Where did your name come from?

A place to talk about... anything!
Rinaah
Tomcat

Post by Rinaah »

I just came up with the name Rinaah.. no real lineage as to a history or whatnot. I have written creatively ever since I wrote in highschool and names are always very hard. I always try to find a name that sounds good and is memorable. Even in my EQ days or any mmorpgs, I would delete a character just because I didn't like the name I made up.
You will never see me with a name like Ilikechicken or something like that.. :lol:
Lumina and Regalia are probably the names I use most in places... but not on MP. :)
54BLM 37DRG 39WHM 20THF 20WAR 12MNK
Rank 5 Sandy
Magic Burst record: 1071 dmg
You can't have real fun without a few explosions.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I can't stand people who use phrases for names... and adjectives!
Golddess
LVL (-1) Baka Neko

Post by Golddess »

I used Apple and Orange for the names of 2 characters I never played in beta >.>
[color=blue][b]WHM-BRD75[/b][/color] | RDM62 | BLM38 | PLD30 | NIN25 | SMN22 | WAR20 | DRK18 | THF15 | SAM11 | DRG-RNG-COR10
Gold53.1+1 | Smith21.4 | Wood8.0 | Cook2.2 | Leather2.0
0/300 T.Whiteshell | 0/1400 Byne Bill | 0/6000 O.Bronzpiece | 0/10000 T.Whiteshell
Mithra have paws!
[img]http://www.mithrapride.org/boards/images/mithra_paws.jpg[/img]
Finwich
Housecat

Post by Finwich »

Mine is cheesey- It's the nickname my husband calls me. He uses the one I call him as his handle, which is quite amusing.

My mule is simply so I could put silly Dave Chappelle quotes in my bazaar.
RDM/SMN/WAR/DRG/DNC/BLM/COR/DRK85
Bravura 6/14/10 WARcat +7
Tamarik
Tomcat

Post by Tamarik »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tam-Chan

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tamarik

:D

Also Tamarik
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
[img]http://www.lionking.org/~tamarik/sigs/ml-tamsig.gif[/img]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

Wow, great art, Tam! :D

And no one wants to guess at my name? Fine. It will stay a mystery. :lol:

Not that anyone cares...
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

You already said your name was something historical from teh Bible or something.
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

No, I didn't. >_<

Maybe you are thinking of Alethea, my RPGamer/IRC handle? Alethea means "truth" in Koine Greek (also found in the Bible).

Sivara is from something else. :D
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

Well Siv, I don't know what your name is exactly but I'll bet it's from Narnia. When you said it was from a fantasy author who was a friend of Tolkien I did a quick check online and found it was CS Lewis (which is something I didn't know. Do greats flock together or something?). Well Lewis = Narnia. The only female characters I can remember from that series of books I read (some time ago) were the White Witch, the Penisive girls, and the noble girl who escaped that southland kingdom with the boy who was actually a prince, and his talking horse friend, Bree. Why I can only remember the horse's name, I can give no answer to.

How close am I?
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

the noble girl who escaped that southland kingdom with the boy who was actually a prince, and his talking horse friend, Bree. Why I can only remember the horse's name, I can give no answer to.

How close am I?
You're pretty close. The "noble girl" is named Aravis. Take the reverse of that and you get my name. {Config}ulations!
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

The name Mozyr comes from the name of a small town in Byelorus located pretty close to Chernobyl. Most of my RP characters have names connected to Russian.

I have a Galka mule character on Siren named Tovarishch, which is Russian for "comrade."

So that's where my names came from.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://www.livejournal.com/community/bad_rpers_suck]Bad RPers Suck[/url]
Mozyr, San d'Orian Mithra (5-2), Siren Server[/blue]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Dukuji (pronounced: doo-koo-jee) is actually a surname. It is the name of one of the major houses (or clans) of a cat-like race called the Rasken that I developed over 15 years ago. It was the fact that this game had a cat like race that sold me. And, before I bought FFXI, I knew what the name of my character would be. The name does have a meaning and that is, Water Willing. Water being a reference to a deity associated with the liquid form of water.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
mejis
Kitten

Name

Post by mejis »

Hihi all! I'm new to this here.... be gentle with me. lol
I got my name from the Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. Mejis is the small town where Roland of Gilead's (aka The Gunslinger) lost love is from.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

THose books are too long, even for me.
Rekahkun
Big Cat

Re: Name

Post by Rekahkun »

mejis wrote:Hihi all! I'm new to this here.... be gentle with me. lol
I got my name from the Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. Mejis is the small town where Roland of Gilead's (aka The Gunslinger) lost love is from.
heh. i was looking at your name on other posts, wondering why it's so familiar. thanks for getting that off my mind :D (currently reading the last dark tower book :) )
Vilya
Kitten

Post by Vilya »

Vilya is the name of one of the rings in LOTR.
There are 19 other rings in LOTR, 3 of them made for Elves, Vilya is the mightiest of the 3, Elrond's ring, the ring of Air, known for its huge Sapphire.

I was going to call myself Larelm, which i made up by combining some elvish a while back, but i don't know why i changed my mind.
I am only one, but i am one. I cannot do everything, but i can do something. And i will not let what i cannot do interfere with what i can do.
Chanchan
Kitten

Post by Chanchan »

This is gonna sound really kinda just...unoriginal, but honestly, it came from just making the japanese suffix, -chan, into a double name...at the time, I thought it was a suffix meaning "Girl", but apparently it means "beloved"...eh, either way. I figured it'd be kinda cute.
18 WAR 11 THF

-Valkurm Dunes is the funnel of FFXI...and it scares me to have to go back :(
BowlyMania
Kitten

Post by BowlyMania »

Liohs wrote:but Elios is the name of the Pegasus from Salior Moon Super S

They're also frozen pizza makers.

I got BowlyMania from a varation of BowlaMania - a league I bowled in over the summer. I had been selected as a SysOp for the MSN Gaming zone, back in its good days, and I was at a total loss for a unique name, so I chose that. It evolved a few times, with variations on the spelling, etc.. but now it's pretty much BowlyMania.

My character - JustAnotherFace is kinda just.. well... yeah. I wanted something simple, and to the point ^_^ plus it's a variation on my gf's sn ^^;
--------
JustAnotherFace
Midgardsormr
Lenina
Kitten

Post by Lenina »

Hello all, I'm new to this board. :D

I'm a Samurai kitty from the Ragnarok server, and my name is 'Lenina'.

I used to be a hume, but after a time I found out humes were boring. So I wanted a Mithra, and I was looking in my FFXI BradyGames Guidebook that came with my game, and then I saw a screenshot of a Mithra named 'Lenina'.

So that's were my name came from. 8)
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

I've seen a Lenina on the Siren server. Every time I see her (she's also a mithra), I can't help but think of Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (aka Lenin). Heh.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://www.livejournal.com/community/bad_rpers_suck]Bad RPers Suck[/url]
Mozyr, San d'Orian Mithra (5-2), Siren Server[/blue]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Evehr
Kitten

Post by Evehr »

I'm Evehr because i made a lot of pics etc. with photoshop before and my slogan was "Sigs that last forevehr" (the evehr part was a writing error but i liked it and kept Evehr as my name.
Starian
Kitten

Post by Starian »

Whee first post.

My name "Starian" is a song by a korean band named Duke

I've been using this name since before I even know about that song though o.o

Hi, by the way :lol:
Vilya
Kitten

Post by Vilya »

I'm in the Siren world too what area are you in Lenina?
I am only one, but i am one. I cannot do everything, but i can do something. And i will not let what i cannot do interfere with what i can do.
Rueka
Tomcat

Post by Rueka »

Well, even before the pc release of the game I wanted to be a mithra. They just looked so cute and fuzzy :P Anyways, I had alot of time to think about a name before the game was offically released, and this was a good thing since names are my weak point. I actually just made it up one day. I don't even know how I put together that particular name.

I orriganally wanted to spell my name as Ruka, without the e since i thought it looked better but when I made my character that name was already taken. So I just changed it to Rueka and the name has stuck. Now i look at the spelling for Ruka and think, "that just looks ugly next to Rueka." :D
52 THF | 26 NIN | 42 DRG | 19 WAR | 28 WHM | 13 BLM | 15 BST | 12 SMN | 12 BRD | 19 RDM

52 THF/26 NIN:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?25302

42 DRG/21 WAR:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?70360
Wyvern- Qiqiru
Lenina
Kitten

Post by Lenina »

Vilya wrote:I'm in the Siren world too what area are you in Lenina?
As I said in my post, I'm from the Ragnarok server :wink: :)
[img]http://www.sirocco.be/files/lenina.jpg[/img]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?65364]Profile[/url]
MovingTarget
Kitten

short and easy

Post by MovingTarget »

I picked mine after a friend of mine and also since it is only 3 letters.
I am Cyr.
Vilya
Kitten

Post by Vilya »

Sorry, thought for sure some one said thay were from Siren...
Delionette
Kitten

About my name...

Post by Delionette »

My name is originally that of my Anarchy Online character (Solitus, Female, Adventurer). It took me forever to come up with, because when it comes to naming fictitious characters I have to have something that is as original as possible or I won't be happy with it (to me, the name is the most important aspect of my characters). But, I couldn't think of anything good, so I just started mashing the name randomizer and that didn't help either.

And then it just came to me out of the blue and in such a way that it was an epiphany-like experience :P . Delionette... I fell in love with it instantly and it has been my default female character name ever since.

When I started playing FFO, it was pretty much a no-brainer that I would use Delionette (aside from the fact that it is my default female name). It fit so perfectly with being a Mithra and all, having the word 'lion' in it and 'ette' which totally gives it a feminine feel in my opinion.

Characters I have named Delionette: AO (gave it up), DAoC (gave it up after less than an hour of playing), FFO (obviously), and I also changed Nel Zelpher's name (of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) to Delionette :P .

Sweet Lips and Bangled Emperors take their toll.

~D
Hades Server
Career Path: MNK > WAR/MNK > DRK/WAR
Carpentry: 3
Sigyn
Tomcat

Hmm...

Post by Sigyn »

Well, hmm...

Mine is my first name... also the name of Loki's wife in Norse Mythology.

and it's pronounced SIG (hard G) - in

Sigyn
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/sigynh/sigyn.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Sigyn.png[/img][/url]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Ah, so I was right about the pronunciation.