Inter-generational help

A place to talk about... anything!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Inter-generational help

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

As you may know, I am probably the oldest person here IRL.

I have a small comunication prrroblem.

I hardly know any netspeak, and even manny common emoticons throw me forrr a total loss. 1337 lingo is totaly beyond me.

/deep heartfelt sigh

Any good sites to pick this stuff up?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Chimpchimp
Kitten

Post by Chimpchimp »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A787917

Trying to be humorous, but it gives out the basic's of l337. For the most part though even a good imagination and the clockwork mind of batman cant figure out what the crap they say nowadays.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/ffxichimpy/whenallelse.jpg.JPG[/img]

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?60263
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

|\/|17|-|R4 0\/\/|\|z j00!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Tivia = 26, I fail to understand l337 speek. Outside a few catch words gathered from lan parties..I fail to see any reason to attempt to understand or learn it either. Do yourself a favor and keep your standards higher, Do not stoop to communicate with the 13 y/o Aoler, Force them to step up to your level. :wink:
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Trust me, you don't want to know Net Speak. It'll make you look like an AOL user if you do use and that's the worst thing that can happen. Here on the boards we use plain English about 99.99% of the time. Jargon is usually limited to specific topics so there's no real need to worry. Also, you're not the oldest person here ^^
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

I have NO intention of speaking it, I want to be able to read it. The Emoticons are a bit more important, they are often used by people I like.
I will continue to display mine as /something, a fixed style by now, but I have NO concept of what <.< , >.< , and most of the T.T ones are for. Among others.

I know there are older players, who here can beat 4/22/44?

When I was a teen, TT = Tough Tittes, tough luck who cares kind of thing. That just didn't fit with today's usages.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Ok, you're teh oldest now. Older than my parents even!

<.< and >.> simply mean you are looking away.
T.T is a look of surprise.
-.- is a look of passiveness and sometimes exasperation.
o.o and o.0 are looks of surprise.
^^ is a look of happiness. It can also be shown as ^^b ^^v *^^* =^^=
:p means sticking your tongue out.
XD can be a laugh or look of extreme surprise.
x.X is a look of "That was so stupid I died." It's one I get often.
>:) is an evil smiley face.

There are more but that's all I see us really use.
Mcpiggi
Tomcat

Post by Mcpiggi »

I use T.T or T_T as crying.
>.< is squinting my eyes, like a homer simpson "DOH!" look
:lol:
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

; ; == crying
>.< == angry
^^ == happy/cute
^^; == nervous
*^^* = blushing

These are originally Japanese smiles, but used everywhere now... the :) ;) :P etc came from the early net days, so you get a mix of both now. ^^
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

I once went to a wedding where the groom was a computer nerd. The groom's cake had a message in 1337: "Ph3@r th3 gr00m's 1337 c0mput3r sk1llz!" I was the only guest who could understand what the cake said, and I had to serve as a translator for the other guests. :D
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

*feels a sudden urge to get married*
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Tivia wrote:Tivia = 26
heh your the same age as the game geezer that types this message....

erm... not that 26 is old.... and im definatly not past my video game prime yet...

Um hold that thought whilst i try to dig myself out of this one...
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Zodhi
Kitten

Post by Zodhi »

I think that's way awesome, Tsybil. I am all for the demystification of video games, for all generations!

My grandfather used to play video games, back when they were only just being introduced into homes. He was a wizard at Intellivision - part of my theory that love of video games is genetic and entrenched firmly in my DNA.
[size=84]we move like cagey tigers - we couldn't get closer than this.[/size]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Ah I used to go over to my friend's house to play her Intellivision. Those were some fun times. *sigh*
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kahvi wrote:
Tivia wrote:Tivia = 26
heh your the same age as the game geezer that types this message....

erm... not that 26 is old.... and im definatly not past my video game prime yet...

Um hold that thought whilst i try to dig myself out of this one...
:cry:
Golddess
LVL (-1) Baka Neko

Post by Golddess »

I feel like such a kitten now at my young age of 21, with all (or close to it) of my co-workers thinking I'm 16. ^^;
[color=blue][b]WHM-BRD75[/b][/color] | RDM62 | BLM38 | PLD30 | NIN25 | SMN22 | WAR20 | DRK18 | THF15 | SAM11 | DRG-RNG-COR10
Gold53.1+1 | Smith21.4 | Wood8.0 | Cook2.2 | Leather2.0
0/300 T.Whiteshell | 0/1400 Byne Bill | 0/6000 O.Bronzpiece | 0/10000 T.Whiteshell
Mithra have paws!
[img]http://www.mithrapride.org/boards/images/mithra_paws.jpg[/img]
Starian
Kitten

Post by Starian »

Hrm, I am 16. But everyone I've met online has thought I was older.

...I feel really young now <.<
Original picture from the one in my avatar [url=http://members.cox.net/starian1234/natu194.jpg]click here.[/url]
[url=http://members.cox.net/starian1234/Mememe.jpg]My Lineage II Character[/url]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?65466]My Kitty[/url]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I'll be 22 in December, but ask anyone who knows me what my age is and they'll say, "12."
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Kopopo wrote:I'll be 22 in December, but ask anyone who knows me what my age is and they'll say, "12."
It's the tarutaru in you. :wink:
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I still get carded wherever I go ;_;
Nimonie
Tomcat

LOL I know the feeling

Post by Nimonie »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just hit 25 O.o /cry but its all good so I cant complain to loudly lol any you single gameing gals need a good gameing guy let me know 8) :D LOL

probably not though :?:
77 Bard, 80 Blm, 80 Monk, 80 blu, 80 bst, 75 smn, 75 Pld, 73 Dnc, 75Rng, 40 Whm, 42 rdm, 37 war, 42 nin, 31 thf. Windurst Sandoria & Bastok rank 10. CoP Complete, aht urhgan Complete, Rise of Zilart Complete.
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Kopopo wrote:I still get carded wherever I go ;_;
I had the same problem, I look young for my age. It runs in the family I think.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Looking young enough to always get carded can be an advantage.

Had a friend who looked 16 untill she was 30 or so. When group of us would go out clubbing we would put her in the front of the line to pay the cover. Of course she would get carded. While she was engaged with much fumbling in her purse, all our underage friends would push through with correct change for the cover charge. :lol: Once they were safley past the door the willy ID would be quickly found. Worked EVERRRY time.

Oh wait, was I supposed to be older and therefore responsible or something? OK. you shouldn't read that or try it. That's about as responsible as I can get. :wink:

Thanks for the language lessons.

/em blows kisses all around

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Inter-generational help

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт