Diablo 3

Anything that doesn't specificly goes into one console goes here.
Multi-platform games, regular programs, operating systems, anything.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Diablo 3

Post by Tivia »

Long awaited game by many..I don't believe it requires much explaining.

So I will jump right into it.

1) In game AH that players can make real currency off - Eh, not a huge problem but not a thing I want to see in Diablo.
2) No offline mode, Always on DRM - f*** you Activision /Diablo 3 off the list.

Point 1 I can live with, point 2 is unacceptable and a deal breaker.
Sugami
Anime cat

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Sugami »

If people bitch enough they might change their mind. Capcom was going to do something similar for SSF4 Arcade Edition and the sheer amount of complaining made them change their mind.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

DRM has a weakness. You know what it is, I won't repeat it here, but it's what they did to Assassin's Creed II to make a point. I waited this long for Diabolo 3 only to be required internet to play "offline". IM NOT ALWAYS NEAR AN OPEN WIRELESS CONNECTION YOU IDIOTS! :x
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:DRM has a weakness. You know what it is, I won't repeat it here, but it's what they did to Assassin's Creed II to make a point. I waited this long for Diabolo 3 only to be required internet to play "offline". IM NOT ALWAYS NEAR AN OPEN WIRELESS CONNECTION YOU IDIOTS! :x
I will..Drm only punishes paying customers. It does not and will never prevent piracy. It actually encourages piracy as even legitimate customers don't want to deal with it.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Name any major game whose DRM withstood more than a week past NA retail release. Now compare their piracy rate versus anything released by Stardock prior to Impulse being sold. To give you a hint... not a single one had a lower piracy rate than the most pirated Stardock game at that point. I remember finding Doom 3 on piratebay... over a week BEFORE NA retail.

Frankly, the most successful DRM was the one used in Batman Arkham game... and even that was cracked. I'd rather go with something like Steam, online when you install it or to activate it... and that's it. If you want this cat online, there had better be some grade of catnip not available anywhere else. Pirates have done stuff from private servers to even giving you the pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies MMO... yep, that's for real. Google SWG Emulator.

Or do what the movie folk do. Short release in the theatres, home media release shortly after with extra freebies later. So far, going to the IMAX hasn't been pirated... yet (Apple Stores in Szechuan anyone?). Most games make most of their money in the first two weeks anyway, so they could stand to take a leaf out of Witcher 2's page.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

The absolute best copy protection scheme I heard of was back in the DOS days. Dongle era.

I forget the game but it came with some neat toy that sat on your (crt) monitor. It was neat enough that people would buy the game just for the toy. And I guess the game, although quite playable, wasn't as exciting as the toy, because people who downloaded the pirated version almost always bought a legal version. For the toy....

:lol: :rofl: :lol:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

The Toy..

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I remind you of the Genesis "DRM". From Sega Retro Wiki:
TradeMark Security System
Tmss.png

The TradeMark Security System (TMSS) was a feature of Sega Mega Drive motherboards ensuring games which were unlicensed by Sega (and thus not receiving the Sega Seal of Quality, which was attainable through a fee paid to Sega) were not playable. Though TMSS was not produced in whole until late 1992/early 1993, the necessary code was in programmer documentation as far back as 1989. Some early games that did not implement TMSS in full consequently did not work in newer board revisions.

TMSS works by simply requiring instances of the SEGA trademark to appear in various memory locations (see below). Should an unlicensed game appear on the market, Sega could exert its rights over the SEGA trademark and sue the developer for trademark infringement.

The legality of this system was challenged in the United States by Accolade in the court case SEGA vs. Accolade, which ruled in Accolade's favor. The verdict set a precedent that copyrights do not extend to non-expressive content in software that is required by another system to be present in order for that system to run the software. While the system was never challenged elsewhere, Sega did not enforce it after the Accolade case, and consequently several unlicensed game developers started popping up.

In order for software to run on a Mega Drive/Genesis with a TMSS built in, the software must do two things:

have either the longword whose bytes represent ASCII string "SEGA" in big endian at ROM address $100 OR the five bytes " SEGA" at the same address — this is checked by the TMSS ROM and is the source of the "Produced By or Under License From Sega Enterprises Ltd." message.
write a long word containing "SEGA" (all caps) to address $A14000 a short time after the Motorola 68000 resets. If the game fails to do this, the next VDP data port access will cause the 68000 to lock up — this is done by the I/O controller.
The sample code in the official programmer documentation has this part skipped on boards that report themselves as revision 0; the effect of doing this write on a revision 0 board is unknown.

Known official games without support

This list is incomplete; please add to it if you find something missing.

Space Harrier II Japanese launch cartridges (skips step 2)
Super Thunder Blade Japanese launch cartridges (skips step 2)
Juuouki Japanese cartridges with revision 0 (skips step 2)
Osomatsu-kun Hachamecha Gekijou all cartridges (skips step 2)
Alex Kidd: Tenkuu Majou all Japanese cartridges (skips step 2)
Phantasy Star II: Kaerazaru Toki no Owari ni all Japanese cartridges (skips step 2)
Super Daisenryaku all cartridges (skips step 2)
Budokan: The Martial Spirit all US cartridges (skips both steps)
Populous all US cartridges (skips both steps)
Zany Golf all cartridges with revision 0 (skips both steps)
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Easiest way to get past piracy would be to make game only purchasable from Steam, or is that still crackable?

As much as I hate Steam it's probably the easiest and least painful way to combat piracy.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:Easiest way to get past piracy would be to make game only purchasable from Steam, or is that still crackable?

As much as I hate Steam it's probably the easiest and least painful way to combat piracy.
That is also the quickest and easiest way to alienate customers.

I own exactly two games on steam..both of them are Portal. As soon as I beat those, steam got uninstalled.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:
Sugami wrote:Easiest way to get past piracy would be to make game only purchasable from Steam, or is that still crackable?

That is also the quickest and easiest way to alienate customers.

I own exactly two games on steam..both of them are Portal. As soon as I beat those, steam got uninstalled.
And for those of us who A) Don't know what steam is and B) Perfer to support the GameStop Powerup Rewards program.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I have 20k points..and nothing I really want. :(
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Two problems with Steam.

a) they are not perfect and when they screw up, their CS is about as good as a major corp... it sucks.

b) their 'DRM' is just as crackable as any other. In a lot of cases, even easier.

The main thing though, is they give you a 'so-so' level of DRM which is not too annoying and make up for it with extra services that provides a 'cloud' like experience, from things like a 'Friends' list/etc. Plus it's like a 'Walmart', you can get almost everything you want there ... and all your friends are there too. Kinda like a XBL for PCs. So for those who like Steam, they tend to buy more games on it, despite the annoying DRM. I know a few players who think EA is the devil but still buy EA games... on Steam. Steam tends to encourage people to buy legitimately and more often. (Mind you, they can eat up to 35% of your gross, they are no angels)

But since their DRM isn't that annoying, a lot of publishers insist on additional DRM, i.e. Steam + Sony's Securom active on the same game. If your connection to the local Steam server isn't that good... you may not be able to play. They've improved a lot... but still. Some games though, dropped their own DRM and just went with Steam and that's a plus in my cat-nest.

-----

Ideal DRM? How about being able to download ALL my games... OPTIONAL automated patching/etc. But to play, I have to plug in a dongle or even better, key in a RSA cipher (just like the SE token) when I log in. This way, when I want to play on a different computer, I log off the current machine and just login to the new machine. Key in my cipher and I'm good to go. No need to deactivate/activate and yet the publishers knows that a dozen pirates aren't 'sharing' the account.

Would be nice if my game settings were stored online too, profiles and whatnot.

Which is kinda what Steam does. When it works perfectly that is. And the game only uses the Steam DRM. And if Steam allowed me to 'sell' my games, even if it's only to another Steam subscriber... or how about 'lending' a game. Yeah, like that will ever happen ^-^.

There's a service where you subscribe and then be able to play any game in a library. You don't even need a PC, just a Set-Top Box and some controllers and a TV set. Think of it as you using Remote Desktop/Citrix to play video-games.

-----

I still have this DRM device. It's a piece of polarized plastic that you hold up to the display unit to unscramble an image onscreen and type the result in. Each game would get a customised Lens-Lok.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Steam is direct to drive???? That's what that is? Oh puh-lease. So much easier to scan my Power Up Rewards Card and get points. :P
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »