Summer 2016 Anime Lineup

All your anime and manga needs.
Sugami
Anime cat

Summer 2016 Anime Lineup

Post by Sugami »

http://anichart.net/summer

Can't find a single picture so check out the link :P

I spy Berserk, looks CG, having not seen the original it looks like a continuation but not sure, I'm sure Shirai will know :P

I'm bit late to the party, there's a few that have caught my attention so far but will give a break down later :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Summer 2016 Anime Lineup

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:I'm sure Shirai will know :P
Damn right I know! And yes, it's a continuation of the events past the Golden age Arc but based more on the recent movie trilogy than the 1997 Anime TV series.
(I can explain the major differences on those two if you like.)

That said, going from what I've seen so far I'm quite disappointed...
No, unlike several others, it's not the CGI that bothers me that much, it doesn't look that terrible. The music is ok too, although I still prefer the old OST because that music was brilliant.

No, the biggest disappointment is the fact that they've left several volumes worth of story content and character development out.
With all the available material there is on Berserk they chose to not do an adaptation which comes closer to the actual manga, now don't get me wrong, I completely understand that it's not always possible to do a complete 1-on-1 adaptation and things have to be dropped in production but this is not the case here.
They skipped straight to a point in the story where certain key events which explain some pretty vital things already took place. (Or as this adaptation goes, probably never even took place. Probably leaving people that have never seen or read Berserk before with many unanswered questions.)

I'll keep following it, because I am curious to where it's going and how they are going to do certain events but my advice in this particular case?
Stick with the books! (Or in this case manga) If only Kentaro Miura could put Idolm@aster down for a while... I've been waiting for Volume 38 for over 2 years now...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I quite liked the CG and yes the old music was awesome, I only know of it from the abridged series :lol: I won't be watching Berserk since I haven't seen the original and I have way too much to watch as is :P

91 Days - Action, gangster. Set in what looks like 1930s Italy (guessing somewhere between WW1 and WW2), seems to be quite a dark story but I find it really quite interesting. You won't find many anime like that. I recommend unless you really don't like this kind of anime.

Alderamin on the Sky - Fantasy, adventure. I honestly can't remember much about this anime, think it was rather run of the mill, not bad just nothing that's note worthy. Recommend only if you have a lot of time spare and like this kind of anime.

Amaama to Inazuma - Slice of life. Get your feels ready! Really like this, just a endearing story that'll put a smile on your face. Highly recommend unless you don't like this kind of anime.

Amanchu! - School, comedy, slice of life. Great art style, this anime has a certain charm to it and a little bit quirky. Recommend to fans of the genre and maybe if you don't normally like this kind of anime either.

Ange Vierge - Sci-fi, ecchi. I feel like this was directed J.J. Abrams pervy cousin, there's lens flares everywhere covering up naked girls :lol: Seriousoly 80% of the first episode are the girls walking around naked or in a bath. Really nothing of note worthiness here and the lens flares get annoying quickly. Don't recommend unless you like lens flares :P

B-Project - Music, bishounen, shoujo. This is basically UtaPri but in a slightly different settings. It works for what it is and I'd honestly be watching it if I didn't have UtaPri S3 to watch and a whole bunch of other stuff :P Recommended to anyone without a Y chromosome :P

Cheer Danshi - Comedy, shoujo. Basically an anime about an all boys cheer squad, obviously aimed at girls but I'm torn as it's really quite funny :lol: I'll probably watch another episode to see how I feel. Recommended if you're a girl or like comedies.

Fukigen na Mononokean - Supernatural, comedy, school. Maybe not the most original idea but it plays to its strengths; funny, interesting, just quite an enjoyable show. Recommend to most.

Handa-kun - Comedy, school. Starts off with a great bit of fourth wall breaking, quite possibly the funniest show of the season, really enjoyed it. Highly recommend for fans of comedies or maybe if you don't normally go for comedies.

Hitori no Shita - The Outcast - Supernatural, action, adventure. Okay, not bad but not all that good either. Recommend if you like anime with zombies.

Puzzle and Dragons Cross - Shounen, action, adventure. Obviously aimed at kids, I don't really see any appeal to this anime if you're older than like 12. Only recommend if you're 12 or younger.

ReLIFE - School, comedy. May seem like an ordinary school comedy but wait, there's a twist! The main character is actually 28 years old and unwittingly taken part in an experiment to basically relive his senior year at school. So yeah, good twist, funny show, do recommend :)

Regalia - The Three Sacred Stars - Mecha, action. There was a very jarring shift in tone from the first 5 minutes. The mecha look pretty cool but there isn't really much substance to the show. Recommend only for fans of mecha.

Rewrite - Supernatural? Err, this looks to be one from the twisted minds at Key. Looks pretty interesting, at the moment it's regular school with the odd bit of WTF thrown in but I imagine it'll get weirder and maybe darker as the show goes on. Recommend because Key :P

Scared Rider Xechs - Music, action, superhero. I guess this is kinda like a cross between an idol anime and power rangers :lol: Probably aimed at girls since all the main characters are bishie dudes. I dunno, give it a shot if you think it sounds interesting :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

BERSERK ep 3.
Another episode incredibly different from the Manga, but a particularly short one with a quite extensive tease after the ending sequence.

This might still be salvageable.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Funny, the anime was probably made for Berserk fans but the people who hadn't watched it before may be the ones who like it :lol:

Hatsukoi Monster - Comedy, romance, shoujo. This may seem like your average shoujo anime but here's the kicker, the love interest(s) are grade schoolers :lol: This is wrong is so many ways but it's pretty damn funny. The three male love interests all look like bishie dudes, unfortunately for the female lead she didn't realise the bishie kid she fell for is indeed a kid. This is pretty funny but I'm torn because of just how wrong it is :lol: Give it a shot if you like shoujo anime or if the premise sounds interesting.

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - Comedy, school. Set in an art club in junior high it's just a simple comedy but it works, it's really quite funny. Recommend if you like school based comedies.

Planetarian - Action, sci-fi. First episode caught my attention, will be interesting to see where it's going. Basically it's about an abandoned planetarium and its robot worker in a post apocalyptic war zone. Sound interesting? Give it a shot.

Battery - Sport, slice of life. Rather uninspiring baseball anime, maybe it picks up later, feels like it's more story driven but the story isn't interesting at the moment. There are better baseball anime out there; Big Windup, Princess Nine, Ace of Diamonds, watch those instead :P

Mob Psycho 100 - Supernatural, action, comedy. What happens if you cross One Punch Man with Noragami? Maybe this? The art style puts me off this one, characters just look so ugly. The comedy isn't that funny so it's not really enough to draw you in, the real draw is the action, which I might add is beautifully animated but the story is lacking and the small amount of action isn't enough to keep your interest. And yes it should really be called "Mob Psychic" :P Give it a shot if you liked One Punch Man.

New game! - Comedy. Comedy set in a game dev studio (where all the employees are somehow girls). Pretty funny and interesting though telling a new employee to go learn Maya isn't very realistic :lol: Recommend for fans of comedy and also if you're interested in game development.

Qualidea Code - Sci-fi, action, school. Just another one of these uninspired school action type anime. There's nothing of note worthiness here. Skip.

Servamp - Supernatural, comedy, school. You can guess by the name that vampires feature in this anime, takes them a while to show up though. Starts as a rather uninspired school comedy until the vampire shows up, then it gets a bit more interesting. The main character's got an annoying phrase "I'll do it, it makes sense." or some crap. It doesn't make sense though and is even commented on by his friends. Anyway the draw of him being stuck with this vampire boy is interesting enough and the comedy is quite funny, will see where it goes. Give it a try if you like vampire anime.

Taboo Tattoo - School, action, superpower, touch of comedy. Rather run of the mill other than surprisingly well choreographed fight scenes but it's not really enough to keep me interested, maybe if I had more time. Give it a try if it sounds interesting to you.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tales of Zestiria the X - Fantasy. It's an adaptation of a Tales game, you'll want to watch this :P

Time Travel Shoujo - Err, time travel? :P I get the feeling this is aimed at girls in their young teens, if it was made for an older audience it'd be more interesting as it's about a girl meeting historical inventors, scientists, philosophers, etc. Recommend if you're a young girl or if the time travel peaks your interest.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Tales of Zestiria the X - Fantasy. It's an adaptation of a Tales game, you'll want to watch this :P
Not really interested myself, but my girlfriend might be. Since she claimed my PS4 for weeks to play this.
(I've lost my PS4 to her again now for Odin's Sphere...)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:Not really interested myself, but my girlfriend might be. Since she claimed my PS4 for weeks to play this.
(I've lost my PS4 to her again now for Odin's Sphere...)
:lol: Never played a Tales game? There was an anime of one a while back, can't remember which one, only covered the first half and it had a HUGE twist at the end, was like WHAAAAAAA~! Was a real shame they didn't do the second part of the game.

Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan - Comedy. Comedy about a psychic, it's just so silly and really funny. Highly recommend for fans of comedy and maybe if you're not generally a fan of comedy and want to try one that's a bit different.

Tsukiuta. The Animation - Music, idol, bishounen, shoujo. Much like B Project only this one seems to be centred around a young boy who's sister is a big fan of the group(s). Also CG singing and dancing! Again only really recommend if you're a girl and like bishie idol anime :P

Whew I think that's all of them :D
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote: Planetarian - Action, sci-fi. First episode caught my attention, will be interesting to see where it's going. Basically it's about an abandoned planetarium and its robot worker in a post apocalyptic war zone. Sound interesting? Give it a shot.
I played the visual novel since it was gifted to me by a Japanese friend. (Still have to finish it though..)
I'm surprised they actually made an anime. Guess I'll finish the VN soon, then watch the anime.
Mob Psycho 100 - Supernatural, action, comedy. What happens if you cross One Punch Man with Noragami? Maybe this? The art style puts me off this one, characters just look so ugly. The comedy isn't that funny so it's not really enough to draw you in, the real draw is the action, which I might add is beautifully animated but the story is lacking and the small amount of action isn't enough to keep your interest. And yes it should really be called "Mob Psychic" :P Give it a shot if you liked One Punch Man.
The style is actually ONE's own style, the original One Punch Man web-comic is also atrociously drawn.
The OPM most people know is actually a redraw by Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21 and others).

Sugami wrote::lol: Never played a Tales game? There was an anime of one a while back, can't remember which one, only covered the first half and it had a HUGE twist at the end, was like WHAAAAAAA~! Was a real shame they didn't do the second part of the game.
Vesperia I think, I have it somewhere since she made me download that one too.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:The style is actually ONE's own style, the original One Punch Man web-comic is also atrociously drawn.
The OPM most people know is actually a redraw by Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21 and others).
Good to know bad art can be popular if it has a good story/premise. Maybe I have a shot after all :lol: