Where did your name come from?

A place to talk about... anything!
Prrsha

Where did your name come from?

Post by Prrsha »

How did you come up with your name forrr your kitty and what made you choose that name?

As forrr me, the name "Prrsha" is a name of one of the leaders of the Mrrshans (a cat like race) in the strategy turn based space game "Master of Orion".
Last edited by Prrsha on Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golddess
LVL (-1) Baka Neko

Post by Golddess »

LONG story on mine.

It all started way back in the good ol' days of the SNES. Darklord owned a game called "Uniracers", an odd little racing game. There were several different unicycle colors, and you could name each one. I don't really know how Dark came up with his naming scheme, but he named some of them things like "RedFire" and "BlueFire" and "DarkFire". So I decided to copy him and choose the yellow unicycle. Well, "Yellowfire" wouldn't fit in the space provided, not to mention how ugly it sounds, so I went with "GoldFire".

...But you didn't ask about GoldFire, you asked about Golddess.

Many years later, Dark then introduced me to an RPG on the Dreamcast called "Phantasy Star Online". I created my character, a female Numan (or however that's spelled), but got stuck on a name. I didn't want to use GoldFire, it sounded too masculine. So I sat and thought for a while. I wanted to keep "Gold" in it somehow. I don't recall much of my thought proccesses from then, but somehow I got the idea to combine "Gold" and "Goddess" and came up with "Golddess"

As a side note, this doesn't really seem to belong in MP recruiting, so I'm gonna move it.
[color=blue][b]WHM-BRD75[/b][/color] | RDM62 | BLM38 | PLD30 | NIN25 | SMN22 | WAR20 | DRK18 | THF15 | SAM11 | DRG-RNG-COR10
Gold53.1+1 | Smith21.4 | Wood8.0 | Cook2.2 | Leather2.0
0/300 T.Whiteshell | 0/1400 Byne Bill | 0/6000 O.Bronzpiece | 0/10000 T.Whiteshell
Mithra have paws!
[img]http://www.mithrapride.org/boards/images/mithra_paws.jpg[/img]
Chimpchimp
Kitten

Post by Chimpchimp »

Mine's pretty simple. Chimpy's my nick name here at the station. So every game i play i tag chimp. So the kids know it's me that killed em and get all upset. It's fun to hear "Freakin Chimpy!" like a kabillion times in a row.

Chimpy/Mikey

CS - Chimpy
DoD - Chimpanader
Aim - XxChimpChimpxX
Warcaft - Chimptastic
Computer name - ChimpStation
etc..etc..etc.. ^.^;;
[img]http://www.geocities.com/ffxichimpy/whenallelse.jpg.JPG[/img]

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?60263
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

>.>

<.<

Um.. I've been using it for years...

I Like coffee...

Kahvi = Coffee in Finnish.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

wow I feel boring..

In all honesty I just simply made the name up a number of years back.

However I did find out that my name is also in a fantasy novel, name of some princess. I dont remember the name of the novel or the genre as i have never read it, just someone told me once.
Voidia
Kitten

Post by Voidia »

Well the name I usually use on forums and other games is DaVoid. But since that would not look right due to the way the naming system works for FFXI(Davoid looks too much like David) I decided to ditch the Da part. Instead I added the -ia at the end to try and make it sound more feminine.

Oh, and if you happen to see a Taru running around with the name Voidian on Phoenix give him a wave. That is my second char which doubles as a mule for my Mithra. :D
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Gwynn's the often possessed, tempted by evil magic, fun loving girl from sluggy freelance my favorite comic.

Diashi is from a typo i made over 11 years ago now. Trying to create a character on a MUD named after the king of battlemechs, the Daishi, I pulled a dyslexic moment and reversed the "AI." It has stuck ever since.
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Mielu
Kitten

Post by Mielu »

Mielu

Got this from a song from Record of Lodoss war, Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. It's in japanese. I have no idea what it means I've asked a few JP people that speak english and they dont know either.
If you have this song, you hear them say this 42 seconds in: "Meee AAA luuu!"
Mielu - San d'Orian Mithra Rank 5
57 WHM - 34 BLM - 20 SMN (Shiva only) - 35 DRG - 26 THF - 15 RDM - 15 BST - 7 RNG
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?22806
Cooking: 41 Clothcraft: 4
Current Project: WHM AF Body and Gloves, {Erase} {Can I have it?}, Blm to 40
Liohs
Tomcat

Post by Liohs »

well i usely go buy Elios but that wouldnt work for a Mithra lol so i just had FF make a random one and it spat out Liohs and it sounds close to Elios soo i used it lol :lol:

but Elios is the name of the Pegasus from Salior Moon Super S

Elios in greek myth is also the son of Pegasus and some other god for get who ^^

it is also the way Helios comes out it Japanese lol
"Death happens thats why there are White Mages..."

DRG65/WAR37/RDM34/SAM21/THF21/WHM20/BLU16/BLM14/COR10/MNK3
Rank 6
maryadavies
Tomcat

Post by maryadavies »

Mine is...kinda boring.

I got mine(Elizara) from the Talent Series by Anne McCaffrey. The original chara was a mindhealer, Elizara Reidinger. I've used 'Elizara' for a IRC nick for the longest time; at one time I wanted to be a nurse (tho that fell flat) When I got a chance to play beta and decided I wanted to go WHM, I thought it fit :)

And my board nick? That's my legal name all smooshed together, Mary A Davies (yes I'm a girrrl). Not very original at all. I used that for my first email (a hotmail addy) since it was easy for me to remember.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/maryadavies/Mary.jpg[/img]
~~Also known as Elizara ([url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530]WHM/BLM, I'll help if ya ask![/url])

[url=http://maffcode.vze.com]My FF Code[/url]
Mod on [url=http://oneroomstudios.illuminata7.net/ffxi/boards/]Kopopo's Opo-pos[/url], a new FFXI board. Come on over!
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Firemyst (orig. FireMyst) was the name I took as a dragon when I joined alt.fan.dragons a long time ago. It took about four days for the group to come up with the name.

I wanted to be Mysty, but it was taken. Being completely unimaginative, I fell back to Firemyst.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Klenath
Big Cat

Post by Klenath »

I made it up and it just sorta stuck.
Valkyr
Tomcat

Post by Valkyr »

i usually would use BahumutShadow on everthing but i know its spelled wrong and wouldnt fit right for a mithra....and at the time i was really into Max Payne so i was yeah man im gonna name myself after a crazy drug that makes u see blood trails and have real bad flashbacks
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

Pyrexia...

...back in the days when I played EQ I was a wizard, and when I started out I knew I'd be burninating everything. Wizard in EQ is THE nuking class, none of this summoning elementals and such for me, I wanted to burninate. Taking this into mind I remembered an obscure Spanish word Pirexia which means fever, or something like that, I swapped the first 'i' with a 'y'. But I had to go with 'Pirexia' in EQ even though I liked how it looked with a 'y' better since my name was taken.

Needless to say when I started up FFXI, I went for the cooler looking spelling with the 'y'.

Yes, I made it up. And no it's not from MTG, I've never played it. I get asked that all the time, silly people wondering why I left out the 'h'. :lol:
[img]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cdove/beachsig.jpg[/img]

Pyrexia : Mithran Fishercat : Federation of Windurst : Midgardsormr and Hades
---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Klenath wrote:I made it up and it just sorta stuck.
awww. i originally thought you got it from the town in FalloutII called "Klamath."
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Mine is rather boring too. My real name is Ambrie (yes i'm a girl heh). I was always told that my parents made my name up by taking Amber Marie and putting them together. I like it cause I have yet to find anyone with the same name as my own, makes me feel kind of special, unique if you will.
As for the Ambrey, she is my second character, my first was the blonde haired hume female, and she was named Ambrie, I deleted her back on Alexander and started over after taking her to lvl 28. Now I have my Mithra Ambrey, I love it, kind of miss my old name tho hehe but its ok. :D

Ok, Im done with my boring story, hope none of you hung urself over being so bored lol :P
Rekahkun
Big Cat

Post by Rekahkun »

the first character i made during beta was a bastokian hume thief named Entreri, after Drizzt's nemesis in the forgotten realms books (i thought it would be cool, but i didn't like bastok too much and only got him to lvl 4).

next char in beta was a sandy elf red mage named Bannon. this was a name i just made up out of nowhere.... got her to lvl 8... said "blah" and was done with her.

now to the mithra (from which i've never looked back :D ):
i've always loved Flame of Recca (a fun manga/anime). the main female always called the main male Recca-kun. ever since seeing it, my emails have always been reccakun@wherever i am :) . well, as i was creating my mithra, i was screwing around with the random name generator to see what it would come up with. after almost giving up and naming her myself, Rekahkun pops up there. my jaw dropped :shock: . i knew this had to be my name. and then, 15 minutes into my time as a mithra, still lvl 1 standing near the ah, another kitty comes up to me and says "hey, want to join a linkshell?'. and that was how i got invited to mithrapride :D :D

when i got to retail, i shortened Rekahkun to Rekah. (and since i've found this spelling of rekah, i've prefered it over recca :) )
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

My friend: Hey got FFXI beta. You should come check it out. It's pretty cool.
Me: Oh yeah? Tell me about it.
My friend: Well you have three countrys who are competing w/ each other for control of the world and there's 5 races to choose from and it's based on the old FF job system so you can change your job whenever.
Me: Sweet. What are the races?
My friend: There's the Hume (human basically), your typical MM avarage race. Then the Galka who are the huge tank race. Elvaan who are the elves-
Me: Did human and elvan become registered at some point? Is Square afraid of copyright infringment or something? Hume? Elvaaaaaaaan?
My friend: haha I think this is undercompensation for total lack of originality in those two races and they're too proud to admit that they have something completely unoriginal.
Me: And now for something completely different.
My friend: Indeed. The other races are the Tarutaru-
Me: They're cute right?
My friend: Yeah, how'd you know?
Me: Only way to be more obvious would be if they were named the Puchupuchu.
My friend: hahaha! Ahhhh why you make me bleed!?
Me: heheheee!
My friend: The last race is Mithra. They're the fan service race, the catgirls.
Me: Fan service?
My friend: Yeah. For some reason, all the armor they wear seems to be missing parts that just aren't missing if equiped by any of the other races.
Me: hahaha then they're the most powerful of the races!
My friend: ?
Me: Remember the laws of anime? The less a girl wears, the more powerful she is, naturally.
My friend: Oh yeah! HAHAHA!

So after dropping my Elvaaaaan monk for a Mithra so I could land a hit, I had to come up with a name. I remembered this conversation and decided "Fan Service" would be an appropriate name. Running it though my head's fantasy filter it became Fayin Sihervis. Pronounced fay-YIN SEA-hair-vis.
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

I've been rather mysterious about the origin of my name (I'm not sure why).

Here's a hint: it's derived (up to you to figure out how) from the name of a rather rebellious female character from a fantasy book written by one of Tolkien's closest friends.

Anyone care to guess? :D
Ishe
Tomcat

Post by Ishe »

Well, I already had some basic knowledge of the races and how they spoke and acted before I got my beta copy of the game. I researched the jobs available and the abilities that accompanied them; I knew I wanted to be a mithra thief/ninja, so all that was left was to come up with a sneaky rogue-type name to match. I ran a bunch of Japanese words through my head and then I thought: "Ishe! That's perfect!"

Of course, it wasn't my own creation... ^^;

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file ... mana_k.txt
Follow the link and search for the word "Ishe".
Thief 60 / Ninja 71 / Warrior 35 / Summoner 20 / Whitemage 10 / Monk 6 / Ranger 4 / Blackmage 3
Alchemy: 51 ~ Boneworking: 48+1
:::
Rank 10
Paragon of Ninja Excellence.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Well, last year in High school, my band teacher called me Andrew Leviticus (last name)....just out of the blue....and I was like....eh? Leviticus? That's pretty cool...the Book of Laws in the Bible, kinda has a heavy solem power to it, not a bad nickname. So I used Leviticus in an rpg here and there, used it as a user name in Halo, but not really anywhere else.

So there I was, about to create my Mithra, and I couldn't think of a good name. So I just paged and paged through the names....and Eviticus popped up. I was like, what the hell? Must be fate. ^.^ So I stuck with it.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

My mules all have Old Testament names to them. :)
Amiricle
Big Cat

Post by Amiricle »

Hmm it was so long ago.......... :?
Anywho, some 15 or so years ago there was a dungeons * dragons campaign I had some interest in. It was set in Greyhawk and there was a circle of 8 archmages that governed the city. The youngest of which was named Emiricle the Chaotic. I liked that character for some reason. Well a couple years later I started playing a campaign with some friends and rolled up a cocky evoker-mage with dreams of god-hood somewhat modeled after Emiricle. I changed the E to an A for Amiricle as in A Miracle...... I thought it was funny as hell introducing myself out loud as that :lol: That campaign lasted a couple years & I got attached to & have fond memories of that character. A year or so later I got on the internet regularly for the first time. everywher places you need username and always my real name was never available, I just started using Amiricle, and most every game I chose as my name since I never encounter "sorry that name is not available" since. :D Although in every fantasy game & MMORPG I generally have played human. FFXI is the first time Amiricle was not born human :P

As for Isania, Isania was originally my mule in beta, but I fell in love with the mithra race such that Amiricle(hume) got virtually no play time then. Isania just popped into my head from nowhere at creation :)

When retail shipped I planned to roll-up Amiricle as hume, but that would have meant leaving MP, so last minute I decided to keep name (as I already told my freinds list that I changing it) but become Mithra instead of Hume. Good thing too, as MP is goin stronger than ever, while the other 2 LS's I started with disintegrated long long ago. :D
FFXI~ Cactuar: Isania // Midgardsormyr: Amiricle // Bismark: Amiricle & Kaust
FFXIV~ Sargotanas ~ Ami'a Mihgo
evilrikku
Kitten

Post by evilrikku »

Evilrikku: my name isnt all that hard ^_^. On Battle net I was Rikku for a while cause most my friends said I act just like her and almost look like her. (if ya want proof just IM me and I will send you a pic) And alot of my friends on Battle net said sometimes I can be really evil to them....in a joking way of course. So the name just stuck. If I could make a new character I would have named her Destiny, cause I always liked the name and my parents said they almost called me Destiny. But alas I can't because my little brother tore up my CD-Key
Hey I'm Rikku ^_^ if ya wanna chat or party or whatever I'm on leviathan so just give me a shout! 23whm working for summoner
Tyrfing
Kitten

Post by Tyrfing »

Mine came the last resort on a long list I made when Beta finished, as I supposed i couldnt name myself Dihtsih again :cry:

Tyrfing is the name of a cursed sword according to norse mythos, whose wielder must take a life every time it is unsheathed.

What could i say? I love mythology :)
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I was outta ideas for Tarutaru names. Berry suggested Kopopo. It was later that I found out it's also the name of an NPC.

As for my cute Mithra, Taurii, I just came up with that outta the blue.
Creve
Tomcat

Post by Creve »

My name comes from Creve Coeur which means "broken heart". I had been writing a novel by that name for some time before joining the FFXI beta and decided it would be nice to have an alternate yet nice name for "heart"....so it would be Creve....WRONG! :o Creve means "death" or "kill" "peirced" "broken" Coeur means "heart" or "beloved" But it was too late and the name stuck.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

hmm mine is rather bland actually, no fancy magic here. ive never been good with making up nams, i could write a vaugely intresting story but when it came to the names, i was always stumped... ive always believed there is something to be said in a name, and that is why ive never been able to decide on them. so when i made my kitty, i ran though the autonamer, and came up with a very intresting name "nives"... i stared it it for a sec, and the went "oh hell why not". i mean its a variation of one of my favorite anime characters (knives from trigun) so i went for it. well name was taken so i switched the 's' to a 'z', and that worked. so i ended up "Nivez"
(and never have looked back since)

now my mule is a little tarutaru named "jolt", yes named after the cola.
a few friends of mine decided to start up a tartaru party, each of us made a taru whose name was an energy drink, mine was jolt, each of us started with a different job, i was a little taru blm. then we went into sarubaruta in a 6 person party trying advanced party tactics at lvl 3, which was kind of funny to say the least^^. anyway after that we forgot about our taru static and concentrated on our mains, yet i kept jolt as a mule and for semental value.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I just kept pushing the random name button. Something quite close to Tsybil came up, I modifyed it to Tsybil and picked it.

I am a Role Player, and a spelling varation on Sibyl sugested a background that fit with a Mithra Red Mage, at least to me.

I shall not bore you all with that backgeound unless you insist.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Zuboko
Kitten

Zuboko!

Post by Zuboko »

My name (Zuboko) is a Hindu word... it is the word they used for a female cat of a now extinct breed of cats...
I am... Galka of Band-Aids!

erm...Mithra... (feels out of place in a Mithra body)