Gwynn's looking for a job change

Gwynn
Big Cat

Gwynn's looking for a job change

Post by Gwynn »

After i farm up my current crop of ores (250k each :cheer: ) i will have almost 2 million gil. After i get RDM to level 60 (for the Pimp Hataru) I am going to retire as a RDM for the time being.

That being said I'm really looking forward to throwing myself into a new job. Money will be no object, since i'll be filthy stinking rich, but I'll have soo many choices.

So, seeing as we have mithra of all types on this board I'm looking for input for a new vocation. I just unlocked my last job last night, Summoner, so all the jobs are wide open for me.

When I make this change I will have,
RDM 60, BLM25, WHM 8,
Thief 46, Ninja 27, RNG 15, SAM 14,
War 12, PLD 8, MNK 6, DRK 6,
BRD 1, SUM 1, BST 1

This means I will throw myself completely into the new job, excepting events with my linkshell that will require a RDM60. It also means I don't want to swap off to level a subjob. I would like to do something that I can stick with for a long time and was leaning to the WAR/NIN option because I already have a leveled subjob for it. I was also seriously considering DRK/THF because I've never really been a decent damage dealer and DRKs have always struck me as UUber DDs.

Any suggestions?
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

WAR/NIN and DRK are two great routes to take.

As a DRK you can dish out great damage. The downside is that you could be standing LFP in Jeuno for a long time.

However, as a WAR/NIN, you will be more appealing to parties because you can tank AND deal damage. Pick up a pair of Viking Axes in the late 40s and get ready to hack stuff up.

I play WAR/NIN, and I love it. :D

Also, have you considered taking THF further? I also play THF/NIN and I enjoy that as well.
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Sivara wrote:Also, have you considered taking THF further? I also play THF/NIN and I enjoy that as well.
I'm really interested in thief and I love being thf/nin (see signature.)

The problem however is that I'm trying to break the impression My LS has that my TH2 is out for loan whenever they need it. The most recent example of which was when we had a few who wanted to become summoners. So help me god i've never hunted so many leeches in my life.

So, to make a clean break from "me" I'm gonna bring myself back to baseline and concentrate on a new job. I love thief's damage, and i'm a damn good puller (if i do say so myself) but i'm just a little tired of the same old same old.
AFb:
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

have you ever thought about a different route all together? instead of DD maybe a healer? lol i know some people don't fit well to the WHM job but it's always worth a try, and also you'll never be left LFP at least that's never the case on Alexander...BUT if you are looking for a fun DD job, dragoon can definately be fun, and if you do enjoy pulling, you can do it with the jump commands, one of the best ways to pull in my opinion because it's just as fast as voke but you don't get as much hate. Also you have the subjob already leveled pretty well for it ^^ THF is a great sub up to around level 50.
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN
check the members list for more details

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Artifact Armors in possession = 10
Artfact Armors that can be equipped = 10
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Drg/War till 30, then switch to Drg/Thf. Sneak Attack will give you a garunteed critical every 60 seconds. ^.^ It may not give you the thief's uber critical, but it's better then nothing.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

hehe i actually got away with DRG/WHM till 30 then switched over to DRG/THF though after around level 40 I found that I liked DRG/WAR more, especially approaching level 50 when i'll get double attack back :D It was pretty nice having understanding parties and I definately saved the tanks more than a few times when the WHM's ran out of MP, that cure II can really make a difference.
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

I definitely want to melee. I don't want to tank though (i have paladin, but it's just not appealing to me.) Also, Death is detrimential to leveling the new job with any kind of speed.
So, that leaves me with DRK, MNK, WAR, DRG, NIN, SAM, BST, RNG.
-Dragoon is appealing to me. I like my Jessie, she's so kewt, and I really should spend more time with her, but I've heard they're just not easy to level after you leave qufim.
-I've enjoyed being a Monk with Diashi on the Hades server, but I've got the mindset of "been there, done that" at this point.
-WAR is... well... WAR. I really should level it because at this point I can easily do war/nin or war/thf. It will also make any other melee job I eventually feel like leveling that much easier.
-I could easily be addicted to the damage i'd get as drk/thf.
-NIN is expensive right now, but I'll be rich enough to level woodworking to make shihei. Taking this the last 10 levels to level 37 may be very beificial in the long run.
-I've a friend who has made it to level 42 in Samurai, has very very nice gear and cannot get any parties.
-I can easily solo BST, but since i'm a Mithra, Charisma is going to eventually fall short.
-I've recently fallen in love with Ranger. I guess this is the real reason I'm considering a change. I'm doing more damage per hit in valkurm than I've ever done before and it goes to your head after a while. :)

so really the only ones i'm really considering are war, drk and drg. I think WAR will help the most in the long run, right now, but i think i'd have more fun as a DRK...

Decisions decisions decisions.
AFb:
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

I definitely want to melee. I don't want to tank though
If you don't want to tank, don't go WAR/NIN or WAR/MNK. During tank shortages, you'll be asked to tank. WAR/THF shouldn't expect tanking invites, just DD ones, especially if you set yourself up with obvious DD gear and a good search comment.

RNG is an awesome job, and with your woodworking skills you should be all set. You mentioned that you are a good puller. RNG is the ultimate puller.
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Sivara wrote:
I definitely want to melee. I don't want to tank though
If you don't want to tank, don't go WAR/NIN or WAR/MNK. During tank shortages, you'll be asked to tank. WAR/THF shouldn't expect tanking invites, just DD ones, especially if you set yourself up with obvious DD gear and a good search comment.
Well i'll say i don't MIND tanking, but i don't want to ONLY tank. Pld's ONLY tank and coming close to death constantly and having to teach WHMs how to do thier job gets boring. If I do eventually go WAR I'll probably mention in my search comments that I have both thief and nin subjobs.
Sivara wrote:RNG is an awesome job, and with your woodworking skills you should be all set. You mentioned that you are a good puller. RNG is the ultimate puller.
My Puller macro for ranger is "/ra <t> /party What do rangers do? /party THEY PULL! Ranged attack <t>!" I don't mind pulling, in fact i've had parties in the nest compliment me for pulling around obstacles and avoiding links and such. But again, i want more of a melee job instad of standing back and shooting/casting/healing/singing.
AFb:
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

please dont be a drk >< all there good at is stealing hate ( sry for whoever is a drk) take a drg awsome DD and no it is not hard to level once you leav quifim. to be a good drg and get invite spamige you need to be RICH. have the best gear. as a drg screw attack go for accuracy then dex then attack then str. i got my drg from lvl 1-46 in less than 3 weeks withought spending hours waiting for a pt. next sub jobs you have umm like 10 choices. drk not the best ( war is better sub) but decent. War awsome when you are sata partner and you get berserk. Thf only good once you hit 60 but sam is even better. Sam , penta thrust [ can i have it]. whm this is good if your poor, lol you wont be buying sniper rings youll need mp rings. blm this is only good if you are very skilled and at higher lvls. mnk is decent for the accuracy job ability. as for rng go for it mithra are awsome rng's plus they teh sexy in af ><
im pretty much amazing

68/9 Nin, 47 Drg, 36 War and more
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Re: Gwynn's looking for a job change

Post by Dukuji »

Gwynn wrote:After i farm up my current crop of ores (250k each :cheer: ) i will have almost 2 million gil.
Oh kitty, whatever you decide, I sure hope your crops come in. I've heard some good stories and some bad stories when it comes to elemental ore growing.

I like ninja, so . . . follow your heart
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

i was very bored friday night, and in bastok cause of the holidays. I was looking through my storage and noticed i still had my chaosbringer. So, being bored, i dusted off my war/drk and powered it up to become a Deathbringer.

I continued, friday night, to level DRK. The deathbringer sword makes a LOT of difference. So, i made level 11 last night in the dunes and plan on continuing it. The Big swords are really fun. :)
AFb:
Rinaah
Tomcat

Post by Rinaah »

I am a Drg and I love it.
I know a couple high lvl Drg friends on Hades and they told me the same thing.. It is a challenging job to level, but your patience will pay off. I want to get my purple armor.. :)
Right now I am lvl 36, almost 37. I am not having a problem now because it is becoming easier and easier to solo. I put up my flag and solo while waiting because it is a long wait for invites. Maybe people are impressed that I am soloing in Qufim every time I get an invite. Anyway, I digress, I have always wanted to be a Drg. I play Drg/thf or Drg/Whm.
54BLM 37DRG 39WHM 20THF 20WAR 12MNK
Rank 5 Sandy
Magic Burst record: 1071 dmg
You can't have real fun without a few explosions.
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

you know Rin, ever since i saw THIS picture, i'm tempted, VERY VERY tempted, to go 'goon... Maybe i'll give up on Monk for Diashi and become a 'Goon with her instead of gwynnie.
AFb:
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

Do it!! Come over to the side of the Dragoon!! I don't know how accurate that picture is though...the wyvern never actually gets any bigger... You will find as a Mithra DRG, on a good run, you can get a few crits in a row and steal hate. This is actually my favorite part of each battle because I love knowing I'm doing such a good job killing things that they can't help but turn in my direction. :D I have a feeling you'll enjoy dragoon. Unfortunately not everyone sees how good the 'goons really are.

On a side note, people have been telling me not to solo ochu's at level 45 but like a bold kitty I did it anyways. I've heard all the horror stories about the stupid things but as a DRG/WAR i was able to solo them fairly easily. (they checked as EP) out of about 820 life i'd only get down to an average of 600 HP's before going to rest. Hope you join our rather lean ranks as one of the best DD jobs around.

If you have any questions about the job or what stats to focus on feel free to send me a PM
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

i think i'll give DRK to 15, then DRG to 15 and see which i like more. I think that my distinct lack of Warrior levels will begin to hurt after a bit, it's only 12.

With DRK i can sub THF for major damage, same with DRG, but only after level 30. If i actually level WAR, i can go war/nin until level 55 with a full subjob.

For the time being, i'll just wander from job to job a bit, see what happens.

"All those who wander are not lost. All that Glitters is not Gold."
AFb:
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

That picture has to be model hack. I've never seen the Wyvern change. In fact.. I think I've seen that model somewhere... in CoP I think.

I don't know about having problems as a DRG until post 50. I was with a static from 30ish to 50, so seeking wasn't a question for me. Nowdays, people are warming up to Dragoons, but there really aren't many left... at least not in my range.

My picture didn't immediately inpsire you to be a Dragoon? I'm crushed. ;.;
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

yesterday, as i waited for my car to be repaired, (small hole in gas tank + melting ice = water in gas line = violent vibrations = BAD) I decided to use the WIFI in my dealership to pass the time. So, onto FFXI I go, my LS is only on after 6P.M. eastern, so i'm basically alone. Tired, Pissy & Bored, I decide to head out to the dunes to level Warrior with DRK subbed.

My experiences with Diashi taught me to arrive prepared for anything when you play as warrior. Too often Diashi found herself in the dunes in a DD mode with only a 1h axe as her companion when a G.Axe would have made a lot of difference. So, I bought a butterfly axe, pulled my light axe off my mule, pulled my Obelilsk out of storage, and grabbed my bee spatha and headed out. I would have brought a G.Swd as well, but the only one i had was my Deathbringer.

I get invited to a party almost as soon as i zone into Konschant with a ninja and a paladin. /glee! Out comes the Polearm and I wail away. I would have used G.Axe, but i had no skill in it. A mithra Paladin in full AF gear wanders up and starts PLing us. /joy! i switch over to great axe and begin to level that.

To make a long story short (too late), I capped my skill for G.Axe and Axe from under level 10 each, and Four hours later, my car is fixed, and all of a sudden, i'm level 15, with four capped weapon skills!

Damage is fun, berserk is fun, varied weapons are fun, Warrior is FUN! I find myself filled with this desire to level it further and go war/nin at 20.

My Bismark LS is building for Promyvion runs soon, and since my existing jobs are all but useless inside the empty, i'm going to power it to level 30, buy full set of shade gear(+1 if i have the casssh), and get dual centurion's Swords with my CP. :drool:
AFb:
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Gwynn's looking for a job change

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting