu isn't the best setup. You will get interrupted every time. After you get to level 15. spam debuff powders to keep that skill capped. you'll need it for yhungna jungle and onwards.

That being said. Some tips on gear. NEVER pay AH prices for katanas or ninja scrolls. The tenshodo sell ALL the basic katanas either in norg, Jeuno, or Port Bastok. The Guild has all the ninja scrolls in Jeuno.
Level 14 should have you in standard fighter gear with a +eva headband
Level 16 should see you in full +1 Bone gear, with allowances for awesome things like leaping boots etc...
Level 21 should be +1 Beetle gear which will last you a long time
Level 24 Put on the emperor's hairpin or wait until 26 for dodge headband.
Level 25 you should consider a Windurstian Gi & Windurstian Tekko for +accuracy and +attack.
Level 30 you will begin to see the mnk/sam/nin gear will become more appealing. While these are universally lower armor levels they all have bonuses that you will definitely need. After all, you're a Ninja, you shouldn't be getting hit anyway.

I'm only Nin27 so i can't give more advice than that, yet.
AFb:
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

quoted from Sivara, coments added by Kahvi

On a serious note: I have used the Alla NIN guide. I took NIN to 37, and that's where it will stay. I will only use it as a sub-job for WAR and THF.
//Kahvi's note: I'm personally gonna go RDM/NIN myself, i feel the two of them compliment eachother purrrfectly//

Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to layer your Utsu (as it says in the guide), even pre-37. Cast one Utsu BEFORE the puller goes out (so your Utsu timer will be up in time), evade a few hits, take a couple of hits, and before it knocks out your last shadow, recast Utsu. Far too many stupid NINs and WAR/NINs don't even do this, and it seriously ticks me off.
//Kahvi's note: not to mention that when you as a higher rank player trying to tell them to layer it they tell you your full of (explenitive deleted). before you /blacklist them due to thier bad language.//

Always have a back-up voker. ALWAYS. A WAR, SAM, or MNK works well here. Another NIN would make a ping-pong Dream Team. DRK is iffy, as they go down quickly. DRG is also iffy unless it's the Dunes or maybe Qufim. If a party does not have a back-up voker, LEAVE. You will most likely die in a party without back-up. //Kahvi's note: Backup tank is a must, even more so if the ninja refuses to layer Utsusemi, I'm speaking as a healer this time. nothing is harder on my MP than a nin/whatever that refuses to layer utsu and the closest thing to a backup tank is a dark knight, dragoon, or local red mage. //

The guide suggests spamming debuff powders. In my experience, the elemental powders suck. They are good for creating elemental weaknesses to delight your BLM, but the damage sucks and they don't seem to garner much hate. Later, the blind/slow powders are crucial, as they can mean that you lose fewer shadows.
//Kahvi's note: Red mages like debuff powders too. I think thier original intent was to assist for damage with weapon skills/skill chains, magic blasts, and your local black mage. //

The guide also suggests spamming shurikens. If you can afford this, go for it. This should do decent damage and snatch some hate.

+EVA and +AGI gear rocks for you. Too often I see NINs wearing Chain Mail and whatnot for the defense boosts. Your defense sucks, and you shouldn't take direct hits anyway. It's far better to focus on warding off hits entirely in order to spare those shadows.

1. The Beetle +1 gear at 21 adds plenty of evasion. I used it up to 37, with the exception of the body piece and legs. I used the Windurstian Gi and the San d'Orian Trousers instead when I reached the appropriate levels.

2. Packing on AGI helps a lot too. You will parry like crazy, especially after 35 when you don a set of Drone Earrings (you can use Dodge Earrings instead for even more evasion...it's a bit of a trade-off, I think). After 35, I parried left and right and evaded like crazy.
//Kahvi's note: a bonus for the Drone earrings or rings that add +DEX +wind resist is the resistance to Silence you get from the added +wind atribute. SIlence is the bane of a ninja. I thought it was strange when i first saw a ninja die in valkurm because a goblin cast silence and they couldnt utsu... maybe squenix watches too much anime and practally expect ninja to yell out thier attack names? who knows..//

3. Emperor's Hairpin is another item you should look into. You don't need HP anyway. A cheaper option is the Dodge Headband (which is what I used). //Kahvi's notes: Evasion is good. Feel the power of high evasion. ^_^ //

4. Traveler's/Nomad's Mantle is an awesome investment as well.

I hope this helps. I can't offer you any advice on NIN post-37 though.

//Kahvi's parting comments: Ya im not too much of a help prolly in this area, but as a healer and frontline mini DD, i see the diference a ninja makes with my elemental sword enchantments and weapon skill chains and MP levels. in the end it is up to you to decide how to play your ninja.

End of commentary.//
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

dukuji just ask me im a lvl 31 ninja with uber gear and i know how to play ninja till 75 (i have a lot of high lvl nin friends) anyways its easy being a ninja. first of all DO NOT GET - EVA UNTIL LVL 37. why well you need as much eva as possible at 37 you get utsusmeeijfae Ni with that its ok to lose eva to get items like ochiudhjh kote ( helps you keep hate) now try your best to get all eva gear. try to go for pure evasion like +1 eva rather than +1 agl. Armour wise from lvl 1-16 just get w/e lol it doesnt really matter. 16-21 get bone gear+1 but becareful of fightng gobs the -fire really hearts. from lvl 21-25 just keep bettle harness+1 but at lvl 24 get an emp pin. when you hit 25 you got 2 choices full federation gear or shade+1 gear. for poor people go for the federation but for your legs get kingdom trousers. i went for full shade gear+1 and kingdom trousers. i found that i look stupid in fed. gear. i am lvl 31 with these stats Eva+25 Agl+10 Str+10 Dex+4 Vit+4. plus i look hot in shade gear. now for weapons thats really up to you. i recomed this use katanas only! why well you are moresskilled with them than swrods. for example my katana skill is 93 and my sword skill is like 80 capped. now try and get katanas+1 the katanas im using are the rojgdsihsn katan ( spell inturuption rate down 25%) and umm i forgot the opther 1 lol. but w/e i think were on the same server so just ask me. also if you are just wondering about any melee classes just ask trust me i suprisingly know a lot. sry for spelling :oops:
im pretty much amazing

68/9 Nin, 47 Drg, 36 War and more
Tailfeather
Housecat

Post by Tailfeather »

i can give you an advice, try to have shihei with you (always), i got out of them in a pt... they kicked me out and found a replacement nin... the funnies with this is, that as soon i came out to quifim (i was in the tower) i got a pt direct, and they had no problem with that i hadnt any shiheis, and i tanked, after a while we dispanded, and i got a new pt directly, i said i was out of shihei and they still let me tank, thoose 2 pt was the greatest, the first ptleader was quite an <censur> ... :P
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

oh yea back to my first guide it really sucks trust me dont follow it lol if your ever on just ask i can give you a better explination
im pretty much amazing

Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

at 37 you get utsusmeeijfae Ni with that its ok to lose eva to get items like ochiudhjh kote ( helps you keep hate)
This is a valid point. At 37 and beyond, in theory you can have shadows up at all times by layering Utsu: Ichi and Utsu: Ni. At this point you could abandon the +eva equipment in favor of gear with better stats like +STR, +AGI, and +DEX.
Tamarik
Tomcat

Post by Tamarik »

Sivara wrote:
at 37 you get utsusmeeijfae Ni with that its ok to lose eva to get items like ochiudhjh kote ( helps you keep hate)
This is a valid point. At 37 and beyond, in theory you can have shadows up at all times by layering Utsu: Ichi and Utsu: Ni. At this point you could abandon the +eva equipment in favor of gear with better stats like +STR, +AGI, and +DEX.
The problem with this is that with the october patch, there are AoE attacks which will blow off all your shadows while causing direct damage, too. It's better to always keep as much evasion on you as possible in order to stay alive when you DO get caught without your shadows up. NIN's low defense and vitality means that when you get hit, you get plastered. I partied with a NIN around mid-40's with my THF and watched as he never took a hit... until an antican blew off his Utsusemi with firaga and proceeded to plaster him for nearly 100 dmg per hit... Luckily the casting time on Utsu: Ni is so fast that you can toss it up between attacks, but NIN tanks are so starved for hate that any time you require the WHM to cure you heavily you risk losing that hate...

Stick with evasion. :)
[img]http://www.lionking.org/~tamarik/sigs/ml-tamsig.gif[/img]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

The problem with this is that with the october patch, there are AoE attacks which will blow off all your shadows while causing direct damage, too. It's better to always keep as much evasion on you as possible in order to stay alive when you DO get caught without your shadows up.
Hence the "in theory." :D
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Hate is hard. You HAVE to have something other than just Provoke. WAR/MNK have Boost. PLD have Cures. Everyone has damage. But without SOMETHING other than just the 'voke and damage, you will lose hate 20 - 25 seconds after the first 'voke. This is probably your best use of all those powders that do damage and set up weaknesses.

In theory, NIN can hold hate like crazy if they are wealthy enough to spam Shirken like a RNG spams arrows. Someday I would like to meet such a NIN and see how it works. Maybe borrow a few hundred thousand gil too.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond and share such wonderful advice. :)

A question I currently have is at level 29 should I switch my leaping boots (Def: 3 DEX: 3 AGI: 3) to my RSE Savage Gaiters (Def: 5 HP: 16 STR: 3 CHR: 2)? I’ve heard of many Mithran ninjas doing this because of the increase in STR equals an easier time holding hate in a tanking situation; mithra being a bit short on the STR department and all. Saying that the 3 point loss in AGI is negotiable when compared to the STR increase.

Any thoughts?
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Tsybil wrote:Hate is hard. You HAVE to have something other than just Provoke. WAR/MNK have Boost. PLD have Cures. Everyone has damage. But without SOMETHING other than just the 'voke and damage, you will lose hate 20 - 25 seconds after the first 'voke. This is probably your best use of all those powders that do damage and set up weaknesses.

In theory, NIN can hold hate like crazy if they are wealthy enough to spam Shirken like a RNG spams arrows. Someday I would like to meet such a NIN and see how it works. Maybe borrow a few hundred thousand gil too.
They do have something else to help them hold hate. The problem is that they can't get it untill level 40. These would be the elemental Ni spells. They have a 1.5 cast time on them, each one builds on the one before it, and each one does about 100+ points of damage. This means that in less then 10 seconds a Ninja can deal about the same amount of damage as two SATA.
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

Dukuji wrote:Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond and share such wonderful advice. :)

A question I currently have is at level 29 should I switch my leaping boots (Def: 3 DEX: 3 AGI: 3) to my RSE Savage Gaiters (Def: 5 HP: 16 STR: 3 CHR: 2)? I’ve heard of many Mithran ninjas doing this because of the increase in STR equals an easier time holding hate in a tanking situation; mithra being a bit short on the STR department and all. Saying that the 3 point loss in AGI is negotiable when compared to the STR increase.

Any thoughts?
thats a tough one. your RSE give you more def and more hp with mithra need. however i guess its ok to lose eva+1 but i higly recomend keeping the leaping boots. on the other hand you can screw both options and buy shade feet things+1 nice def and eva+1. and the str 3 doesnt make a differeance seriously, im an elvaan who have high str but my hits still do like 4-15 dmg. and lvl 37 go ahead and go for ocudos kote for holding hate better
im pretty much amazing

Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Hmmm . . . I'll have to see on the boots then . . .

:?: I have another question. This one is regarding ninjitsu skill and capping it. Now since ninjitsu magic isn't given to ninjas until level 9 and not affordable until level 15 (when the elementals come into play) this means that by the time ninjas get their spells, their skills are already far behind. So, should I try capping my ninjitsu skill now or just keep partying and using my ninjitsu in battle? I know that as soon as I start getting some of the enfeebling ninjitsu (starting at level 19), having this skill capped or near capped is very important. My current level is 15, my ninjitsu skills are at 16, and the cap at this level is around 48.

Thank you in advance for your response! :)
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Dukuji wrote:This one is regarding ninjitsu skill and capping it. Now since ninjitsu magic isn't given to ninjas until level 9 and not affordable until level 15 (when the elementals come into play) this means that by the time ninjas get their spells, their skills are already far behind.
Yes, this is one of the hardest points of being a ninja. We rely on that one ability, utsusemi, to be cast in battle. Yet, we cannot effectively cast that one essential spell reliably in the middle of battle because of it's long cast time and longer recycle time. Never mind the fact that we cannot practice this until level 9 and even then it's expensive to practice.

This is why you need a reliable, and attentive Blink partner. When I'm partnering with a ninja as any kind of melee I count the shadows as they disappear. After the third one goes bye bye, I wait for the ninja to take one hit and I provoke the mob away. That one hit is usually essential on the timing. After I provoke, i'll take one, maybe two hits before the ninja can recast and provoke. It usually works out well.

As for skilling up, I reccomended casting the hide after level 9 as often as one can before getting utsusemi. I didn't do this and had a real problem with tanking through the dunes w/o an attentive blink partner.

What you'll also like to do is to level your parrying skills. You have two chances to parry, make the most of them! Using Parrying knives as another job (I did it as thief/nin when my Nin hit 10, so i'd get double skillup) before you even get into ninja will help immensely. One parry while recasting Utsusemi usually guarantees a successful cast.

You will HATE mandrogas. They're Monks, and as such will have two chances to block your casting. Also, expect your damage curve to go up. You'll lose all your shadows in just two attacks, not three. So, make sure you have a good blink partner when you hit kazham.

The good news is, however, that utsusemi levels ninjitsu quickly. Usually i'll get a +0.3 for casting utsusemi 1/4th of the time and +0.1 for casting suiton and hoyton about 1/5th of the time. I'm now level 27 ninja and my skill hasn't capped quite yet, but it's close, and i can reliably cast utsusemi while taking damage.
AFb:
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

ok lmao i didnt use anything BUT utsusemi till lvl 23 man my ninjustsu was FAR behind. however you ninjustu is going to be capped at the same lvl you katan is capped. the only ninja tools i use is slow, poision, utsusmei, fire, and water and those get me capped. i would use more but i cant carry to many items cause im to lazy to do goobie bags ><

and gywwn mags can be your best friends. why make them enemys when you can change thins around. ok rule for mags they are of course mnks the eat you shadows alive. ok before puller pulls cast utsusmei. puller pulls. target mob get hit once then start casting your second utsusmei. then once you are able to cast utsusemi again wait for the mag to hit you once then right when he does his second attack cast utsusemi. since mags aare mnks it takes awhile for them to hit you so that give you time to get your shadow up
im pretty much amazing

Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

waht sasu's trying to emphasize is that layering your Utsusemi is important. When your puller Pulls, cast utsusemi, by the time the mob is brought into camp and engaged, your should last until you can recast. When your second shadow disappears recast. (First shadow for mandys) You can then blink awaay six hits while holding hate at the start of battle. After that your blink partner needs to give your time to recast.
AFb:
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Yeah, the layering of the shadows is something that most Ninjas should pick up on quick. With gobs I can (about 50% of the time) get a third layer of shadows up. (Oh, Utsusemi: Ni where are you?) Last night though it was pugils (monks?) and they would just tear into me and eat my shadows like a kid with candy on Halloween. Good thing I had a smart JP Taru Mnk/War who knew how ninjas operate (the two hume Sam/War were worthless; humes go figure :P ) and two great MP members that came out to PL us (Shiro, Poh :wink: you're the best.)

Anyways, by just throwing an Elemental out once every battle and my normal utsusemi casting I was able to to go from ninjitsu level 14 to 34 in just three job levels. (It also gave the BLM something to help land his spells with gusto.) Next level I get Kurayami: Ichi which means my skills should level up even faster once I start throwing that out as well.

Hey, 200th post! Fweeep!
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

:?: New question for you Ninjas out there. The Nikkariaoe; a level 30 katana notorious for its 25% spell interruption rate down ability. (Here is discussion a on this Katana). Now, I’m convinced that it’s worth the price and I almost have enough to buy it. Having my casts interrupted one out of four less times will be a life saver. My question is, how long should I use it for? Has anyone tried it out? My thoughts are to use this until I get Utsusemi: Ni at 37. Any thoughts? :?
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

There is something I've wanted to try, and I'm not sure how well it will work.

The unexpectedly useful ninja/mage! :D

The downside to the ninja mage is that it's extremely expensive because of the amount of tools you'll need to buy, and 95% of people won't take you seriously at all, let alone as a tank (melee main job + mage sub job = newbie :oops: )

The generally accepted time to try this is at level 60.

If you use a black mage subjob, you get the passive ability Magic Attack Up 2. You may be asking what that has to do with anything...

Well, this influences Ninjitsu, not just black magic. The damage that a ninja's elemental spells will dramatically improve. So much so, that if you cycle through all six while maintaining Utsusemi, you'll never lose hate.

Seems insane doesn't it? It's definitely the most creative combination I've seen in awhile 8)

I've wondered how well this would work starting at an earlier level.

Red Mages gain Fast Cast at level 15, so could a level 30 nin/rdm cast Ustusemi:Ichi fast enough that they aren't interupted? And would using elemental Ninjitsu without a Magic Attack Up bonus still hold enough hate? But, Red Mages do get Magic Attack Up 1 at level 20... so maybe this would work better as a level 40 Ninja instead. In this case, maybe Fast Cast could speed up the cooldown for Utsusemi:Ni so you wouldn't need to use Ichi at all?
:?:
If a red mage doesn't work at 30, maybe a black mage would instead because they get Magic Attack Up 1 at that level.

Sadly, just using Utsusemi is expensive enough. I couldn't imagine the cost casting a dozen Ninjitsu spells a fight than just a couple. But I still think it would be fun to try, if just to prove that it could be done. :P Someday when I'm a rich and famous mithra, maybe I'll do just that :lol:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Nin/Blm is a probably the most viable option of the mage jobs. You could start trying at level 40 when you get the faster Ninjitsu elemental spells. It works quite well from what I’ve heard. It provides good steady damage; just under a BLM and a RNG (so I’ve been told). Not used so much in a tanking role as it is used in DD role. Without the Provoke ability it’s hard to gain the attention of the mob fast and consistently. The problems of this combo arise from two areas (1) like you said, nobody will take you seriously (2) another DD? Join the unemployed group of DRKs, DRGs, THFs, MNKs, SAMs, and other non-tanking NIN/(whatevers) and WAR/(whatevers) all LFP. With warrior subbed looking for a party is much less painful.

Like you said though, it would be fun to play around with. I’ve heard of RDM/NIN who have been able to solo some crazy stuff.

The great thing about the Ninja job is that it's extremely versatile can be adapted to multiple settings with the right combinations. Not many jobs enjoy such a diverse palette as the ninja. It all comes at a cost though.
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

When Tamarik needed to get his ninjitsu up to par, he talked me into tanking some high-level (to his ninja) beasties for him. Sort of a cross between a powerlevel and a skillup party.

With my 65 or so white mage, I'd aggro a Qufim crab, smack it around to get lots of hate, then cast blind and paralyze and turn around, so it'd stand there whiffing uselessly for ages. Then Tamarik spammed ninjitsu nukes as fast as he could. We moved up to acrophies, then bats in Behemoth's Dominion before he hit his 60-something cap. All done in 30-40 minutes.
Sugarpie
Big Cat

Post by Sugarpie »

Personally...ninja job bugs the crap out of me i hate the job but i have to lvl it because i love Thief

1. Ninja costs WAY to frecking much its like 10k for a stack of shihei
2. To get Ninjitsu up you have to pretty much spend crap loads of money
3. Its boring for me at least because all you do it get hit which i can do on warrior and have more fun while doing it

Don't listen to what is say cause i hate the job
I got a PL from lvl 12 to 22 JUST because it annoys me
and i won't lvl it without a PL i am about to go nin/thf i don't care if it bugs people

Monk is a better job then Ninja, and thief pwns them both
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/Tanvarin/sugar-sig.png[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

The cost of ninja tools will continue to rrrise as the cost of crystals and elm logs do. :roll: