Square Enix Unveils Dragon Quest X Online

Everything Nintendo!!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Square Enix Unveils Dragon Quest X Online

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

It isn't for the PC, but we don't have a Wii section under gaming.

Sankaku Complex article: Warning, site NSFW
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Re: Square Enix Unveils Dragon Quest X Online

Post by Fiye »

I thought that's what the nintendo section was for. ^^;

Honestly, I'll keep an eye on this. Would be interesting to see how Nintendo is able to apply its Wii U networking with a MMO, or if they'll just let DQX be backwards compatible Wii game on the Wii U.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

:?: Despite having mod and admin rights here I can't figure out how to move a topic.

So much for abusing superpowers....
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I has helped you there, mew.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Dragonquest MMO - ears perk..

Only on Wii/wiiU - nevermind.

I see that failing miserably.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

:lol: Wii has pretty bad online features, but I guess if the game takes care of everything it won't matter as much.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Tivia wrote:Dragonquest MMO - ears perk..

Only on Wii/wiiU - nevermind.

I see that failing miserably.
Much of Japanese Dragonquest fandom seems to have that EXACT same reaction.

Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote::lol: Wii has pretty bad online features, but I guess if the game takes care of everything it won't matter as much.
One major unavoidable problem...

The wii controller and the complete and total lack of keyboard support. That effectively renders an MMO unplayable.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sounds like two major problems (three if you include the crappy online), well guess you're forced to buy their wiicontroller.

Just a horrible idea putting it on the Wii but guess they want to try a different market rather than competing with an already existing ones.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I called it one since I lump input devices all into the same group for this. A Terrible method for input that cannot be overcome is the generalized problem vs the itemized I posted.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Is Square-Enix conducting an experiment on how to NOT make money? Wii Onry? I only use my wii for Zelda. And Super Mario All-Stars.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:Is Square-Enix conducting an experiment on how to NOT make money? Wii Onry? I only use my wii for Zelda. And Super Mario All-Stars.
They already did that for PC, it is called FFXIV. :rofl:

I guess this is their consolized version of the same test.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:Is Square-Enix conducting an experiment on how to NOT make money? Wii Onry? I only use my wii for Zelda. And Super Mario All-Stars.
They already did that for PC, it is called FFXIV. :rofl:

I guess this is their consolized version of the same test.
The entire Game Industry has suffered a De-Evolution of Intelligence.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Karou Ariyen wrote: The entire Game Industry has suffered a De-Evolution of Intelligence.
:rofl: :lol: :rofl:

I :love: this comment.

But really something else is happening here. And not just to Squenix.

Today's games have a number of components. Plotting, puzzles, graphics, and fanservice to name but four. There are more but I am several tequilas into my evening so I will stick with these.

Plotting... Nothing new here. I mean nothing new can be invented in plots and hasn't been since long before Shakespeare. He stole EVERY ONE of his plots. And got the writing down better than everyone he stole from. Except perhaps Aristophanes. But that's another story. (Play?) The way the plotlines are presented can vary quite a bit. And add or detract from your personal gaming experience. But NEW? Sorry.

Puzzles... Squenix has a problem with puzzles. Its called guides. They and their loyal fanbase got so used to guides that often there is often literally no way to solve a puzzle in game. You HAVE to use a guide or a wiki. FFXI even has HIDDEN quests. You don't know you have them. They don't show up in your log. Red beauties indeed.....

In general they are little rewards in a lot of games, solve one and feel good. All games have them, even FPSs, most have BIG IMPORTANT puzzles somewhere. Presentation, solvability, and rewards are really all that differences them. FFXI: use the wiki to solve, AoC: presented with naked boobies, ... see my drift here?

Full disclosure: I quit Fallout II at the final puzzle. Despite a 2 percentile IQ I didn't see a way through that puzzle without a guide. I looked at the guide. I tried to reverse engineer the answer. I saw no way to get through it except by save, trial, and error. Left as bad a taste in my mouth as the ending of Bakshi's Wizards.

Graphics... I think the advances in graphics have been driving the whole fricking gaming industry for almost a decade now. And almost nothing else. Once DVDs were out and the amount of content that could be put in a package matched or exceeded what you got in a paperback novel.... Well what else IS there?

Look at FFXI and FFXIV. XI's were the best of that generation's graphics. XIV's are flat outstanding and horridly demanding. Are they $500 worth of computer better? Have I bought games just for the graphics? Have you?

Fanservice, the final frontier... Anyone else here read Sankakucomplex? I have had this NEED for a Japanese culture fix since the '80s and Mangajin. Today its Skk. While the Japanese seem to enjoy more ... IDK how to say this, kind a dose of reality in their fantasies not unlike what Marvel's silver age introduced to US comics, what drives sales there is fanservice. The single most innovate, and perhaps best received, game in the last year or so was Catherine(Catherine figure, probably NSFW). Reminiscent of a certain '80s quatersnatcher in the way it climbs, great puzzles, Ummm plot? Does it have a plot? Serious question, haven't played it, just read about it. And NO ONE EVER MENTIONS A PLOT.

Full disclosure: I still have all of the bikinis I got in XIV. And do notice the difference between XI's swimsuits and XIV's bikinis.

Look, this isn't just in games in the 21st century. Way back in the 1960s it was known that if you wanted to sell a magazine put a pretty woman on the cover. Didn't mater if you were selling it to men, women, or model train enthusiasts. Just get a good looking woman on the front.

No conclusion, this isn't a proper essay, just a few thoughts. I may well revisit or expand on these subjects later.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Graphics... I think the advances in graphics have been driving the whole fricking gaming industry for almost a decade now. And almost nothing else. Once DVDs were out and the amount of content that could be put in a package matched or exceeded what you got in a paperback novel.... Well what else IS there?

Look at FFXI and FFXIV. XI's were the best of that generation's graphics. XIV's are flat outstanding and horridly demanding. Are they $500 worth of computer better? Have I bought games just for the graphics? Have you?
You gotta admit though, Miqo'te look a hell of a lot cuter than Mithra :love:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I built this current gaming rig for XIV's graphics. So yes. I have bought a game for the graphics. But even more so, I can out perform most computers on NFS World Online. I can do things with this rig that gives me an advantage in races, i.e. seeing further ahead.