Computer/HDTV question (Help me out!)

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Computer/HDTV question (Help me out!)

Post by Keavy »

Okay, so I'm gonna buy a new computer and HDTV here soon. I've decided to go with a Mac Mini because its all the computer I need and, honestly, it just looks cool.

What I wanna do is use my HDTV as a monitor for the Mac. How do I do this and what do I need? I don't trust the people at Best Buy and Circuit City and the girl at the Apple Store looked at me like I was talking in a foreign language.

So yeah...just let me know what I need and how much its gonna cost me please. Thanks a bunch! :) :) :)
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

You need the HDTV to have DVI/Component inputs and a Video card with DVI out. The video card will need to come with a DVI to Component Converter if the HDTV does not have DVI, or a DVI or HDMI converter works just as well.

If you have to buy either separately, People sell Monster Grade cables for under $30 on Ebay brand new for both of those conversions all the time. that is really all you need, it is pretty straight forward.

As a note, you want to go with LCD technology for this if you can. The Screen resolutions are far superior from a computer perspective and Text is far more legible then on CRT/Projection/Plasma.

As far as cost, it depends on the size screen you go with. Samsung, Hyundai, Sharp all give you the Biggest bang for your buck concerning screen quality and size. I would lean to Samsung first, Sharp Second and Hyundai last myself.

Do Not Buy an Syntax, or Akai...Trust me on this.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Well, when I said cost I meant stuff I needed to buy on top of the computer ($600 with wireless keyboard and mouse) and the TV (I wanted to keep it under $2,000 but was willing to go higher if I needed to) and the Mac Mini comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor in the box (According to the Apple website.)

So if the thing in the box and the appropriate cables are all I need I will be very happy indeed. I just want to be able to be playing FFXI or any other game, hit a button, go to GameFaqs or a similar site, get what I need to know, and switch back to the game. Hopefully with my character still alive. I...go anon in bad places and forget to pause offline games. :oops:

Also my current Mac needs to be retired. The graphics chip, HDD, Combo Drive, and CRT tube all need to be replaced and the guy at the Apple service center said "Dude, it's just cheaper to get a new Mac."
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

First point,

DVI to VGA is a common adapter and is used for older monitors. This is not the cable you need or want, that downgrades your signal. So long as the Mac has the DVI output then all you need to know is what input does your hdtv have. You have three choices; DVI, Component, and HDMI. You prefer DVI or HDMI because those are the best signal. Component is a downgrade.

Most newer HD will have DVI or HDMI, the only difference from your use is the HDMI has sound built into it, so you would see zero picture difference.

$2000 is more then enough to get a quality screen unless you are looking for 50"+ To me the optimal size is 37" to 42".
Given your budget This would be my choice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889102106
Cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812189137

Obviously get whatever length of cable you want, I suggest browsing ebay for the high quality ones although Link depot is not bad at all, this was just to show you the type of cable I would connect with. This IMO would be the biggest bang for your $, and provide you the best viewing experience now and into the future.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

6' should be more than enough since my Mac will be on top of my Wii (I just think that would look cool) and that TV is similar to the one I was looking at getting.

Thanks for the help. I was just scared that if I went into Best Buy and asked them that they would financially rape me and I'd end up with a mess of cords to go along with my current mess of cords.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

If you let them they will, if you go in armed with the knowledge you need then you are going to be fine.

Informed consumer vs uninformed consumer.

Do not get me wrong, if you go HD tv and do not already have Top quality cables you Will want them. I just suggest buying them off Ebay or newegg instead for a Fraction of the cost.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Computer/HDTV question (Help me out!)

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting