Calling anyone fluent in Japanese

How to butcher a language - American Style
Syine
Tomcat

Calling anyone fluent in Japanese

Post by Syine »

I added a few phrases to the other topic here, but I have a lot more phrases which I would like to confirm are correct, plus I have a number of FFXI-specific phrases I'd like to see translated to Japanese, which unfortunately are not likely to appear in a textbook or travel dictionary, such as the proper way to request a raise, or inquire about the other players' feelings about the XP the party is getting, or to speculate on the effectiveness of a spell or skill, or to direct someone to pull an enemy.

I would like to get together with one of our more fluent members to assemble a Japanese-English FFXI phrasebook, full of useful phrases for all situations. I already have begun laying out the things I find I'd like to be able to say, organized by category and situation. If you are comfortable enough with Japanese to know distinctions of appropriateness and politeness, as well as some details of the standard language of the FFXI gamer, please contact me.
Sophina
Tomcat

Post by Sophina »

Hi, I live in Japan, and I can speak enough Japanese to get by. If you need anything translated, I think I can help. I'm also with a Japanese LS as my main. :wink:
Server: Titan
WHM 75,NIN 75, BLM 67, THF 60, RNG 60,RDM 60, WAR 44, SMN 43, DRK 27, SAM 20, MNK 15, PLD 6, BST 6, DRG 4, BRD 1
Clothcraft is 53 now... got the glasses... but silk too expensive...
kawaiikoneko
Kitten

Post by kawaiikoneko »

Um I am planning on going to Japan, so I try and speak it when I can, often when I dont want others to know what I am saying! I think I know a lot! but Im still learning! But Im pretty sure I can help out! ^_^
I can post some words I know here if you want....
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/Neko-U-kai/signutares/1110753188191.jpg[/img]
Rinnie
Kitten

Post by Rinnie »

i would also want to know how you say this: can you raise (player)?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mofokiller/Angel.jpg[/img]
mithra wannabe
Sabre
Kitten

Post by Sabre »

Rinnie wrote:i would also want to know how you say this: can you raise (player)?
I will usually send a tell/sh for: "Raizu <playername> <pos> kudasai." then when they do so /bow and "Arigato <raiser>"
Sabre
Homeland: Windurst Rank 10
Notable Jobs: 75 WHM, 75 BRD, 75 RDM, 61 PLD, 56 BST, 40 BLM, 38 WAR, 37 SMN
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

For whatever I can use the auto transelator I use it.
Things like raises, teleports, battle tactics during exp.
For whatever isn't in the auto transelator I know a bit of Japanese,
enough to get by in exp parties and during missions/battles.
Just not enough knowledge for an entire conversation.

If I can be of any help, just ask.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fortunacauda
Tomcat

Post by Fortunacauda »

Sabre wrote:
Rinnie wrote:i would also want to know how you say this: can you raise (player)?
I will usually send a tell/sh for: "Raizu <playername> <pos> kudasai." then when they do so /bow and "Arigato <raiser>"
whenever you can use the translator function, try to use them. especially for something as simple as asking raise. translator lets the japanese players to see them in kana text, so they see (レイズ) (english players will see (Raise)) which is much more convinient for them than 'raizu' which is in romaji (romanized japanese)--they don't use romaji in everyday life. 'x '; if you use it often enough, you get really good at it too :3

i use as much as translator as possible; also the most communiticative japanese players i've met all used translotors 'fluently' as supposed to broken english. (some do speak really good english tho :3 )
[b]- Fortuna :3[/b]
[img]http://kickbeat.info/LL/fortuna.jpg[/img]
[color=green][b]([/b][/color]Mithra[color=red][b])[/b][/color][color=green][b]([/b][/color]Power[color=red][b])[/b][/color]

淚と笑顔の間は自分で埋めてく。
Sabre
Kitten

Post by Sabre »

Fortunacauda wrote:
Sabre wrote:
whenever you can use the translator function, try to use them. especially for something as simple as asking raise. translator lets the japanese players to see them in kana text, so they see (レイズ) (english players will see (Raise)) which is much more convinient for them than 'raizu' which is in romaji (romanized japanese)--they don't use romaji in everyday life. 'x '; if you use it often enough, you get really good at it too :3

i use as much as translator as possible; also the most communiticative japanese players i've met all used translotors 'fluently' as supposed to broken english. (some do speak really good english tho :3 )
Once Windower allows the IME to pass through kana text, it would be easier to talk to people. I havent run across to many people who do not use romanji at all. It does help conversations when I can talk back and forth. I use the translator a lot just because I can hit like 3 letters and tab.. I am lazy... but I also use romanji when it is late for me and I forget what I am talking about and it comes as natural as typing to someone in english. but until then.... lets get a mithra filter in X3
Sabre
Homeland: Windurst Rank 10
Notable Jobs: 75 WHM, 75 BRD, 75 RDM, 61 PLD, 56 BST, 40 BLM, 38 WAR, 37 SMN
Aoisakura
Kitten

JP/EU Kittah

Post by Aoisakura »

:) I can translate anything you kitties want- I'm JP but lived in UK for last 13 years ;)
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Awesome. I'd like the following translated into Romanji. "Prepare for the Kancho of Eternal Pain" or something. For when I do a SA-Polearm WS. ^.^ I think it's a nice bit of irony.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Still with the Eternal Kancho Eviticus? :lol:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

I think it's amusing. ^.^ And I like making JP players laugh by my meager attempts at japanese. When I'm in a party that has 5 NA's and one JP, I feel kinda sorry for that one person. There they are, sitting in a party, with not really anyone to talk to. Maybe their LS, but what if their LS is silent at that time.

I like to try to involve them. If they have any preconcieved notions about NA's, maybe dispell those. What better way to get a cheap laugh then be immature? :lol:
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Ya know, that sounds a lot like me actually. <.<;

I do kinda the same thing, my favorite thing is to wait until the monster does something that you just absolutely hate (Catoblepas using Healing Breeze in Bibiki Bay comes to mind, or Gob Bomb drops.) and just out of the middle of nowhere rattle off with "{Goblin} no baka!!!". :lol: Sometimes I get a laugh out of it, sometimes they don't realize I'm trying to be friendly, and other times I just don't think they can read it. :oops: But I try. ^^
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Felnost
Kitten

Re: Calling anyone fluent in Japanese

Post by Felnost »

I can also do some translation work. I've lived in Japan for 8 years. And no kanchos please. I have a hard enough time teaching my students not to do that :tsk:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Felnost wrote:I can also do some translation work. I've lived in Japan for 8 years. And no kanchos please. I have a hard enough time teaching my students not to do that :tsk:
You wouldn't happen to be 'that' teacher, would you? :?:
But no worries, I won't be giving you any kanchos.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Decat 12th, 2005.

You two might be a tabby late. ^-^
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Herro 1 year later! :D

Greetings from Nagoya btw. ^___^