Leveling past 50. How do you do it?

Althaia
Tomcat

Leveling past 50. How do you do it?

Post by Althaia »

It was the Rise of Zilart expansion that raised the level cap past 50, right? And it was a long time before CoP and ToAU came along.

So why is it that, after 58 or so (according to another topic I saw here), mostly everyone will be exping in ToAU areas?

I mean, there were level 75 characters running around LONG before CoP and ToAU came out... what the heck did people do before CoP? :P It doesn't seem very fair to people who want to level up past 50 now that they have to have CoP and/or ToAU...

I have CoP and ToAU, I've been with the game since NA release, but my highest lvl char is 42. I'm hoping to get 50 by the end of the summer, but it would be nice to see and go to the places people went to exp post-50, because that's an experience my peers (meaning, folks that have been here since NA release) have had and I missed it.

So I guess I really have two questions, lol... Where did people used to go to eXP post-50 and where do they eXP now?
~[url=http://adventuresalthaia.blogspot.com/]Alth Aaiaa: Bio and Music[/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Astragem14/CharGallery/MithraPrideSig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bismarckcommunity.com/]Member of the Bismarck Server Community[/url]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Leveling past 50. How do you do it?

Post by Shirai »

Althaia wrote:It was the Rise of Zilart expansion that raised the level cap past 50, right? And it was a long time before CoP and ToAU came along.
I believe that before RoZ came out the cap lay at level 60, AF was endgame equipment and the Shadow lord was the main boss to beat.
(Which with a party of lvl 60's was quite a challenge, nowadays we laugh at him because most level 75 jobs can solo him without any problem.)
At least that's what friends told me.
I don't know since I've started playing with the European release which was about a week before CoP came out.
So why is it that, after 58 or so (according to another topic I saw here), mostly everyone will be exping in ToAU areas?
The answer to that is quite simple, the monsters introduced at the Aht Uhrgan areas have a lower HP and are a lot easier to beat.
Because the mobs die faster you get faster exp chains and more exp/hour.
I mean, there were level 75 characters running around LONG before CoP and ToAU came out... what the heck did people do before CoP? :P It doesn't seem very fair to people who want to level up past 50 now that they have to have CoP and/or ToAU...

I have CoP and ToAU, I've been with the game since NA release, but my highest lvl char is 42. I'm hoping to get 50 by the end of the summer, but it would be nice to see and go to the places people went to exp post-50, because that's an experience my peers (meaning, folks that have been here since NA release) have had and I missed it.

So I guess I really have two questions, lol... Where did people used to go to eXP post-50 and where do they eXP now?
To give a quick overview on where people leveled between 50 and 75.
(And a lot probably still do.)

lvl 45-51:
Crawler's nest or Garliage Citadel basement were pretty popular places.
An alternative is Quicksand caves from Western Altepa desert.
Crawler's nest: Knight crawlers/Rumble crawlers/Beetles.
Garliage Citadel: Bats and Beetles.
Quicksand Caves: Beetles/Antica.

level 51-58/60 (Crabs, crabs, crabs and yes if you haven't noticed yet even more crabs.):
51/55: Kuftal Tunnel
53/57: Gustav Tunnel or The Boyahda Tree.
55/58: The Boyahda Tree or Cape terrigan.
These levels you are likely to see more crabs then you could bare, yes crabs is all you'll probably be fighting these levels.

58-63/64:
(Pre CoP)Valley of Sorrows (Raptors and the occasional Big bird if your party is skilled enough.)
The Labyrinth of Onzozo: Torama. (Most called this whm hell, these mobs spam silence and Paralyze on your tank. To be honest I liked this place.)
(Post CoP) Bibiki Bay: Birds and the occasional Goblin

64/70-71:
(Pre CoP) Den of Rancor: Lizzards
(Pre CoP) The Boyahda Tree: Steelshells (Yes.... more crabs D: )
(Post CoP) Bibiki Bay: Goblins, Catoblepas (Dhalmel)

71-73:
Ro'Maeve: Weapons and Golems
Bibiki Bay: Goblin, and more Dhalmel
Kuftal Tunnel: Tigers, Cockactrice and an occasional Wyvern.(Also caled whm hell, These mobs spam silence, Petrify and AoE Paralyze, Wyverns also like to use a move called dispelling wind which removes one buff on everyone in the area of effect.)

73-75:
The sky is the limit:
The Shrine of Ru'Avitau: Weapons and sometimes Golems.
But lots and lots of weapons.
(Post CoP) Uleguerand range became quite a popular exp spot.
King Ranperre's tomb was pretty popular for MNK parties.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Shirai wrote:The answer to that is quite simple, the monsters introduced at the Aht Uhrgan areas have a lower HP and are a lot easier to beat. Because the mobs die faster you get faster exp chains and more exp/hour.
Just adding to what Shirai said, the mobs there also have a fairly fast respawn time.
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sadira wrote:
Shirai wrote:The answer to that is quite simple, the monsters introduced at the Aht Uhrgan areas have a lower HP and are a lot easier to beat. Because the mobs die faster you get faster exp chains and more exp/hour.
Just adding to what Shirai said, the mobs there also have a fairly fast respawn time.
True that,
In Bhaflau Thickets there's a spot where 3 spiders spawn.
I always farm there, and by the time I kill the third spider the first one respawns.
Respawn times on Aht Uhrgan mobs is about 5 to 8 minutes.
In normal areas you have to wait between 10 and 15.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Not to mention that some of the ToAU mobs go down like punks pretty fast, and with the Astral Candy in Al Zhabi, there's a small exp bonus. Oh yeah, and Sanction goodies are fun too. Sanction Refresh may not be alot, but it's cheap as free so ya might as well slap it on to magic users. Sanction Food time extension for melee as well.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Actually, I believe the original level cap was at 50, since the AFs weren't released till RoZ. Any site you check will tell you you have to have RoZ installed in order to get the quests for AFs. Plus with jobs having their coffers in places like Ifrit's Cauldron and such, it makes sense.
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Yeah, fairly sure the level cap was 50 as well, seeing as to break it you need to do missions for the old man.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.

Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Yea, then again the only real trick to lvling past 40 or 50, is just to stick your head down, tail up and stick to the one job. alot of ppl get bored or angry at a job by lvl 40 or 50 (probably no thanks to bad GC and CN parties) and start a new one, hoping the grass is greener. I reckon you just gotta bite the bullet and get into it :D

Also, if your a Drg, Smn (especially if ur a Smn), Pup or a Bst, dont underestimate Duo's and Trios. 4 Smns vs IT+++ Snolls and Bombs can rake in the exp like you wouldnt believe ;).
3 jobs for the Tanks, brave shield for the men
5 jobs for the mages, wise and powerful
7 jobs for the Mortal melees, doom to eternal seek
2 jobs for the supports, in their ivory tower
1 job to rule them all, in the land of Ifrits Cauldron where the shadows lie,
One to solo them all and in the dirt let them die.
1 job to rule them all: Beastmaster.

Bst75, Rdm51, Nin37, War37, Blm37,
Hades Server - Proud Member of MithranPride and LordoftheBeasts
Rank 6 Windy
Beastmaster - Can you handle MY lizard?
AF v1 = Complete!
AF v2 = Head and Feet - O
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Yeah, Drg's can Duo or Trio versus the right mobs for better exp then the average party can rake in occasionally, 60+ anyways. Always consider outside the box options, if you can solo do so while lfp to get even more exp while you wait. Use every second of your time doing something productive and you'll get an invite before you know it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Althaia
Tomcat

Thanks a ton :)

Post by Althaia »

Wow, thanks everyone, you answered my question and more! :D
~[url=http://adventuresalthaia.blogspot.com/]Alth Aaiaa: Bio and Music[/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Astragem14/CharGallery/MithraPrideSig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bismarckcommunity.com/]Member of the Bismarck Server Community[/url]
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Something else to keep in mind. There is literally a strech of 10 levels pre-ToAU where you fight crabs....oh the horror....remember the Dunes? A lvl 13-14 pt or whatever fighting a crab without a blm, you might wipe to that thing if it gets lucky. Scissor Guard and Metallic Body virtually assured the melee they'll be hitting for 0 every time.

Then after that is Torama's, Raptors, Large Birds, and more gobbies. None of these things hit particularly light. And in the case of Torama's and the Birds, they can be awfully hard to hit at times because of their evasion.

Between that and the Lesser Colibri, who's only downside is you can't use food on them, most pick Lesser Colibri. Also, the actual Colibri themselves (not the Lesser ones) will reflect all spells back onto the caster(or party if you tossed a -ga spell at them). They do get hit by it, but as soon as they do you see "Colibri starts casting -whatever-". It was weird the first time I saw it, I wondered why the bird kept flashing the Pld back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Murto wrote: Also, if your a Drg, Smn (especially if ur a Smn), Pup or a Bst, dont underestimate Duo's and Trios. 4 Smns vs IT+++ Snolls and Bombs can rake in the exp like you wouldnt believe ;).
WORD!!!

This is solo exp on IT snolls, tho they con T > VT to me now @ 75 they still rake in decent exp when they splode quick.

60+ I did some experimantal Beastmaster/summoner teamups which did pretty good in Attowah Chasm.
A lot of fun I tell ya, 2 SMN Tier IV Nukes took nearly half a VT Lizzard's HP and the beastmasters finnished it off.

51 up I did most of my exp on smn in smn groups on IT++ Bombs and snolls and that was pretty fun.
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

SHHH!! >.> You're making me want to level Smn, lol. All I have is Garuda....though I suppose I can get the others easily enough now that my main is 70...all I have to do is survive the 2hr of the avatar and the rest should be easy enough. (^.^)b
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Eviticus wrote:SHHH!! >.> You're making me want to level Smn, lol. All I have is Garuda....though I suppose I can get the others easily enough now that my main is 70...all I have to do is survive the 2hr of the avatar and the rest should be easy enough. (^.^)b
The avatar fights aren't that hard at level 70 and up.
Bar spells are the key to surviving Astral Flow, and the rest is like you say a walk in the park.
Any setup as long as there is someone with whm sub for Bar spells can win these.

(Psst. Secret for you Dragoons out there, with Super Jump you can avoid Astral flow if you're fast enough.)
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Be prepared for some lvls that are just.... bad. Like when your in a party, too strong for Kuftal Tunnel but Too weak for anything else. Or (if your an aspiring Bst or someone who just likes to solo), some lvls that just stink.

For Aspiring Bsts, be careful of....

The mid-40's, they'll suck until your strong enough for Beetle Rock in West altep.

The low-to-mid-50's, when your too good for Beetle Rock and too weak for CN

Then from lvl 58-60, you have no choice than downstairs Garliage Citadel (always overcamped with parties, so good luck even getting a pet here), or Ulegrande Range (Tiger fun, Rawr!).

Then lvl 60-62 you just have to duo in Attowa Chasm, pretty much, until your strong enough to solo in {The Boyhada Tree} or in {Caedarva Mire}
3 jobs for the Tanks, brave shield for the men
5 jobs for the mages, wise and powerful
7 jobs for the Mortal melees, doom to eternal seek
2 jobs for the supports, in their ivory tower
1 job to rule them all, in the land of Ifrits Cauldron where the shadows lie,
One to solo them all and in the dirt let them die.
1 job to rule them all: Beastmaster.

Bst75, Rdm51, Nin37, War37, Blm37,
Hades Server - Proud Member of MithranPride and LordoftheBeasts
Rank 6 Windy
Beastmaster - Can you handle MY lizard?
AF v1 = Complete!
AF v2 = Head and Feet - O
Bitneko
Tomcat

Post by Bitneko »

Murto wrote:Also, if your a Drg, Smn (especially if ur a Smn), Pup or a Bst, dont underestimate Duo's and Trios. 4 Smns vs IT+++ Snolls and Bombs can rake in the exp like you wouldnt believe ;).
The trick is finding another PUP, I'm like the 3rd strogest PUP in all of Caitsith right now...

At 46. :lol:
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »