Next gen console wars

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Next gen console wars

Post by Keavy »

I think these sales figures are U.S. only, but they do give a good indication of where the three systems lie.

So, who do you think will be triumphant?
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

These numbers aren't consequent at all to be honest.

X360 has been on the market for nearly a year.
So that has the big advantage.

Wii and PS3 have just been released but in my opinion Wii will come out the big winner when it comes to pricetag, originality and gameplay.

PS3 is about twice the price of it and as far as I know does not include a game, also the $499 version is the cheap version.
If you want the one with a HD added you'll dish $100 extra.

Also Both Xbox 360 and PS3 will in my opinion give the same games as their ancestors with just better graphics.
The games will be played in the same way as before, just different backgrounds.

Wii introduces a complete new way of playing games while giving it the option of also playing the older way, next to that they offer downward compatibility with the Gamecube games and it's controllers.
Nintendo also makes it possible to play games on the Wii they released on every console they brought out and a few others (Sega anyone?). (for a minor fee)

X360 can play Xbox games as far as I know, however PS3 is not downwards compatible with PS1/2 games.

Pro for X360 is that it can play HD-DVD, but you'll need to buy an external add on for that.

Pro for PS3 is that it can play Blu-Ray.

However the real standard just isn't set yet and it will be a long time before that war is over.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Also, the PS3 had the least amount of units available at launch and Wii's numbers were limited too so in my opinion its way too early to call it for one side or the other.

I might be wrong but I believe the PS3 does come with a HD at the $499 price. Its a 20GB if I'm not mistaken. A 60GB version is available at the higher price tag.

There are quite a few PS2/PS1 games that can be played on the PS3 too right now. Searchable List of Playable Games .

From IGN-
Official PS3 Backwards Compatibility Site Launched
Sony's official list is online and searchable.
by Chris Roper
November 20, 2006 - Sony Computer Entertainment has created an official backwards compatibility checklist site for looking up the compatibility status on PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles. Rather than printing a flat list of 8,000 or so titles, Sony has created a search engine that allows you to look up any PSone or PS2 game and it'll tell you if it has any problems and what they are.

For instance, when searching for ICO you'll find that "Throughout gameplay and FMA's, the screen flickers." And when looking up Final Fantasy XI you'll find that "Users are unable to play titles that require HDD for PlayStation 2. This condition is planned to be resolved in the future with a system software update for PS3."
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:Also, the PS3 had the least amount of units available at launch and Wii's numbers were limited too so in my opinion its way too early to call it for one side or the other.

I might be wrong but I believe the PS3 does come with a HD at the $499 price. Its a 20GB if I'm not mistaken. A 60GB version is available at the higher price tag.

There are quite a few PS2/PS1 games that can be played on the PS3 too right now. Searchable List of Playable Games .
Good to have that info, however my heart is set on the Wii anyway. :)
I don't care so much for graphics as I do for gameplay.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Unlike the 360 there is no real disadvantage to buying the core PS3 vs the Premium. The only differences are Built in Wifi, Memory card readers and a 60gb vs 20gb hard drive. The only actual thing most people might miss is the wireless unless the system is near their router.

Currently where I am at, Obviously I own a PS3 and I am selling it.

I bought a Wii with the same intention, however the desire to play LoZ TP was such that I just decided to keep it. Most on here know how Jaded I am concerning nintendo. The wii in the past 2 days of nearly non stop playing has basically restored my faith not only in the Zelda series but nintendo in general. The system is phenominal, this is hands down the most fun I have had on a console in years.

Now concerning the high end console war between PS3 and 360. I believe the PS3 will still overtake the 360 simply because of game titles. Games make or break a system and Sony has more titles that are Good. Concerning the price, the 360 is cheaper yes but it has less features. Yes you can give it basically the same features but they are all external addon's. Most people looking for that functionality are just going to buy a regular HDDVD player. So the end result is this, Sony is gambling that most people will want a Single unit to do everything, and not multiple units. Sony is right, HTPC's are proving this logic correctly. Now as to If Sony is successful in this bid or not is entirely up to debate and will play out over the next couple of years.

End result is this, if MS wants to maintain #1 they MUST come out with better games. Right now there are at most only a handful of games for the 360 that are any good. The same problem plagued the Xbox, they simply have to come out with a large selection of Good high quality games or Sony will continue to dominate. Gears of War proved the 360 could compete, now they need another couple dozen titles of that quality.
Nekole
Kitten

Post by Nekole »

Unlike the 360 there is no real disadvantage to buying the core PS3 vs the Premium. The only differences are Built in Wifi, Memory card readers and a 60gb vs 20gb hard drive. The only actual thing most people might miss is the wireless unless the system is near their router.
There is a big disadvantage that PS3 has over what the 360 had as far as features for the 2 different level systems. With the 360 if you bought the core system and later wanted to have the featuresof the premium you just buy what you need and add it, however with PS3 if you buy the core system you will never be able to bring it up to the feature level as the premium system without buying a new system.

As for the games, i'm not completely sure since I wait till the bugs get worked out to upgrade, but i've heard that most of the good release games for PS3 are already available on 360 and even a lot of the planed releases will be released for both 360 and PS3.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Nekole.png[/img][/url]
[color=red]San d'Oria Rank 7[/color]
[color=indigo]69 PLD, 60 DRG, 49 SAM, 43 WHM, 39 WAR, 35 THF, 33 BLU, 30 PUP, 24 NIN, 21 MNK, 21 SMN, 20 BLM, 8 RDM, 8 COR, 2 RNG, 1 DRK, 1 BRD, 1 BST[/color]
Larxene
Kitten

Post by Larxene »

I honestly don't care who wins or loses. I'm a multi-console gamer anyway. Only for PS3? Only for Xbox360? Only for Wii? meh, another time and place when things aren't as spendy. For a guess, though, I'd say the Wii or Xbox360. The PS3 is going out a whole new door.
Fear the fists of the almighty....Mr. Chan!
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Nekole wrote:There is a big disadvantage that PS3 has over what the 360 had as far as features for the 2 different level systems. With the 360 if you bought the core system and later wanted to have the featuresof the premium you just buy what you need and add it, however with PS3 if you buy the core system you will never be able to bring it up to the feature level as the premium system without buying a new system.

As for the games, i'm not completely sure since I wait till the bugs get worked out to upgrade, but i've heard that most of the good release games for PS3 are already available on 360 and even a lot of the planed releases will be released for both 360 and PS3.
My goodness, there sure is a lot of misinformation out about the PS3.
While I don't know about the 360 and how easily it can be upgraded from core -> premium, PS3 is easily upgradeable.

20GB HDD not big enough? Just swap in the 60GB. That still too small?

From Playstation 3 FAQ
If there is need in the future, it is also possible to upgrade storage capacity by exchanging HDD to Serial-ATA 2.5″ HDD available on the market.
Same with the periphials (USB, Flash, memory stick/card, etc)- ways and means to upgrade the PS3 from core -> premium and beyond are available or will be. From what I've read Sony is really making a push to make the PS3 as user friendly and costumizable as a PC as possible.

In the press releases and official responses from Sony- they don't even refer to it as a game console or home entertainment system. They're calling it a computer.

Time will tell I guess.
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Nekole
Kitten

Post by Nekole »

it's not misinformation if sony's plastation website http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About ... ifications shows it as a difference. The only thing they say is upgradable...right now anyway since, yes, things can change in future versions...is the HD. As for the WIFI and the card readers right now if you don't get them your out of luck...though you could buy an aftermarket gaming WAP to give you PS3 wireless like you can for PS2, but unless there was a way to install drivers and software for card readers it's not something you could just add.

Also in looking further into their site some of the features people will have significant additional expenses to be able to use them...suce as the Blu-ray player.

From sony's PS3 FAQ http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/faq
What is the difference between the $499 and $599 configurations?
Both solutions include Blu-ray Disc the latest in high-definition* video, Bluetooth, four USB ports, 1080p video, HDMI**, and the advanced microprocessor, the Cell Broadband Engine. The difference between them, however, is that the $599 system includes Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash slots, Wi-Fi***, and a 60GB hard disk drive (HDD), whereas the $499 system comes with a 20GB HDD.

* Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately. Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.
** HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.
*** Requires broadband internet service and a wireless access point or LAN. Certain limitations apply to Wi-Fi connectivity. See the product documentation for details. User is responsible for Internet service fees.
If you don't have a HDMI connection and a 1080p compatable TV your not going to be able to watch blu-ray movies.

I personaly perfer Sony but it angers me that they would put out a product that is as expensive as it is and not only make it so that if i don't go with the best one the only thing i can do is upgrade the HD but also make it so that unless i have a TV that is 1080p compatable and has HDMI i can't watch Blu-ray movies on it...and please don't try to tell me i can because if you buy it at the store it's going to be copy-protected. If they were smart they would have made it able to work with any output type so thatmost people could start useing all the fetures without haveing to upgrade their TV also. At least with the 360 i can watch a HD movie on my current HDTV or move it to a SDTV and still be able to watch a movie. Personally i think Sony blew it on this...between this and what they did to PS2 when they stopped HD support Sony will have to prove themselves before they get my business back.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Nekole.png[/img][/url]
[color=red]San d'Oria Rank 7[/color]
[color=indigo]69 PLD, 60 DRG, 49 SAM, 43 WHM, 39 WAR, 35 THF, 33 BLU, 30 PUP, 24 NIN, 21 MNK, 21 SMN, 20 BLM, 8 RDM, 8 COR, 2 RNG, 1 DRK, 1 BRD, 1 BST[/color]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I would wager Sony's thinking is similiar to my own.

who on earth would spend the kind of money you have to on a next gen Blu-ray dvd player and not have a next gen Tv? I hate to say it but at some point companies have to stop continuing to support old generation technology. If you have one of the HDTV's out that does not have HDMI, that sucks but then this is why some of us paid the higher price for a little thing called "Future proofing".
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Tivia wrote:End result is this, if MS wants to maintain #1 they MUST come out with better games. Right now there are at most only a handful of games for the 360 that are any good. The same problem plagued the Xbox, they simply have to come out with a large selection of Good high quality games or Sony will continue to dominate. Gears of War proved the 360 could compete, now they need another couple dozen titles of that quality.
It makes me wonder with MS's new launch plan of their "games for windows" campaign. They currently bought the rights to Computer Gaming World and have changed the name of it to "Games for Windows: The official magazine"

MS is also becoming very close Nvidia and Intel (they were kinda that way already) and it has me wondering...

The volume of new computer game titles on the shelves has been declining over the past few years. In a strange round about way, in the past (and to an extent now) computer games pushed the envelope of the home PC to greater heights as soon as a new "eye candy" game was released.

Intel wants to sell new processors... with a declining game base how many people will buy a new computer for entertainment purposes instead of general internet stuff (which their current computer is more then capable of handling)?

Microsoft wants new computers to be sold. Because with every new computer that is made, they sell an operating system. It almost seems like they are trying to revive the computer gaming market by giving it access to more titles.

I wonder how similar DirectX10 will be to the XBoX's OS. If they are indeed close, a game developer could just design one game and have it sell on 2 platforms with just a slight alteration of coding.
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Sakino wrote: ....[MS] currently bought the rights to Computer Gaming World and have changed the name of it to "Games for Windows: The official magazine"
Gag me with a title. /gaks quietly in a corner.

That is about as bad as renaming the Republican party "The Party of Prevaricators and Budget Busters".

Darrrnit, I liked that magazine.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Tsybil wrote:
Sakino wrote: ....[MS] currently bought the rights to Computer Gaming World and have changed the name of it to "Games for Windows: The official magazine"
Gag me with a title. /gaks quietly in a corner.

That is about as bad as renaming the Republican party "The Party of Prevaricators and Budget Busters".

Darrrnit, I liked that magazine.
I took a look at the 1st issue. It still a good mag... at least so far.
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Rinni
Tomcat

Post by Rinni »

I WANT A Wii!!!

*dances about with her legs crossed before running to the bathroom*

sorry couldn't resist. but i so want one. guess i'll need to wait a few months. it's a really decent price too.
am a lil' kitty an' i <3 to fish.

Mmm Fishies.

lvl 54 {fisherman}
i will be a master!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:Right now there are at most only a handful of games for the 360 that are any good. The same problem plagued the Xbox, they simply have to come out with a large selection of Good high quality games or Sony will continue to dominate. Gears of War proved the 360 could compete, now they need another couple dozen titles of that quality.
What you talking about? Right now there's a flood of awesome games coming out on 360. What the f*ck does PS3 have besides multi-platform stuff (that probably works better on other consoles), shitty launch titles and that one good game?
ScarlettPheonix wrote:Also, the PS3 had the least amount of units available at launch and Wii's numbers were limited too so in my opinion its way too early to call it for one side or the other.
And who's fault is that? :roll: Sony have only themselves to blame if Nintendo get the jump on them.
There are quite a few PS2/PS1 games that can be played on the PS3 too right now.
Can't view that website at work :x I read somewhere (think PA) that you will be able to buy PS1/PS2 games for $5 a pop but the old game discs won't work for it :? Get that lube ready 'cause Sony gonna pull your pants down and aim for penetration :lol:

Sony will have to beat Microsoft by a lot if they want to make up for the huge losses on console production.
Tivia wrote:who on earth would spend the kind of money you have to on a next gen Blu-ray dvd player and not have a next gen Tv? I hate to say it but at some point companies have to stop continuing to support old generation technology. If you have one of the HDTV's out that does not have HDMI, that sucks but then this is why some of us paid the higher price for a little thing called "Future proofing".
Err because they wanted it for the games, not the DVDs/whatever... why can't they support both?
Last edited by Sugami on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:
Tivia wrote:Right now there are at most only a handful of games for the 360 that are any good. The same problem plagued the Xbox, they simply have to come out with a large selection of Good high quality games or Sony will continue to dominate. Gears of War proved the 360 could compete, now they need another couple dozen titles of that quality.
What you talking about? Right now there's a flood of awesome games coming out on 360. What the f*ck does PS3 have besides multi-platform stuff (that probably works better on other consoles), shitty launch titles and that one good game?

I imagine it depends on what you define as a good game, however I would also like to know what you define as a "Flood". Personaly I have only seen at tops 4 games out for 360 that are currently good and perhaps another 4 coming up that promise to be good. 8 games to me is hardly a flood or even really worth consideration. I did not dispute what the PS3 had now, however Sony trending in the past shows them having produced Dozens of top quality games, the PS3 should be no different. Heck right off the top there are at least 5 titles slated that already show massive promise. But again you have to wait until the PS3 has been out for a year to compare it to where the 360 is after a year. Clearly you have forgotten how bad the launch titles were with the 360, as I recall not a single damn one of them was worth playing.
And who's fault is that? :roll: Sony have only themselves to blame if Nintendo get the jump on them.
There are quite a few PS2/PS1 games that can be played on the PS3 too right now.
Can't view that website at work :x I read somewhere (think PA) that you will be able to buy PS1/PS2 games for $5 a pop but the old game discs won't work for it :? Get that lube ready 'cause Sony gonna pull your pants down and aim for penetration :lol:

Sony will have to beat Microsoft by a lot if they want to make up for the huge losses on console production.
Tivia wrote:who on earth would spend the kind of money you have to on a next gen Blu-ray dvd player and not have a next gen Tv? I hate to say it but at some point companies have to stop continuing to support old generation technology. If you have one of the HDTV's out that does not have HDMI, that sucks but then this is why some of us paid the higher price for a little thing called "Future proofing".
Err because they wanted it for the games, not the DVDs/whatever... why can they support both?
The better question is, "If the PS3 had been strictly a gaming console and cheaper, Would you have bought a Blu-Ray player to upgrade your DVD collection?" From you post I speculate the answer to that is no because you are quite happy with the current quality of your DVD's. In that particular instance I certaintly understand your delimma, but that does not change the premise of you bought a gaming console because of th games. Also go look at the blu-Ray dvd players, ALL of them require HDMI because HDMI is a requirement of Blu-Ray. If there is an exception to this I am unaware of it because last I looked Blu-Ray encryption required the HDMI cable to output, this is not just exclusive to the PS3.

So right now your hate against the PS3 is misguided, you are bagging on it because it adheres to the requirements of the format. If you are going to hate on it, at least stick to the valid reasons. There are three ways to look at the PS3; 1) An extremely expensive Gaming console, 2) a Very cheap Blu-Ray DVD player, 3) a Very well priced next gen Multimedia platform that ushers in next gen gaming as well as Next Gen DVD definition standards.

Clearly I view it by choice 3.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:I imagine it depends on what you define as a good game, however I would also like to know what you define as a "Flood". Personaly I have only seen at tops 4 games out for 360 that are currently good and perhaps another 4 coming up that promise to be good. 8 games to me is hardly a flood or even really worth consideration. I did not dispute what the PS3 had now, however Sony trending in the past shows them having produced Dozens of top quality games, the PS3 should be no different. Heck right off the top there are at least 5 titles slated that already show massive promise. But again you have to wait until the PS3 has been out for a year to compare it to where the 360 is after a year. Clearly you have forgotten how bad the launch titles were with the 360, as I recall not a single damn one of them was worth playing.
Launch titles always suck, was same for XBox. I bought it a year late just as I bought the 360 a year late but 360 had PGR3 and DOA4 as launch titles and they're both pretty damn awesome (well I'm not a PGR fan myself), that's one up on PS3 already.

As for "flood" of new games recently ones that come to mind are; Dead Rising (last month or two) , Need For Speed Carbon (yes I'm aware it's muliplatform), Gears of War, DOA Xtreme, Rainbow Six Vegas.
When I see more than one game out in a month that I want, I consider that a lot.

I'm ignoring all the sports games as there are a lot of them and they are widely liked.
So right now your hate against the PS3 is misguided, you are bagging on it because it adheres to the requirements of the format. If you are going to hate on it, at least stick to the valid reasons. There are three ways to look at the PS3; 1) An extremely expensive Gaming console, 2) a Very cheap Blu-Ray DVD player, 3) a Very well priced next gen Multimedia platform that ushers in next gen gaming as well as Next Gen DVD definition standards.

Clearly I view it by choice 3.
I "hate" the PS3 because it's an overpriced piece of junk laced with Sony's corporate bullshit.

You'd be the minority as the majority would see it as option #1. Fact of the matter is most people just want to play games on their console.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

So it really boils down to a gaming preference, to me PGR3 was only Ok, it lost its replay value extremely quickly. to me a game is not good unless I can replay it several times over the years and still enjoy it. Doa4 while an interesting fighting game was hardly good, I am sorry but virtual boobs do not make a good game, they make it enjoyable if you are male and single but thats it.

As for up coming titles, I agree with you on Dead rising, Was never a Need for speed fan and it is multi platform I downloaded a hack version on my pc and played it for a few hours, that was the extent that it amused me before I uninstalled. Gears of war I have already agreed with, DOAX...Seriously tell me you did not call a game that has exaggerated Boob physics, horrible hair and utterly no gameplay value other then to oogle virtual boobs Good? Honestly I am not going to even attempt to state the obvious. Rainbow6 Vegas, is subject to debate, Promising but I have a bad feeling it will end up being far overhyped.

So really depending on the gamer you are, is really what the determining difference is. Out of that list 2 games are all that I consider worth spending $50 on.

Concerning me being in the minority, You are potentially right at this time. However I promise you I am the audience Sony is targeting because my audience is far larger then the gaming only group. Sony is just trying to grab a bigger slice of the pie, cannot really blame them for it. They want the Gamers And the Home Multimedia groups. As to if the bid is successful or not, we shall see. However I still feel your Ire is misguided, this is the future of gaming, Sony is just trying to usher it in quicker, and as a result it is more costly.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Tivia wrote:Doa4 while an interesting fighting game was hardly good, I am sorry but virtual boobs do not make a good game, they make it enjoyable if you are male and single but thats it.
Good thing those requirements make up a good half the population if not more. :lol:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:Doa4 while an interesting fighting game was hardly good, I am sorry but virtual boobs do not make a good game, they make it enjoyable if you are male and single but thats it.
You don't appreciate the depth of the martial arts, fast paced action, great fighting system and multi-tiered arenas then. There's a lot more to DOA then just button bashing and play anyone with a good grasp of the game and you'll find out.
Team Ninja decided to remove the "Easy" difficulty on DOA4 so even on it's "easiest" setting it is still quite a challenge.
DOAX...Seriously tell me you did not call a game that has exaggerated Boob physics, horrible hair and utterly no gameplay value other then to oogle virtual boobs Good?
Ignoring the gratuitous fan-service it's a good fun game. I had DOAX on XBox and the Volley Ball game engine was a lot of fun. They've added a quite a few more games ontop of Volley Ball and enabled you to continue your game after the alloted time is up. It's not great but it's good and should be good fun.
Rainbow6 Vegas, is subject to debate, Promising but I have a bad feeling it will end up being far overhyped.
I played the SP demo and it's amazing. 'nough said.

I also forgot to mention Tony Hawks Project 8 (or whatever), yes it is multi-platform but again it will look and play the best on 360.
Concerning me being in the minority, You are potentially right at this time. However I promise you I am the audience Sony is targeting because my audience is far larger then the gaming only group.
I think the "group" that's primarily interested in PS3 are gaming only. I think Sony is targetting the minority in this case and that's bad business practice (along with screwing your consumers).
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:
You don't appreciate the depth of the martial arts, fast paced action, great fighting system and multi-tiered arenas then. There's a lot more to DOA then just button bashing and play anyone with a good grasp of the game and you'll find out.
Team Ninja decided to remove the "Easy" difficulty on DOA4 so even on it's "easiest" setting it is still quite a challenge.
DOAX...Seriously tell me you did not call a game that has exaggerated Boob physics, horrible hair and utterly no gameplay value other then to oogle virtual boobs Good?
Ignoring the gratuitous fan-service it's a good fun game. I had DOAX on XBox and the Volley Ball game engine was a lot of fun. They've added a quite a few more games ontop of Volley Ball and enabled you to continue your game after the alloted time is up. It's not great but it's good and should be good fun.
Rainbow6 Vegas, is subject to debate, Promising but I have a bad feeling it will end up being far overhyped.
I played the SP demo and it's amazing. 'nough said.

I also forgot to mention Tony Hawks Project 8 (or whatever), yes it is multi-platform but again it will look and play the best on 360.
Concerning me being in the minority, You are potentially right at this time. However I promise you I am the audience Sony is targeting because my audience is far larger then the gaming only group.
I think the "group" that's primarily interested in PS3 are gaming only. I think Sony is targetting the minority in this case and that's bad business practice (along with screwing your consumers).
You are right, I have played every single Martial arts fighter since original Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, Clearly I do not appreciate those games.

Sarcasm aside, I played Doa4 and to be honest outside pretty graphics it did not feel nearly as fluid as it should of. Tekken Tag's Physics felt far more realistic to me. Sorry but I have tried playing the DOA series over and over and every time it feels like they have put far more focus into fan service then actual gameplay. Perhaps I feel that way since I am married and Fan service does nothing for me and I can ignore it completely.

I cannot say much about Tony hawks, I never liked skateboarding games.

Either way end result is even after being out a year we have still managed to name less then 10 Good games for the 360, sorry but less then 10 titles in over a year to me is pretty bleak.

Now the 360 does potentially have a huge edge with what they are saying Vista will do with it, I am particularly interested in this because I am primarily a PC gamer and I love Vista. But from a strict console perspective I give sony the edge still due to reputation for putting out Tons of good games. However I will throw a wrench in the works, If MS blows the vista thing, I see them falling to third this round. Right now the Wii is kicking both sony's and MS's ass badly in both price and Fun factor.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Wanna know why I love PS2? GAMES!!!

That's why I've replaced my busted PS2's. If the games had sucked, I wouldn't have paid more money for a new console. Xbox 360 has good games so that's why if it ever breaks I would be willing to buy another one. PS3 needs to deliver the games to make it a success. Considering that Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in the nation, has dropped Blu-Ray DVD's from their stores I don't see a rosy future for the PS3.

Sony should have waited a year on PS3. PS2's still got a lot of life in it and the extra time would have allowed for a more robust launch selection and the price would have dropped and/or the tech would be even better.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Wal-Mart was slow to pick up DVDs too, when DVDs were first starting to become popular.

Also, don't forget that Sony is a Japanese company as well. Asia is very tech hungry and I wouldn't be suprised if Blu-ray has already started to catch on over in Korea and Japan already. America may be Sony's biggest market, but you can definetly see the Asian love for cutting edge technology in the development of the PS3.

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Wanna know what I want Blu-Ray for? Backup. Being able to backup a 200GB HDD onto one disc would rule.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:Sarcasm aside, I played Doa4 and to be honest outside pretty graphics it did not feel nearly as fluid as it should of. Tekken Tag's Physics felt far more realistic to me.
You have got to be shitting me. Tekken is slow, rigid and just sh*t. It's barely 3D from what I remember (as in no moving sideways) and can win by cheesing. The only thing it's good for is watching people perform huge combo throws.

You say DOA isn't fluid but seem to prefer to jerky slowness of Tekken??? :?

When I talk about the depth of the martial arts I mean each character's martial art is very thorough and has a lot of "depth". Brad Wong the drunken boxer for instance; if you've ever seen Jackie Chan's Drunken Master you'll know how close Brad's style is to it with at least 3 different stances that fluidly move between each other.
Either way end result is even after being out a year we have still managed to name less then 10 Good games for the 360, sorry but less then 10 titles in over a year to me is pretty bleak.
I forgot to mention Call of Duty 3 (I'm not a fan but I gather it's very popular). Like I said there's a buttload of sports games out there that are equally as popular as the other big games, if you don't like those kind of games that's your perogative but many others do.
Keavy wrote:Wanna know what I want Blu-Ray for? Backup. Being able to backup a 200GB HDD onto one disc would rule.
I'd hate to imagine how long that burn would take :lol: Nah think I'd rather split it up into several discs than one big one :lol:
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Sugami wrote:I'd hate to imagine how long that burn would take :lol: Nah think I'd rather split it up into several discs than one big one :lol:
Bring back the 5 1/2' floppies! :lol:
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

Wanta
Kitten

Post by Wanta »

I'm unbiased on this and will probably buy all 3 of them eventually.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:
Tivia wrote:Sarcasm aside, I played Doa4 and to be honest outside pretty graphics it did not feel nearly as fluid as it should of. Tekken Tag's Physics felt far more realistic to me.
You have got to be shitting me. Tekken is slow, rigid and just sh*t. It's barely 3D from what I remember (as in no moving sideways) and can win by cheesing. The only thing it's good for is watching people perform huge combo throws.

You say DOA isn't fluid but seem to prefer to jerky slowness of Tekken??? :?

When I talk about the depth of the martial arts I mean each character's martial art is very thorough and has a lot of "depth". Brad Wong the drunken boxer for instance; if you've ever seen Jackie Chan's Drunken Master you'll know how close Brad's style is to it with at least 3 different stances that fluidly move between each other.
I forgot to mention Call of Duty 3 (I'm not a fan but I gather it's very popular). Like I said there's a buttload of sports games out there that are equally as popular as the other big games, if you don't like those kind of games that's your perogative but many others do.
Keavy wrote:Wanna know what I want Blu-Ray for? Backup. Being able to backup a 200GB HDD onto one disc would rule.
I'd hate to imagine how long that burn would take :lol: Nah think I'd rather split it up into several discs than one big one :lol:
That would make you incorrect, there is side stepping and it was far more enjoyable then DOA. Of course it is possible that the controller made the difference, sorry but the PS2 Controller was vastly superior to the Xbox controller, the 360 honestly although smaller is not much better.

Say what you will but when it comes to Button mashers, Sony's Controller > All.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:
Well, right now the limit on Blu-Ray is dual layer (Which is 50GB) but I imagine that by the time an eight layer (200GB) burner is practical and available that the write speed will be fast enough to make it feasible.

Even at 25-50GB its still a good storage option. Its like when we all went from CD-ROM to DVD-ROM for storage. There will come a time when we'll be looking at our massive pile of DVD-9's wishing for a larger storage format.

Oh, and from what I heard Apple will start selling Blu-Ray drives for their PowerMac's next year. Pro models only at first.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:That would make you incorrect, there is side stepping and it was far more enjoyable then DOA. Of course it is possible that the controller made the difference, sorry but the PS2 Controller was vastly superior to the Xbox controller, the 360 honestly although smaller is not much better.

Say what you will but when it comes to Button mashers, Sony's Controller > All.
So PS2 controllers support button mashing? How's this arguement helping your cause? :lol:

I don't think I mentioned controls but yes I do like the PS1/2 controllers but there isn't really much in it between those and XBox Controller-S and the 360 controller.

I remember up (in any direction) making you jump in Tekken Tag (last tekken I played) so how do you sidestep? Press a button to do it once like in MK4? Hardly counts as 3D still as you're mostly fighting on a 2D plane.
Keavy wrote:Well, right now the limit on Blu-Ray is dual layer (Which is 50GB) but I imagine that by the time an eight layer (200GB) burner is practical and available that the write speed will be fast enough to make it feasible.

Even at 25-50GB its still a good storage option. Its like when we all went from CD-ROM to DVD-ROM for storage. There will come a time when we'll be looking at our massive pile of DVD-9's wishing for a larger storage format.

Oh, and from what I heard Apple will start selling Blu-Ray drives for their PowerMac's next year. Pro models only at first.
Well atm my DVD-RW drive can only write at x8 if it's a -R disc or x4 if it's a +R disc, that takes a good couple of hours to burn a full DVD, which is what... 5-8GB?

If you got it up to 16-20 speed it'd still take ages, 25-50GB would take half a day :lol: Faster the burn the higher chance of it boning up. You'd have to burn that in several sessions methinks :lol: