Battlefield 3

Anything that doesn't specificly goes into one console goes here.
Multi-platform games, regular programs, operating systems, anything.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Battlefield 3

Post by Tivia »

First off, I have been a competition player for a long time. I took a hiatus from Battlefield because the direction that BF2 took was unacceptable from a competition stand point and they screwed over the modding community which without there never would of even Been a BF2.

So BF3, while it was continuing to dick over the mod community was at least looking good from a competition stance. They were offering 2 methods to get it, via origin their version of steam or retail. Being extremely opposed to digital content delivery exclusively and the usual drm associated with it, I chose retail..

Then EA dropped the bomb..Origin would be required to run and play BF3 no matter what version. f*** you EA..Seriously f*** you. That makes the third time this year I have had to walk into GS and cancel a pre-order due to stupid bullshit like this. It is a shame too because I was looking forward to being competitive again. However my tolerance for always on DRM is zero no matter the company.

Assassins Creed PC version Always on DRM = Cancelled. I will play it on PS3 and not deal with any must be connected online bullshit.

Diablo 3 - Again must be connected and another cancelled pre-order.

Battlefield 3 - always on drm, another cancelled pre-order.

Ubisoft, EA and Blizzard..Seriously f*** these three companies for treating their customers like common criminals and punishing them for purchasing the game. DRM does not and will never deter piracy. It has been proven over and over and over to only punish honest customers and not affect piracy in the least. I used to purchase the drm laden game I wanted to play and just download the pirated copy and play that. No more, I do not have the tolerance to continue supporting this anti-consumer behavior and would rather just never play the game. :x
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:First off, I have been a competition player for a long time. I took a hiatus from Battlefield because the direction that BF2 took was unacceptable from a competition stand point and they screwed over the modding community which without there never would of even Been a BF2.

So BF3, while it was continuing to dick over the mod community was at least looking good from a competition stance. They were offering 2 methods to get it, via origin their version of steam or retail. Being extremely opposed to digital content delivery exclusively and the usual drm associated with it, I chose retail..

Then EA dropped the bomb..Origin would be required to run and play BF3 no matter what version. f*** you EA..Seriously f*** you. That makes the third time this year I have had to walk into GS and cancel a pre-order due to stupid bullshit like this. It is a shame too because I was looking forward to being competitive again. However my tolerance for always on DRM is zero no matter the company.

Assassins Creed PC version Always on DRM = Cancelled. I will play it on PS3 and not deal with any must be connected online bullshit.

Diablo 3 - Again must be connected and another cancelled pre-order.

Battlefield 3 - always on drm, another cancelled pre-order.

Ubisoft, EA and Blizzard..Seriously f*** these three companies for treating their customers like common criminals and punishing them for purchasing the game. DRM does not and will never deter piracy. It has been proven over and over and over to only punish honest customers and not affect piracy in the least. I used to purchase the drm laden game I wanted to play and just download the pirated copy and play that. No more, I do not have the tolerance to continue supporting this anti-consumer behavior and would rather just never play the game. :x
EA Just doesn't get it do they? My cousin called me up and said "I cancelled your BF3 Preorder." "Why?" "DRM." "Slap that credit on Mass Effect 3 please." "Beat you to it." She does know me very well.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Well, it's probably the future of PC gaming so time to get out now and stick to consoles if you don't like it :(
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:Well, it's probably the future of PC gaming so time to get out now and stick to consoles if you don't like it :(
I doubt that seriously. There's a lot of other game companies who have rejected the DRM stance. The only 2 seem to be Sony and EA and their only doing it to make money, not stop piracy. And Sony's already shot themselves in the foot.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I don't see where sony fits into the DRM stance, unless you're talking about the recent push towards the required codes for online access.

I can't help but laugh at the response Karou gave though. Mass Effect 3 is published by EA, and if the Steam/Origin problem isn't solved, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mass Effect 3 become a Origin exclusive, especially if they're still debating upon a multiplayer for Mass Effect 3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/06/mass- ... -world-co/ [Note: The article in question is out, though, I didn't bother following what the article says. For all I know, they could be saying that just to get more people to buy it.]

Add in the fact that Dragon Age 2's DLC is Origin Only, can only help cement the ideas that Mass Effect 3 might follow up what Battlefield 3 will be doing. Not to mention, these games are releasing in about the same time.

I'll wait a bit before deciding to buy Battlefield 3, if I even do so. Even tempted to cancel my pre-order for SW:TOR, although that's mostly due to the fact that I'm actually enjoying the crap out of Abyssea, FFXI's got more content to last me until my deployment in March, and I'll probably end up rethinking my PC gaming priority, since every I know on the ship plays CoD: Black Ops on the xbox, rather than the PC (Or PS3 for that matter.)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Not really related God damn EA can't program for sh*t, a bunch of retarded monkeys could do a better job.

Recently I got Bad Company 2 (early bday gift) but I keep getting their BS error "failed to connect to the EA servers", looked it up and it's a wide spread problem that's been going on for 3 years now. 3 whole f-ing years! Why haven't they fixed it yet?! If I want to play the stupid game I have to piss around with the 360 settings for 5-10mins before playing their piece of sh*t game :x
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I Play Mass Effect on 360 Onry. I don't trust EA. My experience with EA PC that isn't broken is NFS World Online and it's pretty broken when a corvette hits you like a sherman tank.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

It's money.

ME3/BF3/etc would still be on Steam otherwise. ME2 sans DLC is still on Steam after all, the DLCs were not sold via Steam for the same reason as the new games are not. Steam wants control over the delivery and update process, including add-on sales. I prefer to buy a game and maybe one add-on pack for it. I don't like to need to buy a dozen DLCs separately, especially if I have to go to a different store. Feels like if Lucasfilm kept releasing the 'theatrical', director's, extended and 3D editions of the Star Wars movies. Then again, at least Lucasfilm doesn't delete my original version of SW to make Greedo shoot first. No wait...

On the other paw, Origin isn't all that bad. It's just a bit cheesy, rather like forcing you to use a particular IM service if you want to use a particular browser. So yeah, I hate it. Especially since all the new games don't enable LAN play without me Hamaching the heck out of them. Infosec is fine with me having WAN access but to enable office-wide BF3 weekend events, I'd have to give dozens of PCs WAN/VPN access too.

Oh well, I'll wait a year or more to see if they change their minds.