A question for the Mage's.

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

A question for the Mage's.

Post by Keavy »

So I was out fishing in Qufim Island getting Yellow Globes for Skillups and for leveling Alchemy when I saw a Thunder Elemental and I thought "I'm a Level 54WHM in an area with people in their 20's leveling for exp. I can take this fool."

After exhausting my MP and almost hitting Benediction I get my Thunder Cluster. Why? I COULDN'T HIT THE DAMN THING!!!

Seriously, I had a Fire Staff and I was standing two feet away and all I saw was "Miss."

So, where can I go and what can I beat up to level my skill?
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

What is your current staff skill?

And why didn't you have a hammer and shield?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tsybil wrote:What is your current staff skill?

And why didn't you have a hammer and shield?
86 I think.

I didn't have room for the Fire Staff in my Mog House so I brought it.

Should I get a shield and hammer? I still have my AF Hammer.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Post by Leane »

WHMS can do alot more ph\ysical damage with a hmmer than any other weapon they can use, and 84 skill is about what those vlv 20s have in their main weapon, I think. I would recomend using a hammer and shield whle farming as a WHM, also while farming elementals don't forgetr to cast the appropiate bar-element spell
Wanta
Kitten

Post by Wanta »

Elementals are extremely resistant to melee damage but they are very weak to their opposing magic element. That said, cast Stone on it for massive damage.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Agentblack casts Silence on the Thunder Elemental.
Agentblack casts Stoneskin on Agentblack.
/point at Thunder Elemental.
/laugh at Thunder Elemental.
Agentblack casts Stone III on the Thunder Elemental.
Thunder Elemental takes 389 damage.
Agentblack defeats the Thunder Elemental.

Come on Keavy, once you use silence and stoneskin you can take your time and slowly torture it, or nuke it to death. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

Of course, you want to keep in mind that elementals are virtually immune to spells of their element and the one they're strong to. Trying to silence a wind or ice elemental tends to be an exercise in futility.
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

<<< lvl 67 Red Mage. Silence hits EVERY time. Then again Who's teh Mater. :lol: (yeah enfeebling at lvl 234 may do that)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Err... RDM75 (capped Enfeebling magic) I get Resists from Too Weak elementals if it's the wrong spell.

Don't need to use Stone on a Thunder Elemental, Blizzard and Fire will work just as well.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I just use Dia II and spam Divine Magic until the elemental dies because as far as I am concerned Non-capped Divine > Capped at half-level Elemental Magic.
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

I always thought whm's in general just had a harder time with elementals than the other mage jobs. Last month on my rdm I attacked a wind elemental. When it started casting Tornado I tried to silence it...twice...and then remembered why that was a waste of mp. :oops:

Tier I ancient magic doesn't hurt too much though. :thumb:
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Guess I just got lucky then with silence. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Pheonixhawk wrote:Guess I just got lucky then with silence. :lol:
Silence on a wind elemental = Super Lucky
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Nobodyreal wrote: Trying to silence a wind or ice elemental tends to be an exercise in futility.
Ice? no. Wind is another story. I am L 72 RDM, I didn't have enfeebling capped again yet, but it had been capped at 71 when I took out a Wind Elemental in Tharongi canyon. They are ~ L 20 -22 there. It couldn't do any damage to me, even without Baraero, but I couldn't land Silence on it.
Big time.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

If you can reliably land silence on a wind elemental at any level, you are a god among RDMs.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Okay, since we solved that, I have another question: I just reached level 56 after another killer party (NIN/WAR, WAR/NIN, Monk/WAR, PUP/WAR, BLM/WHM, WHM/BLM <-- Me) so after I get Maat some Crest (He doesn't want a toothbrush? :? ) should I look for a party in the Aht Urghan areas or am I better off staying in Jeuno for a few more levels?

Please let me know. My LS's are too busy with internal drama to answer.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Personally, what I do is if I want to just sit on my hands and lfp, I plop down in Aht Urgan with my HP set there and lfp. You can always use the warp taru to get to Jeuno fast, it's harder to go the other way around. And if you do make the trip to jeuno just to find out the pt has disbanded or whatever, just warp back.

But generally I find it better off to lfp while doing something active, like profit synthing or soloing. ^.^
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

I think that about L 56 is when people start EXPing on Puks. Good EXPs, and cheap as you don't eat while fighting Puks. They stael food effects.

Do what Evictus said.

Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

Actually it's Colibri that steal food effects. They've also got an annoying TP steal attack.

Puks have AoE knockback and blink moves.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

There are two kinds of Colibri you should be aware of.

Lesser Colibri have TP Moves which can reset target's tp to 0, a semi-powerful multi hit attack, and a move which removes the target's food effect.

Actual Colibri, not the lesser ones, are of course a bit more powerful. Also, any spell cast on them which they survive, they automatically recast on the person who cast it. Like if the Pld flashes them, they flash the pld. If someone casts Diaga, it drops a Diaga on the whole pt, and so forth.

If Colibri weren't some of the easiest buggers to kill, no one would fight them cause they're such pricks.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Oh rrright, I meant Lesser Colibri. :oops:

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I thought they reflect magic on whoever they have hate towards.

I use food on colibri you just have to be very careful about hate management but I always am 'cause I'm not one of those /NIN pussies :P
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: A question for the Mage's.

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: A question for the Mage's.

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru