Thoughts on Blue Mage

A place to talk about... anything!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Thoughts on Blue Mage

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Mechanisims:

Learning Monster's abilites;

The learning of the abilites is obvoius. You fight monsters, They use their abilites, you have a chance of learing them. This is going to change how we level. The BLUs will want to fight monsters that we do not level on in order to learn their abilites.

Learn Monster Ability just could be the BLU 2 hour. This would be a bit sucky for a 2 hour though. Probably be a L 10ish Job ability. How could the defining feature of the job be put off till L 10? Think of NIN and Dual Wield. Think of hitting L 10 and the Dunes with Blind from Whirl Claws, Cure from Polen, Slow and Posion from Crawlers, Drain and Fluid Spread from the little slimes in the Zerun Mines, All the spells that low level Worms have, Flame breathing from Lizzys, Regen from Mandys, etc.

But not all monsters' abilites will be able to be learned. Some, such as Petrify, could unballance the game. I don't think the BLU will get Final Sting. Abilites of inteligent monsters I think will be out from the start. And I somehow dobut that standard magic spells, such as the Worm's Stone and Stonega will be learned either.

I am also going to guess that each monster will have just one learnable ability. See the above paragraph for a list of the whys on this. Kimahri from FF X had a limited list he could learn. Limited does NOT mean low powered.

Using the abilites, the mechanism;

MPs or TP? That is the question. Kimahri, a DRG/BLU to us, used TP. How did other FF BLUs use them? Is there a tradition that just might be folowed here?

Or perhaps a whole different mechanism might be used. Low HPs like Latent effect gear? Only after a monster uses his? Other ideas?

Using the abilites, the how to;

RDMs and BLMs have to learn the elemental weaknesses of monsters to be most effective against them But monster's abilites are not elemental, are they? Is Whirl Claws Earth? Is the Crawler Slow and the Spider Slow both the same element, if indeed they are elementaly linked at all?

Or will the most effective use of these abilites come off the Beastmaster Chart? Meaning that Firebreathing from Lizards is most effective against Vermin, and Metalic Body would last longer against birds.

Combinations;

Depends on mechanism. If MPs we are going to see a LOT of BLU/BLMs, BLU/WHMs, and BLU/SMNs. Assuming that the BLU is a melee mage there will be a lot of RDM/BLUs.

If it is TP based we will see a lot of BLU/SAMs as Isania said in another thread. We will also see a lot of DRG/BLUs if this is the case. BLU/RNG also springs right to mind. Think Acc boosts and Store TP as the most desireable traits to bring in in this event.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Talis Kitsue
Kitten

Post by Talis Kitsue »

heres a though what if the spells didnt us mp or tp for that matter, like ninja spells use ninja tools right , what if se makes the blue mage spells use sythn crystals? or something along those lines, though it would be hard to determin what mob attaks go with what crystal but its possible right? , as for learning the spells im sure itll have a an ability to learn the spell , that would have a 5 min reset timer? ..and the 2h only allows you to do a higher quality of damage or something like that.
As for learning the spells im sure SE wont include any one hit mob attacks unless they are saved for higher lvl, but seeing there are diff family types for mobs id say that the blue mage would learn 2 or 3 from each family type or so? though i sure as hell dont want to see a blue mage learn 1000 needles from a Sabotender or anything to big

though if all this is possible id think that the combo drg/blu would work out fine in this case but i doubt se would consider anything like this
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/TalisKitsue/tal.jpg[/img]
Talis : Bismark: 50 rng / 20 nin Rank 5
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?122046
Talis: Valefor: 40 rng / 20 nin Rank 4
Kitsue: Kujata: 18 thf/ - Rank 1
~~~~~~~~
ZM 1-1 | PM 3-5 | WM 5-2
~~~~~~~~
Why do mithras get all the fun?? Dont forget about us manthras XD!!!! orz~
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

but what if their on scrolls? :o
[img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/catgirls.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/riaa-kittens.jpg[/img]
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

It's fun to speculate, but I'm just gonna wait for the debut. ^.^
Fear not: for no-one can obstruct
Our passage: it is decreed so on high.
Await me here. Comfort your weary soul
And feed it with high hopes till I return;
For I will not forsake you here in Hell.
- [i]The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri[/i]
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I'm going to assume bmg is confirmed, until then here is a quote from the QnA after the presentation of the trailer
When asked about whether there will be multiple new jobs, the answer was that "there probably will be, but they could be combined", lending weight to the speculation that the new job shown may have Geomancer/Elementalist features as well.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
[img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/catgirls.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/riaa-kittens.jpg[/img]
angelstar107
Tomcat

Blue Mage

Post by angelstar107 »

Ok, I have to voice my opinion here.

Blue mage first appeared in the early FF games as a Mage (Used MP) that learned monster techs by having the ability used on them.

the Learning Ability, as it will exist, Will most likely not appear til level 10, since it was a level 1 skill in FFV and since it would allow Blue Mage to become kinda powerful at early levels. By holding off this ability til level 10, the Blue mage becomes a more Melee-based class, as they were in other FF games, but I have a theory about the way the skill will work...

It's quite possible they might reuse Lancet in FFXI as a method to learn spells. I won't know til I buy the expansion and unlock Blue Mage, but to basically say what I wanted to...

Blue Mages spells will almost certainly use MP, not TP.
Mnk 75, Drg 75, Sam 75, Blu 74, War 50, Thf 41, Dnc 58, Nin 37, Whm 42, Rdm 46, Pup 41, Rng 63, Bst 19, Pld 4, Drk 26, Smn 3, Sch 7

[23:41] Starlight: Markov, why are bikini's getting smaller and smaller?
[23:41] MarkovBot: Because you are going to work.

Ninetails Pride! ^.~ Kittens are cool too...
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

we'll we shall see.^^'
Prrsha

Re: Blue Mage

Post by Prrsha »

angelstar107 wrote:Ok, I have to voice my opinion here.

Blue mage first appeared in the early FF games as a Mage (Used MP) that learned monster techs by having the ability used on them.

the Learning Ability, as it will exist, Will most likely not appear til level 10, since it was a level 1 skill in FFV and since it would allow Blue Mage to become kinda powerful at early levels. By holding off this ability til level 10, the Blue mage becomes a more Melee-based class, as they were in other FF games, but I have a theory about the way the skill will work...

It's quite possible they might reuse Lancet in FFXI as a method to learn spells. I won't know til I buy the expansion and unlock Blue Mage, but to basically say what I wanted to...

Blue Mages spells will almost certainly use MP, not TP.
I bet you will not be able to learn an ability of a mob under your current level.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Thoughts on Blue Mage

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Thoughts on Blue Mage

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru