The High Quality Synthesis

Catsby
Kitten

The High Quality Synthesis

Post by Catsby »

exactly how many levels above an item's cap must i be in order to consistantly get high quality results? also, what day do you get better result on? i have heard both light and darkday.
Klenath
Big Cat

Post by Klenath »

High-quality synths are a goofy thing. Perfect example:

I can, on occasion, HQ an arrowwood lumber synth with no kind of synthesis support. My woodworking is 28, arrowwood lumber caps at 2 or 3. Usually this happens on a New Moon, Darksday, or Iceday since the synth requires a wind crystal. Any time outside those parameters is pure luck for that synth for me.

While skilling on Yew Wands (yew lumber + yag feather + wind crystal) I was at 4 levels under the cap. While skilling on a New Moon and on Iceday I pulled of a HQ synth and ended up with a Yew Wand +1 while being 4 levels under the skill cap! I did have advanced support at the time, but I was skilling a craft so this is common.

The key I've found to HQ synths is try to do it on Darksday, the day the crystal you're using is weak (Iceday for wind crystal, Watersday for fire crystal, etc.), and if ever possible craft on a New Moon.

From what I've seen:

New Moon = faster skill ups / greater chance of HQ synth
Full Moon = more items drop / greater chance of a successful synth
Darksday = faster skill ups / greater chance of HQ synth
Day on which synth crystal is weak = greater chance of HQ synth

Elemental Weakness Chart:

http://www.ukg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/elemental.htm

EDIT: correct recipie, i think it's yew lumber + yag feather + wind
Last edited by Klenath on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

I posted most of this in the Alexander section so I will gladly say it here too.

First off there is one word which one must know before undertaking HQ synthing. And that word is: RANDOM. Also, there are a lot of theories on a lot of things and I will discuss what I believe to be correct. (But like I hinted, nothing is concrete; there is no sure fire formula to make an HQ.) Another thing is that there are a lot of things that go into a HQ product.

First thing I wish to discuss is regarding HQ and skill level. This was said by Eruntalon on good old Allakhazam, "It is rumored that the HQ chance is not linear, but is actually tiered. It is further rumored that there is a maximum chance that hovers somewhere around 50%."

In my experience, I can attest to this. (Even though I do not consider myself a great crafter.) As a smith I spend most of my time making consumables (faster sell and better ROIC). I have made several hundred Bronze Ingots so far in my career as a smith. Bronze Ingots cap at smithing level 2. The number of HQ synths I get at my current level (23) and the number I got as a level 2 smith are very comparable. At both levels I get about a 2-3% HQ rate, even though I am 21 levels higher than the cap.

Now yes, I know what you are thinking, "But Dukuji, there is no HQ product for Bronze Ingots." This is true; the HQ of a Bronze Ingot synth is a Bronze Ingot. But, I know when a HQ happens because I get the special little HQ animation. (Looks like the Death Star blowing up and sounds like something getting sucked up a vacuum.)

Now, let us consider Iron Ingots. Unlike many other types of ingots, Iron Ingots do have a HQ synth, a good one at that too; the almightily Steel Ingot. (Worth at least double the price of Iron Ingots.) It's for the chance of obtaining a Steel Ingot that all those desynthers buy the lightening crystals and beastmen armor pieces. Anyways, I'm a smith, not a desynther, and I have made several hundred Iron Ingots. The skill cap on them is at 20. At level 23 I get about 2-3% HQ synths off of Iron Ingots. It is interesting to note that even though I am only 3 levels above the cap, I've had about the same amount of luck getting an HQ off of an Iron Ingot as I've had getting an HQ off a craft I'm 21 levels above (Bronze Ingots).

If the chance of a HQ is linear, like commonly believed, then I should see a significantly larger number of HQ with the lower level synths then I should see with synths that I am at a comparable level with. To me this suggests that perhaps there is a tiered system involved with synthing. I saw a level 50-something smith sit down and start making Iron Ingots but, about 25-33% of them where not Iron but Steel. After talking to him he said that around smithing level 50 you will see a sharp very sudden climb in the number of HQ products in several crafts.

It is wise to note (although I cannot verify this through my own results) that many crafters believe that to obtain an HQ on a regular basis you need to be about 30 levels above the skill cap level. Like I said, I can neither verify nor prove this to be invalid. But like the level 50 some smith that was making those Steel Ingots he was about 30 levels higher then the cap.

Okay, now regarding days to craft. Many crafters believe that the best days for HQ and skillups is on the day the crystal is weak against (in my case fire is weak against water, so Watersday) and on Darksday. Many also believe that the best day to land a synth but have less skillups and HQs is the day of the crystal, the day the crystal is strong against (in my case Iceday), and Lightsday.

When I do get an HQ product I've noticed that when I'm using Fire crystals, I'm more likely to get a HQ on Darksday and on Watersday but, these are they days that I have more synth failures (even on the Bronze Ingots). The days I have the most success making the synth but not getting a HQ have, so far, included Firesday and Lightsday (I haven't kept track of Iceday so I can not say either way on that one).

There is also a theory on which way to face while crafting. I am currently running tests on this and do not wish to comment on this at this time.

Now, remember, this has been my experience and it is very limited to a handful of synths that I have repeated many, many times and only in one craft. And again, as with most things in this game, luck seems to play the largest role.

Good luck and happy crafting!

8) <== Glasses on for safety
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
maryadavies
Tomcat

Post by maryadavies »

Um..*clears throat*

I acutally saw a thread on this on Allakhazam that might be enlightening:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... 0388898652

And here's one more:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... 7144398694

Hope that helps :thumb:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/maryadavies/Mary.jpg[/img]
~~Also known as Elizara ([url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530]WHM/BLM, I'll help if ya ask![/url])

[url=http://maffcode.vze.com]My FF Code[/url]
Mod on [url=http://oneroomstudios.illuminata7.net/ffxi/boards/]Kopopo's Opo-pos[/url], a new FFXI board. Come on over!
Klenath
Big Cat

Post by Klenath »

Nice find Eliz - really solid work done by the poster with a well planned research path with good data.
Catsby
Kitten

Post by Catsby »

Thank you very much. I'm definately going to note this and do all my synth on the correct days
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

At 30 levels above the skill cap, you will have a 30% chance. At 29, 2 - 3%. BUT advanced synth support is worth +2, a workbench + 1 or 2, etc. Push everything mentioned in those Alakazam threads and you can get that 30% chance when still perhaps only 25 - 28 over the cap.

On the caps at 50% thing, I once watched someone HQ musical instruments. EVERY synth a +1, never a normal synth, never a miss. Not a great moon, and I didn't know the weak day thing then, I just remember it was not darkday. It was a few updates ago.

On a couple of runs of Roast 'shrooms, I got a 25% HQ rate when still only 18 or 20 over the cap, and I don't know how I did it. :cry:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Maybe that there is some bonus for repeated crafting of an item... it would most likely be small bonus, but considering that there are lots of things that can add to teh success it is quite possible that teh person HQ'ing those instruments had all the right +1's and +2's for what they were making.

but this is just a hypothesys, i have no way to figure it out since im not a crafter... I'm a fisher...

mmm fishies...
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Fisssh! :9
Catsby
Kitten

Post by Catsby »

well i think a field test is in order. im going to hit up ghelsba for some sweet sweet elm and then i will make a spreadsheet recording my results. im probably going to use arrows from different ranks to test.
Lothiriel
Kitten

Post by Lothiriel »

The 50% HQ cap is accurate, it happens 50-51 skill levels above the skill cap. Yesterday I had Ayume (85 Alchemy) make 60 synths worth of animal glue for me (cap 7). HQ rate overall was almost spot-on 50%, neutral moon phase and day. The thing is though, sometimes you'll get 5 NQs in a row and then 5 HQs in a row, which is why it can seem like people can HQ nonstop. In truth, the overall average is 50%.

Another example, a synth that I do frequently for extra gil caps at 31 skill levels beneath me, and I've HQed 5 in a row before (again neutral day/moon but with adv. support). Usually I have 1-2 HQs per 12 synths, sometimes I don't get any. From my experience, the allakhazam link posted earlier is 100% accurate.
[img]http://rikku.as.arizona.edu/~mgraham/personal/images/sig.jpg[/img]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: The High Quality Synthesis

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо