Guacamole

A place to talk about... anything!
mozyr
Housecat

Guacamole

Post by mozyr »

I decided that since I was in a bad mood this morning, I was going to do what I always do when I get pissy: cook.

My dad lived in Mexico City for a year or so when he was my age many years ago. The family that he lived with grew their own food and whatnot, so he picked up on a lot of their cultural values regarding food, spices, etc. Eventually, he picked up on their family's recipe for making guacamole. It is the BEST guacamole ever.

Ingredients:

2-3 avocados, peeled without skins
1 bundle chopped green onions (scallions).
1-2 red and/or roma tomatoes
4 tablespoons lime juice and/or two limes, squeezed
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon powdered garlic (optional)

(Bear in mind that these ingredients are all estimates, since I use my own senses to judge when the taste is right. Three avocados serves about 4+ people.)

Peel the avocados and take out the pits, then put them in a large wooden bowl. Add the lime juice immediately thereafter (lime keeps the avocado from oxidizing and turning brown). Wash the tomatoes and the scallions and place them in the bowl as well. Chop these up until you h ave a pasty mixture, adding in the cayenne pepper, black pepper, and tabasco sauce. You should be chopping it constantly for about 10-15 minutes until it's at the right texture (should be sort of soupy, but have chopped avocado chunks in it).

When you taste it, it should taste slightly like lime. The lime is what makes the guacamole.

Serve with corn tortilla chips or with your favorite Mexican food.

This is a real recipe straight from Mexico, guys and gals, so you know it's genuine. It's been in my family for years (my dad refused to pass down the recipe to me until I turned 18. Go figure).

It is SO good.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://www.livejournal.com/community/bad_rpers_suck]Bad RPers Suck[/url]
Mozyr, San d'Orian Mithra (5-2), Siren Server[/blue]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Damn, I gotta save that for later use! Even here in San Antonio it can be hard to find good guacamole.
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

I <3 guacamole.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

My dad did contract work and flew otu to sites for a while. For about 6 months he worked in San Jose, Cali. He went out with a few co-workers to a japanese resturant. He thought it was guacamole....scooped a spoonful on, took a bite. 'Nuff said.

Gotta love that sneaky wasabi.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

:9
Golddess
LVL (-1) Baka Neko

Post by Golddess »

Mmm, wasabi
[color=blue][b]WHM-BRD75[/b][/color] | RDM62 | BLM38 | PLD30 | NIN25 | SMN22 | WAR20 | DRK18 | THF15 | SAM11 | DRG-RNG-COR10
Gold53.1+1 | Smith21.4 | Wood8.0 | Cook2.2 | Leather2.0
0/300 T.Whiteshell | 0/1400 Byne Bill | 0/6000 O.Bronzpiece | 0/10000 T.Whiteshell
Mithra have paws!
[img]http://www.mithrapride.org/boards/images/mithra_paws.jpg[/img]
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

No clue how to make wasabi. LOL but feel free to use this recipe. It takes about 20 minutes to prepare, but it's worth the wait.

(...and it'll increase your cooking skills by .3 points...)

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Golddess wrote:Mmm, wasabi
<3 Wasabi! :D
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

<3 wasabi, specialy with raw fish.

<3 garlic. Garlic is NEVER optional.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Mcpiggi
Tomcat

Post by Mcpiggi »

Wow! Thanks for the recipe Mozyr/Sarah. :) I'll have to try it out sometime, I can't wait!

edit - would it be okay to throw all the ingredients into a blender instead of chopping? or will that not come out as well? (haha i'm always trying to take the lazy way out.)

As for wasabi, I just buy either the canned wasabi powder and add water, or the tube of wasabi paste which is ready to eat after adding soy sauce. Or you could just eat the wasabi i guess. :shock:
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

Using a blender would probably work just as well.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Guacamole

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Guacamole

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо