Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Autumn 2015 Anime

Post by Shirai »

Things I'm looking forward to from a quick glance:

- Lupin III
- Young Black Jack
- K: Return of Kings
- Owarimonogatari (I should finish season 2 first though, I have the entire thing on Blu Ray but so little time...)
- One Punch Man!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I don't know anything about One Punch Man, looks pretty silly :P

Heavy Object - Action, comedy, sci-fi. It starts very solemn then gets quite upbeat before getting more serious again at the end of the episode. It has peaked my interest. On the probably pile.

Lance N' Masques - Fantasy, comedy. Found it quite amusing, we'll see where the plot takes it. On the maybe pile.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:I don't know anything about One Punch Man, looks pretty silly :P
Having read the manga for a good part; It is very silly, but at the same time it is insanely awesome.
I am really hoping that they won't screw the anime up, but from what I've seen so far it will be great!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I'm going to have to be really picky with my anime now I'm REALLY far behind. Need to trim the fat, so I'll essentially only be saying whether I'll be sticking with it or not.

One Punch Man - Action, comedy, superpowers. Good news, this is pretty awesome. Just gotta love the concept of a superhero who essentially trained too much and got so powerful that all threats to the city/country/planet are trivial to him that he's essentially bored of it now. I think fans of the mundane and silly, along with action and comedy will love this one. On the definitely pile.

Comet Lucifer - Sci-fi, fantasy, action, mecha. Takes a while to pick up but seems interesting enough and the CG looks pretty cool. You might like this one if you like this kind of genre. I'll need to see another episode before deciding whether to stick with it or not.

Concrete Revolutio - Magical girl, superpowers, action, adventure. This one is pretty interesting, does something different with the genre and seems to inject a bit of drama into it as well. Worth a watch and see if you like it. I'll probably keep up with this one.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans - Mecha. I'm not sure whether this is set during an existing time period or a new one, the world seems different as mobile suits don't seem like the usual combat armour. Anyways the animation and art is good, it has a somewhat gloomy feel to it (normal for Gundam). Probably too soon to decide for non-Gundam fans but I'd say Gundam fans will want to watch it. It's Gundam, I'll obviously be keeping up with it :P
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Brave Beats - Kids, music, dance. Yeah heavily aimed at kids, these kind of series are can be light hearted fun but I don't really have the time for them. Don't really recommend unless you like the genre.

Dance With Devils - Shoujo, music, mystery, supernatural, romance? - This one seems to tick a lot of boxes, the art style is very shoujo and the main character is a somewhat plain but pretty girl, there are also 4 bishie guys hence I think there might be a bit of romance with her being sandwiched between them all. As for the music, there are two songs in the first half of the episode :P Oh yeah vampires :P I do actually want to see this but will probably be put on the back burner until I'm caught up with other anime I'm more interested in.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - Mystery. I think we have one for Shirai :D Firstly the art is great and the backgrounds are really quite astonishing. This is basically a murder mystery kinda anime, you won't find many anime like this, has really got my interest and will definitely be sticking with it.

Valkyrie Drive ~Mermaid~ - Sci-fi, fantasy, ecchi. Yeah just skip right past this one, it's the base kind of level for feeding the lowest common denominator. The only good thing about this is Commie are subbing an uncensored version. Would only recommend if you're interested in mindless ecchi.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Sci-fi, fantasy, action, harem, comedy. This is one of those paint by the numbers kind of anime, you've seen it a dozen times before and it doesn't do it any better or different than other. Also light sabre sounds! Only recommend if you like this kind of genre, it's entertaining enough but not worth your time if you need to narrow down your viewing.

High School Musical Star - Music, shoujo. So this is like Dance with Devils only without anything that's interesting. The most interesting thing about this is the lack of a heroine or lead female character for the bishie guys to fawn over, makes me think there might be some homo-eroticism later on. The music is okay but you'll only really like it if you're into boy bands. Only recommend if you don't have a Y chromosome :P

Osomatsu-san - Comedy. The biggest tragedy of this show is the retro look, pity because I just don't get on with the art. The first episode is so damn funny, takes the piss out of Maji Pri and Attack on Titan to name a few before going in to it's retro art that will be the main stay of the show. Highly recommend if you like comedies and don't mind the retro art style.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - Sci-fi, fantasy, action, harem, comedy. Read everything about Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, it's practically the same anime.

Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou - Action, fantasy, comedy. Okay so this is the Attack on Titan spinoff, Titans still exist but rather than eating people they just eat their lunches, making them the tallest bullies ever :lol: If you saw Attack on Titan and thought it was too depressing and needed more comedy then this is for you :P I shall be watching it.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - Mystery. I think we have one for Shirai :D Firstly the art is great and the backgrounds are really quite astonishing. This is basically a murder mystery kinda anime, you won't find many anime like this, has really got my interest and will definitely be sticking with it.
Cool, I'll give this one a try.
Valkyrie Drive ~Mermaid~ - Sci-fi, fantasy, ecchi. Yeah just skip right past this one, it's the base kind of level for feeding the lowest common denominator. The only good thing about this is Commie are subbing an uncensored version. Would only recommend if you're interested in mindless ecchi.
I'm not too much into the ecchi anime but I must admit my GF and I did enjoy Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai quite a lot.
High School Musical Star - Music, shoujo. So this is like Dance with Devils only without anything that's interesting. The most interesting thing about this is the lack of a heroine or lead female character for the bishie guys to fawn over, makes me think there might be some homo-eroticism later on. The music is okay but you'll only really like it if you're into boy bands. Only recommend if you don't have a Y chromosome :P
-skip-
Not even going to recommend this to my SO, she didn't like Free so I am guessing this one is not for her either.

Young Black Jack - Tezuka's Story of Black Jack in his college days.
Pretty much a nostalgia ride. I'm going to follow it for a bit to see how it develops.

If the TV is available... GF just got Tales of Zestria... Bye Bye PS4...
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Ah yes Shimoneta was great, the ecchi wasn't overwhelming and was plot related too. I think the censorship was actually part of the show besides beeping out words, which TBH is funnier when censored :P

Free was that swimming anime, I didn't see the first season so I skipped the second but it actually seemed quite funny. Not what I'd call a shoujo-anime though but I only saw half an episode :P I think my all time favourite shoujo anime are Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club, former has an okay dub where the latter has an absolutely brilliant one.

Subete ga F ni Naru - Slice of life, mystery? It's honestly hard to describe this one from the first episode since it basically boils down to a group of people talking. Saying that it's very wordy, you'll either find this one interesting or boring but it's very different to most of the anime you'll find. I can't really make any recommendations on the first episode but might be worth watching the first couple to see where it goes. I certainly will be.

Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai - Fantasy, action, comedy. This one seems a lot like Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry but with more substance and probably without the harem aspect. Feel like I can get behind the characters more rather than them being your typical cardboard cut-outs of all the different character types you'd expect from this kind of anime. Would recommend if you like action adventure anime, I'll have to watch another episode or two to decide.

Utawarerumono - Itsuwari no Kamen - Fantasy, adventure. It's interesting and somewhat endearing but it doesn't really hold my attention. I'd watch this if I had the time but sadly I do not :( Would recommend if you like this kind of anime.

Young Black Jack - Drama? Seen any of it yet? I'm quite liking it I must admit, the way they make surgery look exciting is quite amusing :P The art is like a hybrid retro and modern style. I'll be keeping up with this one.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Ah yes Shimoneta was great, the ecchi wasn't overwhelming and was plot related too. I think the censorship was actually part of the show besides beeping out words, which TBH is funnier when censored :P
We really had a blast watching it. It even taught us a thing or two. :oops:
And it's an excellent anime to get *ahem* in the mood...
Free was that swimming anime, I didn't see the first season so I skipped the second but it actually seemed quite funny. Not what I'd call a shoujo-anime though but I only saw half an episode :P I think my all time favourite shoujo anime are Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club, former has an okay dub where the latter has an absolutely brilliant one.
From the scenes I've seen the Yaoi is strong in it, not blatant, but very strong. And the fanbase of the series does seem to confirm this.
Young Black Jack - Drama? Seen any of it yet? I'm quite liking it I must admit, the way they make surgery look exciting is quite amusing :P The art is like a hybrid retro and modern style. I'll be keeping up with this one.
*Ehen*
Shirai wrote:Young Black Jack - Tezuka's Story of Black Jack in his college days.
Pretty much a nostalgia ride. I'm going to follow it for a bit to see how it develops.
If the TV is available... GF just got Tales of Zestria... Bye Bye PS4...
Babe's back at her parents for the week and I survived their judgment, I have my PS4 back for Dragonquest Heroes, for now...

By the way, she demanded that I queue Owari no Seraph for when she's with me again, what are your thoughts on that one?
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

In Shimoneta with the student council president... is that drool or something else? God I hope it's drool... (it wasn't :oops:) :lol: The opening and ending songs were really catchy as well :D

Oh I saw what you wrote about Young Black Jack but it seemed like it was your impression from the description and experience from the previous anime rather than experience from actually watching it, if you know what I mean :P

Seraph the End? I saw one episode and it didn't sway me enough to keep up with it but it could have easily gotten better. It reminded me a lot of Attack on Titan, only with vampires rather than titans so you'd probably like it if you like Attack on Titan :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:In Shimoneta with the student council president... is that drool or something else? God I hope it's drool... (it wasn't :oops:) :lol: The opening and ending songs were really catchy as well :D
The scene where she gave the cookies prepared with her "love juices" still cracks me up.
Oh I saw what you wrote about Young Black Jack but it seemed like it was your impression from the description and experience from the previous anime rather than experience from actually watching it, if you know what I mean :P
The episodes I have seen so far are quite based on the previous anime/original manga actually.
Seraph the End? I saw one episode and it didn't sway me enough to keep up with it but it could have easily gotten better. It reminded me a lot of Attack on Titan, only with vampires rather than titans so you'd probably like it if you like Attack on Titan :P
Ok, we'll see.
She saw the trailer and thought it would be a cool series, if not, we'll just drop it.

Big winner this season is still One Punch Man for me.

[edit]
Sugami wrote:Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - Mystery. I think we have one for Shirai :D Firstly the art is great and the backgrounds are really quite astonishing. This is basically a murder mystery kinda anime, you won't find many anime like this, has really got my interest and will definitely be sticking with it.
Watched ep 1 last night, gonna start ep2 in a bit, one thing came to mind directly with this one; Bones

[edit 2]
I'm not sure if I will be sticking with this one, there are several things that bother me very much in this series.

The series gives me the impression that it's targeting a mature audience, which is very nice, but out of nowhere there's this "Magical Girl Transformation scene" when Sakurako puts the rubber gloves on, which makes no sense because there are no supernatural powers involved in this series, at all.
She is very knowledgeable when it comes to forensic science, but that's all there is, there's nothing magical about it, putting on the gloves doesn't suddenly give her any special powers, there is no need for all that fancy stuff and in my eyes ruins the series' credibility.
And then there's the main character, which isn't Sakurako, but this whiny teenager which because he's acquainted to her stumbles upon all kinds of weird cases which he then involves her in. Which also doesn't do the maturity of the series a lot of good.

Episode 1 ends with a lot of questions, which may be answered later in the season, dunno. I was hoping for a continuation of the case in episode 2, but that was a completely new case without even a glance back to the events that took place in episode 1.
And then episode 2 itself had a lot of details that really bothered me, things I'll refrain from saying for now as they are serious episode spoilers but also things severely damaging the credibility of the series.

As it stands now I may give it 2 more episodes to see where it goes, but if there are many things that keep bothering me I'll likely drop it.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Episode 1 is concluded at the end of the episode.
It's not a transformation scene as she doesn't transform :P It just signifies that she's got her game face on really, I get the feeling it will be used a lot in the series.
I have no qualms with the boy :P

Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider is apparently a psychological thriller and mystery, it's just taking it's time to get going. So you might want to jump on board as it may be an interesting ride :)
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Episode 1 is concluded at the end of the episode.
It's not a transformation scene as she doesn't transform :P It just signifies that she's got her game face on really, I get the feeling it will be used a lot in the series.
I have no qualms with the boy :P
Not given up yet, but I do hope the rest puts me over some of the peeves I have with the series right now.
Subete ga F ni Naru:
psychological thriller

Soon
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I'm quite liking Concrete Revolutio, agency for protection of superhumans. It doesn't paint things as black and white but in shades of grey, pretty interesting.

Also Gakusen Toshi Asterisk or Asterisk Wars is the next project by the people that did Sword Art Online, if you liked that you might want to check this out. I still stand by my initial review but it may get better.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

With the season all but over let's take a look back at the anime I've managed to keep up with :)

Heavy Object - I'm glad I didn't drop this one. It's got a good mix of action and comedy, with a smidgen of fan service. The characters are interesting, funny and compelling. The action isn't just Baysplosions and spectacle, there's a good bit of tactics and since it's basically always an underdog kinda story there's always quite a lot peril but it's not unbelievable at the same time.

Mobile Suit Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans - Unlike the last one it doesn't seem to trivialize loss and death, it's much more sober and darker, closer to the usual tone of a Gundam. Definitely not one to miss for any Gundam fan though the story is a little confusing but that might be my fault for watching when I'm half asleep at times :P It pretty much followed expectations from the first episode though currently there's only the one Gundam that's been introduced.

Concrete Revolutio - Really like this one, glad I've kept up with it. Lots of unexpected twists and turns, generally nothing is black and white, they often show both sides of the story. They also tell the story at different points in time, which I think makes it that much more interesting. This one certainly beat my expectations. Also the ending credits are the weirdest I've seen since Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei :P

One Punch Man - Loved it. The mix of the comedy and action and just one-upping itself constantly until the final battle. Also One Punch Man himself is a great character. Had no idea what I was getting into but my expectations were blown away with a single punch :P

Dance With Devils - This is rather amusing but for the wrong reasons. It seemed interesting at first but over time it kinda plays out as a bad fanfic. It's kinda like a musical version of Twilight (not that I've watched any of those movies) but not as crap :P

Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou - Light hearted twist on the original. Does what it says on the tin, happy I'm still watching it.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - Gotta admit I was expecting more detective kinda stuff but I do really like it and Sakurako is a great character.

Young Black Jack - Went into this without knowing anything of the original Black Jack but I'm glad I did. It's kinda amusing how they made surgery look exciting. Quite dark and predictable at places but was good getting to see Hazama's journey from enthusiastic student to jaded intern and unlicensed doctor.

Subete ga F ni Naru - Took a while to get going but glad I stuck around for it, one of the most interesting anime I've seen.

Shomin Sample - Oh I forget to mention is one, just a really funny anime, good comedy to keep up with.

Garo - The Crimson Moon - Forgot this one too, strictly not a sequel as different setting and characters, the art style looks a bit different too. The makai knights aren't as heavily involved in the plot but it's still a good watch.

Bring on the Winter season :D