Project? HALP!!!

Anything that doesn't specificly goes into one console goes here.
Multi-platform games, regular programs, operating systems, anything.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Project? HALP!!!

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

A friend gave me a ASUS K8N-DRE - motherboard.

It has a pair of Opterons, as best as I can figure, 2200, 1mb L1 cache. It can take dual core Opterons but seems to be limited to 400 MHz DDR SDRAM, although it will hold an ungodly amount of RAM of that style in 8 slots.

Other than that it has limited expansion slots, 1 x PCI Express x16 1 x Mini PCI 1.

Worth playing with? Anyone have any leftover DDR SDRAM? How about CPU coolers that might fit? Power supply with a 24-pin main power connector?

And what OSs support dual CPUs?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Re: Project? HALP!!!

Post by Tivia »

It isn't just that it is DDR, it being a server board requires matched pairs of ECC Registered memory. Those are getting extremely hard to find and rather pricey.

I think the short of it is, even with dual cpu's it really isn't going to yield very good performance for anything other then server applications. Vista Ultimate and 7 ultimate "Might" support those, but I am pretty certain you have to use a server build.

If you have the stuff laying around, sure it is worth playing with. If you have to go start purchasing stuff, to be honest not really. I still have a couple of dual opteron servers on that board and I will be incredibly glad when I get authorized to get rid of them.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Interestingly enough I think I can get dual cores for that thing for as low as $20 each.

And I keep thinking that with a 1/2 way decent vid card (I think that's all that will fit anyway) would blow the doors off my current rig in XIV.

Ah well, getting a laptop that can run XIV at medium in any event.

But I am going to need a dedicated media machine, HAVE to get off the Dish.

So.... ECC Registered memory did you say...?

:?:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Interestingly enough I think I can get dual cores for that thing for as low as $20 each.

And I keep thinking that with a 1/2 way decent vid card (I think that's all that will fit anyway) would blow the doors off my current rig in XIV.

Ah well, getting a laptop that can run XIV at medium in any event.

But I am going to need a dedicated media machine, HAVE to get off the Dish.

So.... ECC Registered memory did you say...?

:?:
Opteron's and the hardware they run on are in no way optimized for gaming. You might be surprised to find that performance will be bad....really really bad.

Just for ease of comparison.

Ignoring everything except the motherboard, cpu's and ram since the rest you have or would be buying anyhow.

Motherboard free
Cpu's $20 ea $40 total.

Ecc if you can find it for 4gb what you need usually $30/gb $120

total $160

Performance potential? completely terrible.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal ... mbo.660291
This from a 10 second search, quad core with honestly more computing power then those 2 opterons combined anyhow. While I normally hate biostar, it is easily equal or greater then the board in discussion. $144

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231253 4gb of ram, again not my preferred brand but trying to be as close to apples to apples as possible. $40

Total $184 and will completely destroy the opteron setup in raw performance. Not to mention be upgradable, which the opteron is EOL and you are essentially maxed out.

So, old hardware is fun if you have everything already not so much beyond that.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Thanks Tivia.

:)

xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »