A decision I am considering

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

A decision I am considering

Post by Tivia »

I wanted to toss this out as I recall a few folks mentioning at some point they had spent time in japan.

Work for me over the past year has been a rollercoaster. I lost my job of 5 years earlier this year due to a company merger that went very ugly. since then I have been working for another company which now has shut its doors without warning leaving me jobless for the second time in 7 months. First that is frustrating because it is almost bloody christmas, second it is frustrating because the job econ sucks right now, and last it is frustrating because pre-interview a job only 6 months on the resume looks terrible.

I have dabbled with the idea of going to japan for some time now. While I would prefer it in my own career area, at this point my Japanese is just not good enough. I am almost able to pass JLP1, but not quite. One really needs to pass JLP2 to honestly find work. However I have been thinking about eikaiwa which is going over as a contract teacher for 1 year to teach english/grammar. fluent japanese is not require for this, as you are teaching more conversational english and grammatical structure or so I have heard. Naturally I would be looking at dedicating as much time to improving my japanese skills as I could.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? and or in living in japan in general? I would mostly like to know is a 270,000yen Salary livable? or are we talking bare necessities here? While I am still actively seeking employment here, right now the prospects are looking fairly bleak. I figure if anytime is a good time to throw a little change in my life, now would be it.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Don't ask me. I've been applying and applying to Top Secret in Japan as a mechanic and keep getting my application denied :cry: For those who don't know Top Secret is the most elite of all custom car groups. My friend Aayami works for NEC as a tech support manager. Most ppl got layed off except her because she knows how to train people.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I hope that "sallery" isn't for a year, nowhere near covering living expenses if it is.

Tokyo is a very expensive place to live but if you could goto Okinawa or someplace it'd be better.

My cousin went to Japan to teach people English, not sure how long she was there for but she left with even less money than she went with :(
Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Post by Leane »

google says 270,000 yen is just under 3,000 UD$
which isn't a lot for year, better hope thats for a month, or something, or your expenses are covered or something
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Good luck kitty.

In general, people who go to Japan to teach English don't make much money, but that is not the reason they do it.

The people I know who have done it, and I know no one who has taught there in at least a decade, say if you want good pay get a contract with a private school. Sounds kinda impossible before your first trip. And I believe that is good only by comparison with the pay you get your first trip.

Still, no one who has taught there comes back with tales of starvation or sleeping in the streets.

Research will be your best friend.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I have been to Japan, and I am going again in February and August.
But for vacation purposes only.
I have no idea on how it is to live there.
But as far as working and living there goes, I´d say wait a bit.

Currently Japan is having a financial recession which makes stuff more expensive but also makes finding a job more dificult as a foreigner.

Secondly 270.000 Yen is $2900 at this point.
Even on a monthly wage it is not much there, Japan is expensive to live and travel in.
A Long stay apartment would be your best bet but that alone comes to a 21000 yen a week or $230 weekly and that's just the apartment.
Then the travel cost, if you just need the subway it's not too bad.
You can get an Icoca or Suica depending on the region you're in.
The metro system is fairly cheap, however if you need to travel by train (JR) that's a whole different story.
Most of Japan's rail system is covered by JR, and traveling with them is extremely expensive if you are not visiting the country as a tourist.

Aside from that, add food, drinks and other monthly expenses.
And trust me it's hard to keep your hand on your wallet if you are a gadget freak in Japan.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Some clarification

270,000yen per month
Apartment is provided, at a deduction of 55,000 yen per month
Transportation is provided
It is for a private school
Working Visa is provided
And they generally take you around, get you setup with a bank account, cell phone and all the necessities.

I did some calculations and if I got everything I wanted as far as internet/utilities etc. I would have right around $1200/mo left over, however all of that is before taxes and I have yet to find anything on what the tax rates are. So that could quickly dwindle that $1200 down to nothing fast. I am still researching it, and part of the reason why I tossed a post here just to see if anyone had any experience with it. I am a total gadget freak and that spells serious trouble for me which is a concern as well. I am also really big into fine cuisine so that presents yet another dilemma.

I have not made any decisions one way or the other yet, This is just an idea I have been tossing around.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tivia wrote:I am still researching it, and part of the reason why I tossed a post here just to see if anyone had any experience with it. I am a total gadget freak and that spells serious trouble for me which is a concern as well. I am also really big into fine cuisine so that presents yet another dilemma.

I have not made any decisions one way or the other yet, This is just an idea I have been tossing around.
I'm sorry that the only experience I can give you is that of a tourist's POV.
However consider my warning about being a gadget freak a serious one.
I am one myself and whenever I went to places like Denden town in Osaka or Akihabara in Tokyo I really had to restrain myself.

All in all a 35 pound package made it's way home through mail in the end with goods, cd's, games and books well worth ~700 Euros.
And that was only from a 2 week vacation.

I am excited about februari myself, yet I'll need to watch myself.

All I can say is, consider it well and there have to be some forums out there with people that have actual experience with what you want to do.

For now:
http://outpostnine.com/

Read this, it's a pretty humoristic blog of an English teacher in Japan and what he had (has?) to cope with.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

That the one about the black guy with the kids trying to grab his wang?

Seems like a pretty good deal, of course you won't get rich from it but sounds like a good experience.

I'd expect actually being in Japan will help you learn the language much quicker than trying to learn it at home too.

I had a tour guide when I was in California say how he tried getting work in Japan but since he had an American accent he couldn't get much English speaking work as they wanted people with British accents so he ended up working in a bar :lol:
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Sugami wrote:That the one about the black guy with the kids trying to grab his wang?
I loved the little part when they were trying to poke his ass. I forgot what it was called, but the day it happened to him. He was never the same xD.

And Tivia, I'd say hang out in the Americas a bit longer. What you're suggesting isn't the brightest thing to do. I wouldn't say America is in a recession (yet). More like we just crapped out pants at a dining table. Things are still going on as normal, but we're trying to keep the others from smelling our sh*t.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Fiye wrote:
Sugami wrote:That the one about the black guy with the kids trying to grab his wang?
I loved the little part when they were trying to poke his ass. I forgot what it was called, but the day it happened to him. He was never the same xD.

And Tivia, I'd say hang out in the Americas a bit longer. What you're suggesting isn't the brightest thing to do. I wouldn't say America is in a recession (yet). More like we just crapped out pants at a dining table. Things are still going on as normal, but we're trying to keep the others from smelling our sh*t.
Even though I keep trying to get hired by Top Secret. I'm staying where I am. Business isn't as good because of the rising costs, and for that our holiday bonus is out the window because my boss felt us having a 401k plan and a PPO Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance was more important for us then to live in blingy mansions. Times are tough for the whole shop but we're surviving. WCR Tuning's Black Ice Sale. it's only 10 percent off, but we're doubled up on orders. Enough to survive the winter. I've been jobless around the holidays before, I know what that's like. I dont' know how bad it is around now though, but even if you do have a job, sh*t just hit the fan.

Stick around here for a while, you never know what you'll find. Remember things happen for a reason, so if for some reason you don't go, you'll know it was because you aren't supposed to go there.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Fiye wrote:I wouldn't say America is in a recession (yet).
They have recently looked at just how the feds have buggered up the inflation numbers. If you use objective measures to judge inflation, rather than the government's highly subjective ones, we are not in a recession, we are in a depression. It changed from a recession to a depression about two months ago. It was a recession for over 10 months before that.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

I realize its not the same experience and 5+ years ago to boot, but from my experiences in Korea ( Soeul, the capital and Pyongtaek which is a smaller city) the program you're talking about sounds like a decent deal.

Soeul (pop: 48Million+) was more expensive by far than Pyongtaek (pop: maybe 30k total)- which seems pretty typical world wide. :lol:

Typicallly, housing, utilities, food and gas are the biggest expenses in Japan/Korea. Our dinky little 3 bedroom apartment in a decent area was 900,000w- not including electricity or heat- at the time which today is about $660 dollars. On the economy purchases for "western" food is very expensive. Milk, red meat and cheese were usually 3-4x (or higher) the price of the commisary on post was- and smaller packages.

Things like clothes, local foods/vegetables, tv and internet are easier on the wallet.

Our cable TV (basic) was $5 bucks a month (3,000w at the time) and internet $20.

Farmer's markets are very popular in Korea- in our area there was a farmer's market every 10 days that filled 5 streets with vendors with everything from meats, fish, rice, kujo peppers to textiles and flowers. Great great place to pick up seasonal veggies and fruits.

Alcohol ranged from very very cheap to ungodly expensive. Just depended on what you wanted to drink.

Clothing was easy- almost every store would custom tailor clothes to fit you or make to order that day or within 24 hours.

Electronics and gadgets varied really, depending on what you wanted. Computer parts were easy and cheap to pick up- but we were over there when the PS2 hit Asian markets and that was around $950 USD after the exchange rate. Cameras, CD Players and Cell phones were cheaper though.

Also- its usually possible to haggle/bargain. Except for chain stores you could generally talk down the price of everything.

Personally, I'd say consider it. It'll be a good experience, look good on your resume, let you improve your Japanese and you'll be working. One of my friends was laid off last April and it took him months of searching to find a comparable part time job in his field.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

The place I just moved in with my hubby and our friends is a 2 bedroom Coach House Apartment. On the third floor is a second apartment that is still for rent. Our home is landmarked, and we have rented both garages down below the second floor for our vehicles. Total price 1250/mo split 4 ways. They needed a new apartment and ours was roach infested.

We live in Old Chicago in the Lincoln Park area. Organic Farmer's market's are there every weekend. We go there and get great deals on food. It also helps to bike everywhere too.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Decision time.

Decided against this route. Simply put there are two groups to go into japan with. Group 1 that would let someone like me career change, and they would train me. The downsides being I am at their mercy for a year and not exactly making enough for a family of 3, though It could be swung with some extremely strict budgeting. Or group two which requires US teaching degrees and actually pays well, as well as it family oriented. What really rather sealed the decision for me was the expectation of me being a "Salesman" outside teaching hours to sell school stuff. Sorry but once I am clocked out, my time is My time unless you are paying me for on call or OT.

Right at this stage, my family is not ready to simply pack up and move to another country. As such I will continue seeking employment here stateside. So Japan will have to remain a planned vacation type event for the time being. Now I just gotta find a bloody job before my ffxi sub runs out, because I am not a tv watcher and I am just bored to tears otherwise....That and waiting 10 days for my computer to be shipped is wreaking havoc on my chocobo. :x
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Pickup date Dec 21

Schedule for delivery Jan 7

Man, this is the last time I use a moving company. Not one single thing they told me was truthful.

1) they give me a "Binding not to exceed contract" but by reshuffling my items and making it seem like I have more stuff then I do, they triple the price of the quote claiming I did not give them accurate inventory, nevermind the fact that I moved 9 months ago and handed them the Exact same inventory I took then and I have not bought anything new (Money I don't have and had to borrow). In the interim I have no choice but to pay and fight them legally once I have my stuff.
2) Told me pickup no later then 2pm, didn't show till 7pm. I had an 8 hour road trip to deal with so leaving at 5pm vs 10pm is a VERY significant difference.
3) Broke multiple pieces of furniture, after being told Multiple times by me not to take it apart as it was hand made and NOT designed to disassemble. Not withstanding the fact that I have moved said pieces myself 5 times and shipped cross country without a single scratch.
4) Dropped my PC...after I told them to be exceedingly careful as this is not a walk into bestbuy and pick up off the shelf piece of junk. I hope to god it works when it gets here tonight, otherwise I am screwed because my Life is on that machine. It got packed under no other choice as a dodge stratus with 2 adults, 1 2 year old, 2 cats and just the Bare minimal essentials to survive left no room for the computers.

So all is said and done..I am out over $3000 more then I could afford, I would have moved myself for under $800 had they been honest. My computer is possibly destroyed. A handmade family heirloom is potentially destroyed, various other pieces of furniture are damaged. On top of all of that, due to the situation of lowing my job on short notice with no severance (Company bankrupted) these jackasses take advantage of the fact that I am under stress, trying to contend with an upset 2 year old that all her stuff is being boxed, and that I don't fully understand how it all works. decided to screw me into a corner by demanding over 3 grand at 10pm at night with my townhome dark and empty with the power, water and everything turned off, a screaming mad 2 year old, and me with no other choice.

That's fine..once I get a job and get back on my feet these assholes will indeed get theirs.

Oh I will likely not be on FFXI for a bit, my sub expires in a few days and baby necessities are > game subs for the moment.

YaY fun. :P
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

When my hubby and I and our roomates moved into this Coach house apartment in Old Chicago we decided to avoid a headache. We called PODS. they shipped a pod to our apartment then the same one to my friend's parent's house where she packed her stuff in. Then we had them hold the pod in storage for a couple days while State Farm insurance guy came to check out the place to make sure there was no need to have to call in repair teams. Once that was done, PODS came by, dropped our pod off and we moved the stuff in ourselves.

The only complaint was that they were late to pick up the pod which wasn't there fault since we did this just before the Ice storm hit and they had problems getting onto our street. Some people have bad experiences with them. I haven't actually.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Did you pay them up front? Can you like... not pay them? :oops:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Holy, that is some misfortune there!

If it were me in that position I would definitally find out what my rights are in this situation.
I do hope you saved all documents.

1) A contract is binding which means they do not have the right to put even a single dollar on top of the amount you agreed to pay them.
They can refuse to do the job, or refuse to take along any item you haven't declared.
But they do not have the right to single sidedly raise the price.
Aside from that 3 times the price agreed upon smells fishy.
(Once again I hope you have the contract with prices agreed to on paper together with the agreed upon inventory that is to be moved.)

2) They broke a verbal agreement, at least in Holland also a verbal agreement is binding.
Unfortunately verbal agreements are hard to track legally.

3 & 4) What kind of moving company is this?
I have never heard of such rough treatment of goods by any certified moving company.

About your data, I would not worry too much.
Even if they did break some of your hardware, unless you didn't mount your hard drive properly, your hard drive should be able to absorb a few shocks.
Even if they dropped the PC from 1.5 meters.

The entire situation:
If it were me I would not pay any bill until they pay for the repairs or replacement of any goods they've broken.
Any certified mover should have an insurance policy for that.
Aside from that, the contract has been breached single sidedly for an in my eyes vague reason.
All I can say again is, seek legal aid regarding this one and hold off any payment towards them until everything is cleared up.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

What Shirai said- just the fact that they were that late could be viewed as them breaking the contract if they didn't notify you of the change. Definetly fight that when you're able too.

Sadly I've heard of other moving companies doing the same sort of shady business- quoting one price than charging a larger one, loading everything up and then refusing to give it back until the price is met, refusing to even work out a payment schedule (half up front/deposit ad rest after the job's done, etc.

Really detest people/companies like that who take advantage of others. :x
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sorry to hear about your lousy experience. You said you moved 9 months ago. Same company? Not that it would make a difference in many cases. Often moving companies are not unified national companies, but local independent companies operating under an association or franchise arrangement.

There is a reason why the move yourself companies like U - Haul can make a living.
2) They broke a verbal agreement, at least in Holland also a verbal agreement is binding.
Unfortunately verbal agreements are hard to track legally.
In America verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Recorded verbal contracts started to come into vogue in the '90s, and those are different.

Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I moved myself last time, I used a 600CF Uhaul and packed everything in without issue and without breakage. The only reason I didn't this time is I was short on time and the "Bid" I got was within $100 of me doing it myself.

Some clarification.

The "Binding contract" they gave me quoted me a price of $2/CF. After I took the measurements and actually did the math, it turns out they charged me $6/cf which alone is a breach of contract.

My computer is more or less ok. Some scuffs on it and I had to reseat the HSF for the cpu and gpu but otherwise ok.

The Heirloom piece was broken. This upsets me more then anything as I have shipped it across the country and moved it 5 times myself without putting a single scratch on it. I told them they were packing it wrong and they refused to listen saying they "Knew better". Well obviously they didn't know better and now an unrepairable piece of furniture is busted. We are going to go round and round on this one I am sure.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:I moved myself last time, I used a 600CF Uhaul and packed everything in without issue and without breakage. The only reason I didn't this time is I was short on time and the "Bid" I got was within $100 of me doing it myself.

Some clarification.

The "Binding contract" they gave me quoted me a price of $2/CF. After I took the measurements and actually did the math, it turns out they charged me $6/cf which alone is a breach of contract.

My computer is more or less ok. Some scuffs on it and I had to reseat the HSF for the cpu and gpu but otherwise ok.

The Heirloom piece was broken. This upsets me more then anything as I have shipped it across the country and moved it 5 times myself without putting a single scratch on it. I told them they were packing it wrong and they refused to listen saying they "Knew better". Well obviously they didn't know better and now an unrepairable piece of furniture is busted. We are going to go round and round on this one I am sure.
They Knew better? You mean a bunch of punk kids who dropped out of college know better? LAW SUIT!
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tivia wrote:I moved myself last time, I used a 600CF Uhaul and packed everything in without issue and without breakage. The only reason I didn't this time is I was short on time and the "Bid" I got was within $100 of me doing it myself.

Some clarification.

Take legal action if you are able to.
Good to read, espeacially reading a lot of your life is on that thing but even that holds no comparison to:
Once again, if you are able to.

Find legal help with this one, not only did they scam you they damaged irreplacable goods.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

or you could do it the Karou way. Make boys cry by kicking their butts :3

Seriously get a lawyer!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Before I take legal action, I am required by law to give them a chance to correct the situation.

I spoke with the manager again today and, lo and behold when I hit him with the facts and made him actually review the contract he was singing a different tune. When I had him make the price adjustments that took over $1200 off the price alone. Now he is arguing a bit about the space, he claims their trucks are 13' tall inside, and I measured with a measuring tape 8'. That changes my loadsize from 950CF to 680CF, which at $2/CF is still a fairly significant difference. I think he is confused as to the type of truck they sent me (possible given volume), as they shipped me in a large moving van and not a Semi. So since I have pictures of a tape measured 8' and i took the time to get a scale picture reference as well that proves beyond doubt it is 8'. That will drop the total price to $1365 for the move, which is within a couple hundred of the bid price and is what I expected.

The damage will be through an insurance company, and that is a process I both anticipated and expected. So it seems some things are going right for me now. I doubt I will have to take legal action on the capacity, since it is rather hard to argue with pictures.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: A decision I am considering

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: A decision I am considering

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт