How to get a Moldavite Earring

Crispleaf
Housecat

How to get a Moldavite Earring

Post by Crispleaf »

Mysticmaker Profblix and the Moldavite Earring

I finally got that goblin to cough up the moldavite earrings 8)

It was a feeling of great relief as it almost makes my head hurt thinking about the odd times of the day I popped in to attack the goblin. So, in order to alleviate some of the torment, I offer some suggestions based on my experience.

What is the Moldavite Earring?

A moldavite earring is a rare/ex item that can be used at level 47. It simply raises magical attack by 5, and from what I understand, this vastly improves the damage you can cause with spells. This item is of great interest to black mages and red mages. Since it is rare/ex, the only way you can get the earring is to defeat the black mage goblin Mysticmaker Profblix in the Labyrinth of onzozo.

Where do I get it?

The Labyrinth of Onzozo, if you didn't know, is a dangerous place. It's full of very powerful beasts, many of which can turn you to stone, silence you, or at the very least, hit you really hard :P

There are two goblins that spawn in the same area as Profblix (I've seen bouncers, miners, and hunters). Obviously, they will link if you fight Profblix nearby, and this can be a problem if the fight with Profblix will be close enough as it is. It's a little risky to fight them off (because Profblix might appear while you're doing so) but overall, it's probably best that you do. Also, you could try leading Profblix out of the area along a route that won't drag him by the other two goblins. I've had to do this once when Profblix had already spawned when no one else was around.

The area is also filled with Cockatrices. As a 66 white mage, they left me alone, but they are difficult to fight (silence, petrify, INT reduction... plus they hit hard). If you do get aggro from these monsters, you will have to clear them out of the area as well. You won't want them interfering with your Profblix fight.

Cockatrices and Goblins will attack anyone who rests near them, so be careful! If you do have to rest between fights; there is a nearby ledge behind one of the ponds where it is safe to heal up. Alternatively, you can cast Invisible on yourself or use a Prism Powder just before you start resting.

When do I get it?

The most dreadful part of trying to get Profblix is not knowing when he was defeated. Once defeated, he won't appear again for 2 hours plus anything from 5 to 45 minutes afterwards. So if you show up minutes after he was defeated (and everyone cleared out), you may end up waiting almost 3 hours for him to show up again... all the while, not knowing if he might appear in a few seconds :cry: So, if you know the goblin's time of death, you can minimize your waiting. Even if the place fills up with people trying for the goblin, just knowing when the goblin died will vastly help you in getting him the next time ;)

The best time to go in my experience has been around suppertime. The area is usually deserted or nearly deserted then, for some reason.

Late at night, is actually the worst. I would have thought 1 in the morning would be the perfect time, but in reality, that's when the most people try for the goblin. Early in the morning isn't much better, either.

How do I get it?

Of course, bringing extra people with you improves your chances. It not only makes the fight easier, but each person makes that much more likely you'll get the claim before anyone else. I'd recommend standing in the middle of the area where Profblix spawns and stand back-to-back with your friends.

I'd suggest having someone who can Provoke with you. Nothing is faster at claiming monsters. But it has a limited range, so bringing a ranged weapon is also good, even if it's a few pebbles. However, most of your competition will be from red mages and black mages (since they want the earring the most). Red mages will cast Dia, but Flash and Stun are even faster, so use those spells if you have them.

The fight itself

Profblix isn't really that hard. Unless he's killed extremely quickly, he will use his two hour ability, Manafont... which is actually pretty silly since he has unlimited mp anyway :roll:

You can't silence Profblix so don't even try. Aspir and Drain are nearly useless, as well. Paralyze works wonders however. Keep him paralyzed at all times. Slow also sticks and you can use Dispel on him too.

He will cast a variety of level 2 -ga spells and level 3 elemental spells. His most dangerous magic is Ancient Magic. I've known him to use Freeze and Tornado. He may have others. This magic is strong enough to kill level 75 red mages, so it should be taken very seriously.

First of all, if you or whoever is tanking Profblix has Utsusemi, you're fine. It will absorb all the damage, and since ancient magic has super long casting times, you'll have plenty of time to get the shadows up.

However, if Utsusemi is not available...

Use a bar-spell that corresponds to the element of the ancient magic. I.e. use barblizzara against Freeze and baraera against Tornado. The magic may still hurt a but, but it probably won't kill you. Blink can work as well, but it's unreliable and the spell may hit you anyway. Also, paralyze will occasionally stop Profblix from finishing the spell. Phalanx and Stoneskin can reduce the damage too. From what I've observed, Profblix resists Stun so using that probably won't help you.

Profblix doesn't always drop the earring, so you will likely have to fight him several times. So, you will want to plan to spend a long stretch of time popping into Onzozo throughout the day with two hour breaks in between attempts. It's a good time to finish short quests and missions, or get some farming in. ;)
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Oops :oops:

Forgot to mention that Profblix appears in area I-9 of the Labyrinth of Onzozo.

Also, he doesn't appear in a single fixed location but can show up just about anywhere within a certain radius. It's hard to describe in words exactly what that radius would look like :? But once you show up there I'm sure you'll get a feel for it :P
Rise of Zilart Completed
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

Odd that this would pop up today... I finally bagged Mysticmaker and got the earring for my BLM job just this afternoon.

Once I had the claim, soloing him as a 74 WHM was fairly easy - I heavily resisted most of his magic, and the goblin link mid-fight was easily slept.

Waef
Tomcat

Post by Waef »

Congratulations and nice guide!
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

incorrect on one part, his 2 hour is chainspell, not manafont. dont worry, unlike more evil things, he doesnt usually chainspell ancient magic. i soloed him and the 3 goblins that linked no contest when i camped him as a 72 whm, he isnt that hard, one thing though, when he starts casting ancient magic, put you highest lvl shell up, stonestin, elemental buff, and phalanx (if rdm), believe me it will help, he did nearly 700damage to me (blew though a stoneskin as well) on one of those freezes. his damage from AM seems to be random, sometimes rediculously high, sometimes small, in either case be careful, the paralyze idea is great, authough it didnt stop his AM for me >.>;
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

He does use Manafont - this means that he does nothing but cast spells for 30 seconds, and his spells can't be interrupted, but his casting takes the normal amount of time.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

meh i thought it was chainspell, he seems to cast really fast spells on me for 30 seconds then >.>; (have most abilities filtered now...)
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Could you imagine...

Chainspell + Ancient Magic + infinite mp?

Who could survivie? :o
Rise of Zilart Completed
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Chainspell + infinate MP + ancient magic + fire 4 + firaga3 = suzaku.

when you see him 2 hour, run for your life! or youl eat a flare to the face ;_;
Ephi
Housecat

Post by Ephi »

i might as well say this bout AMs tho it doesnt really have to do with the gob...

i wanna see a pt of 6 BLMs all with AM and all casting it at once at the same target... despite the probable lag that may cause
I like jellyfish
Gimme a jellyfish
mmmm mercury :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/Ephisig2.png[/img]
<(^-^<) <(^-^)> (>^-^)>
KIRBY DANCE!!!
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Ephi wrote:i might as well say this bout AMs tho it doesnt really have to do with the gob...

i wanna see a pt of 6 BLMs all with AM and all casting it at once at the same target... despite the probable lag that may cause
How about 4 black mages with ancient magic, along with a red mage and a bard to keep the mp flowing...
:?:
Might actually be a good experience points party :P
Rise of Zilart Completed
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

Actually, there's some screenshots of an alliance of black mages who one-shotted the Ark Argels with thundraga-III each... lemme go dig those up.
[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Lihera wrote:Actually, there's some screenshots of an alliance of black mages who one-shotted the Ark Argels with thundraga-III each... lemme go dig those up.
You can nuke the dynamis lord like that as well... you just need 55 BLMs. :/
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

wait a sec, can't you only have one alliance fighting him at a time? That would take quite a bit of organization to invite and kick accordingly...
[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Lihera wrote:wait a sec, can't you only have one alliance fighting him at a time? That would take quite a bit of organization to invite and kick accordingly...
In Dynamis every mob is claimed red, meaning the mob is fair game to all alliances.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Lihera wrote:wait a sec, can't you only have one alliance fighting him at a time? That would take quite a bit of organization to invite and kick accordingly...
When fighting Gods, there will often be whole parties rotated in and out of te alliance. The example that was given to me was; lets say your BLM party runs out of Mana, you rotate another one in. :shock:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Yeah but in Dynamis there is no need to do that. :wink:

You could have 60 people all attacking the same target.
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

Tsybil wrote:
When fighting Gods, there will often be whole parties rotated in and out of te alliance. The example that was given to me was; lets say your BLM party runs out of Mana, you rotate another one in. :shock:
gods are far too easy to worry about that, the only reason youl do that is if your fighting a harder NM, even then. youl only do it if you have enough blm's (thats alot of mages).
Saharah
Kitten

Post by Saharah »

Anywho, back to the Moldy, i'm 0/2 on this cheap skate now. Camped him twice with a good friend who gets them for everybody in the LS. For some reason after the hellacious March update, he hasn't dropped this earring ><. Talked to a jp RDM who had campd him 5 times in a row with no dice. The WHM who I got the ToD from said, "/no reward ; ; " So, i cam back 2 hours later and have my 72 WHm and 60 PLd friends with me, only 2 others camping him^^, PLD and Me (68 RDM) clear the area while WHM does what he does <he never misses the claim he says> We get a "Wooohoo" in /p chat and run over to whack at him a bit. It's true, he can't be silenced, but paralyze worked and Gravity. He didn't get a chance to use Manafont or try AM. Then I get:
"You find a scroll of Thunder III on...."
"You find a suit of goblin mail..."
"You find a goblin helm......"
But NO MOLDY! omg. I'm preparing for my Maat fight, and I really want this damn earring! Had my 4 leaf mandy bud, too. No dice.
ToD on Shiva was 630 am EST btw.