PS3 Preorders

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:That's harsh, knowing that there is a limited supply and some people genuinely want it you're making them pay extra :oops: they'll also be screwed if that console bones up and they're left with a broken console and an empty pocket...
I am not forcing anyone to pay anything they are unwilling to pay. They could have just as easily been at Gamestop first thing in the morning to get one for themselves. I think the best way to put it, is if they were patient enough to wait for the next shipment then I imagine they would not be paying jacked up prices. Simple rules of supply vs Demand.

I genuinely want a PS3 and Wii for myself, I was first in line for both and should either not sell I will keep them gladly. The chances of me turning down someone willing to pay me triple+ the amount I paid however is nil, I am more then willing to wait until mid next year to own my personal console. So honestly the way I see it is, I am getting Paid to be patient, they are paying additional to be impatient.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

JediKitsune wrote:Why is everything these days for profit?
Everything has always been for profit.

Its called capitalism.

Think about it this way, prostitution is the oldest profession. About 38 seconds after money was invented the traditional chant of "Hey salior, want a good time?" was started. As soon as word got around that someone was making cash off what everyone had previously given away for free, the second oldest profession was created. Priest.

Sex does not make the world go around. Money makes the world go around, sex merely keeps it populated.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

If I had $600 to blow I would have gotten a PS3 preorder, too.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

They could have just as easily been at Gamestop first thing in the morning to get one for themselves.
That makes me laugh, other people have lifes jobs etc., and so they dont think 24/7 of how to screw people out of money thru actions, that IF this wasnt happening over the internet, would be deemed illegal. Or these people cant make it to a place to preorder in the 10 minutes they sold out, (personally i didnt even know when the preorders started, and i still dont know when it happened)

But on the other hand, the people buying the ebay units are fucking idiots for accepting to pay so much, and deserve to pay that much, out of some sort of economic natural selection.

So in short, it is wrong to make money off other's misfortunes, and by, price hikeing, and artifically fucking up the supply and demand (for the groups of people working together to get like 7 units, assuming that each person could only order one). And the people buying the over priced units need to die for stupidity.

(all of this reminds me of camping wamura cocoons when ToAU first was out. half a million for one cocoon {yes, please})
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Well in some cases they can't be patient, children wanting their christmas presents on Christmas day and everywhere is out of stock so yes the parents are forced to buy over-charged ebay prices.

People wouldn't offer you double or triple the original price if you hadn't presented it to them in the first place.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:Well in some cases they can't be patient, children wanting their christmas presents on Christmas day and everywhere is out of stock so yes the parents are forced to buy over-charged ebay prices.

People wouldn't offer you double or triple the original price if you hadn't presented it to them in the first place.
My parents NEVER EVER did that for me or my sister. If we wanted some super cool toy like that that no one had and my parents couldn't get one, oh well. We just had to wait for our birthdays.

I plan on being the same way if I ever have kids.

As for the outrageous prices: If you're so impatient then yes, you deserve to be financially raped without lube.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:Well in some cases they can't be patient, children wanting their christmas presents on Christmas day and everywhere is out of stock so yes the parents are forced to buy over-charged ebay prices.

One looks at a parent child relationship where that is the case and wonders whom is the parent and whom is the child. My parents made me wait, my child will wait too, most times that "Must" have item in 3 months was not so must have any longer. So if mommy and daddy are out paying triple the cost of something because they have to "buy" the love of their child since they are incapable of being a real parent, then I do not feel even the slightest bit of guilt about profiting off their stupidity.

As for they would not pay if it was not presented, I start my bids at $50 over retail and at that price include free overnight shipping, that translates into me making about $20 if no one bids but the minimum. However they are the ones who bid the auction up over $3000 so honestly you cannot accuse me of price gouging, they drove the price up to the point of what they were willing to pay. This is the beauty of the US economy. Now if you want to see price gouging and pure insanity, take a look at the new Tickle me Elmo...that is just stupid for a Childs toy.

End result is this, I woke up on the day of preorders at my normal time, I received an email from Gamestop the night before same as everyone on their mailing list. I showed up at Gamestop 1 hour before it opened and was first in line. I preordered then went straight to work. So yea I just do not buy into the I couldn't make it due to x y z reason, I called in late to work when I got the email and worked overtime to make up time I missed. It comes down to planning, either you planned for it or you did not.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Blaming the parents who spoil their children is passing the buck and missing the point. Point being they wouldn't need to goto such drastic measures if people like you weren't out there taking away all the units just so that you can resell it.

This reminds me of something... oh that's right, guildshop campers in FFXI. :roll:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Sugami~ did you even read Tivia's post above yours?

She's not the one driving the price of her consoles up~ the people wanting the damned thing are. Blame the idiots fighting over it not her.

Everyone can make all the comments and comparisms about this vs game situations all they want but it still comes down to the same thing- people being too impatient to wait for greater supply or the prices lowering instead of paying astronomical prices for their impatience and then bitching about it.

In both the game and here people could've waited, but they chose not too- and I really don't see a reason to not profit from their impatience over what is a luxury item.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I got my first PS2 in December 2000 and you wanna know how much I paid for it? $300 + tax. I reserved my PS2 back in March and waited for the second shipment. (I didn't have the cash to get it on the first shipment)

I was told second shipment would arrive in January and was pleasantly surprised. Considering for the first year of its life I played SSX, Onimusha, DVD's, and my PS1 games I should have waited until September 2001 to get one.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I'll just say this;

Greed shouldn't be rewarded, and idiocy shouldn't be encouraged.

I don't think what you and other people do is morally just, 's all.
Last edited by Sugami on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:I'll just say this;

Greed shouldn't be rewarded, and idiocy shouldn't be abused.

I don't think what you and other people do is morally just, 's all.
Agree to disagree,

However it does pose the question,
If you bought a PS3 or a Wii, brought it home and someone called you and offered you double what you paid for it, you would turn that down? If so great for you, however I do not make enough money to do that myself.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:I'll just say this;

Greed shouldn't be rewarded, and idiocy shouldn't be abused.
Who is the greedy one? Is it the one who puts the machine up on Ebay or the one who MUST have it at any price?

Is scalping abusing the idiots or the lazy?

I still make Gil buying at shops and reselling at the AH to those who don't know that the same item is available a block away for far less. Or maybe they just don't care.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

The seller is the greedy one, the buyer is just stupid and impatient.

There's a difference in buying something with intent on using it and later being offered to sell it at a higher price than there is buying something just to be resold later. I believe you admitted to the latter.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:The seller is the greedy one, the buyer is just stupid and impatient.

There's a difference in buying something with intent on using it and later being offered to sell it at a higher price than there is buying something just to be resold later. I believe you admitted to the latter.
You are correct, I bought it with the Intent to resell, and in the event it did not I was more then willing to keep it for myself. I want a PS3 and Wii, certaintly I do but with the decision of Keeping it, vs selling it and waiting I view it as this. If I keep it I have spent $600 on a PS3 and $250 on a Wii, If I sell it I have to wait until next year but I end up with a PS3 and Wii effectively for Free. To me this is not a difficult decision.

I do the exact same thing in any MMORPG I play, it is always how I have made my money in game. I will aquire an item, that I want but I ALWAYS attempt to resell it for more then I have invested in it before I use it. So This is a pattern of behavior for me both realistically and virtually. While I disagree with your stance, you are entitled to it and I respect it, that is all I will say on the matter. However do remember that If you do the same thing Virtually there is no difference. I do not know if you do or do not, and honestly Do not need to know, I simply make the statement to keep things in perspective.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Why complain about what someone else does with thier money. Buy and item and resell it for double? go ahead. if the idiot is dumb enough to buy, then let him. I honestly don't see the conflict? Or maybe im wrong. Maybe someone is forcing a pistol to everyone's heads and saying buy the most expensive system on ebay despite the fact that it will be cheaper if you wait. If that's the case, then Tivia, your are a very very bad kitty. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Exactly.

Its pretty sad that people are that imp...*NEWS ALERT* A BLU-RAY copy of the Will Ferrel hit Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby will be included with the first 500,000 PS3's. Now we return you to your regularly scheduled post**...OMG! I NEED A PS3!!!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

This gave me a good laugh this morning..

http://gaming.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s ... costs-700/

Essentially Sony stuck their foot in their mouth and claimed the Xbox 360 required certain things to play, which is false of course it does not require any of the mentioned things to use in general. However there is an element of, I think what they "Meant" was, in order for the 360 to effectively perform the Same tasks as the PS3 this is what it would actually cost. But of course that is merely speculation and the whole thing to me is just funny in general.

However it does give one pause of consideration to take a look at the specs for a moment. Lets compare the 360 Premium to the Ps3 core.

Ps3 Core
Console $499
Hdd - 20gb
Blu-Ray - included
Online access - included
For simplicity sake I am going to ignore HDMI although, anyone using either HD or Blu-ray would obviously want that.
Total $499

360 Premium
Console $399
Hdd - 20gb
Hd-DVD - $199
Online Access - $50 12 months
Total $648

So if you are looking at it from a next gen dvd player And gaming console the Ps3 is actually cheaper by $148 for the core, at still the Premium which has a 60gb hdd, memory card reader and some other goodies is still $48 cheaper. However if you are ONLY looking for a Game console then the 360 is by far the better deal.

This is a situation where I personally feel Sony is screwing up. They are spending too much time focusing on the wrong crap. They are trying to compare apples to apples and guess what, one of them is an apple and one is an orange, which you like better really comes down to personal preference and what you plan on using it for.

for me, I am looking for a next Gen dvd player and home entertainment unit first, game console second. So the Ps3 for me is the obvious choice, I say obvious because I would spend more money on the 360 and then end up with a console with games I generally speaking do not enjoy. Now since the gaming part is only my secondary motivation if the 360 were say...Cheaper then the Ps3 I might be persuaded except for one simple problem. If I am going full bore into next Gen DVD HDMI is an absolute Must for me, I see no reason to go in half ass, the 360 Does not have or support HDMI at this time. This to me is the reason why the Ps3 for my intended use justifies me purchasing it and not a 360.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I have a very healthy DVD collection and I sure as hell won't rebuy it to get prettier pictures.

As soon as movies come out exclusively on either BLU-RAY or HD-DVD then I will buy a player and start buying movies on that format.

Although, I wish I had the financial security to feel good about making the decision to replace my movie collection.

All that sheet is is Sony trying to silence the critics who are accusing them of forcing BLU-RAY on people who don't need it and to be honest, the FMV argument falls flat. If games on PS3 can look as good as they showed in the Killzone target video then they can render cutscenes in-engine which allows them to seamlessly integrate story which draws people deeper in the game.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I am the same in that I have a very large DVD collection. I will not be repurchasing them, I only did that for VHS for the obvious reason I did not want to keep VHS tapes.

However I will start purchasing Blu-ray going forward, just the same as I originaly first started purchasing only new DVDs. My stance is simple, I have component and HDMI ports on my TV. I am quite pleased at the quality of component, however since there is going to be a new standard at some point I see no reason to not go ahead and start moving that direction myself so long as the cost is not excessive. For perspective, not even accounting for inflation it cost me nearly double to go to DVD, then it is costing me to go to Blu-ray. If you consider that inflation should have had impact on cost, the fact that it is costing me half to switch to the newer blu-ray then that of DVD to me is a bonus incentive for me to switch.

DVD to me Replaced VHS and made VHS obsolete and unnecessary. Blu-Ray does not Replace DVD it merely Upgrades it. Right now I have $1200 invested in my Media center PC alone, this does not include my two gamers. That HTPC is but a candle comparitively speaking to what the PS3 claims it will do. Now granted that is a pretty big IF the PS3 has to fill, if it succeeds I will be estatic, should it fail...Well I have blown more on items that were fully useless then I will at least have a game console albiet a pricey one.

Besides, I am willing to bet as soon as FFXIII comes out since it is PS3 exclusive...most of the ones around here swearing off the PS3 will end up buying it anyhow. Perhaps second hand but bought nevertheless. :roll:
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I don't even have a widescreen TV (in my room) let alone an HDTV, quite happy playing DVDs on my PC :)

Sony can kiss my ass :P
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sorry for judging you, Tivia.

For me, 99.9% of the movies I own on DVD are movies that came out years ago and were released on DVD well after theatrical release and since I rarely buy new movies on DVD (Newly released I mean) it would cost me a fortune to buy everything plus with some movies on one format but not the other (Like "Goodfellas", which is a must own IMHO, is DVD and HD-DVD only) so stuff like that would essentially screw someone like me. Plus, there's no guarantee that every movie I want will be brought over (Hell, a lot of movies I want are still VHS only. It took a lot of bitching and moaning from the RCPS fanclub to get Fox to release "Shock Treatment" on DVD) so while I support them making a home movie format for those who aren't happy with 480lol I just wish they'd make up their damn mind and stick with one format. I don't care if they choose BLU-RAY, HD-DVD, or ABCDEFG-DVD just pick one!

Also, this move by Sony to release that sheet reeks of desperation. Its sad, really. They're like the boyfriend that insists that their girlfriend keeps her cellphone on all the time, tries to start fights with other men that even look at their girlfriend, and emotionally and even physically abuse their girlfriends to keep them because they're so damn insecure.

A real man trusts his girl until she betrays that trust and knows that if she leaves he can find someone else. Sony needs to trust that the PS3 is good enough to compete with the Xbox 360. Yes, some of us are on the internet bitching about the pricetag and the inclusion of BLU-RAY, but we were all also bitching about the 360 tard pack and their decision to include DVD-9 instead of HD-DVD. Sony needs to have a little faith in their console.

Like I've said before I am very critical of Sony and I want to be proven wrong.
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Keavy wrote:Sorry for judging you, Tivia.

For me, 99.9% of the movies I own on DVD are movies that came out years ago and were released on DVD well after theatrical release and since I rarely buy new movies on DVD (Newly released I mean) it would cost me a fortune to buy everything plus with some movies on one format but not the other (Like "Goodfellas", which is a must own IMHO, is DVD and HD-DVD only) so stuff like that would essentially screw someone like me. Plus, there's no guarantee that every movie I want will be brought over (Hell, a lot of movies I want are still VHS only. It took a lot of bitching and moaning from the RCPS fanclub to get Fox to release "Shock Treatment" on DVD) so while I support them making a home movie format for those who aren't happy with 480lol I just wish they'd make up their damn mind and stick with one format. I don't care if they choose BLU-RAY, HD-DVD, or ABCDEFG-DVD just pick one!

Also, this move by Sony to release that sheet reeks of desperation. Its sad, really. They're like the boyfriend that insists that their girlfriend keeps her cellphone on all the time, tries to start fights with other men that even look at their girlfriend, and emotionally and even physically abuse their girlfriends to keep them because they're so damn insecure.

A real man trusts his girl until she betrays that trust and knows that if she leaves he can find someone else. Sony needs to trust that the PS3 is good enough to compete with the Xbox 360. Yes, some of us are on the internet bitching about the pricetag and the inclusion of BLU-RAY, but we were all also bitching about the 360 tard pack and their decision to include DVD-9 instead of HD-DVD. Sony needs to have a little faith in their console.

Like I've said before I am very critical of Sony and I want to be proven wrong.
Never assumed you judged me, no need to apologize.

I agree I dislike the format war crap myself, I resent the thought of having multiple player types like I had to back when it was a fight between Betamax and VHS. The killer for me then was Betamax was flatly the superior format for quality, VHS simply had retail presence. Guess which one I jumped on board with... :roll: Anyow once again I am going with what I consider the superior overall format which is blu-ray, hopefully I do not lose this gamble twice. Fortunately however if I do this time by the time it really matters to me, burners will be out for the other format allowing me to convert easily enough. Was not quite so easy to do that back then.

I agree with you on how Sony is acting, however I do want to point out MS was acting the Exact same way and ended up rushing the 360 out months before it was really ready, hence all the problems with that first run.

My opinion on the whole console race mess from a Gaming perspective ignoring my other reasons for purchasing this time around. I think in the end the console and what it can do has only a small fraction of influence on total sales for the system. To me I firmly believe that the Game library makes up by far the majority of users mind on which system they will buy. Afterall the original Xbox was hardware wise more powerful then the PS2, yet the PS2 outsold it left and right. Why? most people I ever spoke too always felt the games available for the PS2 were on the average more appealing. Like it or lump it the 360 has been out one year and off the top of my head I can only name perhaps half a dozen titles that I hear regularly mentioned by owners as great games. To me half a dozen great games hardly justifies a $400 console, that only justifies a $250 console to me.

Will the PS3 have the same success of titles the PS2 had? hard to say, one wants to say yes but there is a hitch to that. One there are by far not nearly as many exclusive titles, developers want maximum exposure. Two the PS3 is alot more difficult to program for then the 360 and Wii because everyone knows its power and are going to be turned off by less then extremely impressive amounts of eye candy, power is a double edged sword.

We shall see.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I dont understand why people keep buying the newest and greatest entertainment systems they can find. I'd be so happy if I just had a basic TV and Cable. Doesnt have to be a huge tv at all. Luckily for me I have a computer. Not the best, not too terriblly expensive. I have a borrowed TV from a friend and my PS2 and 360 can play movies (although I only bought them for the games) so im set. But honestly, paying 400+ dollars on a new system that requires you to go out and rebuy the same movie just for slightly better graphics? Ill pass. Id rather just walk my butt to the PX and buy a 20 dollar Dvd, some popcorn, walk back (btw did I tell you Lance Corporals arent allowed to have vehicles in Okinawa?) and bam im set. Then again, im a cheap penny pinching rdm. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Well, I am a movie buff and when my VCR died late last year after almost ten years of loyal service I finally caved in and replaced the remaining VHS movies I had with DVD's.

The thing is I dropped a lot of cash at Wal-Mart, Amazon.com, and Suncoast to replace those movies (I swear, The Blues Brothers was the hardest to find but it was so worth it) so I really don't wanna go out and re-buy everything again especially since I just finished replacing all my VHS movies.

I do have friends who would gladly ditch all their DVD's and get both an HD-DVD and BLU-RAY players and get as many movies on those formats as they can. I see no reason to do so. If you want to get a HD-DVD or BLU-RAY and get movies on those formats to fill holes in your collection (Or want some movies on that format. I would love to have Saving Private Ryan on a HD format just because I know the D-Day scene would be so cool in HD.) but gutting your movie collection to rebuy it on a shiny new format...that is a waste. But...I'll gladly look through your collection and offer you some good deals if you got anything I want. :lol:
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

PhoenixHawk wrote:I dont understand why people keep buying the newest and greatest entertainment systems they can find
I agree with you there. I don't understand the HDTV craze at all. I do have one (more cuz my old TV died than for any other reason), but the diference isn't any big deal. Half the time during a movie I wander off anyway -- it's just background noise.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Okuza wrote:
PhoenixHawk wrote:I dont understand why people keep buying the newest and greatest entertainment systems they can find
I agree with you there. I don't understand the HDTV craze at all. I do have one (more cuz my old TV died than for any other reason), but the diference isn't any big deal. Half the time during a movie I wander off anyway -- it's just background noise.
Its another form of planed obsolence. And people do buy into it.

Interestingly enough, as most of you probably know, we would have had much better gen2 TVs if the Republicans in congress hadn't been so eager to give away billions of dollars of spectrum to the TV companies. Rather than wait for better tecnologes in the piepline, they abratarly chose HDTV as the viechle to carry their largress, soffacating the up and coming better techs in the cradle.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tivia wrote:I agree with you on how Sony is acting, however I do want to point out MS was acting the Exact same way and ended up rushing the 360 out months before it was really ready, hence all the problems with that first run.
I think they just wanted it out before Christmas :oops: more revenue that way perhaps :?

As for PS2 outselling XBox, it was out a good year or so before the XBox and had the knockon effect of the PlayStation being so successful.
It's a crappy console that's only held back games, in my opinion, the only reason there are so many "good games" is due to the sheer volume of the library, for every decent game there's about 50 sh*t ones :roll:

I recently found out MK Armageddon won't be available for XBox in PAL format... what the f*ck is with that? But Wii will get it... :? Who the f*ck will buy it for the Wii? The average age for someone who owns that console will be 10 :roll: Stupid Midway :x
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

A couple of things people need to understand about HDTV.

If you buy a cheap HDTV, you wasted your money.
If you buy a HDTV without the high quality cables, you wasted your money
If you buy a HDTV and do not upgrade your cable/satellite service to HD, you wasted your money.

Most people fail to realize that if you are going to upgrade to HD you have to invest in the entire package or it just is not worth it. If you adhere to the above then the difference in picture quality is night and day from a standard TV, and I owned a fairly nice sony WEGA.

Why did I jump on the HDTV bandwagon? Personally only because I got a phenominal deal. Left to my own devices I was quite happy with my WEGA, although I did have a HTPC and was always annoyed at the format problems playing on a regular TV. My situation is I work for a major warranty company and through a little bit of luck, a little having been here so long and a little knowing the right people I landed myself a 37" sharp HDTV LCD for around $200. However I want to note that I see them in the classified ads around $500 all the time. So since I got this I went out and spent the $200 in high quality cables for my various components, and I upgraded my cable service to HD for the reason of they were running a special package to get the HDTV, HDDVR, and 8meg high speed all for an additional $10 a month. I wanted the 8mb internet anyhow and normally that was $10 alone so this was a easy decision for me.

Why I considered it in the first place? simple I was tired of lugging around that heavy stinking WEGA every bloody time I wanted to rearrange the living room, which for me is quite often ( I get bored easily ). I could have gone to a non HD flat panel, but hey If I am already going to spend the money for a flat panel the price difference at that point is neglegable and since HD is at this point the future standard, no point in fighting the inevitable. Now that I own it with a total out of pocket investment of around $400, I have no regrets howeve I have some perspective changes. 1) Hell would freeze over before I dropped 3gs on one, I could afford to but while the difference is big...it is just a TV. 2) Had I not got this deal, Cables and TV I could have easily justified $800~1000 for a 32" or larger. The Ease of mobility, the crispness of the picture, and most importantly for me the ease in which it works with a HTPC is Absolutely 100% worth it. 3) I would never Buy any brand other then Sharp or Samsung with the possible exception to Phillips for an LCD, the piture quality loss just plain is not worth it. 4) I will never throw away my DVD collection, Component video on the HD looks fantastic! It looks far better then my old Svideo connection on my WEGA, even with a top notch Svideo cable. I will start purchasing new movies in blu-ray, but barring they make blue Ray players absolutely not work with DVD I see no reason to gut an entire collection I have spent years building ( to date I have about 500 dvds ). Trust me, Watch FFVII Advent Children on a regular TV, then watch it on an HD with good cables...the difference is breathtaking.

My advice: If you have the desire for space and use a HTPC, AND if you Ever plan on owning a 360 or PS3...Buy a HDTV it is worth it. Do not, I repeat Do not spend an arm and a leg for it, these things last forever and outside of actual LCD damage are extremely cheap to repair. find someone whos died on them and they want to offload it and not deal with the hassle. Find a local repair and so long as the LCD picture is good, the internal boards should cost no more then $200 to replace and you will have a perfectly good HD flat panel on the cheap. Of course the other option is things like Craigs list, and your local classifieds watch for deals and snap one up. 32" to 37" to me is the optimal size for ease of portability and best picture viewing and price. Smaller is too hard to watch in widescreen format IMO, and larger just does not justify the price jump.