Party time!

A place to talk about... anything!
Nekosama
Tomcat

Party time!

Post by Nekosama »

Hi ^_^

i would like to start my own pt sometimes, has anyone got any tips for me? i have been reading bits off the net but i dont want to be the leader who doesnt know anything ^_^

Thanks

:)
Ja Mata! ^_^

WHM 36
BLM 17
smn 12
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Sorry if some of this seems extremely simple, but I'm gonna start from the ground up and cover pretty much anything I think is important, just so I'm sure I've covered all the bases for ya.

In my experince, the basic party consists of this.

1 healer. -Generally- a White Mage, but can even be a red mage or 2 depending on the location, situation, and skill of this person.

1 Tank. Warriors and Paladins fit the role perfectly, so do Nin/War. Having one person who will provoke off them if things get scary is a good idea, but then again, depending on the area and general skill, this is or is not a requirement.

Now, you have 2-4 spaces left open. You probably need at -least- two of those as DD, damage dealers. What good is a party that can heal itself and keep itself running if you can't kill the monster? Dark Knights, Dragoon, Monk, a Warrior devoted to damage, Ranger, these and maybe a few more I'm forgetting will fit the bill. Also, you can get a black mage. Consider this black mage as you would an artillery battery. Powerful, yet slow. He will attract alot of attention from the monster the better he is at his job. His spells can find their way through the monster's natural defenses. So for monsters like crabs, it's almost downright imperative to have one.

If you have any spots left open, why not something like a Bard or Redmage? Normally, bards will sub White Mage. This grants them not only their normal Bard songs which can slowly but surely turn the tide of combat in your favor, but allow them to toss off a few spells that may aid the tanks in their darkest hour. ^.^

It's also a good idea to have at least one person in the party who knows the area with a range attack of some sort to pull the monsters. Rangers and thieves work well at this, but in all honesty, just about anything works. They could be a Samurai or whatever, and as long as they stay far away from the monster and run right back, there's not that large of a chance the will be hit. As a dragoon, I have (I don't like it, but I can do it.) pulled with my Jump ability and timed it just right, that I was out of the monster's attack range and on my way to the party by the time it wheeled around to face me.

Err, sorry if that was a little long, and if most of it was stuff you already knew. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them. ^.^
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Nekosama
Tomcat

Post by Nekosama »

Thank you ^_^ that really helps
Ja Mata! ^_^

WHM 36
BLM 17
smn 12
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Another way to look at it.

Healers, Tanks, Damage, Support.

One good WHM is all the healing a party needs, or one good RDM. But for shorter turarount time, two are best. The backup healer is often a RDM, PLD, BLM/WHM, BRD/WHM, or SMN/WHM. No WHMs or RDMs? Two or three of the backup types can fill the bill.

As Evictus said, the best tanks are PLD, WAR, and NIN. But anyone with /WAR is often called on to tank. I have partied with THF/WAR, SAM/WAR, MNK/WAR, and DRK/WAR as tanks. The dreadded RDM/WAR can be a surprisingly good tank as well. Those are best used as backup tanks, the emergency extra Provoke for when the monster breaks the tank's hate and heads for the mages.

Damage is kind of obvoius, I can't add much to what Eviticus has said. The best damage comes from BLMs and RNGs, but SMNs can do major damage. All the melee classes save PLD fit in here, and all do good damage. THF and MNK are often overlooked as DD types. Don't overlook them, lots of good damage from those as well.

Support jobs reduce the parties downtime. Support is BRD and RDM and sometimes the right NIN. All make it easier to kill the monster, BRD and RDM help the party recover faster. Support is highly desirable, just not necessary.

As you see, often someone is in two roles in a party. There is no best setup.

You will need a puller. Most any melee type can pull, or thinks he can, but a good puller will read the mages' MP bars and can bring a party 50% more EXPs/hour. A bad puller gets people killed. There is no way to know who can pull. RNGs have a good advantage with Widescan, but they might be better looking and telling the puller where the targets are. You never can tell.

So a party can look like this:
No main healer. PLD/WAR, tank and back up heal. SMN/WHM, damage and back up heal. BLM/WHM damage and heal. Three melee types for damage. Indeed such a party is kind of a blender. I have been in a three RDM three melee party more than once, another blender party.

Mostly, people with subjobs are selected before those without. Many leaders look for high rank, asuming it means the person has been around for a while and has learned something.

Have fun kitty.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

You can't go wrong with all mages. Since you're all smart (you're a mage, so obviously you're intelligent!) you know how to properly conduct a battle.
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

but what would you do if the mob has a mass silence ability? wait, WHM tank? {yes, please.} {can i have it?}
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN
check the members list for more details

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Artifact Armors in possession = 10
Artfact Armors that can be equipped = 10
Kessa
Housecat

Post by Kessa »

The best party I ever built was 2 Nin/War's, 2 Thf/Nin's, 1 Blm/Whm, and 1 Rdm/whm.

I went from 33-38 in 4 hours with this party in east and west altepa. I have never had a party that well oiled since.
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/The-Master-Thief.png[/img]
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

as the leader of a pretty decent static party, I'd like to say i'm very proud of what I've built so far...

WHM/BLM (me, changing sub to SMN once I level it a bit)
BLM/WHM
RDM/BLM
WAR/NIN

the others we generally pick up from random seekers but we have a good basic core of friends and we level fairly steadily. Part of the trick is knowing how much you and your static can help lower downtime (for instance, sometimes in the middle of chains if i'm low on MP, our BLM will cure in the beginning while I rest to near full so we can chain longer. So if you're planning on setting a party up (static or not) talk to your party and try to help direct them to help the party produce the best XP possible
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Anathema
Kitten

Post by Anathema »

I must post my completely bias opinion here :lol:

Post 30 - A good thief is a MUST for hate control, and if you want good exp/hr .. any job that can skillchain with said thief(RNG work the best IMO because Piercing Arrow just mounds the DMG)

example: we were in Quicksand Caves fighting Helm Beetles and Anticans at lv44-45 .. RNG would pull whatever it was, Tank would position behind mob, me behind tank .. RNG would then use Piercing Arrow, I would follow with SATA+VB(my VB dmg was ~600 ending the skillchain for ~250 Distortion) throw in a Blizzard II MB the mob was 2/3 of the way dead 4 seconds after the pull .. Down time {No, thanks}
Cats are like potatoe chips, you can't have just one. ,,,^..^,,,

THF50/NIN25
Windursian kitty, Rank 5
THF52/NIN25
Artifact:
Hands[O] Head [O] Legs [X] Body [X] Feet [X]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?69797]Anathema[/url], As of 20Jan05
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

sounds like a good working party, unfortunately as many find out, putting together said "perfect" party almost never happens post 30 simply because there aren't as many people at that range as there are with newbie level jobs though I would have to agree that THF's are extremely good to have around especially if you can't find any paladins because they can help tack that hate right where it needs to be.
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Nekosama
Tomcat

Post by Nekosama »

Thank you ^_^ i will keep it all in mind when i try later :P
Ja Mata! ^_^

WHM 36
BLM 17
smn 12
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

ok best pt set up is nin, rng, rng,rdm,blm,brd. WARNIG they must have the best equipment and must be at least rnk 5+. this pt set up is only good if they arent noobs. with this pt i got 3 lvls in like 3 hours at lvl 35+ so exp is somewhat high and getting 7k plus in 3 hours is pretty good
im pretty much amazing

68/9 Nin, 47 Drg, 36 War and more
Poge
Tomcat

Post by Poge »

Non-conventional party's can work really well too if you go in with a game plan. Here are a couple that I've done that netted some good exp.

2x nin/war, 2x blm/whm, rgn/nin, rdm/blm
Two ninja can provoke every 15 seconds and never take a hit which means no healing is needed (so long as you're fighting something that doesn't have a strong AoE attack, ie. crabs.) Blm's and the rng do a ton of damage and the rdm debuffs to save the ninja's shihei, emergency heals, and casts refresh at higher levels.

pld/war, brd/whm, 4x blm/whm
The Paladin locks down hate and heals himself as needed while the four mages nuke the mob to death. There's so much magic flying around that each blm only needs to cast once every 10 seconds or so and no individual will ever steal hate. An IT mob will die in a minute at most then the pally gets healed to full hp and you start over. The bard obviously keeps Ballad on everyone constantly.

pld/war, war/nin, rng/nin, brd/whm, 2x rdm/blm
This works best after level 55 because 75% of your damage comes from a Sidewinder > Rampage = Distortion skillchain. If the bard hits the mob with Ice Threnody and both rdm's can burst with Blizzard II the party should do 2000-2500 damage which coupled with the occasional Barrage should level anything quickly. Plus the melee will have Madrigal, Minuet, and Haste and the mages will be gaining 6mp/tick between Ballad, Ballad II, and Refresh. Zero downtime.
75 rdm
62 cor, 50 blm, 38 whm
37 pld, 37 rng, 37 nin, 37 brd, 37 smn, 37 drk
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

As you can see, putting together a good party isn't hard, because there are -so many- choices. If people live, get exp, and have fun...then you've done your job as a leader.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Maezen
Big Cat

Post by Maezen »

I'd say that's a pretty good look at it :D remember it's just a game, sometimes it can be frustrating to be leader, but othertimes it can be really rewarding
62 DRG/WAR (for parties)
62 DRG/WHM (for solo)
61 WHM/SMN

Bonecraft level 7
Cooking level 70
Alchemy level 9

Nekosama
Tomcat

Post by Nekosama »

Thanks for all your help ppl ^_^ i have made some good partys! It helps that im a whm so they always want to join he he ^_^
Ja Mata! ^_^

WHM 36
BLM 17
smn 12
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

White mages are the preferred healer until level 41.

After that, Red Mages steal the show since not only can they heal, but they have Refresh and Convert which reduces downtime. If the red mage subs white mage, they'll get many of the ailment cures like Poisona too.

Once you reach 56, though, white mages make a comeback thanks to the wonderful spell of Raise 2 plus the fact that parties have to go to faraway places to level where high level white mages wouldn't be bothered to go to give away free Raise 2s :P

But, between levels 41 and 56, red mages are your best ticket into a party, ironically, because most of them don't want to be stuck as the healer... so they'll do their best to get you in the party ;)

Another overlooked, but useful, type of healer is the Summoner. A summoner should sub white mage like a paladin should sub warrior. A summoner/white mage can only cast white magic at half her level, but the most important trait of a healer is mp... and summoners have a lot of mp. ;) Plus, avatar abilities can be quite useful.
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Sigyn
Tomcat

well...

Post by Sigyn »

my best party ever was...

RNG/NIN
RNG/NIN
RNG/NIN
RNG/NIN
RDM/WHM
PLD/WAR

We were doing eyes in King Ranperre's Tomb.
- and all the rangers were using guns.

The PLD was simply there to voke, and RDM was there to refresh
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/sigynh/sigyn.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Sigyn.png[/img][/url]
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Most insane party I've seen:

SMN/WHM X 6

All had Fenrir.

They beat up Aquarias in the Boyhada Tree like he wasn't even there :lol:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Lunaleska
Kitten

Post by Lunaleska »

Aquarias, my other LS's mnk/nin <<< he sub nin for solo NM soloed it. so 6 smn fight Aquarias doesn't surprise me.

There is really no stander of how to set up a good pt, sometimes you got all the jobs right, looks great on paper, but the player's skill suck, and the pt end up bad.

Usually, if I want to set up a pt, I would go for:

1 tank (pld, nin, or war), remember 1 thing, before lv 37, war/nin is usually better then nin/war, but after lv 37, I'd like nin/war better... even though I'd still pick pld tank over nin, but that is because I am a rng, and nin+thf still can't hold my hate. At higher level, war slowly become more of a DD, and less of a tank.. they can tank a little if they HAVE to, but you won't see war tanking(as main tank or only tank) at high level.

1 healer (smn whm rdm) or in some way, even blm can do it(most blm hates healing). after lv 41, I like rdm a lot, but rdm doesn't have protectra or shellra, and can't teleport to places. and after lv 56, I 100% would like to find a whm if I can. because of raise 2 and raise 3.

1 support character (brd or rdm) this all depends on you, rdm can help heal, escape and such, but brd can help melee atk up, acc up and such. Personally I like brd better, but if can't find a brd, rdm also great. Brd can support more thing then rdm, but rdm got a lot more MP then brd.

2 DD most melee job can do, and all depends on your pt. If your pt's main tank is a war or nin, I think you better want a thf... thf are great for pt keeping hate, and their damage is actually very good over time. At higher lv, you can't just randomly pick any 2 melee DD, like I said, if you have nin, you probably want a thf, also, higher lv, you want to do Skill Chain, so your pt's blm can MB. sometimes SC it self does a lot damage already. So sometimes you can't put 2 jobs together that can't Skill chain, such as drk and thf, those 2 jobs at high level, you usually won't see them together if the pt leader knows what he/she is doing. So remember, Skill Chain can get you experience chain to chain 4 to 6 if you know what Skill chain to use and MB.

Out of the 2 DD you get, you might want a puller. Tanks don't pull, mages don't pull.... so, who pull??? Usually rng or thf pull, so pick one, or both.

Last spot, I'd like blm, (if can't find a blm, another DD would be great too)
Blm past lv 50, if they know what they are doing, with decient equipment, they can do a lot of damage. sometimes MB with ancient magic, -ga II, -ga III magic, or III and IV magic can do a lot more damage then you thought. that is why you want to have 2 DD that can do good SC (skill chain) a good SC it self does good damage, and if SC does good damage, MB usually does more damage. And after lv 50, you'll spent a lot of time in Boyaxxx tree (can't spell) and Kuftal tunnel (can't spell this one either) killing crabs. so most of the time, you want to have a blm to nuke them, since melee doesn't do as much damage to crabs.
And the most important reason to have a blm is... Warp II (lv 40 blm spell) One time I forget my instent warp item, and let me tell you... it is no fun to walk from boyaxxxx tree back to jeuno.

Everybody makes their pt different, that is just some general pt guide line I follow, but there are some special partys that can do very very good. Such as pld rng blm blm blm blm pt (need rng to pull, pld tank), or 6 smn pt, or 6 bst pt, and so on. As you tryout with different jobs in your pt, your know.

p.s. sometimes really depends on player. I once pt with another rng when I am around lv 62, he was using lv 40 bow, and lv 14 arrows.... not only his damage suck, he miss a lot also. If he is the first rng I ever pt with, I'll think all rng suck. So sometimes try to party with different people also.
=^.^=
Now Playing: Sam
Rng75 Mnk75 Thf75 Sam71 Rdm66 Nin64 Blm50 War50 Whm42 Drk40 Smn31 Pld22 Brd18 Bst13 Drg22

Rank 10 Windy
Z14
CoP complete!
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Party time!

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru