Learning your lesson...

A place to talk about... anything!
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Learning your lesson...

Post by Eviticus »

So I'm a thf, I have it up to what...25 now...which means my agil is very good, evasion is high, I have Flee, and Perfect Dodge. Translation, I can do alot of stupid crap and not die. ^.^ This, however, leads to me doing really stupid stuff.

So I used Thf/War recently to solo Valkurm. Kill links and such, killing gobs for 30-50 gil a pop isn't bad. So I see this fire elemental pop up. I figure, I've tried to solo an Earth Elemental before...that didn't work. So I check it first. Tough....I have full hp and my 2hr, I can do this.

The Fire elemental pops up right in the middle of 2 parties, so they don't notice when all of the sudden their mages start getting pegged. I rush in to save the day, SA it in the back. (It's hard to find the back of an elemental, I dare ya to try...) I know it connected, cause a SA attack looks different. Woot! .....22 damage? What, my hits are only doing 5-8 per hit? This is going to take a -long- time....*Thunk* Ouch, it hit me. And now it has Blaze Spikes up, whee....well, at least my evasion is so high that I'm keeping up with it in damage

All of the sudden I see a /say from one of the people in the parties. "Get that away from here!" I've never fought elementals before, so I look down and see his damage is out pacing mine, at an ever growing rate. Yeah, now is a good time to leave. Oh crap, timer for flee is at 3 minutes......joyness...got to do this the old fashioned way.

So as I'm hauling, I look down and see another /say by the previous guy. "That has Firaga!" Oh, well, it's a good thing that it hasn't started cas-

The Fire Elemental casts Firaga.

0.0 Oh merde...Let me tell you, that is -sparkly-! Also, I went down from 75% health to about 23 hp. Needless to say, I zoned it as fast as I could.

Lesson of the day, don't poke something which can cast spells you've never even seen before...
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Mmm.. Firaga. It's so pretty. Firaga II is also yummy. ;)
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

elementals are resistant to almost all physical attacks. that's why you were only hitting for like 8-9 per hit... Meanwhile the elemental's weakness element is gonna hammer it.

The real way to hunt elementals right is to be a RDM... armor to resist the en- powered melee and spellpower to fight back. I'm hunting lightning elementals in kon highlands recently. and i've seen thieves and warriors at my level get hozed by them. Meanwhile i'm rich with clusters.
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

really rdm or whm does well with elementals, i daresay rdm does better because of there abilites and higher armor, but whm also does decent, youl just be using alot of banish/banish2/banishga/banishga2/holy's if you want to kill it quickly, (and note, this works even on light elementals in qufim^^)
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

elementals are job dependent for sure. I use my monk to farm them personally. While I cant cast with it, I have the hps, eva and sheer brute force to pummel them down with relative ease, that and 100 fists simply owns.
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

I am lvl 35 whm and only recently have I even started to mess with elementals. Your lucky you didnt gets toasted by that fire elemental :P
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

As a RDM, I can easily solo DC Elementals, but I avoid Even ones. Silence, a dagger, the En spell they are weak to, the Bar spell they are, and for the Air elementals, Barsilence.

I have another Kitty, WAR 30, SAM 20, MNK 14, RNG 10. She can easily solo TW Elementals, but sometimes has to use her 2 hour on Easy ones. She usualy has to use it on DCs.

All Elementals use magic, but ONLY the magic of their Element. They are always harder than they check.

Perhaps now that I have Dispell, I can try even Elementals....
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Chimpchimp
Kitten

Post by Chimpchimp »

I too have learned a lesson. Being a thf you learn to pull real quick. You get a sixth sense for what's gonna agro you and when. It was my first time in Kazaam today. Join'd up with a PT and they asked me to pull. First time here, no map, and no idea what lurks out there. But in my confidence I say ok. Everything's going fine, pulling IT Mandy's avoiding Gobs. We're 3training Mandy's. Then i go out and the immidiate area is empty. So i pull up my pants and start runnin to side paths and what not. i pull a couple of succesfull pulls doin this. But one itme i'm out there i fall down a freakin hole. Wow that's not cool. /p >< i fell down a hole! how do i get out. "Deathwarp, where's you HP?" /p Port Jueno "It was nice PT'in with you. Thank you."

Well crap. Thats when i ran into 4gobs. Lesson learned, Always set HP and ask if there are any holes in the area ^^. The End.

Chimpy/Mikey
[img]http://www.geocities.com/ffxichimpy/whenallelse.jpg.JPG[/img]

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?60263
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

as a thief 44 i know what you're talking about. i love my boomerangs, i love going wiskers to the wall running across the soldier crawler cavern in the nest trying to dodge exorays and blazer beetles and yes, you do get a 6th sense of how to get around the aggro things w/o aggroing them.

Thieves serve only a few purposes, Treasure Hunter, trick attacking off the tank to keep hate on him, SA/TA damage, and pulling.

Pulling is the first thing you learn, cause you don't have SA TA or TH yet. And unless you're constantly partying with rangers, you'll learn quick.

Actually if a thief can party with a ranger, it's better for the ranger to use wide scan to tell the thief where to pull from.
AFb:
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

Ahh, elementals are fun. With my white mage, I can beat elementals as high as easy prey... hammer on them till I have lots of TP, Seraph Strike (light element damage), repeat. Regen, Haste, Silence, and a bar-spell if it's a mean one, like those Altepa fire elementals. Banish II and Holy if it's weak and I'm impatient.

With my black mage, I can fight elementals the fun way... just spam II-nukes, Aspir, and Drain until it dies... hopefully before I do. :)
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Blow teh fsking elementals up with spellz!!!!!!!
Evehr
Kitten

Post by Evehr »

when i see something new i always try killing it if it's decent or lower
Rekahkun
Big Cat

Post by Rekahkun »

Kopopo wrote:Blow teh fsking elementals up with spellz!!!!!!!
:D damn kopopo, you crack me up :D :lol:
Voidia
Kitten

Post by Voidia »

/em casts Hadoken on Fire Elemental.

If it works for BM it should work for me as well ^^

http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010320
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

Kopopo wrote:Blow teh fsking elementals up with spellz!!!!!!!
(/comfort) Kopopo
[img]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cdove/beachsig.jpg[/img]

Pyrexia : Mithran Fishercat : Federation of Windurst : Midgardsormr and Hades
---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Tarudoken anyone?
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Kopopo wrote:Tarudoken anyone?
no, that's just blunt damage...
Mithradoken!
is more powerful because 4 out of 5 ends become pointy in mid flight.
AFb:
maryadavies
Tomcat

Post by maryadavies »

Hehe. Well, lemme add a " 'doh!" story to this.

One day, I had to go to Bastok for something. Got a Tele-Dem from a friendly WHM, then got off the telepad. There was a trembeling of the ground.

WHAM, WHAM, WHAM! I'd got a ram on my butt! I did what I usually do when I get something on my butt I seriously think that I can't handle when I'm in the open; I ran like a scardey kitty, tryin' to get to the zone. Unfortunetly I went the wrong way and ran into a weapon. Tried to kill it(well, I was cornered! No where to run!)...it + the ram got me. A thief came up and killed the ram(just before I died, then he got the weapon), then got me a raise, sweetie :)

You can bet I'm not coming off the Dem telepad without sneak/invis again. Owch. I didn't know those things were there! But when I get high enough to kill'em..well...I'm getting some revenge :twisted:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/maryadavies/Mary.jpg[/img]
~~Also known as Elizara ([url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530]WHM/BLM, I'll help if ya ask![/url])

[url=http://maffcode.vze.com]My FF Code[/url]
Mod on [url=http://oneroomstudios.illuminata7.net/ffxi/boards/]Kopopo's Opo-pos[/url], a new FFXI board. Come on over!
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I haven't seen that guy since beta... where he killed me. I want vengeance!
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

That's the problems with the Windy people. ^.^ Ya don't know proper safety when in La Theine/Konschtat. The Rams kinda rare to just run accross, but they're easily avoided if you keep an eye out. You don't need Sneak/Invis, just stay on the platform till you've had a look around.

Side Note: God bless [Flee].
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Valkyr
Tomcat

Post by Valkyr »

pfft pansy elementals....
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Learning your lesson...

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Learning your lesson...

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting