FFXIII 2

For all your playstation needs.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

FFXIII 2

Post by Tivia »

So, we have our first real look at the new FF based on FFXIII. We all I am sure have our immediate reservations recalling the horror of X-2, but I gotta be fair and give it a chance to prove it sucks first.

So...http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318198/e3 ... Bstory%3B2

My take aways;

First the negative.
I really dislike the feather leg cover thing on lightning which looks like a direct tribute to X-2. This is the first thing that stands out to me like a BIG RED FLAG OF OF f*** ME. However, the rest of her outfit change is really really well done.

They made a promise of making this more player driven and less story driven. This to me has the potential to be both positive and negative. I didn't find the linearity of FFXIII to be a bad thing in the long run, though it certainly could have been a little less pushy about it. I really enjoyed how the story was pushed to be honest, so we will see.

No Fang or Vanille - ok yes this was a given but it still sucks. Two of the best characters since Aeris and naturally they kill them off. Oh well at least they didn't do it midway through the game where she was your only main healer and left you completely unexpectedly fucked for the next 4 hours panic grinding up a new healer.

Now the positive.
I like the similarities between noel and squall I see, this is a good direction.
I like the reintroduction of some of the faces from XIII that had potential to be good characters. I am curious if they share more spotlight this time?
Current lack of hope and snow - God I hated them...quite possibly more than yuffie.
Stagger system and paradigm system appears mostly intact. I enjoyed both this and the ranking system. This allowed players who didn't care to just press on. While allowing super picky people like me to say "Oh, 4 stars my ass!, Redo!".

So the short of it is I am interested. I remain a little gun shy though given the X2 reference. Hopefully that is as far as it goes and I will make a determination by the time it comes out.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Re: FFXIII 2

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:So, we have our first real look at the new FF based on FFXIII. We all I am sure have our immediate reservations recalling the horror of X-2, but I gotta be fair and give it a chance to prove it sucks first.

So...http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318198/e3 ... Bstory%3B2

My take aways;

First the negative.
I really dislike the feather leg cover thing on lightning which looks like a direct tribute to X-2. This is the first thing that stands out to me like a BIG RED FLAG OF OF f*** ME. However, the rest of her outfit change is really really well done.

They made a promise of making this more player driven and less story driven. This to me has the potential to be both positive and negative. I didn't find the linearity of FFXIII to be a bad thing in the long run, though it certainly could have been a little less pushy about it. I really enjoyed how the story was pushed to be honest, so we will see.

No Fang or Vanille - ok yes this was a given but it still sucks. Two of the best characters since Aeris and naturally they kill them off. Oh well at least they didn't do it midway through the game where she was your only main healer and left you completely unexpectedly fucked for the next 4 hours panic grinding up a new healer.

Now the positive.
I like the similarities between noel and squall I see, this is a good direction.
I like the reintroduction of some of the faces from XIII that had potential to be good characters. I am curious if they share more spotlight this time?
Current lack of hope and snow - God I hated them...quite possibly more than yuffie.
Stagger system and paradigm system appears mostly intact. I enjoyed both this and the ranking system. This allowed players who didn't care to just press on. While allowing super picky people like me to say "Oh, 4 stars my ass!, Redo!".

So the short of it is I am interested. I remain a little gun shy though given the X2 reference. Hopefully that is as far as it goes and I will make a determination by the time it comes out.
My Biggest And Only comment reguarding this is:

FINAL FANTASY X-2 :tsk:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I know, it scares the absolute crap out of me too. Given SE's recent track record I am struggling to remain optimistic. I will be hard pressed to buy this on release.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

After the disappointment I've had in most of the games from SE in the last few years...
I'll wait...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Moved this topic where I meant to post it.

It is a sad day when this forum has become as jaded as we are against SE. :(
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Moved this topic where I meant to post it.

It is a sad day when this forum has become as jaded as we are against SE. :(
I'm not against Them. I just do not support direct game sequels. I made an exception for Advent Children because as a MOVIE not a Game, it was well done. The man who brought Cloud's voice to life was a brilliant choice. Crisis Core, as a PSP Prequel, was solid. It filled in the gaps left in FF7's main background story. To finally see Zack and Cloud's relationship was amazing.

But X-2 had nothing to do with X. I have very little doubt for XIII-2 not just based on it being a sequel, but on the basis of: I HATED XIII!!!! I did not enjoy that game one bit. The first true final fantasy game that made me just give up on it. I had given up on VIII back in the day until 4 years ago when I was playing it out of boredom and got hooked. XIII is just a flop across the board imho
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Different taste I suppose.

I loved XIII, also loved VIII. IX was the one I utterly loathed outside of X-2.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Different taste I suppose.

This is like Halo: Combat Evolved 10th Anniversary Edition being programmed by 383 instead of Bungie. I'm going to have to wait and see what SE does. But in the back of my mind, I'm sandbagging my trenches and preparing for the worst heh.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tivia wrote:It is a sad day when this forum has become as jaded as we are against SE. :(
It's not being Jaded against SE, it's the fact that a lot of games that I have bought and played in the last few years have been utterly disappointing.
Including a whole bunch of games released by Square-Enix.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Shirai wrote:
Tivia wrote:It is a sad day when this forum has become as jaded as we are against SE. :(
It's not being Jaded against SE, it's the fact that a lot of games that I have bought and played in the last few years have been utterly disappointing.
Including a whole bunch of games released by Square-Enix.
I enjoyed Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Oddyssey. I know the latter isn't SE, but it was the original development staff of FF 1. So there's my technicality link.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:
Tivia wrote:Different taste I suppose.

This is like Halo: Combat Evolved 10th Anniversary Edition being programmed by 383 instead of Bungie. I'm going to have to wait and see what SE does. But in the back of my mind, I'm sandbagging my trenches and preparing for the worst heh.

I completely agree.