FFXIV Keyboard vs Controller

A place to talk about... anything!
Red_Xix
Kitten

FFXIV Keyboard vs Controller

Post by Red_Xix »

Has anyone noticed any glitches using a keyboard vs a controller? I used a keyboard for the first month, then got an Xbox controller (Wireless) and saw an improvement. 0_o "odd..." I went back to a keyboard to see if it was just an update or something, and sure enough, "Yup" the controller runs the game "smoother" than a keyboard.

When using a controller I dont get the lag when walking/running around, when targeting, ext... but when I use the keyboard I do get lag when walking/running, and targeting ext... Is anyone getting the same thing? If so, why do you think that is?

Note: I have used three keyboards to see if it was just the board that was bad, and no. All three keyboards run the game lag-y. And with all three, when I switch to the controller it runs much MUCH better.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Re: FFXIV Keyboard vs Controller

Post by Asphe »

No, it's normal. "Normal" that is, basically the communication between the game and controller is far more frequent and hence responsive.

Didn't you use a controller in FFXI? In many ways, going from keyboard to controller to keyboard in FF online is like going from mouse to joystick in a flight-sim.

The 'disadvantage' is that you need to 'drop' the controller to type. If you do not use a controller and want to know what this is about... right-click somewhere on screen and hold. Then move the mouse around. It's rather like a FPS setup and you may notice that the 'lag' is gone, as compared to using the keyboard to pan or move the camera around. There are some registry hacks to micro-manage the keyboard settings but it's a pain to do.... now if only we could remap keyboard controls (or buy a G19 keyboard)...

Windower, where for art thou...? SE still sucketh.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Asphe wrote:Windower, where for art thou...? SE still sucketh.
Not coming, they got a C&D from SE...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

when I type enter on the chat bar, it moves my character around.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

huh, that's weird. enter doesn't make me move around.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Changing your polling rate on the usb port your keyboard is plugged into to 500mhz eliminates all the lag fyi. This is a trick that top tier gamers have used for many years now to boost performance.
MikaMeow
<Insert Title here>

Post by MikaMeow »

How do you do that? And what if your keyboard isnt USB?
The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.
Image Image
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

MikaMeow wrote:How do you do that? And what if your keyboard isnt USB?
If your keyboard isn't usb then it is long beyond time to upgrade... :shock:

As for how to do it.

http://tinyurl.com/2coxchz
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

:rofl:

:rofl:

Wow, that is a truly awesome site, I will have to remember that!
-Keerith
See you later, space cowboy!

[FFXIV: Keerith Galeo, Priestess of Ormagöden]

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Changing your polling rate on the usb port your keyboard is plugged into to 500mhz eliminates all the lag fyi. This is a trick that top tier gamers have used for many years now to boost performance.
I have my keyboard setup on that profile. I wonder if windows is overriding the Lycosa Profile settings back to default. I'm going to call Razer in the morning and ask them.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

hmm, tivia.. is your avatar your aion lady? i recognize that dress. i had it on mine in aion..
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:
Tivia wrote:Changing your polling rate on the usb port your keyboard is plugged into to 500mhz eliminates all the lag fyi. This is a trick that top tier gamers have used for many years now to boost performance.
I have my keyboard setup on that profile. I wonder if windows is overriding the Lycosa Profile settings back to default. I'm going to call Razer in the morning and ask them.
Yes It has provided me with much entertainment as well as information!
Cealia wrote:hmm, tivia.. is your avatar your aion lady? i recognize that dress. i had it on mine in aion..
Yes, yes it is.
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Tivia wrote:
MikaMeow wrote:How do you do that? And what if your keyboard isnt USB?
If your keyboard isn't usb then it is long beyond time to upgrade... :shock:

As for how to do it.

http://tinyurl.com/2coxchz
I see no reason to add an additional keyboard to my laptop. However, I have been experimenting with a wired 360 controller for XIV. Number one reason is I don't need focus to keep moving, fishing, fighting, etc. I like to alt-tab a lot >.>
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

I've got a 360 controller, but I never got around to setting it up on my computer. How's it doing?
-Keerith

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Plug it in, setup the gamepad settings in config, and done. Was a bit tricky finding the right key setup, and I'm two buttons short, but it's nice.

If your controller becomes unplugged, you have to restart the game or switch to kbd only. That's kinda lame.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Mystiana wrote:Plug it in, setup the gamepad settings in config, and done. Was a bit tricky finding the right key setup, and I'm two buttons short, but it's nice.

If your controller becomes unplugged, you have to restart the game or switch to kbd only. That's kinda lame.

The Instruction manual even has instructions for setting up and mapping controller keys. I tried to keep everything like it was for FFXI on my PS2 controller, easier for me to rememebr.
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

I'll need to play with it, then. Obviously put the menu, passive/active mode, and select buttons on there but what else? :)
-Keerith

Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Karou Ariyen wrote:
Mystiana wrote:Plug it in, setup the gamepad settings in config, and done. Was a bit tricky finding the right key setup, and I'm two buttons short, but it's nice.

The Instruction manual even has instructions for setting up and mapping controller keys. I tried to keep everything like it was for FFXI on my PS2 controller, easier for me to rememebr.
What is this 'manual' you speak of? Oh, the pretty paper padding that came with the game?
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Mystiana wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:

What is this 'manual' you speak of? Oh, the pretty paper padding that came with the game?

well whatever it was, the insert in the dvd-rom box. I remember seeing a controller diagram for mapping.