The Worldshift

A place to talk about... anything!
Syine
Tomcat

The Worldshift

Post by Syine »

As some of you may have noticed, starting this morning, a new welcome message has appeared:
<<< Welcome to Midgardsormr! >>>

We are currently looking for players in this World who would like to move to another World. The window of availability is planned to last until Saturday, November 29th, 07:00 (PST). For more details, please see the Information section.

You have not submitted an application for world emigration.
This means that a "worldshifter" is open on our world now to take applications to move to a new server and relieve overcrowding. It is the only time an existing character is allowed to move between worlds without starting over. Those who apply with the worldshifter will likely be moved to a new server, as long as there are sufficient applicants. However, I strongly feel that we should not worldshift and am making that opinion known early as a precaution, despite the fact that I see no indication that anyone feels otherwise.

If the shift the Japanese players made to Fairy before retail came out here was any indication, the destination servers end up nearly as crowded as the old servers were, while the old servers get considerable overcrowding relief. Also, if we were to worldshift, I believe the linkshell would be turned to an unusued shell and pearls would need to be redistributed. And, as a note for those of you holding out hope that these are "NA-only servers", they're not. The worldshifting process is open to Japanese and North American players alike.

So, for these reasons, I hope everyone will stay put, decide to keep together, and look forward to some modest population decreases by December! :D
Creve
Tomcat

Post by Creve »

I have heard that when players use the worldshift they are not all sent to the same server but spread across quite a few. Anyone using the worldshifter might very well find themselves on a server without any of thier friends.
Syine
Tomcat

Post by Syine »

I originally included that as a reason against as well, but reading the information posting from Square, it appears that they intend, no matter how many servers they ultimately use, to place all shifters from a given old server on the same new server. That should make it less lonely for those who do shift. However, all my other arguments against us participating the shift still stand.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Wouldn't using that world shifter now be a slap in the face after all the work we put into getting everyone together on one server?
Jeniphel
Dirty Old Man Troll

Post by Jeniphel »

yeah, that it would - poor Syine.... (thanks for the work again!)

I wonder if this was brought about by the majority of the beta-testers and their friends jumping on this one server....
A flash from the past! ... though it's probably more like a drive-by mooning.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Considering the number of TOTAL players in beta, and of those how many went to retail, and how many are actually on Midgardsormr... Then think about the previous population of Japanese players. It can't be that bad really. I remember hearing that the servers could handle about 10K players at a time. I bet the lag would be horrid, but it could be possible.
Creve
Tomcat

Post by Creve »

MithraPride will be staying on Midgar as I hope other beta members will as well.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

The general feeling of Savanna's Superstars is "Let the damn n00bs leave. Beta powa!" Ok, that's just mine. But nobody has expressed much interest at all in moving.