What is your attitude towards SE's update process?

A place to talk about... anything!

I have no opinion on the matter.
4%
I don't mind the difficulties of updates. I needed some time off anyway.
19%
I really wish these updates wouldn't be such a pain but I'm willing to be patient for a few days.
26%
I find these updates very annoying and any wait over a day is unacceptable.
11%
These updates frustrate me and I wish they would get their act together. Most people should have the update within 12 hours.
11%
The way SE does their updates greatly angers and annoys me. They need to do their updates in a completely different fashion. They are fools to think that the system in place will ever work right.
11%
If I get one more mother <expletive deleted> error I'm going to <expletive deleted> shove my <expletive deleted> $13 <expletive deleted> so far up their … <expletive rambling deleted>
No votes
Kitty ... need’s her medicine ... must have ... FFXI ... can't sleep ... can't breathe ... must ... play ... don’t care how many time … must press … retry …
19%

Total votes: 27

Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Well, as we all know, SE issued an update congestion news release shortly after they completed the maintenance and three update congestion additions since then. A lot of people still can’t get logged in or even complete the update. So, I want to know the opinions of the people that visit often here. What is your attitude towards SE's update process?
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

I am the patient type so i don't mind a wait, as long as it doesn't take all night to update.
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Anything over a day seems ridiculous to me. :)
Kotomo
Tomcat

Post by Kotomo »

I expect this sort of thing to happen, it happens everywhere you go on the internet. When a couple hundred thousand people all try and access a certain server almost simultaneously it's going to get backed up.

I remember I got Half-Life 2 on release date and then Valve very recently sent out a report about how their servers had gone down from everyone trying to register their copy and update it. I got through but it was very slow.

I read Slashdot and when you try to go the website that is posted in a popular article you can barely get there. AKA they got Slashdoted! lol

So I really don't care because I understand there isn't much they can do about it without having to pay an arm and a leg for an even larger connection to their servers. I'll just go play some other game while I wait.
[img]http://kotomo.is-a-geek.org/pics/kotomo_signature2.jpg[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/jackrabbit62][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/2/jackrabbit62.png[/img][/url]
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Kitty ... need’s her medicine ...
must have ... FFXI ... can't sleep ...
can't breathe ... must ... play ...
don’t care how many time …
must press … retry …
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Kahvi wrote:Kitty ... need’s her medicine ...
must have ... FFXI ... can't sleep ...
can't breathe ... must ... play ...
don’t care how many time …
must press … retry …
/comfort
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

Well my downloading for the update was going good.....but:

I saw the time for downloading the files which was about 3-4hrs. I said "Ok, I can deal with that."

So I switched the TV to the dish and watched some TV for about an hr.

I switched it back to the game to see the progress and it was at 44% and the current file was 82.DAT. I go "Not bad on the progress."

I switched it back to the dish and watched another 30min show.

I check up on it after that show and it still said the current file was 82.DAT (0% for the first bar), the overall progress was still 44%, and the time was actually increasing from 3hrs (which was what it was last I checked).

I say "WTF?!?!? I'm gonna just cancel it and try again later or tomorrow night." *picture the average agitated look on a person's face*
"Mithras make every job look sexy"

Name:Narufugihara
Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Crafts: GS-3, FISH-12, COOK-7, CC-1, WW-3
Swimsuit: Top +1 [X] Bottom +1 [X]

Mules: Narunarusagawa (all my mules are gonna start with Naru >^_^<)

NPC Friend: Yoli Kohlpaka

Jobs I plan to take to AF lvl: WHM, DRG
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Well, as of the time I post this, they're up to congestion addition #5 and according to that, they're also under continuous DDoS attack. Hackers in other words (I think) but still, they said 16 hours to update the servers, they took 18. I would expect nothing more than a day off from a game we pay per month to play. Basically disallowing you access to something you pay for on a constant basis kinda rubs my fur the wrong way. >.>
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

it got DDoA, people :stare:
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

{Please use the Auto-Translate Function.}

In other words, care to elaborate? O.o
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

KITTY NEEDS HER MEDICINE~ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

OK, my best friend has a 9 - 5 and I am self employed. I have a machine at her place and one at mine. She has a PC, a laptop, and a PS2. I updated three machines while she was at work, will probably update her PS2 tomorow.

BIG FRRRIPPING PAIN RRRIGHT UNDER MY TAIL.

But I have a third machine too. At a place waaaay out in the wastelands of Eastern Washington. And it lives on a 56K dialup...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

for the type of game FFXI is, being cross platform, this is the only way to do updates, any other way would leave PS2 people out high and dry, and this is what SE does not want.
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Kailea wrote:for the type of game FFXI is, being cross platform, this is the only way to do updates, any other way would leave PS2 people out high and dry, and this is what SE does not want.
Gee, this IS the 21st century. Buck Rogers and that kind of thing. A century where I can rent a whole server farm by the hour.

Squnex has ONE (count them, one) download server. While that server may be a handfull of racks in a server farm, it is really only one machine.

Two words.

MIRROR SITES.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sigyn
Tomcat

Post by Sigyn »

or Bit Torrent

Bittorrent?
either one or two words.
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/sigynh/sigyn.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Sigyn.png[/img][/url]
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Re: ...

Post by Neoshinobi »

Sigyn wrote:or Bit Torrent

Bittorrent?
either one or two words.
Me and Bittorent do not get along. :(
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: What is your attitude towards SE's update process?

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: What is your attitude towards SE's update process?

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru