Meowing Anime

All your anime and manga needs.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Meowing Anime

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:No it's not niche but rather than the general public starting to like it I think it's more of a case that the "otaku" group has grown to quite a sizeable amount. The people that like anime/manga are "otaku", sure there might be the odd person that doesn't mind the odd anime or manga but in general the majority of the people who do like it are "otaku" to some extent.
I think we both have a differen perception of the term otaku.
To me, the otaku is the smallest group of anime fans and also the group I find most scary.
Also if you take the litteral translation of otaku it means fanatic, and fanatic is close to extremist.
No they won't strap explosives around their their bodies or anything, but they do treat anime and manga like it is a religion.
Yes, even on our convention we have a few running around, easily recognizable by their shabby and pale looks, the way they talk (or rather avoid 3D humans) and let's not forget how they smell...

The rest is either "The anime fan", knows a bit about it, but mostly just enjoys watching it but watches western cartoons and tv series just as easy.
Among these there's a huge variaty but I won't go too deep into that now.

And "The general public" which nowadays occasionally buys a Ghibli or other accessible title like Summer Wars or The girl who leaped through time to watch with the kids.

Of course the biggest market is The anime fan, but a big part of the animefans watches dubbed anime. (Yes, it is true the biggest part of anime fans (~85%) watches dubs.)
For the people that watch Anime in Japanese a part knows nothing about the japanese language. (keep in mind that honorifics confuse the shyte out of those people.)
The part that keeps demanding honorifics in translations is only a small group.
Also a convention specifically for homosexual anime and manga? Can't say I'm all that surprised considering it's in Holland :P
Let me fix that statement because it is both wrong and insulting.
Even though the major part of the genre is indeed H or even ero, and the minimum age to be allowed to enter that convention is 18+, the convention is more about shounen and shoujo ai, so no, you won't find an ear of corn being shoved up a guy's rear end by another guy or those kinds of perversities.
Also also, "lazy"? Expect me to search through my library of burnt anime to find Witch Hunter Robin and watch through it until I find the right episode? I don't think so :P
You came with the dilema, you give me sauce! Lazy cat!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:I think we both have a differen perception of the term otaku.
To me, the otaku is the smallest group of anime fans and also the group I find most scary.
Also if you take the litteral translation of otaku it means fanatic, and fanatic is close to extremist.
No they won't strap explosives around their their bodies or anything, but they do treat anime and manga like it is a religion.
Yes, even on our convention we have a few running around, easily recognizable by their shabby and pale looks, the way they talk (or rather avoid 3D humans) and let's not forget how they smell...

The rest is either "The anime fan", knows a bit about it, but mostly just enjoys watching it but watches western cartoons and tv series just as easy.
Among these there's a huge variaty but I won't go too deep into that now.

And "The general public" which nowadays occasionally buys a Ghibli or other accessible title like Summer Wars or The girl who leaped through time to watch with the kids.

Of course the biggest market is The anime fan, but a big part of the animefans watches dubbed anime. (Yes, it is true the biggest part of anime fans (~85%) watches dubs.)
For the people that watch Anime in Japanese a part knows nothing about the japanese language. (keep in mind that honorifics confuse the shyte out of those people.)
The part that keeps demanding honorifics in translations is only a small group.
That's why I used quotation marks and said "to some extent" :P To the "outside world" anyone who likes anime is considered an "otaku", heck I'd consider anyone who goes to conventions an "otaku", I'd consider myself an "otaku" as well. The extreme I'd probably call a Japanophile, the group you'd consider to be an "otaku". In my eyes there are varying levels of "otaku".

Still I'd have thought the most casual of otaku would know about honorifics and the odd Japanese word, kawaii desu ne~? :P Maybe just the Japanese, they're own fault if they're too stupid to pick up or even lookup honorifics after watching anime in Japanese for a while :P
Let me fix that statement because it is both wrong and insulting.
Even though the major part of the genre is indeed H or even ero, and the minimum age to be allowed to enter that convention is 18+, the convention is more about shounen and shoujo ai, so no, you won't find an ear of corn being shoved up a guy's rear end by another guy or those kinds of perversities.
It was my understanding that yaoi and yuri are genres of hentai. If it was just shounen/shoujou-ai you should have just said so :P
You came with the dilema, you give me sauce! Lazy cat!
Piffle, make your own sauce :P
I can tell you of another anime that had to deal with -chan, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Nene would call Leon with the chan honorific, to which Leon didn't like. In the dub she'd say Leon-poo, Leon-peon or other things, which as funny as they are are more insulting than tagging -chan on the end, even though they were terms of endearment. The sub I believe actually wrote "chan".
Baccano! sub writes -san where they just ditched the honorifics all together in the dub, makes sense considering the setting.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:That's why I used quotation marks and said "to some extent" :P To the "outside world" anyone who likes anime is considered an "otaku", heck I'd consider anyone who goes to conventions an "otaku", I'd consider myself an "otaku" as well. The extreme I'd probably call a Japanophile,
Oh boy, then I wonder what catagory you shove me under. :oops:
I organize anime conventions, visit other conventions, go to Japan "regularly" (once or twice every 2 years), have been part of anime distribution in the past, both legal and in the earlier stages less legal (fansubs) and even have a decent understanding of the language.
(I wouldn't go as far as saying I speak the language because I don't.)

Other then that I hardly watch any anime these days, mostly because I don't have time for it but also because I find most of the anime released these days utterly craptastic.
the group you'd consider to be an "otaku". In my eyes there are varying levels of "otaku".
For me otaku is nearly the most extreme form, only topped by Weaboo and Hikikomori.
Still I'd have thought the most casual of otaku would know about honorifics and the odd Japanese word, kawaii desu ne~? :P Maybe just the Japanese, they're own fault if they're too stupid to pick up or even lookup honorifics after watching anime in Japanese for a while :P
"Desu ne" has a translation actually, namely "is it not?" or "are they not?".
Neko ha kawaii, desu ne? - The cat is cute, is it not?
Otaku ha zetai-ni kowaii desu ne? - Otaku are truly/absolutely/incredibly scary are they not?
Piffle, make your own sauce :P
I can tell you of another anime that had to deal with -chan, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. Nene would call Leon with the chan honorific, to which Leon didn't like. In the dub she'd say Leon-poo, Leon-peon or other things, which as funny as they are are more insulting than tagging -chan on the end, even though they were terms of endearment. The sub I believe actually wrote "chan".
Leon sweety~
Leon dear~
Leon hun~
Leon hunny~
Leon (insert name of cute tiny animal)~
Baccano! sub writes -san where they just ditched the honorifics all together in the dub, makes sense considering the setting.
*goes to watch it again*
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:go to Japan "regularly" (once or twice every 2 years)
So jealous D:
For me otaku is nearly the most extreme form, only topped by Weaboo and Hikikomori.
Can't say I've heard "hikikomori", googled it to be Japanese for "social recluse" or something to that effect. Not necessarily associated with anime/manga. Don't get me started on "weeaboo" or whatever. Nerds making up derogative slang for another group of nerds, who's the real loser in this case? :roll:
"Desu ne" has a translation actually, namely "is it not?" or "are they not?".
Neko ha kawaii, desu ne? - The cat is cute, is it not?
Otaku ha zetai-ni kowaii desu ne? - Otaku are truly/absolutely/incredibly scary are they not?
Well, yes and no. I'd say the closest translation to "ne" is just "right?" but from what I understand it's like asking a question where you expect them to agree, almost rhetorical. "Isn't it?" seems like a genuine question. Should point out I was using "kawaii desu ne" as the limited Japanese that some "otaku" know :P
Leon sweety~
Leon dear~
Leon hun~
Leon hunny~
Leon (insert name of cute tiny animal)~
Ehh... doesn't really fit the character. She's late teens talking to a superior and elder, "chan" is used in a rather child-like way and the kind of things you're suggesting makes it sound like they're a couple :P There is really no way you can translate "chan" without changing the meaning/context/whatever a little :oops:
*goes to watch it again*
I'm watching it through in Japanese now after watching in English and the commentary :D It's the Japanese culture that's mixed in with the dialogue, as calling someone by their given name with no honorific would be disrespectful (if you weren't close to them) but at the same time "Mr. Luck" would (practically) never be used in America.

Edit: Episode 6 Ladd calls Jacuzzi with the "-kun" honorific, why is that? They're certainly not friends so "-san" would be more appropriate, to me it seems like he's using it in an almost sarcastic way, looking down at Jacuzzi by being "chummy". This kind of subtlety is lost in translation so it's good to actually see it on the screen to reinforce what you just heard.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Shirai is an otaku. Sugs is not. Well maybe...

In JPN-land, otaku = pretty extreme fan. i.e. people who would pay 200k for a guitar signed by the VAs of K-On for example but Shirai would count too since he spends that much effort/time/money on it... but in a positive sense. To be called an otaku in Japan... it is somewhat derogatary. Something your parents would hope you never get labeled with. Typical of how a term has different degrees of meaning across different cultures.

In NA-NA-land, otakus are anyone who watches anime and you are all weirdo/stalkers but it's not considered that derogatory. I would call myself an otaku in NA, never in Japan. Just like anyone who steals a postage stamp (by accidentally stepping on it) and plays Counter-Strike is a delinquent made violent by playing violent video games if Reuters/CNN gets a hold of it. Perspective... and popular perception of it.

In the meantime... did you see those Trekkers in their Klingon get-up? Lol...
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Yeah I always use "otaku" in the non-JP sense since the literal meaning isn't related strictly to anime/manga. I've been to two conventions but that was like 8 years ago or so :(

I find it funny how Trekkers don't like being called Trekkies, did they not coin the phrase themselves? Ones derogative whilst the other isn't apparently but they both sound the same to me :P

Back to Baccano! Miria likes to end her sentences with "ne" or "da ne", half the time not even "translated" the other time it's a simple "huh?" It's just the way she speaks, she's not really asking a question or seeking confirmation.

Also I'm sure you know this but "baccano" means "ruckus" or the like in Italian :D
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Asphe wrote:Shirai is an otaku.
:o :cry:
In JPN-land, otaku = pretty extreme fan. i.e. people who would pay 200k for a guitar signed by the VAs of K-On for example but Shirai would count too since he spends that much effort/time/money on it... but in a positive sense.
To be called an otaku in Japan... it is somewhat derogatary. Something your parents would hope you never get labeled with. Typical of how a term has different degrees of meaning across different cultures.

I hope that amount is Yen, still a lot of money but more towards an affordable amount.

The term Otaku is kinda derogatary here in Holland too, of course there are a lot of younger anime fans going around that are proudly calling themselves Otaku but we of the "older" generation like to avoid calling ourselves that because as I said before, the people we refer to as Otaku come with a severe lack of social skills and personal hygiene on top of "specific" behavioural patterns.
Behaviour patterns which even forced us to guide some of them from our conventions with the help of professional security. Permanently.

Shortly said, Otaku is not the kind of personality I want to be associated with, even though from an outside point of view I could be considered one because of the passion I have for this hobby.
In NA-NA-land, otakus are anyone who watches anime and you are all weirdo/stalkers but it's not considered that derogatory. I would call myself an otaku in NA, never in Japan. Just like anyone who steals a postage stamp (by accidentally stepping on it) and plays Counter-Strike is a delinquent made violent by playing violent video games if Reuters/CNN gets a hold of it. Perspective... and popular perception of it.
In the meantime... did you see those Trekkers in their Klingon get-up? Lol...
Ah, the other cosplayers.
But to be bluntly fair, there's people like that in every community.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJrNDONICxE

"OTAKU!"
"OTAKU!"
"I've never seen one!"

:lol: Slight irony as Greg Ayres (voicing Kaoru) saying that last line has obviously seen plenty due to the conventions he's been a guest at :P
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdYWyBO6dfc

Ending credits for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, rather dark for a magical girl anime :oops:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/wcs/2011/e/?p=411

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!
(Yes, that's our con)
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо