Chotto ii hanashi...Little Good Tales... Please Read....

How to butcher a language - American Style
Fonglee
Kitten

Chotto ii hanashi...Little Good Tales... Please Read....

Post by Fonglee »

This is a story found in a thread on Allakhazam. the link is: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... 7506923691
The Story was translated into English from a Japanese Thread posting website.

So here's the story...

First time came to Valkurm Dunes, I saw a Taru White Mage among the group of strangers.
I was a Warrior, at a time I didn't even know what SkillChain was.
Competition for Subjob item was very intense, and it was common that Ghouls at Dunes were claimed immediately once they had spawned.
Every night, we searched for the items endlessly. Without knowing too much, we had a static party settled down.
War, War, Mnk, Whm, Blm, Rdm.
And finally, we had gathered complete subjob items for all.
Already with each other for so long, we decided to level all our subjob together also.

First time went to Jeuno, twice, we had all died on the road.
I still remember clearly the sound of our cheers when we got to Jeuno after all the obstacles we went through.
In order to celebrate the moment, we sold everything we had for some money to buy a LinkShell.
The leader was assigned to the Taru White Mage who lost on the /random dice.

We had such a good time...
Hoping it could always stay that way, never changed...

But. When was this starting to change? Maybe it's when the Taru White Mage learned the Teleport magic.
Gradually, everyone drifted away.
Taru White Mage was the reason.
Always quiet and calm, she started to avoid daily repetitive, killing, mad leveling partying.
To those members who wanted to get strong, powerful, high-level faster, she began to have troubles to get along with them.
The level difference was too wide.
One day, she suddenly told us her decision....
"I am so sorry. I have no use to everyone anymore. Please find another White Mage...."
Actually before she even made her announcement, our members already started to fall apart.
Secretly competing with each other by outleveling, again and again.
Now as I recall, I still don't understand why I was so desperate to level.
Maybe, it's because of the burning desire to persuade greater power, I think.
Two people left the LS, and later on I joined other LS.

At last, I maxed my warrior in levels. It was still quite some time before the release of Rise of Zilart expansion.
Having completed my initial goal, I started leveling THF in order to make more money.
As soon as the Rise of Zilart has released, my THF already reached lvl 58.
Thinking to explore the new zones and considering THF had the ability to flee from dangerous situation, I decided to go as THF.

Coming back to hometown Bastok, went through the Korroloka Tunnel, I arrived at Altepa Desert.
No map. No direction. I had no idea what to expect.
I just wondered around and see what would happen.
Suddenly, I saw the Telepoint-Altepa.
At the sametime, there is something next to it.

Yes, it's the long forgotten Taru White Mage.
She was in complete AF, sitting there alone quietly.
Next to her name, is a very familiar LS color.
Not possible.... there are too many LS with similar colors.
But somehow, my intuition told me it's the one we had long ago.
She saw me, and smiled.
Then, used /tell and said.....

"Haven't seen you in a long time. You look good ^^"

Maybe she found the awkwardness in the air, she did a /cry emote.

"I was so sorry that time, I wished I could apologize to everyone. One day, if we meet again. But I need to tell you something. "

Bathing in the purple light from Telepoint-Crystal, she started to tell her story slowly.
What happen after that. What she was thinking that time.

She, was an "adventurer" to the land of Vana'Diel, she said.
Of course, samething to me, I thought.
But the way she understood about adventure seemed to be different than mine.

"It was really fun when we were at Dunes. In a world we had no sense of where to go, we found our path together."
"But ever since we came to Jeuno, we were doing samething over and over again everyday. We didn't have any spare time."
"After I learned the Teleport magic, I always thought we could go someplace interesting as one. But everyone was only into leveling......"

"I, I just want to hang around in this world. I know, maybe at somewhere, there must be a great scenery I have yet to see. If we could all share that moment, would be so wonderful. At least, that's what I thought."
"Remember the first time we saw the rainbow at LaTheine Plateau? I still remembered how excited we were, never forgot. I wished we could all did this once again, just like the old times..."

At this point, I am shocked...

Indeed, first time went to Jeuno, it was very excited. But after that, everytime I saw new zones, did I still have the same feeling?
Even if I arrived at a new place, it's just another hunting place to me.
Those Momument Stones detailed the story of each zone, to me, is just another cumbersome obstacle to obtain map of the Crawler's Nest.
Since when, I have lost the enthusiasm to adventure?

The original LS we created, BLM was the one insisted would stay untill the end.
But now, she is the only one left, alone by herslef.
Even though, she said she still wanted to keep it equipped.

"Because, this is a special LS"
"Although there were many invites to other LS, but I all politely rejected them. One day if someone come back, I can say welcome home to him."

I felt ashamed. Until now, I never even thought of her once, already forgot about her in memory. Not to mention other members. I even dropped the Link Pearl long ago.

"Walking around in this world by myself. Everytime I saw something new, I always typed in what I discovered in LS chat, even though it ended up talking to myself only. w"

"I discovered many many stories. Like the history of Davoi, Magic Towers at Beaucedine Glacier and Sarutabaruta......"
The Taru White Mage kept talking to me the stories that perhaps no one would even pay attention to until now.
In the chat window, red texts of her /tells started to fill up slowly.
At the sametime, I felt I was very envied of her.
Her expression was so real and whole-hearted.
I already lost the sense of adventure, but she still kept it in her heart.

Nervously, I asked her.
If it's alright, could you once again, give me a Link Pearl? I asked.
Next time if you go travel around, please take me with you.
I know it is a very shameful, selfish request.

She smiled, and request to Trade.

It's a pearl with the most memorable color. I equipped it right away.
In the chat window, a green line of text slowly flowed in.

"Welcome back. And welcome to the adventure world of Vana'Diel"
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Jonny440/fongsig2jpg.jpg[/img]

Hate me not for I have pointy ears!
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

; ;
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

Wow that really has some meaning. I think that is something that everyone in the LS should look at least once. I can definitely understand where the WHM taru was coming from. I think that this is something that every LS goes through though. I have seen people come on as n00bs and rocket past me. I have seen friends come and go, hoping that someday they will return. I have been surrounded by friends and at times I have been all alone.

I guess the point of the story to me is to stop and enjoy the game. Its not about getting the highest level of job or craft, its more about having a good time with your friends. :D
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

I think the hardest thing in Vana'diel is accepting your own pace.

I always feel sad when I fall behind from a group I have been leveling with, but the ones that have truly become friends will stay with you, even if they can't level with you. I think for the most part, this is what I feel when I think about MithraPride. It's not just a place to find help... it's a home.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Golddess
LVL (-1) Baka Neko

Post by Golddess »

just... wow
[color=blue][b]WHM-BRD75[/b][/color] | RDM62 | BLM38 | PLD30 | NIN25 | SMN22 | WAR20 | DRK18 | THF15 | SAM11 | DRG-RNG-COR10
Gold53.1+1 | Smith21.4 | Wood8.0 | Cook2.2 | Leather2.0
0/300 T.Whiteshell | 0/1400 Byne Bill | 0/6000 O.Bronzpiece | 0/10000 T.Whiteshell
Mithra have paws!
[img]http://www.mithrapride.org/boards/images/mithra_paws.jpg[/img]
nuri
Tomcat

Post by nuri »

still makes me all fuzzy wuzzy inside when i read it, no matter how many times~! :cry: :cry:
<-------------- isn't kitty cute? meow~
Yupipi
Kitten

Post by Yupipi »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Its a nice and very meaning story...sob...sob
Zenturi
Tomcat

Post by Zenturi »

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read a tale that has touched my heart. I felt tears come to my eyes while reading it.

Again, thank you. I will never forget that.
[b] Psycho [/b] [i] Z [/i]
[b] Lady Zhenturii M.S.H. of the Federation of Windurst [/b]
<3 Tarutaru Men <3 Miraun <3
Fonglee
Kitten

;_;

Post by Fonglee »

I do not think this story was meant to make people feel sad or sorry. It just reminds us that we are blinded by power, and greed sometimes. I think that we should read this story and feel closer to those we become friends with. In our hearts we shall never forget our friends.
And with those friends we can live a lifetime of adventure! :)

Think about it....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Jonny440/fongsig2jpg.jpg[/img]

Hate me not for I have pointy ears!
Fayin
Feral Cat

Post by Fayin »

Found this while cruisin around.
[b]-Fayin-[/b]
46WHM   43BLM   48THF   21WAR
59+1 Cooking   58+1 Woodworking   25 Fishing

[b]-Entourage-[/b]
Name                     Lv     GB   MHE Aketon  Warp
Fayinsjeunomule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinssandymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinswindymule  1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]
Fayinsbastymule   1BLM   V    III     [  ]       [  ]

[size=75]"omg Ebay..."[/size]
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Makes me want to find those guys on Kujata and thank them for the beautiful and eye opening story....
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Rueka
Tomcat

Post by Rueka »

Lost a few of my good friends along the way as well. Always makes me think... :(
52 THF | 26 NIN | 42 DRG | 19 WAR | 28 WHM | 13 BLM | 15 BST | 12 SMN | 12 BRD | 19 RDM

52 THF/26 NIN:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?25302

42 DRG/21 WAR:
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?70360
Wyvern- Qiqiru
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Can You Blame Us?

Post by Dukuji »

The theme of that story is something many, if not all, of my friends do not understand. They see me put a fair amount of time into this game and every time they see me play they ask me the same questions:

Them: When are you going to beat this game?

Me: It's not really a game that you beat.

Them: I know, but when are you going to get to the end?

Me: There really isn't a set end to it. I guess you play until you've had enough.

Them: That's so stupid, if you can't beat a game, why play?

Me: This game is a world of its own. It's about exploring that new world, discovering what you can accomplish as a player, interacting in a world where what happens next is up to you. It's like watching your favorite movie over and over but instead of it ending in two hours or so, it goes on for days, with every day better than the last.

The rest of the conversation is usually pointless with, yet again, dead end conclusions on their part. The lines of a Morrissey song comes to mind about why we play:

I wonder why you're only half-ashamed?
Because ENOUGH is TOO MUCH!
and look around...
...can you blame us? CAN you blame us?

Look around . . . can you blame us?
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Mcpiggi
Tomcat

Post by Mcpiggi »

When my friend saw the game all she saw was a long run from jeuno to windy. Although she did have a good laugh at some of the mob names...like "Combat". She also thought the worms were funny...
Aony
Housecat

Post by Aony »

Wow....that was very touching...I've always felt that there is really no reason to rush through to total power. Look at me, jobs 28 thf 13 war 12 whm 8 blm been playin from when it came out for PS2. My first buddy, a taru whm that i met in sarutabaruta when we were both level one was, last time i saw him, a lvl 45 ranger. Unfortunately so many of my friends i have not seen in so long, including my first friend...I miss them all so much :( I think many of them have abandoned FFXI to go play WoW...
[url=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img100.echo.cx/img100/6779/sigaony7am.gif[/img][/url]

thf: 70 drg: 50 nin: 36 smn: 30 whm: 33 blm: 21 war: 25 drk: 13 sam: 10 brd: 9 mnk: 10 pld: 10 Blu: 8 cor: 11 pup: 5

All Thief AF obtained! :thumb:

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheresyourgod1sh.jpg
sasuske
Big Cat

Post by sasuske »

WoW the most foul name ever -_-. yea half my friends have ditched me for that game. and they where the only ones who understod me ; ; lol.
im pretty much amazing

68/9 Nin, 47 Drg, 36 War and more
Thom
Kitten

Friends

Post by Thom »

i have made friends but only because they need me for one thing or another ... wish i could of had the experiences that some of u had this was very touching and it makes me stop and think about some of the people i actually do consider "Friends"...

Thank you for posting this
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

I am on Kujata, I should make a point to track down these people and thank them!!!!
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

Havent we cried about this before? :oops:
Janeth
Tomcat

Post by Janeth »

That story was beautiful...Thank you for posting it. Everytime I read it, I think how lucky I am not to have lost the sense of adventure.

I also liked the movie...Have you ever read a story and imagined what it would look like, and then seen the movie? The movie version, how everything really looked, is different from what you imagined, to be sure...but it's better. A book is a story you help create, because you imagine what all the characters look like, and what the places look like, and all that. Then when you watch the movie, it's that same, wonderful story...but all the more real. That is the story as it really happened.

For example, I imagined the tarutaru WHM sitting on the steps of a crag (I didn't know there was no crag in Altepa, just a telepoint ^^;)

Also, I tried to show the movie to my literally illiterate brother, but the words went by so fast I couldn't read them to him...so I just read him the story, and then showed him the movie, and he could tell which part was which pretty well.

Back to the original subject of this post...
It was a beautiful story, and I want to thank you for posting it. I wish it were more generally accepted, to say that sort of thing into a LS. Is that the sort of LS we want MithraPride to be? I hope so...we mustn't let anyone lose their sense of adventure. This has reminded me of how precious a good sense of adventure really is...and how precious good writing talent is, also. :) I have a feeling I might be able to write a story like that...not nearly as good, I bet, but I would like to try. If I ever do, where should I post that story?

I love telling stories...that's why most of my posts are so long ^^ I'm surprised this post doesn't have a story in it...it was in response to a story, after all. As a final word, here's hoping all who read this story gain a renewed sense of adventure, and have fun, exploring vana'diel like we were meant to.
[size=75][color=red]Janeth • RDM62[/color] • Bahamut
[color=green]Windurstian[/color] Rank 6.
Stuff I have in real life that proves I'm obsessed: A Windurstian flag, SMN Artifact armor, RDM artifact armor, and a plush Carbuncle.
Currently working on: WHM AF. My brother and I compromised. >.>
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Minimaxthetinyone/SMN.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Minimaxthetinyone/RedMageArtifact1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Minimaxthetinyone/RedMageArtifact3.jpg[/size]
[quote="Twotogether"]just because she doesnt do everything that everyone else wants to do
and she doesnt care about what you want her to do
doesnt mean she isnt fun[/quote]
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

Okay, I realize this has been here for a while and my post may be very late but~ :cry: (I saw the movie of this story a while ago but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to read it)
Such a beautiful story... So true... I miss so many who have quit the game. Like the first DRG I ever saw as a low level WHM soloing...
...but I am lucky. Two people I met early on are in the same HNMLS with me. I love them both in different ways and I cherish the fact we three are still friends & doing end-game things together.
Adventure on~ sisters! {/cheer}
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
Torakoun
Kitten

Post by Torakoun »

I loved this, the first time I saw it. I found a vid of someone using these words... Had nice background music. I'd post the link, but I lost the address in a hardware crash. :cry:
Kesina
Kitten

Post by Kesina »

It's nice to come to anew board and see something heartwarming like this... :( It's the problem I have in a lot of games... I want to see new areas, try new thigns, and everyone else just levels past me. I understand the Taru's pain.
"I am only a pirate on the seas of love! Only a thief of women's hearts!"
Wants: 75Corsair/37 THF
Is: 6 MNK
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Chotto ii hanashi...Little Good Tales... Please Read....

Post by xaresity »