FFXI coming to xbox 360

A place to talk about... anything!
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Tirial wrote:I find that there may be a possibility of voice communication while playing. Would that rule? I mean, no more typing.... just say... I'm starting the skillchain. And bam! Everyone hears you load and clear. Much easier cooperation if ya ask me. Any word on this?
You can sort of do that ATM on the PC with a program like Teamspeak. The only drawback is that it uses up more bandwith though.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Tirial wrote:I find that there may be a possibility of voice communication while playing. Would that rule? I mean, no more typing.... just say... I'm starting the skillchain. And bam! Everyone hears you load and clear. Much easier cooperation if ya ask me. Any word on this?
/sigh

I am a Role Player. I know my friends as playful kitties, cute Taru, noble Elvaan, brave Galka, and those wonderfuly varabile Humes.

I will never visit FFXI players. I do not want to know the teen age nerds, bored houswifes, junior excutives, or college dropout to be you realy are.

Untill there is a program to change our voices to match our appearance, I feel that direct voice comunaction would shatter my illusions just as thoroughly.

As far as direct voice providing better comunications.... look at this thread again: viewtopic.php?t=2341
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Mithca
Kitten

Post by Mithca »

well I think, it also will not be that good because FFXII will be coming out before or a couple months after FFXI comes out for the Xbox 360.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Prrsha wrote:
You can sort of do that ATM on the PC with a program like Teamspeak. The only drawback is that it uses up more bandwith though.
Also Ventrilo and Roger Wilco, though RW is rarly used because frankly its a pos program.

As for the bandwidth impact, TS and Vent really have very little. a 56ker might notice it..hard to say..broadband will not. I have been using this for years.
Byubyu
Kitten

Post by Byubyu »

And Sony sort of cut their throat for them when they discontinued support for the HDD for the PS2. If those are indeed the new graphics for the xbox 360, the PS2 will not be able to handle them.
I just dont see SE making new graphics only for the XB360. And I am not a fangurl talking out of fear that my system may get left behind, as I am a PC player (not saying anyone here is either).

It would be rough on SE's servers to try to offer 2 totally different perspectives of the world. While all the models are part of the client (mostly), the background and architecture is sent from the servers.

I also dont see SE investing the money to change the graphics for everyone either. The cities are still very grand looking, and it would cost a ton of money to re-do major parts of the game.

So, by process of elimination, I believe these pics are hype. This is far too early for us to be getting full, intigrated screen-shots of the game. I believe that these could be cutscenes from a new expansion which may just happen to make it's way to the shelves in time for the XB360 version. Think about it: SE is bringing a nearly 4-year-old game out as a front-liner for a next generation system. They need to have something ready to make the game look fresh and new for the advertisements that will acompany it, and a new expansion would be just the thing. By the time that XB360 is coming out, it will be about that time again for a new expansion.

Can we say a pack-in for XB360, and a stand-alone for PC and PS2? I think so.
Byubyu
Kitten

Post by Byubyu »

I am not a fan of live-chat systems for games. I personally think that it blows the immersion of the game to hear everyone chatting talking about what movies they have seen lately lol.

TS and other live-chat systems are mostly used for games where chatting during heavy moments is not an option, and strategy must be perfect. When is this needed? During PvP, and really..only during PvP. I still could not see it being necasary in FFXI, even during HNM fights, since the mob is only using AI, and your strategy is going to be fairly straight-forward.

This is just my opinion lol.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

All graphics are client based, it is not feasable to send graphics from the server the bandwidth load would be immense. This is why you can adjust your graphics settings so freely, and it would be very easy for SE to allow a higher res version of the game. Ill use EQ as an example, you can use or at least when i played, could use the new character models..or the old depending on what your machine can handle. Its 100% client based, the only thing the server is concerned with is, your Id tag position. The server does not see your character as a whole, the only thing it sees you as is an ID tag moving about.
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Tivia wrote:All graphics are client based, it is not feasable to send graphics from the server the bandwidth load would be immense. This is why you can adjust your graphics settings so freely, and it would be very easy for SE to allow a higher res version of the game. Ill use EQ as an example, you can use or at least when i played, could use the new character models..or the old depending on what your machine can handle. Its 100% client based, the only thing the server is concerned with is, your Id tag position. The server does not see your character as a whole, the only thing it sees you as is an ID tag moving about.
Then why did square say eariler that they wouldn't update the PC's graphics due to the hardware limitations of the PS2?

I can't find the exact quote... Does someone have a link to it? I remember seeing it once. All I could I find was this:
Have hair dyes been looked at as a possibility to expand customization?

At this point in time expanding character customization is not on the schedule. As we are dealing with a multi-platform environment, in order to maintain a high level of graphic quality while displaying a large amount of characters at the same time, each texture color has been maximized and optimized as much as possible. This ensures that the color of each texture is displayed properly. Therefore, the system is not designed for easy and simple programmed color changes. The display of each individual character was emphasized to the point that color variation was given up as an option in the character creation process.

Furthermore, FFXI packet usage is already at the limits of most narrowband connections, which is another reason to avoid color changes.

For the above reasons, one alternative way the development team is working to enable users to display their individuality is by adding to the amount of multi-colored items users can equip.

This is not to say they are simply adding to the number of high-level items. Looking at the whole picture, even if the items in question have roughly the same abilities, be they items that boost magic attack or items that sacrifice Attack to boost Magic Accuracy, they will look different, and be useful even off the battlefield. In other words, the goal is to add to the number of items whose uses will differ depending on the situation.

Up until now, as an available option there are certain types of accessories
currently offered that are not reflected in character appearance. But, from here on out the effects these items will have on the appearance of armor and such will be increased.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Most companies tend to take the stance of uniformity. This is especially prevelant in japanese companies where they want everyone to experience the same thing as they intend it, or at least as close to it as possible. Hence why their stance on keeping the graphics the same for the ps2 and PC, they did not want the Ps2 users to feel short changed. Now wether or not the Xbox actually has better graphics or simply does a far better job with the Aliasing is up for debate. I have been looking at that screenshot fairly closely and comparing it to some of the ones I took with clipper. Now I have 8x AA on and My screenshots look pretty darn close to that, I honestly do not see alot of difference as far as poly count is concerned. So I am no longer 100% convinced its getting a graphics overhaul, as it might just be the power of the machine smoothing everything out.

Also on that note, in order for them to have two graphics standards, they would have had to redesign the graphics engine so the PC users could expand, since I believe FFXI was planned from the start for PS2 and possibly came out on ps2 in japan first, It would make perfect sense on why they created one graphics engine. This saves time and money to build within the limitations of the PS2 and the PC users simply have to live with that. So if in the event they Xbox and Ps3 do in fact have better graphics, then that means they rebuilt the engine and hopefully PC users will get to take advantage of it. Otherwise I think its just an effect of the AA and aF being run at its maximum.
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

That pic of Jeuno looks nothing like FFXI for the PC with all of settings at max. It's either some kind of promotion video or it's a new graphics engine.

Look at the reflections and transparency on the glass.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I actually had not paid much attention to the glass picture, I only looked at the avatar. Looking at that I would conclude its a promo video like they did with FFVII, however I see it as a perfectly reasonable speculation to think there might be a new graphics engine.

That is a tough call.
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

I'm not gonna say weather the Xbox360 is good or bad, but a friend of mine that has his ears and eyes in every form of game news found that the Xbox360 is being rushed out to come out at about the same time as the PS3 and Nintendo's system.

We all know what happens when something is rushed out to the market...there are gonna be bugs and lots of them.

I don't care how good the graphics are on a system, I'm not gonna buy it as soon as it comes out if it's been rushed. I'm gonna see how it works with everyone else who gets it and see if it'll work right.

I'm stuck playing FFXI on the PS2 because my net connection from my computer is crud and I need to severly upgrade it to really handle FFXI.

It would be fantastic for FFXI's graphics to be upgraded to near realistic for the environments and near movie quality detail for the characters plus voices *dreams of the day when you can type in /laugh for a Mithra and hear a beautiful voice actually laugh with full body and facial reactions to go with laughing* :love:
"Mithras make every job look sexy"

Name:Narufugihara
Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Crafts: GS-3, FISH-12, COOK-7, CC-1, WW-3
Swimsuit: Top +1 [X] Bottom +1 [X]

Mules: Narunarusagawa (all my mules are gonna start with Naru >^_^<)

NPC Friend: Yoli Kohlpaka

Jobs I plan to take to AF lvl: WHM, DRG
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Actually as stated by microsoft and Sony.

Xbox 360 is coming out this fall, PS3 is coming out Spring 2006.

Nintendo..they showed up with no working demo..just a mockup. Honestly at this point I would be suprised if they come out with anything at all. Which is a shame really, I would by the revolution just for the fact I can download all the good classic games, since their games for the past 5 years have sucked.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I stand corrected, It appears FFXI will be getting a facelift for the Xbox360. a Quote from the press relese leads me to believe this..
With the release of the Xbox 360 version, Square Enix will be expanding its cross-platform strategy, making FINAL FANTASY XI available to a much wider audience. Players will be able to choose their hardware and play on the same servers as existing gamers. The powerful next-generation capabilities of the Xbox 360 will provide a much more dynamic and visually impressive gateway to Vana'diel - the world of FINAL FANTASY XI.
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

Prrsha wrote:
Fayin wrote: :?: Jeuno? I clicked all the links in this thread and didn't see any with FFXI stuff in them. Could someone give me a direct link please?

I very seriously doubt they'll phase out the PS2. PC gaming has been behind console gaming in Japan since there were consoles and PCs. Most players did at one time (not sure of the current count) play on the PS2, not the computer. If SE dumped the PS2 players they'd be effectively slitting their own throat.
Jeuno...

And Sony sort of cut their throat for them when they discontinued support for the HDD for the PS2. If those are indeed the new graphics for the xbox 360, the PS2 will not be able to handle them.
There is no way that is Jeuno in any shape or form. Jeuno looks and feels very much like early industrial revolution London. Squat, heavy buildings made of brick or stone with small windows framing stone streets. The city in the concept picture is neo-mugal. It's buildings are topped by spired domes made up of a steel laticework and glass set on a packed earth street. This is not Jeuno and it's not FFXI. It's SE saying "Look how sweet our FF games are going to look on the 360! Buy an Xbox!".

Speculation: Could Sony's discontinuation of support and addition of the PSOne (which isn't compatable with the HDD) be one of the reasons why SE went with MS instead of Sony for the next gen of consoles? Wouldn't surprise me.
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

SE isn't going exclusive to any console from the best of my knowledge. I think their aim is actually to develop for all systems. I mean, that's certainly where the money would be if they pull it off.

I mean, if I made a game, I'd want EVERYONE to play it and not just a select group of console owners.
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Um.. Prrsha, I honestly don't think that is Jeuno. Not only does it not even resemble the Jeuno we all know, I can't find anything, anywhere that says that it's even FF. (Now the characters do look like the models from FFXI).

Plutoknight said it best:
"This has already been confirmed to be a mere Tech Demo, and nothing more. It's just showcasing the Xbox360's graphical capability."

Pretty sure it's just a tech demo as well. More discussion on it here. All of which look not much different the what we see on a PS or PC.

Now when MS did showcase FFXI on the 360 they did show these; all of which are currently in the game.

Now if somebody can find some information on what that is (if something else other then a Tech Demo during the week E3), I'd love to read it.

I hope that it's a new area in an upcoming expansion but SE hasn't said anything.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Ah maybe you arrre right...

On the other hand, there is an expansion for FFXI in the works:
Zigrah:

How many more chapters do you have planned for the current expansion Chains of Promethia?

FFXI Team:

While we can't give you an exact number, we can say that we are approaching the end. In the near future with the coming patches you will start to see that we are almost there.

Zigrah:

Does that mean plans will soon be in motion for a next expansion? I mean I know you can't give too many details.

FFXI Team:

We can tell you that the next expansion is in development, we can't tell you when it will be released but we'll say soon. We don't have a title and we can't give you any details but it is in development as we speak. Of course until then we will keep up with our patches.
http://ffxi.stratics.com/content/editor ... erview.php
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

JediKitsune wrote:SE isn't going exclusive to any console from the best of my knowledge. I think their aim is actually to develop for all systems. I mean, that's certainly where the money would be if they pull it off.

I mean, if I made a game, I'd want EVERYONE to play it and not just a select group of console owners.
I'm more of a PC gamer than console, but I can't bring to mind any games published by Square/SE for the Gamecube or the Xbox. I do hope they follow Namco's route and publish cross platform. If it turns out that FFXI is compatable with the PS3's hard drive then it'll end up on both the PS3 via backwards compatablity and the 360 via a port. Win-win regardless if you ask me ^^
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Fayin wrote:
JediKitsune wrote:SE isn't going exclusive to any console from the best of my knowledge. I think their aim is actually to develop for all systems. I mean, that's certainly where the money would be if they pull it off.

I'm more of a PC gamer than console, but I can't bring to mind any games published by Square/SE for the Gamecube or the Xbox. I do hope they follow Namco's route and publish cross platform. If it turns out that FFXI is compatable with the PS3's hard drive then it'll end up on both the PS3 via backwards compatablity and the 360 via a port. Win-win regardless if you ask me ^^
The only one I can think of for GC is FF Crystal Chronicles. They've developed stuff for GBA as well (FF: Dawn of Souls and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories)
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

I love the movie thats up for it. It's looks so great, but I do hafta wonder if it is indeed a tech demo. If it is real and I could in fact transfer my char info over it might be worth looking into.....*ahem* if it is real. :P
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Liohs
Tomcat

Post by Liohs »

firemyst said that square has no plans for FFXI on Xbox 360 and that that was a demo only
"Death happens thats why there are White Mages..."

DRG65/WAR37/RDM34/SAM21/THF21/WHM20/BLU16/BLM14/COR10/MNK3
Rank 6
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Liohs wrote:firemyst said that square has no plans for FFXI on Xbox 360 and that that was a demo only
Ummmm Square made a press release on their website. They do plan to make FFXI on the XBox 360.
sakono
Housecat

Post by sakono »

not only is it on SE's site but it was released to the press that its going on xbox 360 aswell other wise i would not have started this thread
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Prrsha wrote:
Liohs wrote:firemyst said that square has no plans for FFXI on Xbox 360 and that that was a demo only
Ummmm Square made a press release on their website. They do plan to make FFXI on the XBox 360.
That's not what I said. I said that the pictures of the concept video (like the one Prrsha posted) are NOT Final Fantasy XI, and it will not look like that.

However, Xbox 360 version of FFXI is simply higher res textures. They won't increase anything significant (like different character modifications), it's just a little more pretty than what we have now.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

Until you start hearing burly voices from the mithran and bird voices from the galka, then you get scared really quickly.
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Using voice might be fine if there's two people, but when there's 6, 12, 18 and everyone's talking at once on a scratchy, low quality line... It gets confused and annoying fast :|
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

agreed there, trust me ive done that on socom O.o not fun.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: FFXI coming to xbox 360

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru