GT's take on FF14

A place to talk about... anything!
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Re: GT's take on FF14

Post by Fiye »

dragonblue wrote:
Fiye wrote:O,o Dragonblue. You're in Great Lakes.

What are you assigned to do there?
I am here completing ET "A" School. Electronics Technician. Just finished the other week so now I'm waiting for orders. =)
Nice! Just what my dad did in in the Navy.

Oh, good thing you finished to. Oh god, the winter in Great Lakes SUCKS. Got to experience sitting out in the snow during graduation from Bootcamp December last year.

And also, woo ET! I have some same Rate, though, I'm a Nuke ET. Got my freebie E-4 promotion in June upon completion of A school.

Just 9 more weeks of C school, and prototype!
Arietta
Kitten

Post by Arietta »

I didn't have that many issues with aion other than geting sick of the grind in the 40's. As far as eq goes I didn't start until kunark came out, but people i've met who played it at the start say it was really really bad until some things got fixed.

If they fix/add content like they did for ffxi in the first year then i think ff 14 will fair well, but most mmo gamers don't give games a second chance. It's likely it will drop down in users like war,aoc, aion did because atm it has some issues, but then thats just the trend in todays mmo market other than wow it's just a bunch of small niche games which isn't a problem unless the devs were hoping for more. Btw cryptic is the biggest joke of an mmo developer.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Aion wasnt that bad, but YMMV depending on your server. I know I was level 25 by day 2 so significantly ahead of the bulk of people without any major server issues. The only real issue Aion had from the start was server Queues, which was resolved by never logging off. Which of course contributed to the problem, but I digress. :rofl:

EQ was a pretty rough launch, I was there for that as well. However That is over 10 years ago, and it isn't really fair to compare launches that many years ago to current. The MMO market has changed significantly.

Fact is, Se made some mistakes with this game that they should of known better. It doesn't stop it from being a good game, actually I think it is a fantastic game. However I want people to remain vocal about the very real problems the game has so SE gets the message and gets them fixed. If I honestly had any doubts as to SE's ability to resolve stuff, I never would of bought the game much less two CE copies. I played it in beta and was well aware of the issues beforehand. However SE remains one of the "Few" companies out there that I have faith in their ability to listen to the community (even if they take their sweet time) and fix the stuff that needs fixing. It will not happen though if people do not remain vocal and make sure SE knows they can and will take their money elsewhere.

Lets detail the list so everyone is clear.
-The current market system or lack of is completely unacceptable in a modern mmo on Launch day. There are FTP MMO's coming out with more robust market mechanics.
-The server performance is dismal by even launch day standards. Having skills literally take 4 or 5 times their advertised cast time to fire off should of been resolved in beta. The server crashes I can forgive as that is normal launch jitters. I don't know what they changed from beta but in beta I could chain my heals without issue. In launch I can literally put a stop watch to my heals and a Minimum of 4 seconds will transpire before the game recognizes the keystroke, and another 15 will pass before it fires off. That is nearly 19 seconds for a 1.5s cast time spell and that results in people dieing. Now when the server is taking a dive and I am seeing 2k+ pings I understand this, however when I am staring down my usual 44ms ping, that is just bad server code.
-The ui system is terrible. This is usually overlooked in most MMO's because you aren't forced to do everything through it like SE has done. It cannot be overlooked in XIV because SE chose to force everything through the menu system. To be clear I am not questioning the decision as I realize it was for consoles, I am just stating that the performance is a major problem. Couple this with glaring omissions such as F key targeting and the lack of <stnpc> for healing and you have a system that is extremely cumbersome. Given how well on average the UI worked in XI, I am more then a little surprised at how badly this one was done.

These are the major glaring issues that SE needs to fix and quickly. SE has a great game here, there are just a handful of issues holding it back. I deliberately omitted things such as the leve timers and such as while I believe they need adjustment, I feel they fall behind the above categories in importance. If the above issues are resolved, I would be able to deal with the rest as it is "tuned" and I suspect most other players would as well. Right now I believe most of the complaints with the game are just the total frustration of everything compounding that is the real issue. Remove the major stressors and allow players to really experience the game, and everyone is going to be much happier.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I don't recall the EQ launch being that rough. Maybe it's not fair to compare EQ1. Let's Compare EQ2 Than. What the hell? The reason I ended up on FFXI was EQ2's horrid launch. Half the game was broken at launch. EQ2 drove me from my passion for EQ1.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
MikaMeow
<Insert Title here>

Post by MikaMeow »

I was there at EQs launch, and aside from connection problems, I don't really remember anything that bad happening.

XI I was there for launch too, and I always thought it was one of the most stable games I'd ever played. In 6 months or so of playing it, I only recall it actually crashing like 3 times. But of course it had launched 6 months or a year earlier in japan. Always wishes that they had opened a couple new servers at NA launch. I never like starting a new game on a established server.
The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.
Image Image
dragonblue
Kitten

Post by dragonblue »

Fiye wrote:
dragonblue wrote:
Fiye wrote:O,o Dragonblue. You're in Great Lakes.

What are you assigned to do there?
I am here completing ET "A" School. Electronics Technician. Just finished the other week so now I'm waiting for orders. =)
Nice! Just what my dad did in in the Navy.

Oh, good thing you finished to. Oh god, the winter in Great Lakes SUCKS. Got to experience sitting out in the snow during graduation from Bootcamp December last year.

And also, woo ET! I have some same Rate, though, I'm a Nuke ET. Got my freebie E-4 promotion in June upon completion of A school.

Just 9 more weeks of C school, and prototype!
Ooh good lord a nuke :P
Hheheh I've been in for 4 years come december so ya be nice to finally get my 3rd class. This is my 2nd time sitting through great lakes winter. So where you planning to go afterwards?
Phantasy Star Online- Bluefire 188 HUnewearl
World of Warcraft- Sethos 80 Human Rogue, Selentha 80 Draenie Shaman, Hallotta 80 Human Death Knight, Fishslapper 70 Human Warrior
Starcraft- dragonblue/ League of Legends- dragonblue15

Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Tivia wrote:Lets detail the list so everyone is clear.
-The current market system or lack of is completely unacceptable in a modern mmo on Launch day. There are FTP MMO's coming out with more robust market mechanics.
-The server performance is dismal by even launch day standards. Having skills literally take 4 or 5 times their advertised cast time to fire off should of been resolved in beta. The server crashes I can forgive as that is normal launch jitters. I don't know what they changed from beta but in beta I could chain my heals without issue. In launch I can literally put a stop watch to my heals and a Minimum of 4 seconds will transpire before the game recognizes the keystroke, and another 15 will pass before it fires off. That is nearly 19 seconds for a 1.5s cast time spell and that results in people dieing. Now when the server is taking a dive and I am seeing 2k+ pings I understand this, however when I am staring down my usual 44ms ping, that is just bad server code.
-The ui system is terrible. This is usually overlooked in most MMO's because you aren't forced to do everything through it like SE has done. It cannot be overlooked in XIV because SE chose to force everything through the menu system. To be clear I am not questioning the decision as I realize it was for consoles, I am just stating that the performance is a major problem. Couple this with glaring omissions such as F key targeting and the lack of <stnpc> for healing and you have a system that is extremely cumbersome. Given how well on average the UI worked in XI, I am more then a little surprised at how badly this one was done.
- Square Enix knew the market had to be fixed in beta. They didn't get it done. It upsets me that they even got to beta with such a foolish system in mind. I guess they thought we wouldn't mind checking 2000 retainers for a piece of cloth. Right...
- Server performance I can forgive. They didn't quite get the numbers right at launch, as shown by the "omg, remove the server from the list" idea, because people don't play MMOs to play with their friends, they just want to play, right? Oh wait... -.-
- UI is horrid, it lags with the game, and was something they felt would make it easier to prevent hacking. We'll see if it pays off. I have to admit that playing with a controller is much more enticing now, but I haven't tried it yet. Mostly because my desktop doesn't have front USB ports.
- Key point: There has to be a question of if the same team truly worked on this as XI. There are major elements in XI that we take for granted that are not here. F-keys (granted, 15 ppl parties makes it harder), <stpc> and other assorted aliases, lsmes, search, the inability to promote or exile without FINDING THEM FIRST, the [mostly fixed] broken chat system. The team has nine years experience working on an MMORPG and it doesn't show.

I can't figure out why.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I agree with Myst.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Right I am in the same boat, I just cannot for the life of me figure out why some things are the way they are. Even IF they had only limited contact with the XI team, the UI/Chat/Bazaar systems don't make the slightest bit of sense.

So I am like the two of you, just flat out confused how the game got to this point.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Hopefully, South Carolina Prototype.

Thereafter all I'm guaranteed is getting pushed out to a carrier. I'm hoping to get stationed in Japan, but I'll take what I can get.

Even if I get stuck on Mobile Chernobyl (USS Enterprise) it won't be so bad. Since I'll be on its last Sea Tour, following watching the thing get torn down at a shipyard.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

the video in the first post is well, one of Metallica's best songs "Sad But True". That being said, I am sure given time we will get the the patches and updates everyone wants... how long will it take? We can only hope.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting