THF Tips?

Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Prrsha wrote:INT helps with lockpicking and stealing.

CHR helps with Treasure Hunter.

DEX helps with Sneak Attack.

AGI helps with Trick Attack.
Exactly! And I still support that Stealing is affected by what you and the mob is doing, although I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that its affected when you ARE engaged to the monster seeing as Stealing before then doesn't really seem to really....go to well... :oops:
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Neoshinobi wrote:

Exactly! And I still support that Stealing is affected by what you and the mob is doing, although I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that its affected when you ARE engaged to the monster seeing as Stealing before then doesn't really seem to really....go to well... :oops:
I have no idea if that is a factor, nor to my knowledge has data been compiled to prove or disprove it. To me it doesn't seem to matter what I or the mob is doing but then again, I haven't really kept track of success/failure rates by doing so. In other words, I have no idea. :wink:
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Prrsha wrote:
Neoshinobi wrote:

I have no idea if that is a factor, nor to my knowledge has data been compiled to prove or disprove it. To me it doesn't seem to matter what I or the mob is doing but then again, I haven't really kept track of success/failure rates by doing so. In other words, I have no idea. :wink:
I seem to have the most successes when the mob is occupied with something else, as I said, thing such as spell casting attack readying, attacking other members. I've also seen better successes when stealing immediately after the tank provokes.
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Neoshinobi wrote:
Prrsha wrote:
Neoshinobi wrote: Exactly! And I still support that Stealing is affected by what you and the mob is doing, although I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that its affected when you ARE engaged to the monster seeing as Stealing before then doesn't really seem to really....go to well... :oops:
I seem to have the most successes when the mob is occupied with something else, as I said, thing such as spell casting attack readying, attacking other members. I've also seen better successes when stealing immediately after the tank provokes.
If that's the case have you ever tried: Sleep =====> Steal ?
kittykitty
Kitten

Post by kittykitty »

I personally get better results when sleeping the mob first (I carry around some sleep bolts for that purpose)
Master Thief in training: level 57
Goldsmithing = 28 a beautiful work in progress
I can fly!
Mexel
Kitten

OK

Post by Mexel »

Point me somewhere official about what INT and CHR effects on a thf. There is too much speculation about what stats do. You can believe anything that you are told but until you have solid prooof its just a belief.

Neo I have never seen anything that says DE is effected by CHR. Its a TP based attack the more TP the better your attack. Being that Mithra THF CHR is in the 40s even at 70+ while DEX and AGI are in the 70s. I find it hard to believe an attack is tied to it.

Again this is not a blast to the posters, I have just been playing THF for over a year and have seen alot of posted theories on how things work and hidden effects and secrect abilities and SE has not released anything about or concerning the subject. Many people for a long time believed that treasure hunter only worked on regular drops and not rare/ex until SE said TH effects all drops.

And again no responses to the days of the week or moon phase.
[img]http://www.lpssonline.com/cc/workbook/pics/SIG.jpg[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

I posted a tabulation of numbers regarding WS and their linked attribute (CHR being some of them) on the boards. I also posted numbers regarding INT and steal awhile back. As for CHR affecting Treasure Hunter, I don't have any hard numbers for you but, those who have tested it with CHR gear, did report an increase in drops.

Why not try it out yourself and post the results?
Mexel
Kitten

Post by Mexel »

I will test out some things just remember at 70+ equipment options are many and very high priced. Wasting gill is not a skill I am proficent in :D.

I enjoy open discussion about these things. Currently I have emailed SE regarding stat bonuses and abilties I will post the reply if and when I get it.

My guess on the reply
"You should experiment with different combinations to see what suits yoiu best"
[img]http://www.lpssonline.com/cc/workbook/pics/SIG.jpg[/img]
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

Actually, I believe Nynjaa or one of thems from KI, did a test on the effectiveness of CHR on dancing edge. To put it simply, he parsed much higher when he was using tuna sushi (dex+5 chr+5 acc/racc +10), rather than squid sushi (dex+5 agi+5 acc/racc +10)
[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Prrsha wrote:I posted a tabulation of numbers regarding WS and their linked attribute (CHR being some of them) on the boards. I also posted numbers regarding INT and steal awhile back. As for CHR affecting Treasure Hunter, I don't have any hard numbers for you but, those who have tested it with CHR gear, did report an increase in drops.

Why not try it out yourself and post the results?
Can you point me in that direction?
Jaela
Tomcat

Post by Jaela »

As a thief i can assure the following:
AGI Affects Trick Attack
DEX Affects Sneak Attack
INT Affects Stealing
CHA Affects Dancing Edge

Steal has no more chance of succeding or failing from which direction you are stealing from relative to the mobs front and back, now Sleeping a mob and stealing is another story.

Im unsure of the fact that CHA affects any form of Treasure Hunter whatsoever, also, i myself believe that lockpicking successes/failures depend on which tool you are using rather than just the INT stat

Ive found that Thieves tools tend to Have an even Success/Mimic/Trap Ratio
Ive also found that Skeleton Keys have a Success/Trap relationship
I wouldnt recommend Living Keys, because they have a Success/Mimic Relationship
Back to FFXI, Hades! Level 55 Thief! Glee!
[img]http://img293.echo.cx/img293/3043/jaela3ez.jpg[/img]
Shanpu
Tomcat

Post by Shanpu »

ok.... DEX may also have an effect on steal wiith some mobs due to the fact that steal can miss like any other attack, this is why THF mobs and those with higher evasion are harder to steal from. INT and steal+ enhancements will increase your odds of getting the item when it lands. Not sure on the CHR thing, although another THF i spoke to said that they asked a GM about this and was told that the only TH enhancement is the one given by THF's knife. DEX also affects critical hits and sneak attack. I can definately confirm that the timing of your steal will affect the rate too (still subject to evasion). If u steal when the mob is casting or attacking or readying an attack it'll give u better odds, I also find that if u steal from behind or when the mob is low on HP it'll give a slight increase, but your main concern is actually being able to land it, your level, DEX and Accuracy will improve your ability to do this. I'm not sure on INT but the steal+ gear will help anything past this point.

The reason i feel it's necessary to mention the evasion thing is purely because of THF's Maat fight, people make out that it's easy but when u do it u'll find the evasion bonus that other THF have can become a pain. Hope this helps
THF75 NIN75 RNG75 BRD75 BST75 MNK75 BLU75
RDM75 SAM50 WAR75 WHM42 SMN37 COR23 BLM66

BastokRank 10
Sky: O
Moon: O
Sea: O
Alchemy: Artisan(74)
Cooking: 18
Goldsmithing: 28
Smithing: 22
Aony
Housecat

Post by Aony »

Something else my brother told me that I have found seems to work, but then it may all be in the mind...when you're fighting a monster, if you hit steal and go in to grab it while they're doing an action (i.e. attacking, readying a WS, casting a spell) I seem to have more success.

Edit: Yea, sorry I was tired when I posted this, didnt realize like 5 other people said it too.
Last edited by Aony on Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img100.echo.cx/img100/6779/sigaony7am.gif[/img][/url]

thf: 70 drg: 50 nin: 36 smn: 30 whm: 33 blm: 21 war: 25 drk: 13 sam: 10 brd: 9 mnk: 10 pld: 10 Blu: 8 cor: 11 pup: 5

All Thief AF obtained! :thumb:

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheresyourgod1sh.jpg
Shanpu
Tomcat

Post by Shanpu »

Yup, that's one of the things which helped me alot with maat fight. Really the ideal time if this ever happens even to steal; is when their back is turned, they are casting/attacking and they are low on HP. Again i think this is due to an effect it has on their evasion calculation, adds to the realism etc. Of course, even if u do this and land the steal it's stil lrandom odds whether u actually get the item, the steal+ gear will help when this happens, and if any of u want a little extra, a cheap way to go is to buy a rogue's ring (and thief kote if 70+) the latent effect on the ring is activated by you having low HP, and TP below 100%, low HP being <75% :)

BastokRank 10
Aony
Housecat

Post by Aony »

Jaela wrote:Ive found that Thieves tools tend to Have an even Success/Mimic/Trap Ratio
Ive also found that Skeleton Keys have a Success/Trap relationship
I wouldnt recommend Living Keys, because they have a Success/Mimic Relationship
Wait so you mean....If I use skeleton keys on a coffer while looking for my AF...I wont get any mimics??? SWEET! I'm definitely keeping that in mind, get skeleton keys for that. So is it a 50/50 or does it lean more towards one?
[url=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img100.echo.cx/img100/6779/sigaony7am.gif[/img][/url]

thf: 70 drg: 50 nin: 36 smn: 30 whm: 33 blm: 21 war: 25 drk: 13 sam: 10 brd: 9 mnk: 10 pld: 10 Blu: 8 cor: 11 pup: 5

All Thief AF obtained! :thumb:

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheresyourgod1sh.jpg
Shanpu
Tomcat

Post by Shanpu »

The balance of success:whatever on picking chests is based on your level. If u try to pick a coffer in den of rancor at level 40 needless to say your odds of mimic or trap are incredibly high, but it's never certain, i've seen 75 THFs pop mimics in boyada tree and oztroja before. However i'd have to agree with the differences in tools used there, although i tend to stick to THF tools or skeleton keys and seem to have no probs, i've only ever seen 1 mimic and i cant remember which i was using :lol:

BastokRank 10
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: THF Tips?

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting