Rock Band 2 - PS3 & 360

For all your playstation needs.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Rock Band 2 - PS3 & 360

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Wait 360?! Karou you're in the wrong forum. No I'm not. I am focusing on PS3. But my review pertains to 360 as well. Why? Because I play Rock band Night at my local pub with my hubby, our bands RL drummer and her b/f. Our band is dressed like KISS (only better) with full attention to our real band, which is Goth.

Enter Pentagram.
Me - Guitar
My Hubby - Drums
Our Drummer - Bass (Jamie)
Her b/f Toby - Vocals

I loved Rock Band 1 and I love 2 Even more. I have a new aftermarket PS3 Controller, The BC Rich Warbeast Axe. Full Size like the real guitars (I Own a real Warlock) And a nice goth design to it. My review of this guitar is it's solid, weighs like the real thing, so if you are not used to a real guitar's size, go buy a padded strap. Like the stratocastor controller I have knobs to change my whammy bar sounds. Well built and I'm at home with a full size controller. I'm a real guitarist. Doesn't bother me.

My Hubby has the ION Drum Set. His review was that the footpedal holds up better because it's got dual springs on the side that take the load evenly as opposed to Harmonix single center sprung pedal. He also would like me to note that he uses all 3 cymbol set ups. He absolutely loves this drum kit. It's around 110, pricey but worth it if you're into drumming.

My friend Jamie sat down with me today prior to this post and reviewed the Mad Catz Full Size Bass Guitar Controller. Jamie isn't a bass player, she can't play guitar to save her life. She's a drummer, but she was impressed by the Bass Controllers weight and size and replica control scheme to a real Fender. She's had a lot of fun with it and recommends it to gamers who want a full size controller and not some small toy.

IDC About mics so Toby you're out of luck. The band mode is well set up and the customization is top notch as are the graphics. What I like are several things:
  • When looking for Overdrive notes they appear white and visible
    Using Overdrive doesn't change all notes on the screen to an impossible to see color
    The Highway clearly shows the Solo section eliminating the wonder of "did I just screw up?"
    No obnoxious "Hot Start" or "Note Streak" Pop ups like GH
    The Overdrive Highway Overlay blends nicely with the blue solo section/base groove section or normal highway
    Big Rock Endings. Always Fun
Now let's talk about what I don't like.
  • I don't like the Percentage Box during the Solo section on the screen, It distracts and interferes with my gameplay.
    The star meter up in the upper right hand corner is also a tad annoying.
    When you play solo and let the computer be your random band mates, they have men singing chick songs and chicks singing mens songs. They don't swap the gender out like GHWT does.
    Single Tracks to start are not my cup of tea. I like 3-6 song gigs on each section.
    No Beginner mode like GHWT so newbies and kids beware and stay away.
The music is good, although playing Eye of the Tiger and Beastie Boys 9 dozen times gets old real fast. And Spirit In The Sky is not a song I Like. DLC Is there and Who can resist Stephen & The Colberts?!

I haven't done any multiplayer outside each band at the pub pops their memory sticks into the PS3, sets up and outdoes the other bands. Each band member has a monitor to watch and the pub viewers can watch on a large screen TV.

Overall Rock Band Enhanced the original experience and made it look much more appealing then Guitar Hero ever will. I will update with Rock Band: AC/DC later next Week.

Rock Band 2 Scores 8.5/10 Karou's. For PS3 & 360. NOTE: I use Harmonix Stock 360 Controller until the warbeast can be brought out on 360.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |