WARNING! DO NOT USE THE FFXI WINDOWER!

A place to talk about... anything!
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

>.>

Download file, save to floppy, get it printed at kinkos
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Josiejo
Mad Cat

Post by Josiejo »

Kintrra wrote:...And then we'll see if your prices hold true in West Virginia anyway, lol. Plus the cost of paper, ink cartridges, all that other assorted crap.
There are computers in West Virginia? :o :o :o

:rofl:
[img]http://www.johnnysubway.com/~josiejo/images/josiejoSig.png[/img]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Josiejo][b]Josiejo[/b][/url]
NPC Friend: Jajuju (Tarutaru Female Healer)

[b]Kitty Alts[/b]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Sasamii]Sasamii[/url]

[b]Elvaan[/b]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Ryadbraman]Ryadbraman[/url]
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

Josiejo wrote:
Kintrra wrote:...And then we'll see if your prices hold true in West Virginia anyway, lol. Plus the cost of paper, ink cartridges, all that other assorted crap.
There are computers in West Virginia? :o :o :o

:rofl:
They've got all three internets, too.
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Yes we have computers in West Virginia. Believe me, it was a shock to the rest of the world too. ;)

Now what's a Kinkos? O.o Cuz we ain't got one, lol.
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Tivia wrote:
Neoshinobi wrote:
Kintrra wrote: There are those of us who can't afford those Kopopo. ;)
What dumpster do you live in? Doesn't cost very much for one. :P
Have you see the cost of Ink for most printers? its insane. Aslo why am I going to contribute to the deterioriation of the ecology further by printing out tons of paper when I should be able to just switch between programs seamlessly? Do not get me wrong I am by no means an ecological activist, but I do not believe in creating waste for the sake of creating waste.
Sitting around, wasting time on a game using electricity is also a waste.
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Kintrra wrote:Yes we have computers in West Virginia. Believe me, it was a shock to the rest of the world too. ;)

Now what's a Kinkos? O.o Cuz we ain't got one, lol.
well then, just jump the boarder into pennsylvania... im almost certain theres a kinkos in Pittsburgh area you can use.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
angelstar107
Tomcat

Post by angelstar107 »

No to sound like I'm taking sides, but I think you got off kinda easy.

Yes, the windower proved convience for the player, however... prior to this, many announcements have been made about using third-party software and that you would be punished if you were caught using it.

That GM wasn't being an asshole. He was doing his job. If you didn't go out and get the windower, it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

All I can say, and not to sound mean, is that you got of very easy, considering how long they have been telling us that using third party software is against the rules.

Furthermore, on page 133 of the manual that comes with the game, it clearly states "To the maximum extent permitted by law, you may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software". The windower does just that. It modifies the program to run on a different basis, which means decompiling the command line which triggers the full screen and temperarily disables it.

*shrugs* You knew the rules, now you gotta pay for breaking them. All things considering, a 96 hour suspension is a pretty light sentence.
Mnk 75, Drg 75, Sam 75, Blu 74, War 50, Thf 41, Dnc 58, Nin 37, Whm 42, Rdm 46, Pup 41, Rng 63, Bst 19, Pld 4, Drk 26, Smn 3, Sch 7

[23:41] Starlight: Markov, why are bikini's getting smaller and smaller?
[23:41] MarkovBot: Because you are going to work.

Ninetails Pride! ^.~ Kittens are cool too...
Jaela
Tomcat

Post by Jaela »

Wow....Just think about the TP view in ballista...that would be a major cheat
Back to FFXI, Hades! Level 55 Thief! Glee!
[img]http://img293.echo.cx/img293/3043/jaela3ez.jpg[/img]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

so thats how that red mage knew when to hit me before my weaponskills hit him..... grrrrrr we lost to bastok becuase of that :x
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

so thats how that red mage knew when to hit me before my weaponskills hit him..... grrrrrr we lost to bastok becuase of that Mad
no that is not how the RDM did that, the TP plug in only lets you see you and your PTs/alliance TP and MP noone elses. The RDM was just good :p
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

really now...... becuase im telling you that RDM had me matched w/o even know it then :?:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Nekiu
Big Cat

Post by Nekiu »

I use windower as well but i modified it a little so that i can play in full screen and i deleted ALL the add ons so all it can be used for is i can press CTRL ALT DEL then access the bottom bar and the start menue in order to do things like AIM and google something. I only do that because one could feel the fact that PS2 players have an advantage by haveing a computer AND a ps2 unlike me :P
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

you delete the add ons? custom programming?
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

There's a setup .txt file in which you can comment out the part where it loads the plugins.
[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
colbwa
Tomcat

Post by colbwa »

kashell wrote:I will keep using a windower regardless. They can't really detect that you're using a a windower unless they scan you computer which is illegal, and honestly if they could detect you running 3rd party programs why haven't they banned all the provoke bots, fish bots?
Using a windower is cheating. This makes you no different that botters, gilbuyers/sellers, & MPKers in the sense that you all are cheaters.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

colbwa wrote:
kashell wrote:I will keep using a windower regardless. They can't really detect that you're using a a windower unless they scan you computer which is illegal, and honestly if they could detect you running 3rd party programs why haven't they banned all the provoke bots, fish bots?
Using a windower is cheating. This makes you no different that botters, gilbuyers/sellers, & MPKers in the sense that you all are cheaters.
Well, to be just be blunt.... that is one of the most stupid and ungrounded things I've ever heard comming out of a human being.

On what grounds would we be so bad if we use the windower for what I use it for.

I only have one PC from where I run FFXI, IRC, Internet and the rest of the stuff.

What's wrong with chatting with my friends over irc and reading forums and news pages while my mule is bazaaring in Jueno? :?:

So it's true the windower helps bots and campers cheat, I can't deny that,
but don't go put us who do not use it for the purpose of cheating but to still want to have the multitasking ability of the PC while running FFXI in the same corner with those people that do use it to cheat. :evil:
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
colbwa
Tomcat

Post by colbwa »

Well to be blunt, I was exactly right.

Using a windower is in fact cheating.

Gilbuying is cheating.

Gilselling is cheating.

Edit: My grounds are that it's proven in the TOS.

Check if you like ^^

Nothing is wrong with chatting on IRC while your Jeuno mule is bazaaring.....as long as you do it on another computer.
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

Hm. I print out or write down the things I want to access while I'm playing. It's limited, but, well, whatever.

For those complaining about printing, well, come on. Unless you're printing full-color pictures or books, you're not going to be killing your budget. Honestly, that's why one has a printer in the first place - to print things on paper. omg. Revelation. ^_^ (I kid!)

Also, about it being a waste - it's not a waste if you use it. You can read books on computers, too, but having them on paper isn't a waste. It's a resource - and in this case, a legal recourse. As long as you don't use a windower to harsh some legal gamer, I don't have a problem, personally, but don't complain if you get caught. It's like speeding.

Person: OMG, the cop wrote me a ticket for speeding!
Me: Well, you were breaking the law. ^.^;;;
Person: You speed, too, hypocrite!
Me: It's not like I whine when I get caught, though. x.X
Fear not: for no-one can obstruct
Our passage: it is decreed so on high.
Await me here. Comfort your weary soul
And feed it with high hopes till I return;
For I will not forsake you here in Hell.
- [i]The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri[/i]
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

no your right in a sense it is in the TOS but news flash colby no one is rich to affoard 2 pcs to do that, half the crap i even have at this house was either custom built or given as a gift, and since im a PS2 player i dont worry about PC, but gilselling isnt the same as a windower, that depends on teh player who uses it, personally, if I were on pc, I wouldnt be using the cheating attachments, i'd have them taken off, like I was show a few threads back and so forth, if an honest player uses a windower to not cheat, ZOMG ITS IN THE TOS THEY R CH3aters~

you cannot judge a book by its cover, and I strongly suggest you dont do that colby, at least not here.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Thanatos02 wrote:Hm. I print out or write down the things I want to access while I'm playing. It's limited, but, well, whatever.

For those complaining about printing, well, come on. Unless you're printing full-color pictures or books, you're not going to be killing your budget. Honestly, that's why one has a printer in the first place - to print things on paper. omg. Revelation. ^_^ (I kid!)

Also, about it being a waste - it's not a waste if you use it. You can read books on computers, too, but having them on paper isn't a waste. It's a resource - and in this case, a legal recourse.
Yes some things I do prefer on paper. I have a laser printer for that.
but the main thing I use it for is several chat programs like msn, irc, icq.
As long as you don't use a windower to harsh some legal gamer, I don't have a problem, personally, but don't complain if you get caught. It's like speeding.
Heh I won't, if they take met to Jail for it and confront me with it I won't deny it either.
I'll be breaking the rules they set up so I will take the penalty if they catch me.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
colbwa
Tomcat

Post by colbwa »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:no your right in a sense it is in the TOS but news flash colby no one is rich to affoard 2 pcs to do that, half the crap i even have at this house was either custom built or given as a gift, and since im a PS2 player i dont worry about PC, but gilselling isnt the same as a windower, that depends on teh player who uses it, personally, if I were on pc, I wouldnt be using the cheating attachments, i'd have them taken off, like I was show a few threads back and so forth, if an honest player uses a windower to not cheat, ZOMG ITS IN THE TOS THEY R CH3aters~

you cannot judge a book by its cover, and I strongly suggest you dont do that colby, at least not here.
I'm merely pointing out that using the windower is still cheating.

Edit: It's your account not mine ^^
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

Go dumpster diving and find an old PC/laptop that will run a webrowser/IM and problem solved.
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

:shock:
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

Shirai wrote: Yes some things I do prefer on paper. I have a laser printer for that.
but the main thing I use it for is several chat programs like msn, irc, icq.
I can't say, then, that we are at cross-purposes. =^.^=
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Baketsu wrote:Go dumpster diving and find an old PC/laptop that will run a webrowser/IM and problem solved.
Yes, because we all live near a place that throws laptops out all the time. I think not perhaps, yes?
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

Most electronics stores will dump electronics they wern't able to move. If they don't dump a whole laptop, they will at least dump perfectly good PC parts.

Dumpster diving is only technically illeagal.
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Shentino
Kitten

Post by Shentino »

Dumpster diving is theft. It remains property of the company that discarded it until such time as it is picked up, at which point it becomes the property of the garbage company.

As for the "cheat" clause, perhaps it should be defined what it means to "cheat".

A windower, PROVIDED IT DOES ONLY WINDOWING, isn't a cheat because it gives your character no effect. It's just a user interface enhancement. Of course, it's by permission we play FFXI, so Square has the authority to ban on a whim, regardless of what their rules say. Being in charge gives you a wide berth.
Dogma
Kitten

Post by Dogma »

Well guess Im a cheater, I <3 my windower :)
Ph3@r ma Slapaga IV n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Dogma wrote:Well guess Im a cheater, I <3 my windower :)
The new windower has plug ins that by definition are cheating plugins. If you have them installed you are cheating plain and simple. You rate up there with cheaters who use 3rd party aim bot/hack/cheat programs. If all of the people who used those programs to cheat were wiped off the internet I wouldn't shead a single tear. It would be a better place without them. People like that ruin multiplayer games.
Dogma
Kitten

Post by Dogma »

Prrsha wrote:
Dogma wrote:Well guess Im a cheater, I <3 my windower :)
The new windower has plug ins that by definition are cheating plugins. If you have them installed you are cheating plain and simple. You rate up there with cheaters who use 3rd party aim bot/hack/cheat programs. If all of the people who used those programs to cheat were wiped off the internet I wouldn't shead a single tear. It would be a better place without them. People like that ruin multiplayer games.
and your opinion affects me how?

:)

Seriously Prrsha, stop trying to demand every one in the world share your opinion. I like your post and style but you must relise not every one is a Prrsha. We all have different opinions on everything. You dont use a windower, ok, thats fine. Some do, ok, thats fine to. What is not fine is your Zelot ways Of demanding that every one agree with you. In your own way, with this issue your worse than a troll. Actually Id prefer a troll right now... get a lil entertainment goin while waiting for this update

You know what we call these kind of peeps?

Republicans ;)
Ph3@r ma Slapaga IV n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!