What is a man?

A place to talk about... anything!
Crysta
Kitten

Re: Hmm.

Post by Crysta »

[quote/] I don't believe that's true. If you keep going, he tells Rosencrantz that as fascinating as the affairs of men and women should be to him, it does not interest him. He preceded it with saying that as wonderous as the sky should be, "it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours."

If anything, he's conveying both his depression of the murder of his father, and his single-mindedness about exposing the new king, his step-father, as the murderer of his dad. Everything else is irrelevant to him, no matter how amazing it should be.[/quote]

....You may be right. I'll have to go back and look over it again. It still strikes me that Hamlet was a little cynical in general about the greatness of mankind. After all, he'd just gotten finished seeing some of the worst parts of human nature spring up in front of him, things that effected him quite deeply.

And Yugi, your poem, while seeming to me to be a little awkward in form, was actually quite good. n.n I encourage you to keep working on your poetry! :)

P.S. Henceforth, I will be using my new board handle, Amberele, for all reply posts. ^_^
"I'm going to become rich and famous by designing a machine that lets you stab people in the face over the internet." - Me
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Tsybil wrote:The problen is not that s/he doesn't work at all in poetry, it makes bad poetry even worse.
Oh, don't worry, I'm aware of that. I've written enough poetry in my time to have an idea of what works and doesn't ^_^ CLICKY (anything by Nurse) and CLICKY. It's more a general point - if you want to denote that you're not being gender-specific, then don't use gender-specific terms.
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

Makes me wonder if we shant have a home-brewed poetry thread soon.
Fear not: for no-one can obstruct
Our passage: it is decreed so on high.
Await me here. Comfort your weary soul
And feed it with high hopes till I return;
For I will not forsake you here in Hell.
- [i]The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri[/i]
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Chuk
Kitten

Post by Chuk »

From a mans persepective...................

We are the counter part to a balance of order. Being the second half of the procreation process, our role in life is established.

But being creatures of free will, its hard to truly define all with simple words. Facts are, the human language lacks the scope to properly define everyone at once with an equal persuasion. But then again thats why there are different kinds of MEN and WOMEN. A system of checks and balances that evens the playing field for a species of choice. Through our choosen personalities, we have caused a deeper insight as to what to call one another. In the end, we all are the same yet different. Its our choice that defines us as an individual than as a whole.

~Chuk

PS if this offends anyone, then tough. i wrote this by CHOICE and thats the truth.
colbwa
Tomcat

Post by colbwa »

Eviticus wrote:www.dictionary.com says:

An adult male human.
A human regardless of sex or age; a person.
A human or an adult male human belonging to a specific occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: a milkman; a congressman; a freeman.
The human race; mankind: man's quest for peace.
Zoology. A member of the genus Homo, family Hominidae, order Primates, class Mammalia, characterized by erect posture and an opposable thumb, especially a member of the only extant species, Homo sapiens, distinguished by a highly developed brain, the capacity for abstract reasoning, and the ability to communicate by means of organized speech and record information in a variety of symbolic systems.
A male human endowed with qualities, such as strength, considered characteristic of manhood.
Informal.
A husband.
A male lover or sweetheart.

You're a fucking jackass, Eviticus.
Colbwa:
70 Thief 37 Warrior 37 Ninja 37 Ranger
21 Bard 21 Red Mage

72 + 2 Clothcraft 60 Leathercraft
32 Goldsmithing 34 Alchemy 20 Smithing

Rank 8 Zilart Missions 1-13 Complete
Windurst Fame Level 5
Sandoria/Bastok/Jeuno Fame Level 9
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Yes, because quoting a dictionary is a horrible thing to do. Let us all phear my leet skillz at typing in www.dictionary.com A thread was organized to ask "What is a man?". Alot of people would be giving their opinion, I thought it'd be fair to give Webster's opinion as well.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Ban Colbwa already. :roll:
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Prrsha wrote:Ban Colbwa already. :roll:
:?: prrsha you know thats one of the few things we agree on... BAN COLBWA !
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Request noted.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

colbwa wrote:
Ran out of clever trolling ideas?
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

JediKitsune wrote:
colbwa wrote:
The general consessus seems to be Cow never had any to begin with.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Tsybil wrote:
JediKitsune wrote:
colbwa wrote:
The general consessus seems to be Cow never had any to begin with.
Bwahahahaha, kitty-pwned again! XD
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

lmao :lol:
angelstar107
Tomcat

Post by angelstar107 »

Not that anything I say has any meaning in anything, but I just decided to pop into this topic for a good heated debate. Though now I'm heavily confused as to why the discussion about hamlet insued.

To answer the topic in both a generalistic race and the gender questions, I will try to keep a minimum bias in my opinion.

First off, mankind, as a race, is an idiotic bunch of egotistic fools believing they are superior to all while remaining as retarded as ever while they spill the blood of their kin for foolish and often ill-thought ideals of idiotrity and stupidity. Yes, I have much resentment toward mankind. Reason is... Look at them. They rage war over something as pointless as a difference of Religion. HELLO PEOPLE! Look at your damn 'holy books'. You are all worshiping the same god who has a different name and tells you the EXACT SAME THING! Hm... Doesn't this strike anyone as strange...? Another thing... what's the deal with the massive racial inequality? Just because someone is different doesn't make them a lesser person. Stupid humans and their damn superiority complex... GET A FRICKEN LIFE HUMANITY!

Ok, now that my massive rant on humanity has become public, how about talking about men as a whole? Being that I am one IRL (and not by choice), I can tell you that being under the control of your horemones 24/7 gets very old. Most men think about two things: Sex and themselves. It's all about Men. only MEN are allowed into combat zones. only MEN are required to register with Social Services so that only MEN can be drafted. What happened to all the "Women's Rights" that we have been fighting for? Doesn't that mean anything? Not in America, it doesn't. Society has developed this lifestyle of "Men go to work, Women stay at home and raise the kids" nonsense that really ticks me off. It's not how it should be. Men, Men, Men, Men, Men. Society is all about MEN... Egotistical, Perverse, Lame men... GOD! I hate my reflection, and I hate society for wishing me to continue to this damn lineage of Perversion and Female Deprevation of Rights. It really makes me so mad! I hate myself for even BEING a guy, and if I had my way, I wouldn't.

Men and Mankind are all stupid... That's the very basic point I've been trying to make...
Mnk 75, Drg 75, Sam 75, Blu 74, War 50, Thf 41, Dnc 58, Nin 37, Whm 42, Rdm 46, Pup 41, Rng 63, Bst 19, Pld 4, Drk 26, Smn 3, Sch 7

[23:41] Starlight: Markov, why are bikini's getting smaller and smaller?
[23:41] MarkovBot: Because you are going to work.

Ninetails Pride! ^.~ Kittens are cool too...
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Angel, this is totally off the subject but ur avatar's eyes freak me out lol :lol:
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Ambrey wrote:Angel, this is totally off the subject but ur avatar's eyes freak me out lol :lol:
This is also totally off the subject, OMG jedi your avatar is AWSOME! :o

sh*t...page 4? :oops:
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

angelstar107 wrote:I hate my reflection, and I hate society for wishing me to continue to this damn lineage of Perversion and Female Deprevation of Rights. It really makes me so mad! I hate myself for even BEING a guy, and if I had my way, I wouldn't.
I can relate to this. But, self-hate certainly isn't the answer. If you get the chance, check out some of the works by writer bell hooks (no capitalization of the name). She's a feminist writer who argues - very persuasively - that, if women's rights are to be successful - that all people - all genders, race, sexualities etc. - need to join together in support of them. And, as such, self-hate based on your gender gets us nowhere.
It certainly is sad that society expects us men to follow a certain path, but just because you're expected to doesn't mean you should.
angelstar107
Tomcat

Post by angelstar107 »

Ambrey wrote:Angel, this is totally off the subject but ur avatar's eyes freak me out lol :lol:
*facefault* Ambrey-sama >< That's so...RANDOM! oo;
Mnk 75, Drg 75, Sam 75, Blu 74, War 50, Thf 41, Dnc 58, Nin 37, Whm 42, Rdm 46, Pup 41, Rng 63, Bst 19, Pld 4, Drk 26, Smn 3, Sch 7

[23:41] Starlight: Markov, why are bikini's getting smaller and smaller?
[23:41] MarkovBot: Because you are going to work.

Ninetails Pride! ^.~ Kittens are cool too...
Vendol
Kitten

Post by Vendol »

Crispleaf wrote:What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
in apprehension how like a god!

- Hamlet, Act 2 Scene 2
True dat!
But its hard to miss with Bard quotes. Like
"Idol of idot-worshippers"

I love William's insults!
"Clod of marl, Prince of plackets"
Last edited by Vendol on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for all the fish!
Sigyn
Tomcat

Post by Sigyn »

Losfuin wrote:
angelstar107 wrote:I hate my reflection, and I hate society for wishing me to continue to this damn lineage of Perversion and Female Deprevation of Rights. It really makes me so mad! I hate myself for even BEING a guy, and if I had my way, I wouldn't.
I can relate to this. But, self-hate certainly isn't the answer. If you get the chance, check out some of the works by writer bell hooks (no capitalization of the name).
Breaking my silence here...

I am pleasantly shocked that there is someone in the pride who is familiar with bell hooks. I would reccommend as a primer "Feminist Theory, Second Edition : From Margin to Center" to understand her theories. Of course, "Ain't I a Woman" is also superb.
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/sigynh/sigyn.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Sigyn.png[/img][/url]
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Sigyn posting! second sign of the apocalypse o_0..

/me hides in corner.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: What is a man?

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: What is a man?

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт