Monitor/HDMI Inquiries

Anything that doesn't specificly goes into one console goes here.
Multi-platform games, regular programs, operating systems, anything.
Saradiart
Kitten

Monitor/HDMI Inquiries

Post by Saradiart »

Alright. So my 19" monitor has a DVI-I and a VGA port.
My 4870 came with an HDMI to DVI converter so I can screw in the converter and use an HDMI instead of DVI. I've tested HDMI on my father's HDTV. It was able to carry an audio signal and a video signal and it worked rather well. But will this apply same to a LCD computer monitor? I seem to have a DVI port and if I can put the HDMI to DVI port into the back of my monitor and plug say a PS3 or XBOX 360, will I get an audio signal?

Considering PS3 HDMI cables can send an audio/video signal to the TV...

Not quite sure where to post this. Please don't spank me :<
// Final Fantasy XI / Midgardsormr Server / Saradiart / Bastok
RDM65, DRK38, WHM37, WAR24, NIN18, SAM19
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p92/vanatul/ShantottoSig.jpg[/img]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

If I understand your asking;

will the DVI port on your computer monitor also carry the audio signal from the HDMI cable into your monitor.

I think the short answer would quite simply be no.

The longer answer:
While HDMI is more then capable to transfer audio the DVI connector on your LCD screen is most likely not connected to it's speakers.
Aside from that, the converter is most likely built for output only, not input.
I think by trying that you are risking blowing up your DVI connector and in worst case even scrapping your lcd completely.

If you want to play console on your computer screen I know that at least the Xbox360 has a cable with a D-sub connector.
That is a much safer option.
I am not sure about the PS3 though.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Saradiart
Kitten

Post by Saradiart »

I hear there is also a VGA cable for the XBOX 360. How else do gamers hook up their xboxes to audio? I definitely don't even want to try blowing up my LCD.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Saradiart wrote:I hear there is also a VGA cable for the XBOX 360. How else do gamers hook up their xboxes to audio? I definitely don't even want to try blowing up my LCD.
Separate minijack plug or external speaker system.
Saradiart
Kitten

Post by Saradiart »

External Speaker System as in those huge dolby digital devices?
I've got a speaker system lying in my room... haven't done anything with it which reminds me.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Possible, however:

They also come with simple universally applicable stereo tulip plugs which you can easily convert to jack plugs using a simple converter.

In my humble opinion this is the safest way to connect your console to your monitor.
However I would personally advise you to use external speakers if you have them as the soundquality from speakers in LCD screens I am used to is crappy, to say it in the most modest way possible.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Monitor/HDMI Inquiries

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Monitor/HDMI Inquiries

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting