Summer 2014 Anime Lineup

All your anime and manga needs.
Sugami
Anime cat

Summer 2014 Anime Lineup

Post by Sugami »

http://anichart.net/summer here you go, like last time I'll do a quick summery of my first impressions.

Argevollen - Mecha. Seems interesting enough, the mecha and fight scenes are generally CG. Story seems a little borrowed from Gundam. On the probably pile.

Bakumatsu Rock - Music, shoujo. Ever wondered what a cross between Uta No Prince-sama Maji 1000% and Sengoku Basara would be like? Well wonder no more! I don't really need to say anymore, seems kinda entertaining so on the maybe pile :P

Glasslip - Slice of life. Love the art style and animation, you may find it dull if you don't like these kind of anime but story and characters seem interesting. On the yes pile.

Tokyo Ghoul - Supernatural. Ghouls eat people but look like people until they ghoul out :P Protagonist gets tricked by one and almost killed when a freak accident kills the ghoul trying to eat him. To save his life an emergency organ transplant is carried out using one of the ghoul's organs, which in turn turns him into part-ghoul. I really like this series so far, on the definitely pile.

Stay tuned for more! :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Summer 2014 Anime Lineup

Post by Shirai »

Ah, how I have missed these reviews.

My main interest right now goes out to Ghost in the Shell: Arise episode 3.
Which I'll hopefully be picking up in a few weeks. (If the regular shops in Osaka aren't sold out, otherwise I'll have to scour Nagoya... *shudders*)

Other then that, the following titles are on my list to try/watch:

Sengoku Basara - Judge end
Sailor Moon: Crystal
Hanamonogatari
Uuchu Kyoudai #0 (Once I finish the manga)

Currently Following from previous seasons and backlog:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders
Muv Luv Alternative - Total Eclipse
RWBY (Ok, not really anime, but it's a pretty cool series)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

New Sengoku Basara? :O I'm all over that!

You're watching Muv Luv? That's weak sauce :P There are better booby anime out there, TBH can't do better than Queen's Blade (got that backlogged to watch new season) also Freezing Vibration isn't half bad, pretty graphic battle scenes.

Rail Wars - Comedy, slice of life. Think Working! but on trains and you're probably not far off. Also if you like trains you'll love this :P Funny and interesting, on the yes pile.

Akame ga Kill - Action, fantasy? At first I thought it was another one of those generic action/battle anime with swords etc., ready to casually toss it off my watch list until there was a dark plot twist at the end of episode that pretty much completely changed the tone of the anime. Now I'm interested, we'll see if it keeps up, on the probably pile.

Aldnoah Zero - Mecha. Can't really review this one as the first ep only introduces characters and sets the story, does look interesting so far. On the maybe pile.

Barakamon - Slice of life, comedy. An anime about a calligrapher, can't be all that exciting right? WRONG! Right at the start the protagonist sucker punches an old guy straight in the face, BOOM! :lol: Really it looks like an endearing story about this calligrapher (who's trying to find himself out in the boonies) and probably this little girl who keeps bothering him. I have a feeling there might be a fair bit of feels. On the yes pile.

DRAMAtical Murder - Shoujo, sci-fi? Ugh there's nothing "dramatical" and there's no murder either. Found it rather dull TBH. On the no pile.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Highschool, comedy. Quite possibly the funniest anime of the season. Girl has crush on boy but is unable to put her feelings into words, turns out he's a mangaka and mistakes her "confession" for being a fan of his work and she ends up kinda being his assistant. The comedy practically writes itself :P On the definitely pile.

Locodol - Idol, music, slice of life, comedy? Hard to categorize this one :P Needless to say it's cute, quite funny and just good light hearted fun. On the probably pile.

Still got quite a few more new ones to try out, there's also some good sequels :D
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:New Sengoku Basara? :O I'm all over that!
I saw that and was "Oh yes!". By the way still waiting for the season 2 Blu ray release from the UK! :evil:
You're watching Muv Luv? That's weak sauce :P There are better booby anime out there, TBH can't do better than Queen's Blade (got that backlogged to watch new season) also Freezing Vibration isn't half bad, pretty graphic battle scenes.
There isn't too much boobage in Total Eclipse to be fair.
Apart from the extremely tight pilot suits and the staple bathing suit episode (with very little bounce), so far the serie's been more into character development and is now moving towards action a bit more. ( I'm at episode 13)

That said, I'm not a big fan of anime that revolves around fanservice and the worshipping of boobs like Queen's blade.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:I saw that and was "Oh yes!". By the way still waiting for the season 2 Blu ray release from the UK! :evil:
Ah, I've got season 2 on DVD. Got the movie on BD though :D
sn't too much boobage in Total Eclipse to be fair.
Apart from the extremely tight pilot suits and the staple bathing suit episode (with very little bounce), so far the serie's been more into character development and is now moving towards action a bit more. ( I'm at episode 13)
Well there's no nude boobage but it's a booby anime as the majority of the cast is female and the majority of those have big boobs. Think I got to ep10 or something, didn't find it very interesting but thought there was plenty of bouncing boobage in those tight suits :P

Momo Kyun Sword - Action, ecchi, comedy. Speaking of booby anime, this is one of those shallow anime with generic big breasted female characters and generic fighting. When the anime opens by saying an old couple found a baby girl in a giant peach whom then grew up to have giant peaches, you know it's only pandering to one thing :lol: On the no pile.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha - Highschool, comedy, fantasy, little echi. Pretty fun but also pretty dumb, guy moves into a new apartment/room only to find a ghost, magical girl, underground person/shrine maiden and aliens all after his new place. Pretty entering at this point, on the maybe pile.

Shounen Hollywood - Shoujo, music. I do like the art style but it just isn't all that interesting, girls will like it for the pretty boys, 'nough said. On the no pile.

Tokyo ESP - Action, sci-fi, fantasy. I like this one, not pulling any punches in the fight scenes, already quite graphic. Good art style and animation, also starts off really quite interesting. On the yes pile.

Zankyou no Terror - Thriller, action. I like this one also, quite dark and kinda mysterious. Really love the art style and animation on this one too. On the yes pile.

Jinsei - Highschool, comedy. Just one of those fun and funny anime really, cute art style too. On the probably pile.

Hanayamata - Highschool, slice of life. This is a pretty cute anime with cute characters and art style/animation (not overly). HNNNNNNGGGGGHHH! On the probably pile.

So seems that Sailor Moon Crystal is a remake starting right from the beginning.

Also Persona 4: The Golden Animation is a remake if Yu (protangonist) makes all the stupid/bad/wrong/troll decisions :lol:
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Majimoji Rurumo - Highschool, comedy, fantasy. The fantasy element is because of witches or singular witch :P It's pretty funny and the art style is quite cute (for female characters). On the probably pile.

Oh, now that I've actually seen the first ep of Persona 4: The Golden Animation it's not "troll Yu" but the New Game+ version. Yu's a lot more extroverted, not stoic anymore and he smiles :P They also introduce a new character to The Velvet Room, as I haven't played the game I don't know if this new character is only a "guide" or if she becomes a playable character. Since it's the "New Game+" version Yu seems to be making decisions that push the story along faster, he shakes the attendants hand rather than the attendant offering first (spoilers: this is how he gets his power but you'd know that if you'd played the game or watched the first series :P), he's confrontational with the d-bag teacher and actively jumps into the TV pulling Chie along with him as well this time (she missed out on the first TV adventure the first time round). Also the fight scenes are that much bigger as you'd expect from being the New Game+ :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:
Shirai wrote:I saw that and was "Oh yes!". By the way still waiting for the season 2 Blu ray release from the UK! :evil:
Ah, I've got season 2 on DVD. Got the movie on BD though :D
Yeah, it is on dvd, but I have season 1 on Blu ray and I find it odd to be forced to buy season 2 on dvd...
Well there's no nude boobage but it's a booby anime as the majority of the cast is female and the majority of those have big boobs. Think I got to ep10 or something, didn't find it very interesting but thought there was plenty of bouncing boobage in those tight suits :P
Well, as to be expected of an anime based on a visual novel a couple of episodes turned the anime into a cliché love triangle dating sim, but the cunclusion looks to be promising at least.
Definitely not a title I'd watch again, though.
So seems that Sailor Moon Crystal is a remake starting right from the beginning.
It is, but unlike the 1992 anime this one will be more true to the manga series.
Also Persona 4: The Golden Animation is a remake if Yu (protangonist) makes all the stupid/bad/wrong/troll decisions :lol:
Sugami wrote:Oh, now that I've actually seen the first ep of Persona 4: The Golden Animation it's not "troll Yu" but the New Game+ version. Yu's a lot more extroverted, not stoic anymore and he smiles :P They also introduce a new character to The Velvet Room, as I haven't played the game I don't know if this new character is only a "guide" or if she becomes a playable character. Since it's the "New Game+" version Yu seems to be making decisions that push the story along faster, he shakes the attendants hand rather than the attendant offering first (spoilers: this is how he gets his power but you'd know that if you'd played the game or watched the first series :P), he's confrontational with the d-bag teacher and actively jumps into the TV pulling Chie along with him as well this time (she missed out on the first TV adventure the first time round). Also the fight scenes are that much bigger as you'd expect from being the New Game+ :P
I've seen a few episodes at a friend's place, it is the game, in anime form, with some added scenes.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

A few? Episode 1 just come out, unless you're talking about the original Persona 4 animation, which I have on DVD :D So Persona 4: The Animation is the like playing the game the first time round and Persona 4: The Golden Animation is like playing the game on your second run through, on New Game+ mode.

So Sengoku BASARA Judge End, huh? It looks like it starts from the end of season 2 and follows on with an alternate ending. I.e. it chose a different ending from the second game and moved onto the third game. This time Ieyasu defeats Toyotomi rather than Date Masamune, there also looks to be a major character death or two at the end of the first episode. Couple of other things I noticed, I'm not sure but it may be a different studio that's picked this up from the previous seasons + movie, the art style and animation look a little bit different. Also this season is a lot bloodier than the rest, nothing all that gorey but there's plenty of blood flying around.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:A few? Episode 1 just come out, unless you're talking about the original Persona 4 animation, which I have on DVD :D So Persona 4: The Animation is the like playing the game the first time round and Persona 4: The Golden Animation is like playing the game on your second run through, on New Game+ mode.
Ah, I appear to have mixed those two up.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Shirai wrote:
Sugami wrote:A few? Episode 1 just come out, unless you're talking about the original Persona 4 animation, which I have on DVD :D So Persona 4: The Animation is the like playing the game the first time round and Persona 4: The Golden Animation is like playing the game on your second run through, on New Game+ mode.
Ah, I appear to have mixed those two up.
Imagine if they did that with some WESTERN shows. Say... 'V'? Although I guess 'Lost' would still be 'Lost' no matter what.

What? They did this with comics you know... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mangaverse (Look up Captain America... )
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Nobunaga Concerto - Historical, comedy, action, CG? TBH I'm kinda half guessing at some of the categories as I only saw 5-10mins worth, I just couldn't get on with the CG, looks really awkward. Basic premise is your typical guy somehow finds himself back in warring states era. On the no pile.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance - Action, fantasy, little ecchi. Very cute art style but TBH that's pretty much all it has going for it, just your run of the mill fantasy anime really. Oh yeah, same tired old "one boy in female school" routine as well. On the no pile.

Think that's it for this season.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

I don't know if we're growing grayer or what... but it does seem that the more recent the offering, the less original it is. The less appealing. Always with the harem/reverse harem, moeblob and the rest. It's like the industry is becoming EA.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Asphe wrote:I don't know if we're growing grayer or what... but it does seem that the more recent the offering, the less original it is. The less appealing. Always with the harem/reverse harem, moeblob and the rest. It's like the industry is becoming EA.
I cannot disagree.
But on the other hand, it keeps the good anime special. Besides the blob fills the coffers up for those precious high budget gems.

And yes, there are those studios that make nothing but blob.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

When you're churning out so much anime these days it's hard to really come by anything really specially but there's usually one or two a season. Like Aldnoah Zero looks to be a really good mecha anime this season. There's also 3 very funny comedies I highly recommend to comedy fans, a couple darker anime for people who like those kind of things and if you're looking to be cuted to death there's a couple in there as well :lol:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Yo Asphe,

Do you happen to know if Tsutaya at Namba still happens to have a BD copy of GitS Arise Episode 3?
I might be picking one up there next Wednesday.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Just call ahead to reserve a copy. Or get it online and do a pickup/delivered?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Asphe wrote:Just call ahead to reserve a copy. Or get it online and do a pickup/delivered?
First would be a possibility if I knew enough Japanese ^^;
The second is indeed a good option if they are out, I'll order it on CDJapan or Amazon jp and have it delivered at my hotel.

(I just favor the charm of picking it up myself, and it never hurts to ask a local if they happen to know if a few are still around.)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Gotta say I'm kinda disappointed with Sengoku BASARA Judge End (now being called End of Judgement). Aside from the character designs being a little off, which I find really jarring, it doesn't have the same charm it used to. Where's Date Masamune's motorcycle horse? All the characters generally seem more angsty than usual plus got the new Ishida guy who's basically the emo-poster boy of the series. It also seems like the third unifier, Ieyasu, is really the only "good guy" and the "main characters" are all making bad or wrong choices. Oh well, we'll see where it goes.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Unfortunately Tsutaya was out, but Disc Pier at Nipponbashi still had loads of stock.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Ooh swag. Oh, Shirai. I was in Amsterdam last week :lol:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Ooooh, fun! What were you doing there?
(I was on London - Heathrow myself last week on the last leg of my trip home.)

On-Topic;
One of my Japanese friends has also recommended me Aldnoah Zero, I must say I do like it.
(Also, one of the female characters in the series is voiced by the VA of Y'shtola)

And RWBY Season 2! <3
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I was mostly getting lost and getting huge blisters on my feet :lol: General sight seeing on my lonesome, I'll have to go back next year but with an actual itinerary and not on my own :)

Aldnoah Zero is looking really good, has a slight Gundam feel to it but has good mecha action and a pretty interesting plot.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:I was mostly getting lost and getting huge blisters on my feet :lol: General sight seeing on my lonesome
Ah, I love doing that!
While company is always nice, sometimes it's great to just go out on your own, think about nothing and just walk.
I'll have to go back next year but with an actual itinerary and not on my own :)
An itinerary, yes, it'll be handy to do that at least once, and/or hop on one of those busses or canal boats.
I do however prefer getting lost myself.
Aldnoah Zero is looking really good, has a slight Gundam feel to it but has good mecha action and a pretty interesting plot.
Yep, I've been liking it so far as well.

Three other titles that have been added to my watching list:

- Zankyou no Terror
- Akame Ga Kill
- Another (An already finished series from my growing pile of Blu Ray disks that I haven't watched yet)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Yeah I hopped on one of those hop on off off buses, a canal trip didn't really seem like something to do solo. I'd like to go on the cocktail canal trip with a friend :P Despite my hotel being in the museum quarters I only went to the diamond museum near by, next time I'll have to go to the other ones as well as that cocktail bar :P

Zankyou no Terror is really good, really liking it so far. Kinda has a Death Note feel to it without the actual Death Note :P

Akame ga Kill I stopped watching, second episode didn't live up to the promise of the end of the first and I needed to cut down on ones to watch :P

Tokyo Ghoul is really good, think you'd like it :D