Samurai Guide (Levels 1~60) Ver. 0.1 ^^

Miah
Kitten

Samurai Guide (Levels 1~60) Ver. 0.1 ^^

Post by Miah »

First of all, I'd like to say hello to you all, The kitties of the world. Heheh.

This is a Samurai guide specifically for levels 1~60, as that is where I'm at right now.

Basics: As a samurai, you like TP. Unfortunately, with just physical attacking, later on in the game, other melees will start to out-TP you, such as Ninjas or Monks, respectively. This is what Meditate is for. Samurai may also seem frustrating at first, but the job really picks up at level 30.

Level 1~10

Food: Rarab Meatball, Grilled Hare.

Area: Ronfaure (East and West), Ghelsba Outpost, Sarutabaruta (East and West), Giddeus, Gustaberg (North and South), and the Zeruhn Mines.

Armor: The usual level 1~10 armor: Bronze armor, Leather armor, and finally the Scale mail set.

Weapons: Mumeito 1~8, Tachi 8~10

Strategy: Nothing special, just kill stuff, the old fashioned way.

Level 10~20

Food for level 20: Dhalmel Steak, if nothing else, just get some Kabobs.

At level 10, you should be using the Scale mail set, and should get ready to head for the dunes.

Before I continue, a quick tutorial on macros, for all ye who are unwary.

Macros are a great tool for partying, and soloing. You name it, there's a macro for it.

The macros you will be wanting for the dunes (assuming you have said equipment)

Alt+1 (Not needed, but a good help. This macro will be replaced by ACC gear later on.)
/equip ring1 "Stamina Ring"
/equip ring2 "Stamina Ring"
These will be your hate rings. As soon as you steal hate, or if they have you tank, switch to these immediately.

Alt+2
/equip ring1 "Courage Ring"
/equip ring2 "Courage Ring"
These are your Damage Dealing rings. At this level, if you can't hit, I might trade one for a Balance Ring. I didn't use them, myself, but if you have the extra cash, it's always worth it.

Alt+3 (or 0. This is at preference to the player)
/equip ring1 "Bone Ring"
/equip ring2 "Bone Ring"
/ra <t>
/wait 7
/equip ring1 "Courage Ring"
/equip ring2 "Courage Ring"

This macro is so that you can actually hit something with your bow once in a while, and it auto-switches back to your STR rings when you're about to fight. (Give or take a few seconds on the /wait.)

You may have sub-job macros, but they're not needed, and only if they make you tank will you need a Provoke macro. In that case, and you're lucky enough to have one...

Alt+9
/equip waist "Dash Sash"
/ja "Provoke" <bt>
/wait 2
/equip waist "Warrior's Belt"

Weapons for level 10~20:
Lv. 10 Katayama Ichimonji, Rare/EX. one of the best katanas for levels 10~20. If you're bored, go camp Carnero in South Gustaberg and try to get this Katana. I recommend camping it with a higher level job. I tried this as a level 10 Red Mage and got my butt handed to me on a silver platter. ^^;

Lv. 12 Uchigatana, It's okay, but I'd rather have a Katayama Ichimonji at this level. It has less DMG, but less delay. You WILL get less TP per hit with this Katana, not a good thing for SAMs.

Lv. 16 Nodachi or Nodachi +1, This Katana will get you into the 20's easily. Nothing special, But better than Katayama and Uchigatana.

Armor: Scale Set -> Bone set -> Lizard Set. Power Gi for Weaponskills. Rings: Courage Ring(x2), Balance Ring(x1), Stamina Ring(x2, optional), Brave Belt.

Possible Party areas: Valkurm Dunes (10~20), Maze of Shakrami (10~14), Korroloka Tunnel (14~18), Qufim Island (18~25)

Level 20~30
Now that your fur is safe and sound outside of the dunes, You get more options.

Food: Dhalmel Steak or Mithkabobs.

Weapons for level 20~30:

Lv. 20: Gunromaru. Nothing special. It's a normal Katana, so TP rate will be good, decent damage, and mid-range Delay. It's a bit of a hassle to get, since it drops off BCNM20. May be costly. I personally skipped this one.

Lv. 23: Okanehira. Cheap, yet effective. Nothing special about this one, only that it's better than Gunromaru.

Lv. 26: Kanesada. Another of the SAM/NIN Great Katanas. I would suggest avoiding this one. It's not a very good weapon at your level due to the loss of TP per swing.

Lv. 27: Kotetsu. Final Katana for 20~30. Nothing special about this one. Just a Katana with some pretty good DMG.

Armor: Beetle set -> Chainmail set -> Centurion Mail set. Though optional, the Mercenary set is better than the chainmail or Centurion set for SAM. Beetle Earrings x2, Beetle Rings x2. You may want to change your Ranged Attack macro for these rings if you're a decent archer. Shikaree ring or Archer's Ring at level 30 if you can get your hands on one. ( 1/1 on Stroper Chyme. :3 ), For Mithra or Tarutaru, RSE Shoes are really nice. On a Tarutaru, RSE is a necessity. Spike Necklace, Republic Subligar.

Party Areas: Qufim Island(20~25), Yuhtunga Jungle(24~28, some places 30~32), Yhoator Jungle(27~32)

Strategies: Hang on until you get Meditate. Other than that, just kill the stuff you or your puller pulls.

Lv. 30~40

Strategy: Now that you've got Meditate, It's time to go into a few meditating strategies. If you're Skillchaining, It's a good thing to keep Meditate on reserve, build as much TP from melee as possible, and meditate when you need to skillchain. If your party doesn't really care for a skillchain, or they have one with you not in it(Not likely), you can do the TP-spam method, where you meditate as much as possible.

There are two subjobs which I consider the most useful at this level.

/WAR: Most Damage per swing, highest possible Weaponskill damage with luck.

/THF: Decent Damage per swing, Highest CONSTANT weaponskill damage, and my personal favorite, as it allows you to stack as much STR gear as you want without any problems, something us Cats desperately need as Samurai.

You can sub other things, but these two are the most common and most useful to me at this level.

Food: Rice Dumplings, Dhalmel Steak(till 35 at best.), Mithkabobs.

Weapons:
Lv. 34: Homura, Homura+1, and Koen. These Katanas are really good. They have additional effect: Fire, and have good damages. Their TP per swing is normal.

Lv. 36: Ashura, Does not gain as much TP per swing, but is an okay Katana if you MUST have a new one. I find it somewhat unsatisfying. Nothing special.

Lv. 37: Hosodachi, Hosodachi+1. Good Katana, Nothing special, best Katana for 30~40 with the exception of the level 40 Rare Katana. May be expensive as it takes 64 Goldsmithing, 57 Alchemy, and 40 Leather to make safely. Nothing special

Lv. 40: Kagehide, Get ONLY if you MUST have a new katana at level 40. Your AF Weapon is much better than this. Nothing special.

Armor: Centurion gear -> Silver Mail -> Royal Squire's Mail. 2x Puissance Rings, Venerer's Ring, Tilt Belt(Really cheap, on Odin at least.) If you're rich, you might also get a pair of Ochiudo's Kote. Giga's Bracelets or Ogyogos Bracelets are also very useful.

Areas of Experience -> Yuhtunga or Yhoator Jungle(30~32), Sea Serpent Grotto(optional)(30~33), Eastern Altepa Desert or Garlaige Citadel(32~35), Crawler's Nest(34~55-ish) Sniper's Rings if you can afford them.

Best weaponskills at this level: Tachi: Enpi and Tachi: Kagero.

Tachi: Enpi, Your Distortion Maker, Black Mages love you.
Tachi: Kagero, The reason monks love you if you're willing to use it. I've also hit for 400+ constantly when subbing THF on this weaponskill. Black Mages still love you, even more in some cases.

Lv. 40~50

Food: Rice Dumplings, Mithkabobs.

Armor: Sword Belt, Brigandine Armor, Life Belt, Enkelados' Bracelets, Vanguard Belt

Weapons:
Lv. 40:Kagehide, Bleh. Forget this one and wait until the AF weapon. It's not worth it.

Lv. 42:Magoroku, Samurai get a very good AF weapon, miraculously. I kept this one way until level 51, myself.

Lv. 44: Mikazuki, Mikazuki+1. They're Good Katanas. Nothing special about them.

Lv. 48: Odenta, Good Katana, nothing special.

Lv. 50: Koryukagemitsu. It's a Great Katana if you can afford the price tag. +1 STR, +2 Accuracy. Chances are if you have this one you'll use it until 59~61.

Party Areas: Quicksand Caves, Crawler's Nest, and Western Altepa Desert. Levels I'm not so sure about, so I'll update a bit later and have it show the levels.

Lv. 50~60

Food: Mithkabobs(30~75), Sole Sushi(60+, not worth it before.)

Strategy: Not much to it, the hardest things will be the Genkai ( Limit Breaks, which, by the way, a HNM shell named Limit Break on Odin took on Absolute Virtue, and got him down to 52%... at the time of posting, that's a world record. :3 ) Just keep using your strategies from before, and you'll do fine.

Gear That you might want to get:
Royal Knight Chainmail, Victory Ring(x2, I wish.), Pallas Bracelets(I still wish.), All Artifact pieces, only nearly useless piece is the AF boots, Some Spike Earrings, Royal Knight's Mantle(the +2STR one.), Haubergeon( ;_; ), That's about all I can think of.

Weapons:
Lv. 51: Kiku-Ichimonji, S'okay. I had one of these until level 54. Nothing special about it.

Lv. 54: Jindachi(+1), Nothing special about it, but it's a really good Katana, served me well so far. :3

Lv. 55: Dotanuki, Ignore this Katana. Not worth it by this level, at all.

Lv. 56: Raikiri, It's alright, Jindachi's just about as good, but decent none-the-less.

Lv. 59: Daihannya, This is one that I want, if not for EXP, then for Ballista. It's really good, but WAY too expensive for me. If you can, get this one.

Leveling areas: Crawler's nest(till 55.), King Ranperre's Tomb (Till... 57~58), Boyahda Tree (55~56), Cape Terrigan, (58~60)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that's just about all I've got. Any questions just PM me, I'll be updating it sporadically, but this is basically how I got to 60, myself, give or take a few things.
Last edited by Miah on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish to join a new server. I want to have fun and meet new people, etc.

Any option one makes in life, they must live by, there is no taking back the past.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Samurai don't need a Jujitsu Gi at 40?
Miah
Kitten

Post by Miah »

It's really optional. As a Mithra, your DEX carries enough so that only 3 accuracy won't make much of a difference. when it comes to things like Life Belts, though, then you can see a difference. That's as a Mithra, though.

Any option one makes in life, they must live by, there is no taking back the past.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Jujitsu Gi is +4 accuracy. For a DD, it seems like a better choice than Royal Squire's Mail, which is what? +1 or 2 DEX?

The Life Belt is Lv48, so it's a bit of a ways off too.

Let's see... You may also want to add in Spike Necklace for Lv20 and up. It's a cheap and VERY useful neck piece.

Federation Tekko are good hands too, +3 Acc and +3 Ranged Acc.

Federation Kyahan are good till RSE feet

Royal Squire's Mufflers are good for Lv30 or whenever they're available, somewhat cheap and +2 Acc, I'd only get them if you can't get Federation Tekko though.

Oh yes, you also missed the REPUBLIC SUBLIGAR, which is like... THE leg piece for most melee for quite some time (unfortunately...) +VIT, +ATK, and +Ranged attack on these sexy iron panties.

A lot of this I'm carrying over from my MNK and WAR gear, but that's because it's just general good melee gear that SAM can use.
Miah
Kitten

Post by Miah »

There are many things I've overlooked, and I will continue to edit it accordingly. I will not take back that Jujitsu Gi is not optional. That is my opinion, though. I never used it, and I couldn't see the difference when playing with other mithra who had it. That's my only reason. There are a lot of optional things in there that I will go back and edit.

JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Okay, maybe it isn't required for a SAM at LV40 since they've got a few other options unlike MNK, but it is certainly the BEST piece of DD equipment for a SAM at that level.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Katayama Ichimonji

IMO, this is THE {Great Katana} to use from level 10 I think clear up to like 28 or so. I remember checking the other GKs, but not finding any that compared decently for many many levels. :D
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Miah
Kitten

Post by Miah »

For the Katayama Ichimonji, It's a good Katana, but at the level range in which you will use it, Weapon damage is more important than one STR. You CAN ride the Katana to the upper levels, but it's not really all that worthwhile.

STR is important, but it's not critical until level 30 when you can sub THF, or at 34 when you get Tachi: Kagero

STR is most important by level 60, as your weaponskills' modifiers are from 50~75% Strength. (Tachi: Yukikaze 50%, Tachi: Gekko 75%, Tachi: Kasha 75%)

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

My Melee kitty is SAM 48. And she does it a bit differently.

In short, there are many ways to tune a SAM. In long, my way follows.

I believe TP >>> EVERYTHING for SAM, so she is tuned for Acc big time.

Food, Rice Dumplings.

Favorite subjob /RNG. WAR and THF are both leveled and available.

Head, Emporer's Hairpin, A gift from her sweetie that MUST be worn. There is better but not a lot.

Neck, Spike Necklace.

Ears, Beetle +1.

Body, Jujitsu Gi.

Back, Wolf Mantle +1. Its so prrretty....

Legs, Republic Subligar.

Rings, 2 Horn +1, 2 Puissance Ring. Darned stingy Stroper anyway.

Waist, just moved from Tilt to Life Belt.

Hands, Federation Tekko.

Feet, Federation Kyahan. When Weaponskills demand more STR, then perhaps RSE feet, untill then we curse Stroper and wear STR on the fingers and Attack on the feet.

Longbow and Arrows are always kept up to date.

/RNG brings with it an Acc bonus. Also Ranged Weapon Skills. Maximum TP build. Sharpshot is darned near as good as a second Meditate.

/WAR is for damage. Your maximum DoT build.

/THF gives the biggest Weapon Skill numbers. Best when you close SCs.

/WAR and /THF are only really useful after level 30 when you get Berserk and Sneak Attack. /RNG helps when pulling Alertnss at 10, and the Acc bonus comes to you at 20. Before 30, look at your stats for subjob choice.

Low level food progression; Notice the Att and the Cap.

Grilled Hare: 180 mins, Strength +2, Intelligence -1, Attack +30% (Cap: 15@50 Base Attack)

Roast Mutton; 180 mins, Strength +3, Intelligence -1, Attack +27% (Cap: 30@111 Base Attack) or:

Navarin; 180 mins, HP +3%, Strength +3, Vitality +1, Agility +1, Intelligence -1, Evasion +5, Attack +27% (Cap: 30@111 Base Attack), Ranged Attack +27% (Cap: 30@111 Base Ranged Attack)

Dhamel Steak, Stew, or Pie all have STR 4 and Attack +25% (Cap: 45@180 Base Attack) but here I am on my favorite;

Rice Dumpling; 30 mins, HP +17, Strength +3, Vitality +2, Agility +1, Attack +20% (Cap: 45@225 Base Attack), Ranged Attack +30% (Cap: 45@150 Base Ranged Attack), hHP +2, hMP +2, Accuracy +5, Resist Paralyze
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Miah
Kitten

Post by Miah »

I've already included most of that stuff in the guide. I'm going to update it with some things I've forgotten. Never said ACC wasn't something to have. I am also going to label more things as optional, as I see they should be. :3

As for /RNG, it's a good sub. Not my personal choice, but it's good, seeing as you get more weaponskills, accuracy, and it increases the speed in which you shoot things. My only concern is the considerably low STR /RNG gives as a Sub, which by Tachi: Jinpu is a bit more important.

Please read it more carefully. ^^ Being that it's version 0.1, I overlooked a lot of things while working on it. Though it's not complete, I think it's a fairly good reference for a starting SAM. I appreciate your critisism, though. It helps me go back and fix some things that I missed.

Dawn
Kitten

Post by Dawn »

lol im only a lv 30 sam but i keep federation tekko and gigas bracelets on me for times... i usually switch them around here and there... but i absolutely hate how the Republic Subligar looks... i mean it looks like a diaper.. i dont liek it anyways... for looks i walk around in soil gi and centurion's scale mail haha.. its looks pretty good just for traveling equip i guess...

its too bad they dont have those straw traveling hats that the japanese would use... i would really love it if they could get some in or somethin lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FFXI Dawnn (garuda serv) Sam30/War30/Blm14/Whm7/Rng9/Drg12/Drk5/Mnk9
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

JediKitsune wrote:sexy iron panties
This is what one might call a fundamental piece of equipment for Mithra. Even a THF can get a group quickly if she's Mithra and puts "{Subligar}: O" in her search comment.

BTW, nifty guide. Couple tips I'd toss in for any new melee kitties: dun worry if your gear isn't all designer label. You can do a great job with well-chosen inexpensive gear, too. Particularly at lower levels, the most important thing is your weapon. Then your food. Then a (very) distant third: your armor. My favorite melee food for before 40~50: Rice Dumplings. You'll get more ATK than any other food at that level -- as well as a little +ACC and +HP. They're cheap, too.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Republic Subligar, the best...pants....ever...

No, seriously. For Drg, they are the best leg piece from 25-63, and even then you have to snag the HQ Feral Trousers, and the only benefit even then is the +Def. It has the same +5 Atk.

I can only imagine what other jobs can make use of that. War, Thf, Drk, Mnk, Cor, Sam, Drg, everyone. They are the fun undies, I always keep mine in my MH if I'm not wearing them, because I know there will always be another job which can make excellent use of them.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Samurai Guide (Levels 1~60) Ver. 0.1 ^^

Post by xaresity »