Taking pictures with text-boxes

Losfuin
Feral Cat

Taking pictures with text-boxes

Post by Losfuin »

So, I know how to take in-game screenshots with my text-boxes down, and I've no problems with that. What I can't work out is how to take screenshots showing text. Many is the time I've wanted to show a HQ spree, or save a conversation, but haven't been able to find out how. Can someone help? If it's in the game-manual then I must be blind -_-
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

FRAPS is the most reliable option.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Yep, it's what I use myself. Good program, not prone to too many problems and seems to run fine with FFXI. Just ehhh, movies make things run kinda slooooooow at times. Recording them, that is. ^^;
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

JediKitsune wrote:FRAPS is the most reliable option.
I've heard of FRAPS, but I'm not too sure what it is. Is it a third-party program? I'm not really too keen on using anything that would violate the ToS >.>
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

FRAPS is a third-party program. It doesn't change the way the game behaves at all, just does screenshots and allows you to record movies.

There isn't any way to take screenshots with the text boxes without using a third party program.
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

Just be careful you dont hit record and not know it and let it run for hours, Had low memory warning pop up with 10 megabites left, Had over 40 gigabites of Fraps video >.>
[img]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5814/mithrafishing2pc.jpg[/img]
Tangrax
Tomcat

Post by Tangrax »

Nekiu wrote:Just be careful you dont hit record and not know it and let it run for hours, Had low memory warning pop up with 10 megabites left, Had over 40 gigabites of Fraps video >.>
The problem with fraps is it just records uncompressed avi. so you need even more disk space afterwards to convert it to divx, say :?
Still, it takes good screenshots :P alternatively you can use that ffxi windower, although i dont know, is that breaking the ToS?
[img]http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/2261/13377ov.jpg[/img]
--------------------------------
50THF-24NIN-15MNK-13WAR-1WHM-1RDM-1BLM-10DRK-8DRG-1BST
AF1[X]AF2[ ]AF3[ ]AF4[ ]AF5[ ]
[color=green]Dunesn00b: "ok my provoke macro is done"[/color]
[color=red]<Everyone dies>[/color]
[color=green]Dunesn00b: "lol my macro didn't work"[/color]
[color=green]Leader: "I hate you."[/color]
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Tangrax wrote:alternatively you can use that ffxi windower, although i dont know, is that breaking the ToS?
People have been banned for using the Windower. It's very much against the ToS (though, IIRC, SE only really started clamping down on it when a plug-in became available that allowed people to mess about with the game, such as item duplication). I'm yet to hear of anyone banned for using FRAPS, though, and it seems like most people use it.

Thanks for your help people. I'm still not keen on using a third party program, but if something comes up that may make taking text screenshots neccessary - rather than a luxury - I may reconsider.
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

GM's Do allow Fraps and you dont need Windower or anything like that to use it. So it is pretty nice
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Losfuin wrote:
Tangrax wrote:alternatively you can use that ffxi windower, although i dont know, is that breaking the ToS?
People have been banned for using the Windower. It's very much against the ToS (though, IIRC, SE only really started clamping down on it when a plug-in became available that allowed people to mess about with the game, such as item duplication). I'm yet to hear of anyone banned for using FRAPS, though, and it seems like most people use it.

Thanks for your help people. I'm still not keen on using a third party program, but if something comes up that may make taking text screenshots neccessary - rather than a luxury - I may reconsider.
I take screen shots with text without FRAPS. It's kinda cumbersome but it works. Just hit the printscreen button on your keyboard to take a screen shot. Exit FFXI and open MSPaint. Hit 'edit' then 'paste' and your SS will appear. Save it as any file name you desire. :)
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

Sad part about that is you cant have more than one image copied at a time thoue =(
Sabre
Kitten

Post by Sabre »

You can also use Clipper which is FRAPs without the movie capturing feature.
Sabre
Homeland: Windurst Rank 10
Notable Jobs: 75 WHM, 75 BRD, 75 RDM, 61 PLD, 56 BST, 40 BLM, 38 WAR, 37 SMN
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

<3 clipper, though i havent needed to use it in awile. the FFXI windower has a built in printscreen function, just hit printscreen and it takes a SS and puts it in the Screenshot folder in the windower folder.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Losfuin wrote:I'm not really too keen on using anything that would violate the ToS >.>
That kinda rules out Losfuin using your method Nivez with the windower. ^^;
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Tangrax
Tomcat

Post by Tangrax »

Can the GMs actually prove you are using windower though?

Also if you printscreen you gotta log out and paste it in, so if you plan on taking more than 1 screenshot = :cry:
[img]http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/2261/13377ov.jpg[/img]
--------------------------------
50THF-24NIN-15MNK-13WAR-1WHM-1RDM-1BLM-10DRK-8DRG-1BST
AF1[X]AF2[ ]AF3[ ]AF4[ ]AF5[ ]
[color=green]Dunesn00b: "ok my provoke macro is done"[/color]
[color=red]<Everyone dies>[/color]
[color=green]Dunesn00b: "lol my macro didn't work"[/color]
[color=green]Leader: "I hate you."[/color]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Tangrax wrote:Can the GMs actually prove you are using windower though?

Also if you printscreen you gotta log out and paste it in, so if you plan on taking more than 1 screenshot = :cry:
There have been reports of GMs banning people for using it. Did they detect it through a program or was it found because the person blabed about it? Dunno. All I know is that people have been banned for it.

I think one of the reasons why GMs are cracking down on it, is because of the plugins it contains (like the TP meter).
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Tangrax wrote:Also if you printscreen you gotta log out and paste it in, so if you plan on taking more than 1 screenshot = :cry:
True, but thus far in my FFXI career, I've had two occassions where I wanted to take text-box pictures, and both would have only required a single screenshot. I try to stay away from DRAMA ^^

Thanks to Prrsha for providing a method that doesn't involve a 3rd party program :)
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Taking pictures with text-boxes

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо