For all you DRKs out there

mozyr
Housecat

For all you DRKs out there

Post by mozyr »

Has anyone had trouble getting a party playing as a DRK/THF? I got my DRK up to 42 while subbing THF, but when I started looking for parties in Crawlers Nest at 42 (it's sort of a transitional level, I know), I found I wasn't getting any -- but all the DRK/WARs were. I was recently invited to a party as my 42 DRK (a few times, actually) and promptly got booted when they found out that I wasn't subbing WAR.

I'm leveling my WAR to 37 to sub with DRK all the way, because I've also heard that with the last version update, they've really made SATA suck with a double-handed weapon. I'm not sure if this is true or not and would like someone to substantiate it.

I understand that DRKs are meant to be damage dealers, and it's probably best to sub WAR since you get to use Berserk and Last Resort and do more damage. You also get more STR than you'd get if you subbed THF (I've checked).

Have any of you run into that problem of not being able to get a party as a DRK because you haven't been subbing WAR? I've been seeing a lot of DRK/WARs running around lately on the Siren server. I'm just wondering if it's the same everywhere else.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://www.livejournal.com/community/bad_rpers_suck]Bad RPers Suck[/url]
Mozyr, San d'Orian Mithra (5-2), Siren Server[/blue]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

personally i won't be in a party that won't accept anything but the traditional subjobs. I say this as one who grew up as a RDM/THF. Stereotypes are boring. Sure as a DRK/WAR you can use the +attack features. but DRK/BLM can cast a Crapload of elemental spells AND attack.. Personally if i see a 'Taru DRK, i'd rather they be DRK/BLM than DRK/WAR.
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Huh, I'd rather a DRK have /THF until 50 anyway. What weird parties in the Nest these days.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

Gwynn said: personally i won't be in a party that won't accept anything but the traditional subjobs.

Maybe it's just the Siren server, but we have a lot of subjob Nazis on there. I call them that because they're like, "You can't sub anything but WAR with NIN because NINs are supposed to be blink tanks" or "You need to sub WHM with RDM because you get more MP." Hmm. I had no problem whatsoever getting parties as a RDM/THF and RDM/WAR up to 38. And even then I was still getting invites to join parties with no WHM sub. *shrugs*

Gwynn said: I say this as one who grew up as a RDM/THF.

Hear, hear.

Gwynn said: Stereotypes are boring. Sure as a DRK/WAR you can use the +attack features. but DRK/BLM can cast a Crapload of elemental spells AND attack..

I guess the mentality of people on the Siren server is that "DRKs can only be damage dealers. Therefore, since you get Berserk as a WAR and can do more damage, the only way to be a good DRK is to have WAR subbed."

Someone asked me this a while ago, though:

If you were looking for a tank for your party, would you invite a PLD/WAR or a PLD/RDM? If being a PLD means holding the hate, wouldn't you be able to hold it better if you have Provoke?

I don't necessarily agree with that, because when I subbed RDM with DRK until about 30 or so (so I could use Sneak Attack when I subbed THF), I was getting a LOT of hate from casting spells. The tanks could NOT get the hate off of me (remember -- this is with a mage sub!)

Gwynn said: Personally if i see a 'Taru DRK, i'd rather they be DRK/BLM than DRK/WAR.

Agreed.

Firemyst said: Huh, I'd rather a DRK have /THF until 50 anyway. What weird parties in the Nest these days.

All I want to do is level this thing to 50, then maybe go work on some other jobs for a bit. Grr.

I can understand wanting to sub WAR since mithras don't exactly have the highest STR in the game. If you sub WAR, you get more STR which makes you hit harder and do more damage. Still. Now it seems like one of the trends is having this buttload of NIN blink tanks all over the place which makes being a PLD obsolete. Grr.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

I've also heard that with the last version update, they've really made SATA suck with a double-handed weapon.
That's just a rumor, I believe. It wasn't in the version update notes, and I'm still pulling off 500+-damage SA-Sturmwind/Keen Edge moves.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the big reason for DRK/WAR: SATA partner. You really need someone to voke and hold the hate while SATA is set up and executed. Sure, it could be done without Provoke, but as soon as a hasty mage fires something off, there goes the hate, and the monster is getting out of position for SATA.

You are better off having both THF and WAR leveled up. Put "Subjob=THF or WAR" in your search comment, and when you get an invite, ask what they want you to sub. Some parties may want THF for a big hit on a WS; others may need you as a SATA partner.

As a WAR, I always put my list of available subs in my search comment, and I always ask what is expected of me before I leave my Mog House. I always try to be very flexible so that I can adapt to any party situation. :D
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Sivara wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned the big reason for DRK/WAR: SATA partner. You really need someone to voke and hold the hate while SATA is set up and executed. Sure, it could be done without Provoke, but as soon as a hasty mage fires something off, there goes the hate, and the monster is getting out of position for SATA.
Gald you mentioned this. I was the only tank in our party last night in Altepa and I really wish the galka DRK/THF would have been a DRK/WAR to help me hold hate. We already had a THF and DRG/THF that were spaming SATA and SA and a BLM that thought he was at a BBQ. (Taru of course) :D Like you said it's good to be flexible with your subjobs.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Sivara wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned the big reason for DRK/WAR: SATA partner. You really need someone to voke and hold the hate while SATA is set up and executed. Sure, it could be done without Provoke, but as soon as a hasty mage fires something off, there goes the hate, and the monster is getting out of position for SATA.
/em Hides her marauder's knife....
Damn forgot about that. usually i rely on our puller to hold hate until I can staple hate on a paladin with SATA. Lacking another puller, if i have to pull, that extra provoke is most neccessary
AFb:
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

I've got THF and WAR and RDM all leveled up for a while (WAR at 37, RDM at 38, THF at 30). I do tend to ask people what they need me to sub before I join a party.

The stupidest reason I've been denied a party as a DRK/THF when my WAR sub wasn't leveled:

"We need a second tank."

Uhhhh....DRK = not a tank. They didn't need a second provoker -- I asked. They needed a second tank. I was confused.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

mozyr wrote:The stupidest reason I've been denied a party as a DRK/THF when my WAR sub wasn't leveled:

"We need a second tank."

Uhhhh....DRK = not a tank. They didn't need a second provoker -- I asked. They needed a second tank. I was confused.

-- Sarah
:lol: Then it was probably a good thing that you didn't hook up with that party. Good chance you saved yourself from an untimely death.

Reminds me of the player that told me that Garliege is that only place to level at 33 and anybody who didn't want to party there is an idiot. Needless to say I didn't ask him to come to Altepa again.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

At least you don't have people training citadel bats, fallen majors, and revenants in the Eastern Altepa Desert. -_-; I just got the Altepa crystal a few weeks ago. I'd rather level there than Garlaige anyday, but people are real pains about going there:

"It's too far away!"
"I don't /want/ to go to Bastok!"
"I don't know how to get there." (okay, so that's a viable excuse)

The first time I went to Altepa, I really didn't want to go there, but I went anyways and had a blast.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

mozyr wrote:"It's too far away!"
Nowhere's far away once you get your Telepoint Crystals. Hell Burimu penninsula was far away before i got my crystal.
mozyr wrote:"I don't /want/ to go to Bastok!"
I'm from Bastok, and proud of it, so I LOVE altepa.
mozyr wrote:"I don't know how to get there." (okay, so that's a viable excuse)
But once you do, it's easy.
mozyr wrote:The first time I went to Altepa, I really didn't want to go there, but I went anyways and had a blast.
everyone does. Personally i'll never waste my post 30s in garliage again, unless i can get a party that will camp out by the banishing gate.
AFb:
Rekahkun
Big Cat

Post by Rekahkun »

Gwynn wrote: Personally i'll never waste my post 30s in garliage again, unless i can get a party that will camp out by the banishing gate.
agreed. i had a pt by the gate and it was great. it was also fun opening the gate for anyone who happened by :D
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

Gwynn said: Nowhere's far away once you get your Telepoint Crystals. Hell Burimu penninsula was far away before i got my crystal.

Yeah, I know. I'm from San d'Oria. Getting the Teleport-Mea crystal was time consuming, but it saves time to get them in the long run. I'm going to get a scroll of Instant Warp, a chocobo, and head into the Yhoator Jungle this weekend to get Teleport-Yhoator. I'll need it eventually anyways.

Gwynn said: I'm from Bastok, and proud of it, so I LOVE altepa.

I find the people that bitch about not wanting to go to Altepa are the same people who don't have the teleport crystals and are too lazy to get them. Grrr.

Gwynn said: everyone does. Personally i'll never waste my post 30s in garliage again, unless i can get a party that will camp out by the banishing gate.

Same here. Now if I can only find a party as a 42 DRK/21 WAR... You know, I've noticed that every time I don't have my party flag up, I get asked to join a party. Then when I do have my party flag up, I don't get invites. Murphy's Law. Hooray!

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Valkyr
Tomcat

Post by Valkyr »

im the expert on this subject as i have spent the time to lvl my drk up to 60 using a thf subjob i may add....drks dont need a war subjob for the whole pld sata hate thing....all u gotta do is have the drk pull which i do all the time in that situation....one party i was in the thf pulled so all i had to do was cast stun to get it facing me for sata hate....theres many ways around the war subjob....as for the sata partner thing, the pld should be able to hold the hate enough so that it doesnt goto the mages... that way u can still be the partner...sure ive been turned down many a time with a tell asking me to sub war but honestly drk shouldnt provoke in the first place...using souleater itself sometimes takes the hate away from a tank so its not like u need more hate when about 6-7 hits can kill you...sure your missing out on berserk and warcry but considering drks have a curse with accuracy id rather have a sure shot of dealing that critical...at the level i am now ive had SATA + Souleater + Guillotine do about 950 damage against IT mobs every 6 min and i do round 500 every maybe 2 min with just SATA Guillotine...war subjob just isnt worth it when u reach 60...only complaints i have is the drk 2hr...i never use it unless im solo or just messing around...and it works so well against the undead *sarcasm*
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

I finally got my DRK up to 43 last night. God. That only took, oh, two freaking months because NO ONE wanted to party with me so long as I had THF subbed. Grrr.

Maybe this is just a Siren server thing. We seem to have a whole cloister of subjob Nazis.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Rekahkun
Big Cat

Post by Rekahkun »

yah, my drk is at 43 and i've never had any real trouble getting a party. i always sub thf. there was only one party where i subbed war, and that was only because i wanted to see how it worked out. really, it's not very noticable. if i want hate i just hit {Last Resort} and {Souleater} and that pretty much takes care of that. :P another good way to get first hate for the initial SATA is by casting an Absorb spell first thing. i always do that anyway (gotta make that 399k i spent on {Absorb-DEX} pay off :roll: ).
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

I need to figure out which NM drops Absorb-Dex.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

You don't have to kill a NM forrr it. This monster drops them:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/bestiary.html?fmob=743
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

At least you don't have people training citadel bats, fallen majors, and revenants in the Eastern Altepa Desert. -_-;
Good point. But yesterday someone trained a few Lost Souls (!!!) to the zone in Altepa. Where the heck did they drag those bones up? :? Nevertheless, it's a great place to party and you don't have to camp on the only exit route (like in Garbage Sh*ttyhell).

And Valkyr makes some very good points. I didn't think of having the DRK pull for hate. Of course, in a situation where the party wants the RNG or THF to pull, the DRK will have to grab hate. Souleater/Last Resort/a nice absorb spell can really irritate a mob and get a decent amount of hate to set up SATA. Thanks for the contribution, Val. :wink:
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

Lost Souls? WTF? The only place I've seen those is in the Eldieme Necropolis. *boggles*

Maybe the undead wanted a little bit of sun?

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

Lost Souls are in the Desert near the OP where the goblins are. They make it so the PT has to hide the damn cave and the puller has to be very good at night time. -.-
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: For all you DRKs out there

Post by xaresity »

http://audiobookkeeper.ruhttp://cottagenet.ruhttp://eyesvision.ruhttp://eyesvisions.comhttp://factoringfee.ruhttp://filmzones.ruhttp://gadwall.ruhttp://gaffertape.ruhttp://gageboard.ruhttp://gagrule.ruhttp://gallduct.ruhttp://galvanometric.ruhttp://gangforeman.ruhttp://gangwayplatform.ruhttp://garbagechute.ruhttp://gardeningleave.ruhttp://gascautery.ruhttp://gashbucket.ruhttp://gasreturn.ruhttp://gatedsweep.ruhttp://gaugemodel.ruhttp://gaussianfilter.ruhttp://gearpitchdiameter.ru
http://geartreating.ruhttp://generalizedanalysis.ruhttp://generalprovisions.ruhttp://geophysicalprobe.ruhttp://geriatricnurse.ruhttp://getintoaflap.ruhttp://getthebounce.ruhttp://habeascorpus.ruhttp://habituate.ruhttp://hackedbolt.ruhttp://hackworker.ruhttp://hadronicannihilation.ruhttp://haemagglutinin.ruhttp://hailsquall.ruhttp://hairysphere.ruhttp://halforderfringe.ruhttp://halfsiblings.ruhttp://hallofresidence.ruhttp://haltstate.ruhttp://handcoding.ruhttp://handportedhead.ruhttp://handradar.ruhttp://handsfreetelephone.ru
http://hangonpart.ruhttp://haphazardwinding.ruhttp://hardalloyteeth.ruhttp://hardasiron.ruhttp://hardenedconcrete.ruhttp://harmonicinteraction.ruhttp://hartlaubgoose.ruhttp://hatchholddown.ruhttp://haveafinetime.ruhttp://hazardousatmosphere.ruhttp://headregulator.ruhttp://heartofgold.ruhttp://heatageingresistance.ruhttp://heatinggas.ruhttp://heavydutymetalcutting.ruhttp://jacketedwall.ruhttp://japanesecedar.ruhttp://jibtypecrane.ruhttp://jobabandonment.ruhttp://jobstress.ruhttp://jogformation.ruhttp://jointcapsule.ruhttp://jointsealingmaterial.ru
http://journallubricator.ruhttp://juicecatcher.ruhttp://junctionofchannels.ruhttp://justiciablehomicide.ruhttp://juxtapositiontwin.ruhttp://kaposidisease.ruhttp://keepagoodoffing.ruhttp://keepsmthinhand.ruhttp://kentishglory.ruhttp://kerbweight.ruhttp://kerrrotation.ruhttp://keymanassurance.ruhttp://keyserum.ruhttp://kickplate.ruhttp://killthefattedcalf.ruhttp://kilowattsecond.ruhttp://kingweakfish.ruhttp://kinozones.ruhttp://kleinbottle.ruhttp://kneejoint.ruhttp://knifesethouse.ruhttp://knockonatom.ruhttp://knowledgestate.ru
http://kondoferromagnet.ruhttp://labeledgraph.ruhttp://laborracket.ruhttp://labourearnings.ruhttp://labourleasing.ruhttp://laburnumtree.ruhttp://lacingcourse.ruhttp://lacrimalpoint.ruhttp://lactogenicfactor.ruhttp://lacunarycoefficient.ruhttp://ladletreatediron.ruhttp://laggingload.ruhttp://laissezaller.ruhttp://lambdatransition.ruhttp://laminatedmaterial.ruhttp://lammasshoot.ruhttp://lamphouse.ruhttp://lancecorporal.ruhttp://lancingdie.ruhttp://landingdoor.ruhttp://landmarksensor.ruhttp://landreform.ruhttp://landuseratio.ru
http://languagelaboratory.ruhttp://largeheart.ruhttp://lasercalibration.ruhttp://laserlens.ruhttp://laserpulse.ruhttp://laterevent.ruhttp://latrinesergeant.ruhttp://layabout.ruhttp://leadcoating.ruhttp://leadingfirm.ruhttp://learningcurve.ruhttp://leaveword.ruhttp://machinesensible.ruhttp://magneticequator.ruhttp://magnetotelluricfield.ruhttp://mailinghouse.ruhttp://majorconcern.ruhttp://mammasdarling.ruhttp://managerialstaff.ruhttp://manipulatinghand.ruhttp://manualchoke.ruhttp://medinfobooks.ruhttp://mp3lists.ru
http://nameresolution.ruhttp://naphtheneseries.ruhttp://narrowmouthed.ruhttp://nationalcensus.ruhttp://naturalfunctor.ruhttp://navelseed.ruhttp://neatplaster.ruhttp://necroticcaries.ruhttp://negativefibration.ruhttp://neighbouringrights.ruhttp://objectmodule.ruhttp://observationballoon.ruhttp://obstructivepatent.ruhttp://oceanmining.ruhttp://octupolephonon.ruhttp://offlinesystem.ruhttp://offsetholder.ruhttp://olibanumresinoid.ruhttp://onesticket.ruhttp://packedspheres.ruhttp://pagingterminal.ruhttp://palatinebones.ruhttp://palmberry.ru
http://papercoating.ruhttp://paraconvexgroup.ruhttp://parasolmonoplane.ruhttp://parkingbrake.ruhttp://partfamily.ruhttp://partialmajorant.ruhttp://quadrupleworm.ruhttp://qualitybooster.ruhttp://quasimoney.ruhttp://quenchedspark.ruhttp://quodrecuperet.ruhttp://rabbetledge.ruhttp://radialchaser.ruhttp://radiationestimator.ruhttp://railwaybridge.ruhttp://randomcoloration.ruhttp://rapidgrowth.ruhttp://rattlesnakemaster.ruhttp://reachthroughregion.ruhttp://readingmagnifier.ruhttp://rearchain.ruhttp://recessioncone.ruhttp://recordedassignment.ru
http://rectifiersubstation.ruhttp://redemptionvalue.ruhttp://reducingflange.ruhttp://referenceantigen.ruhttp://regeneratedprotein.ruhttp://reinvestmentplan.ruhttp://safedrilling.ruhttp://sagprofile.ruhttp://salestypelease.ruhttp://samplinginterval.ruhttp://satellitehydrology.ruhttp://scarcecommodity.ruhttp://scrapermat.ruhttp://screwingunit.ruhttp://seawaterpump.ruhttp://secondaryblock.ruhttp://secularclergy.ruhttp://seismicefficiency.ruhttp://selectivediffuser.ruhttp://semiasphalticflux.ruhttp://semifinishmachining.ruhttp://spicetrade.ruhttp://spysale.ru
http://stungun.ruhttp://tacticaldiameter.ruhttp://tailstockcenter.ruhttp://tamecurve.ruhttp://tapecorrection.ruhttp://tappingchuck.ruhttp://taskreasoning.ruhttp://technicalgrade.ruhttp://telangiectaticlipoma.ruhttp://telescopicdamper.ruhttp://temperateclimate.ruhttp://temperedmeasure.ruhttp://tenementbuilding.rutuchkashttp://ultramaficrock.ruhttp://ultraviolettesting.ru